Xbox LIVE Is Hitching A Ride With Windows 8 to Your PC

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
Snowalker said:
I sure as hell hope Xbox Live doesn't become the staple for PC's, I already pay for internet, i don't want to pay to use that internet.
If that happens you can always dual boot Linux and game through WINE. Not a perfect solution, but it's what I'm gonna do should Live want me to pay for internet on top of my internet.

OT: Not impressed with 8, then again, I don't much care for touchscreens. I'm planning on doing what I did with XP to 7 (Vista wasn't an upgrade, I don't give a damn what anyone says), wait until I absolutely have to have the upgrade to continue gaming.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
"The wildly popular Windows 7" Hah. "Wildly popular". It didn't try to murder your grandmother as soon as you opened the box, so people already liked it more than Vista. Other than that, it was just Windows: The Next One. Popularity had nothing to do with it.

I don't like much I've been hearing about Windows 8 at all, I wonder if it will continue the tradition of every even-numbered release of Windows being utter shit. I swear, if WINE was just a little better with games I wouldn't have any Windows boxen left on my network at all.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
could be good I suppose, could be bad also, Ill wait to see if they try and charge for the functionality aside from the standard cost of an os, Ill probably be able to get it for free anyway since if you take the right tech classes, ms will give you things like an os or access for free.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
"The wildly popular Windows 7" Hah. "Wildly popular". It didn't try to murder your grandmother as soon as you opened the box, so people already liked it more than Vista. Other than that, it was just Windows: The Next One. Popularity had nothing to do with it.

I don't like much I've been hearing about Windows 8 at all, I wonder if it will continue the tradition of every even-numbered release of Windows being utter shit. I swear, if WINE was just a little better with games I wouldn't have any Windows boxen left on my network at all.
Actualy windows 7 is a pretty damn good OS, it beats the hell out of xp also and its rather hard to break, or at least I have had almost no problems with it. Once you use it, its very impressive.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Worgen said:
Actualy windows 7 is a pretty damn good OS, it beats the hell out of xp also and its rather hard to break, or at least I have had almost no problems with it. Once you use it, its very impressive.
Yeah, I've been using it for a year now. It's okay. It's better than XP in a number of ways, while being worse in a few others. Vista, however, was shit and I'm betting Windows 8 will be too.
My laptop, my home server, and my media box all run Linux, though, so that's really what I'm comparing it to and Windows just doesn't stack up. The only reason my main workstation runs Windows is because I like to game and as I said, WINE's just not quite good enough at that yet.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
So, I guess with the release of Windows 8, PC gamers are finally going to get Halo 3?

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
stupid double post

EDIT:I think this is why we need a request delete button for our posts.

Michael Hirst

May 18, 2011
I don't see why they would charge for Xbox Live on PC's it really would spell death for their own service especially since Steam is a perfectly good platform on which to play online games and keep in touch with friends for free.

As for the actual idea I'm not all that impressed, Microsoft in my experience has always made systems very tedious, ala Games for Windows Live. I even find the logging on system for the 360 to be quite a pain, having to sign a friend in to a second account to play some mindless co-op gets annoying.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Okay, but will it be an unusable, barely functional, slow and just downright useless piece of shit with a console interface just like GFWL is?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
lithium.jelly said:
Worgen said:
Yeah, I've been using it for a year now. It's okay. It's better than XP in a number of ways, while being worse in a few others. Vista, however, was shit and I'm betting Windows 8 will be too.
My laptop, my home server, and my media box all run Linux, though, so that's really what I'm comparing it to and Windows just doesn't stack up. The only reason my main workstation runs Windows is because I like to game and as I said, WINE's just not quite good enough at that yet.
Vista was shit, I had to do an install of it for my hardware class and no part of vista doesnt suck, I doubt win8 will be like vista though, probably closer to win7 with allot of extra crap thrown it, really coming out with a new os already seems like a bad idea to me. I mean, how many pc gamers really want windows live to have a bigger part in pc games? Pretty much none of them since its always sucked.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Oh wow windows 8 i had no idea i had already turned 70 yrs old and needed my icons lown up to massive proportions and magnified just so i could see the damn things.

I think i'll pass and just stay with XP and Windows 7 the versions that actually look okay and not copy+pasted from a phone's OS

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
Oh, for fuck's sake.
Man, I just accepted Windows 7 (I've never been a fan of change, and I had the same old laptop running Windows XP for three years or something). I don't like that layout in the picture; fuck all that "user-friendly, everything's-right-in-front-of-your-face" nonsense, I personally find it tacky. Also, I really don't want to combine everything, anyway; isn't that what smartphones are for? There's a reason I don't own one of those. The closest thing is my iPod Touch, and I only have Angry Birds on it because I get really fucking bored at work sometimes (honestly, that's why I paid the buck twelve for it). In this situation, I think I'm going to be one of those old people that stays put until they have to move.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
What they've demonstrated of Windows 8 so far hasn't really impressed me to be honest - it looks a bit inaccessible and have a better interface, but hopefully that was the Metro version they were showing. I guess I'm fine with XBL on Windows 8 as long as it means I don't have to pay them any extra money, isn't necessary to play games, doesn't compete with Steam and I can have some of what was Xbox exclusive games.

aashell13

Jan 31, 2011
All this extra stuff is well and good to talk about, BUTT:
1. Does it work really well?
2. Does it cost more?

If the answers to those questions are not yes and no respectively then it's just useless junk that'll have to be shut off or hacked out by the user. A lot (if not all) of Microsoft's current generation of "windows live" services and software are really shoddy. Besides, all that functionality has already existed on PC for years.

Also, as a PC gamer I have exactly zero desire to involve myself with XBL in any form.

Worgen said:
Vista was shit, I had to do an install of it for my hardware class and no part of vista doesnt suck, I doubt win8 will be like vista though, probably closer to win7 with allot of extra crap thrown it, really coming out with a new os already seems like a bad idea to me. I mean, how many pc gamers really want windows live to have a bigger part in pc games? Pretty much none of them since its always sucked.
Considering win7 is basically vista with all the crap taken OUT, I certainly hope MS doesn't try to make win7+junk=win8. Then we're right back at the vista debacle.

The person who gets the STEAM library on linux will be my hero forever...

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
"One can't help but wonder if the introduction of Xbox LIVE to a desktop OS spells the death of Games for Windows LIVE, as it would provide essentially the same service."

God fucking no. MS can fucking leave the PC alone.

"Perhaps if we're lucky, it will also lead to an increase in PC games that feature achievements and gamer score."

And I hope this is sarcasm.

"adding LIVE functionality to the desktop and mobile side of Windows "brings your games, music, movies, and TV shows to your favorite Microsoft and Windows devices." "

What does they think I use a fucking PC for in the first place?

Eugh.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Windows ME.

I'm having flashbacks.

Plus they have cocked up the cross platform support - x86 applications won't run on ARM platform devices, and thus have to have a custom version of the program. That means that while you might be able to use the same OS on your mobile/Tablet and your PC, you won't have cross platform applications unless the creators make two versions of the program.

That's basically the same situation as existed with Windows 98/SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7 combined with Windows CE/Mobile. It claims to be the same OS, but lacks any kind of built in support for running programs cross platform without multiple versions of the program.

Sud0_x

Dec 16, 2009
Excuse me as I bow in prayer in the hope that I never have to experience this monstrosity.

aaaaaaaaaaand done.

They should consider releasing a barebones version without all the bullshit.
There will be an inevitable shitstorm over this, I'll just continue failing to care.

Windows is my dominant OS, wouldn't call it a favourite though, bit of a love/hate.
Probably wouldn't touch it if it weren't for my gaming needs, which are waning these days....
I hate today's market.

And I'm only 20.

In case anyone's wondering about my sexual preferences:
Open-Source, no bloat. Actually, that works the other way too....

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Not getting achievements (that shows up on my xbox live profile) is really the only thing that keeps me from gaming a lot more on the pc. (And before someone tells me that achievements dosn't mean anything, that is kind of true but for me achievement hunting is a big part of the enjoyment i get from games)