Xbox LIVE Is Hitching A Ride With Windows 8 to Your PC

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
Ug, every time I hear something about Win8 it sounds worse and worse. I figured after the Vista fiasco MS would button down a bit, and Win7 suggested they were going in the right direction - apparently not. GFWL is one of the worst things I've every had on my computer, and I don't see how integrating it will make it better.

I'm still using WinXP, I figured once I had a use for Win7 I'd get a copy - it likes I may be picking up a copy simply because Win8 is coming out.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I just quit using Windows XP this year, and I rather like Windows 7, I don't for see myself buying Windows 8 any time soon, especially not after the whole vista disaster. Also adding Xbox live to the PC is just kinda silly, last thing we need is another service I have to sign into to play my freaking video game.

plus2exp

Aug 31, 2011
I suppose I should thank Microsoft. I've been looking for a good reason to switch over to a MAC for years now.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
"Perhaps if we're lucky, it will also lead to an increase in PC games that feature achievements and gamer score."

Ok, I'm not "down" with what the prevailing views are on gaming trends these days, beyond the basic "DRM is bad, mkay?" philosophy... PLEASE tell me that the above sentence was an example of blatant irony.

As opposed to, say, a statement that some box coming up in the corner of the screen every fifteen seconds saying "Achievement Unlocked: You've Walked to the Other Side of the Room" is a GOOD thing.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Satsuki666 said:
kurokenshi said:
"PC games that feature achievements and gamer score" I believe this statement right here is what is currently fueling the deep hatred I have for consoles!

EDIT: Shouldn't the only achievement you worry about be finishing the game?
Shouldnt you not care about a feature that takes nothing away from the game but adds more for some people?
It takes away from everybody as it discourges game companies from creating cheat codes and mod tools/support as to not interfere with the achievements.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
unlike most of the people on this thread I love achievements and gamer score as for me they ad a ton of replay value to any game so this is exciting

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
And maybe I'm missing something obvious here... but what exactly are you guys complaining about?

If it's that Windows may contain unnecessary functionality that just uses hard disk space and memory, well, d'uh, welcome to EVERY SINGLE VERSION OF WINDOWS SINCE '95. Certainly I'd like to have the opportunity to either uninstall this thing, choose NOT to install it on setup, or just turn it off.

But... it seems to me here that MS isn't talking about a second "Games for Windows Live" experience. (My sole example of which was paying for "Bioshock 2" and then finding out that unless I signed up for a "GfWL" account, I COULDN'T SAVE MY GAME. Also I have to wade through about ten pages of MS bulls--t propagandizing to get there. And even when I actually tried to sign up using the username "f--kthiss--t2038523", I kept getting the error message "cannot connect to server". Never again, thanks.)

Seems like this thing may not be voluntary in terms of INSTALLING it (which is, I admit, irritating enough, but as I've pointed out above, that's been pretty much common with every new feature of every new version of Windows since '95) but it is in terms of USING it. You have the option to ignore it. It might provide some kind of competition to "Steam", which can only be a good thing. (Again, the way I found out about "Steam" was because I couldn't play a game I'd already bought unless I signed up to it. Gee, thanks! As much as I like Steam for what it's doing now, it just annoyed me back then.)

So... a service that you don't have to use, but if you do want to use, it will presumably give you additional access to content such as games markets, etc. What's the negative here? I don't get it.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I could definitely see the point of it, but I'm still averse to W8, given that it's made for touchsceen and Microsoft says that regular screens are boring and lifeless. W7 is all I need, thank you!

Zipa

batlh bIHeghjaj.
Dec 19, 2010
TheMadDoctorsCat said:
And maybe I'm missing something obvious here... but what exactly are you guys complaining about?

If it's that Windows may contain unnecessary functionality that just uses hard disk space and memory, well, d'uh, welcome to EVERY SINGLE VERSION OF WINDOWS SINCE '95. Certainly I'd like to hate the opportunity to either uninstall this thing, choose NOT to install it on setup, or just turn it off.

But... it seems to me here that MS isn't talking about a second "Games for Windows Live" experience. (My sole example of which was paying for "Bioshock 2" and then finding out that unless I signed up for a "GfWL" account, I COULDN'T SAVE MY GAME. Also I have to wade through about ten pages of MS bulls--t propagandizing to get there. And even when I actually tried to sign up using the username "f--kthiss--t2038523", I kept getting the error message "cannot connect to server". Never again, thanks.)

Seems like this thing may not be voluntary in terms of INSTALLING it (which is, I admit, irritating enough, but as I've pointed out above, that's been pretty much common with every new feature of every new version of Windows since '95) but it is in terms of USING it. You have the option to ignore it. It might provide some kind of competition to "Steam", which can only be a good thing. (Again, the way I found out about "Steam" was because I couldn't play a game I'd already bought unless I signed up to it. Gee, thanks! As much as I like Steam for what it's doing now, it just annoyed me back then.)

So... a service that you don't have to use, but if you do want to use, it will presumably give you additional access to content such as games markets, etc. What's the negative here? I don't get it.
Problem with it is everyone sees it for what it is... windows trying to cash in on the obvious success of steam by ramming live down our throats. PC gamers have long memories especially when it comes to Microsoft basically telling PC gamers to GTFO and buy a console.
People don't want this bloatware, they want a OS that works is stable. Plus a PC can do any of those things anyway without live on almost every modern OS.

Its just not going to happen and one day Microsoft will wake up and realize.

Then again MS do seem to be sticking to their pattern with operating systems, they bring out a good one then a shit one then a good one ect.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
This just in: Microsoft continuing their run of every other operating system they make be complete shite.

Nashidar

Jun 2, 2010
Actually - I really hope that Xbox Live integration will mean that Microsoft will finally start making moves to have people play games with/against each other whether they are on PC or Xbox.

Obviously it cannot work with all games but it could with quite a few.

Interesting thing though:

Microsoft cut out a LOT of wasteful code (or whatever) to produce Windows 7.

Its the reason why Windows 7 has been such a success.

I really hope they don't stuff that up with Windows 8.

However, as others have said, history would suggest that Windows 8 may not be that great and that we should wait for Windows 9.

Happy for Microsoft to prove me wrong though.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
If it can play 360 games then I will be interested even more so once its hacked and it be able to play Xbox titles and hook those up to private and public servers. ^0^

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
For the less angry amongst you looking for tidbits of info (albeit filtered through positive people):

Tech News Today 327
http://youtu.be/_XGgn2oFxbY#t=02m04s

Oh, I should clarify... general info about Windows 8... specifics on how XBox Live will actually work with Win 8 has yet to be revealed.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Sounds like they're just trying to get people to pay for multiplayer on Windows as well as the Xbox to me.

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
OMG THEY ADDED EXTRA FEATURES!? RAAAAAGE!!!! I think that people are still whining because it's not going to be be a fast version of XP. like they did with 7 and vista. (although vista deserved it.)I'm not gonna judge the OS until someone I know has used it or I have used it myself.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Well, I'll probably end up getting it, but in the mean time I'll keep on happily using Vista.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I've tested the dev version and all i have to say is it's a windows 7 made tablet friendly, theres no point in changing from 7, especially with what they've done to my start meenu....it was so small and nicely ordered now it's little and big boxes everywhere (not helpful when you have programs such as 2 copies of visual studio which each contain about 10-20 links to various programs for each with the folder).

I'm lucky enough to get 2 copies (more if i request them) of each OS that microsoft make for free from my university, windows 8 shall simply be stored on my hard drive, maybe one day i will make an in car computer and use it till then i have no use for it.