Xbox One Accessories Feature Large Price Tags

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Reeve said:
This is one of the reasons why I'm a PC gamer.
Reeve said:
It's no surprise to find such uninformed opinions though when most of the people commenting here probably don't pay for all this stuff. I bet it comes out of your parents' wallet, isn't that right kids? That made me chuckle too on the thread from a few weeks ago about how Sony are going to charge for online play. And people there expressed the view that they did not have a problem with it. Again, likely due to the fact that they don't have to worry about the cost. Mommy and Daddy will be covering it for you.
I wish I had a signature. These would be one of those posts under the subtitle: "Why people think PC Gamers are elitist jerks"

Got any data to back up your claim, or are you just spouting things to make your e-peen bigger?
You can look at this: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/escapistmagazine.com

It clearly shows that most people who visit the Escapist are still at school (not college) and visit the website while IN school! :D

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
In other news water was found to be wet to the touch. Really if anyone is suprised M$ will be gouging players for any and everything they possibly can they really needs a reality check.

Next will come the attempts to criminalise anyone using 3rd party instead of the insanely priced official version, at the very least updates will be unleashed to brick the guilty devices.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
darthzew said:
Xbox 360 controllers are already about sixty dollars. Are we just bashing Microsoft because it's "in" right now?

EDIT: They're down to forty now, but I swear they used to be more expensive. No doubt the One controllers will go down too.
Maybe some special controller was $60, but the basic controller was only ever $50 at most.

Reeve

Feb 8, 2013
Reeve said:
Thank you for the specs... they allowed me to show you are full of crap.

Your processor is $160 by itself
Your graphics card is $110
Your OS is $100

So we are at $360... and we haven't even gotten to the rest of the rig. I'm gonna go ahead and say your rig cost between $600 and $700 like mine.
Ha, ha. You assume that I got it all for the full price? :D Some parts are second hand. And it was put together.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Reeve said:
Strazdas said:
Reeve said:
Edit: People saying that because they're priced the same that makes it O.K. are not considering that perhaps most people are poorer than they were seven years ago. The economy is not the same. It's no surprise to find such uninformed opinions though when most of the people commenting here probably don't pay for all this stuff.
Most people are not poorer. The crysis is over. stop blaming it for everything.
This made me LOL hard, thanks! :D It's the beginning that's over, the best is yet to come, baby.
sorry, even panicking fools can no longer cause a second wave of crysis. this one has done its toll. time to move on. because you sound like those people who blame modern kid behaviuor on the great depression.
The average person can't put together their own PC, or even pick out compatible parts most of the time. While it's a good deal for people like you, not everyone can do that.
Yes he can. he is just often lazy and use ignorance as an excuse for not spending 30 minutes reading up on what to chose and how to put it. seriuosly, PCs went a long way and its not hard to put one together. especially now what we get motherboards with CPUs that arent ceperable so the hardest part - isntalling CPU - is gone anyway. everything else is putting the right plugs into right sockets and screwing the case.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I still need to snag a 360 wired controller for my PC. I did have my PS3 controller working on it but it was a pain.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Reeve said:
The current generation prices are a disgrace and it's no surprise to find that nothing's changed. This is one of the reasons why I'm a PC gamer.

Edit: People saying that because they're priced the same that makes it O.K. are not considering that perhaps most people are poorer than they were seven years ago. The economy is not the same. It's no surprise to find such uninformed opinions though when most of the people commenting here probably don't pay for all this stuff. I bet it comes out of your parents' wallet, isn't that right kids? That made me chuckle too on the thread from a few weeks ago about how Sony are going to charge for online play. And people there expressed the view that they did not have a problem with it. Again, likely due to the fact that they don't have to worry about the cost. Mommy and Daddy will be covering it for you.
You know, I am going to be buying a PS4 this generation probably. I would really appreciate it if you didn't insult me for my choice in gaming platform. I am also considering possibly getting a gaming lap top too, I see the appeal of PC gaming too, but this general attitude just really gets on my nerves. Your platform is more powerful, fair enough, but please, PLEASE, stop with the superiority. Consoles are fun too, I'm looking forward to the PS4 just as much to getting a more powerful computer, let's not insult people for the way they choose to play games. It just isn't worth it.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
those convenient rechargeable devices
I have yet to find one of those. Seriously, I'm I the only one who prefers to just pop in 2 AA batteries and be good to go?
Also, while I hate the Xbone as much as the next guy, I think there is really nothing special about these prices. At this point I think we are just hating on MS because its cool now.

Rylot

May 14, 2010
major_chaos said:
I have yet to find one of those. Seriously, I'm I the only one who prefers to just pop in 2 AA batteries and be good to go?
Eh, I've got a charge station with two rechargeable battery slots so it's always got one at a full recharge they're just as easy to snap into place as the regular battery packs. It cuts down on the number of batteries I have to buy and try and search through drawers for when a controller dies.

T3H-G04T

Mar 3, 2010
major_chaos said:
Also, while I hate the Xbone as much as the next guy, I think there is really nothing special about these prices. At this point I think we are just hating on MS because its cool now.
The AA-powered gamepad I was using used to be a real PITA for me. You "only had to pop in two fresh batteries" when they ran out, but you had to remember to recharge them too. I always tended to run into a "all my batteries are flat" problem.

With a solution like in DualShock 3 even if the gamepad runs out of juice I can always hook it up to any USB port nearby and keep on playing - with my setup it's very convenient, cause I have a miniUSB cable right in front of me prepared for charging stuff. Plus it seems to hold the charge for way longer than the batteries did. And it's surprisingly light too. And even if the battery died I could hunt down a replacement for around 7 buck on eBay (straight from China or sth).

So yeah, I'm loving this way of handling wireless controllers.

Dansrage

Nov 9, 2010
But those prices are basically what we already pay for both the 360 and the PS3...
If you want to buy a brand new wireless 360 controller it's $49.99, a decent headset will cost you upwards of $30 and rechargeable battery packs are still $20.
Just glancing over Amazon, where things are generally cheapest:

(list prices):
360 controller: $49.99
Dualshock 3: $54.99
360 headset: $19.99
360 play and charge kit: $19.99
PS3 Bluetooth headset: $19.99

The prices for the Xbox One stuff are completely average, why does this even merit an article?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
antidonkey said:
I still need to snag a 360 wired controller for my PC. I did have my PS3 controller working on it but it was a pain.
Use Better DS3, works like a charm and doesn't leave a dangerous opening in your PC's security.

Ha, all this 'PC gaming superiority' does make me chuckle. I'm a mix of PC and console gamer, and the advantages I see with PC gaming is Steam's pricing, mods and better graphics (which on my nearly-4-year-old gaming laptop isn't really doing well in that department). Now, one thing you get with consoles is the fact that your system will be supported because of the money invested into it by Sony/MS/Nintendo/whomever, and that developers will(/should/depends on the developer) make a game that runs well and takes proper advantage of the hardware; they will, however, make sure that it runs first. I doubt that many developers are worrying that their games run on my laptop. They expect PC gamers to have deep wallets and to be able to afford to upgrade their parts every few years (some of which, I remind you, can cost about a third of the price of a PS4 at least).

I think a good way to put it is this:-

PC gaming doesn't provide a better play experience, spending more money does.

Olrod

Feb 11, 2010
$60 for an extra Xbone controller is like -$40 for an extra PS4 controller.

Y'know, because the PS4 costs $100 less than the Xbone.

Cliche

Aug 27, 2010
While a decent PC can be costly, their versatility as a home entertainment device is second to none.
For $700, you could build a PC that is capable of playing blurays, receiving and recording HDTV, and playing and/or emulating the majority of video games currently in existence.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Of course, you'll also have to factor in the cost of replacement batteries for that $60 controller, as it's not one of those convenient rechargeable devices.
The_Echo said:
Alright Microsoft, you have to be fucking kidding me with that one. You're STILL using batteries on your controllers?

$60 is how much is costs to buy a DualShock 3 (and hopefully 4). A little much I think, but whatever. I don't know the price of the 360 controller. But how can you possibly justify that price point on a controller that has less features?

Microsoft confirmed for ultimate scumlords. (Not that we didn't already know.)

1. New console accessories have ALWAYS been expensive.

2. If they included a rechargeable battery pack, they would have to charge more for it. Rechargeable battery packs like that aren't cheap to make, boyo. A power pack that works on batteries is much cheaper to include in as default and actually has its own advantages over a rechargeable battery pack anyway.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:

1. New console accessories have ALWAYS been expensive.

2. If they included a rechargeable battery pack, they would have to charge more for it. Rechargeable battery packs like that aren't cheap to make, boyo. A power pack that works on batteries is much cheaper to include in as default and actually has its own advantages over a rechargeable battery pack anyway.
I think you missed the part where I said
$60 is how much it costs to buy a DualShock 3
(It seems Amazon lists them at $55 now, but that's probably due to age.)

You know the DualShock 3 is rechargeable, right? Hell, it's not even a battery pack. It's just built in. On top of that, DualShock 3s have SIXAXIS motion control built in. It also uses BlueTooth, rather than some proprietary connection which requires a receiver if connected to a PC (the Xbone will be using some kind of WiFi connection).

So by my understanding that makes DS3 more expensive to produce than the 360 or Xbone's controllers. Which makes think that maaaaaybe they're overcharging for these controllers. And having to buy batteries/a rechargeable pack will only make it cost more.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Considering I had 4 wireless 360 controllers die on me they should of just charged me 240 for one working one!