Xbox LIVE Is Hitching A Ride With Windows 8 to Your PC

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
The article claims that Windows 7 is "wildly popular". What's that based on? I've never even heard of anybody rushing out to buy Windows 7 - it's just the version of Windows that came with their new computer, or that their employer provided.

Also, the article talks about Windows 8 in the present tense, but it hasn't actually been released yet. Isn't it a bit premature to say what it is like? Anything could change between now and the final release.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
Frostbite3789 said:
Low Key said:
I foresee the PC market and the console market merging in the future. This is certainly a step in that direction, especially coupled with digital distribution. Besides, Microsoft knows they essentially already have a lock on the PC game market. Maybe not through their XBL service, but people definitely need Windows to play PC games, and they know both Sony nor Nintendo can compete in that aspect.
You mean a merging where PC gamers don't even get a shitty port, they'll just get the 360 version straight up and lose everything that makes PC gaming what it is?

SIGN ME UP! /sarcasm
I was thinking more along the lines of having two PCs capable of playing games at a high quality, or at least one low power, low cost media server (see Raspberry Pi) at the center of everything and having a high end PC connected to a big screen TV. Maybe a couple of decades from now, our big screen TVs will have computer components built in already.

Perhaps something like this:

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Yaay, another go at standardizing PC hardware, which will NEVER happen, I can't wait to see what happens, got to get movie equitment, please watch below.

The coming attraction is Microsoft being stupider then normal.

Seriously, its bloody stupid, why not make it a addon for windows 7, and its sorta trying to cut out ANY competition, which is bloody pointless while theres still Gamers Gate and Steam floating around.

ZippyDSMlee said:
If it can play 360 games then I will be interested even more so once its hacked and it be able to play Xbox titles and hook those up to private and public servers. ^0^
Yaay, basically, it'll still be fun to watch no one using the service on Windows except for the occasional casual player and them trying to make it better, fail, and then have to clean up their mess. *Tosses popcorn at Zippy, they share at the presentation.*
All THEIR trying to do is cut Steam and other Digital Distributors out of the running from the get go. Which will be shot down promptly. Again, Microsoft is trying to salvage their fail at other PC gaming with a port of a service from the Xbox, which will only be compatible with a few games.

Low Key said:
Frostbite3789 said:
Low Key said:
I foresee the PC market and the console market merging in the future. This is certainly a step in that direction, especially coupled with digital distribution. Besides, Microsoft knows they essentially already have a lock on the PC game market. Maybe not through their XBL service, but people definitely need Windows to play PC games, and they know both Sony nor Nintendo can compete in that aspect.
You mean a merging where PC gamers don't even get a shitty port, they'll just get the 360 version straight up and lose everything that makes PC gaming what it is?

SIGN ME UP! /sarcasm
I was thinking more along the lines of having two PCs capable of playing games at a high quality, or at least one low power, low cost media server (see Raspberry Pi) at the center of everything and having a high end PC connected to a big screen TV. Maybe a couple of decades from now, our big screen TVs will have computer components built in already.
That will never happen because consoles are meant SOULY for games, while PCs can play games, but also do a hell ton of other things. Also, we'll probably only get the market place on PC anyways, which we'll have to pay a subscription for too windows. Its not going to end well, because their just trying to take some PC market, which will NEVER happen, at least while Steam and other Digital Distributors are out there, because they'll ALWAYS be infinetly better then one games bad marketplace.
I think the guy you quoted above you is right, though, they don't WANT you to play Console games UNLESS you PAY too. Not only do you have to buy the game, disk copy, then do everything related to that, THEN you have to, most likely, use a 360 pad. Its basically a Xbox simulator, its not going to format every game to a pc format, making it inferior to Steam and what not.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
I am almost positive that it will support cross platform play because M$ wants Windows 8 to run on EVERYTHING possible, tablets, consoles, pc, mp3players, smartphones. One unified OS. While I like the idea, I strongly dislike that hey are integrating LIVE into it, hopefully it is an toggle-able thing where you can turn it on or off, because I don't and will probably never have a LIVE account.

And in reality the ONLY thing that would make me convert to Windows 8 would be the next Direct X, actually being used and exclusive to W8(kinda like DX 10 was, but that flopped because of XB360).

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Well, if it's a way to grab those Arcade games I want without wasting it on a 360, I say, sure why not.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
kurokenshi said:
It gets on my nerves because it shouldn't be a selling point it's an extra and it shouldn't interfere with the core games experience which they do! Oh look you started the game have an achievement!
So you hate STEAM too, then?

And...What? How does it impact the core experience?