Xbox One Designed "With Advertising in Mind"

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Friend almost convinced me to buy one.

Now i think I'll just give the whole console Gen a miss until he gets a PS4 sometime down the track.

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
Saulkar said:
WHELP! It is now confirmed that I will never purchase this fucker.

Now, if you will excuse me, time to play myself some Beyond Good and Evil from GOG on a machine that respects me because it is mine.
I'd say the same about my PC but it's my PC so I know it doesn't respect me =p

OT: It really grates at me that MS expects someone to pay $500 and a monthly fee for their new product then wants to monetize the userbase even more so. It's as amazing as it is repugnant, oh well, PC and retro-gaming master race and what not. Still a shame.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
$500 for the console.
Nearly-required Gold account. What is that, $7 a month?

And you still get ads. Everywhere.

Served to you by your faithful Kinect, which hangs on your every word.

Good. [http://youtu.be/lkLZf66rZsw?t=11s]

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Bwah?

Why talk about this? What consumer is going to say:

"Hey, I'm so glad the Xbox One has such intelligent ads plastered everywhere!"

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I'm really starting to wonder what parallel universe Xbox designers came from where all that looked like a really great idea, before it was scary now it's turning into hilarious.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
These guys really need someone to filter what they say and explain to the public what they're doing and why they're doing it.
Some kind of "public speaker" or even a relations manager or something.
We can even abbreviate it and call them a PR manager, yeah that's got a ring to it.

[sub]Seriously Microsoft, at this point you're tripping on your own shoelaces again and again, have someone tie them up.[/sub]

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
DAMNIT MICROSOFT.

You know, I try to be level headed about your stupid things, I keep a straight face and wait for more details, I even call other people out for jumping to rash conclusions about the X1 even though we don't know any details.

Welp....

Fuck you.

sid

Jan 22, 2013
2-hit combo of the month. Microsoft's advertising team says the xbone (specifically the kinect) is made just for them, and then goes ahead and says anything that isn't a controller is a waste of time.

Next week Microsoft sells their majority stock to the KKK for 13 bucks and a pack of gum.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
W-Www-Ww-Wa-was this a non-corporate public announcement?

WHAT KIND OF COMPANY PUBLICLY ANNOUNCES -

I don't understand anything anymore.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I really couldn't be happier about this news. Microsoft is about to get an ass kicking on a scale we have never seen before in gaming. Lessons will be learned from this level of stupidity.

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Good old Microsoft. They claw their way out of a sinkhole filled with crap, so they can dive in a slightly smaller sinkhole filled with crap. This truly is the console of the future.

Whose idea are these announcements? Who do they think decides to buy an Xbone because they know they'll be assaulted with ads targeted to them? Mindless consumerist drones? You don't even need to advertise to drones, they'll buy anything by definition!

And you just KNOW you can trust Microsoft to keep your information private. "[Microsoft] is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse so we can't do certain things." You know from those specifics that they put a lot of effort into that. And you know that no console manufacturer would ever have their database of user information hacked, so there's no real risk of having your targeted marketing data stolen and distributed to every retailer with an advertising budget.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Well, they do know anyone who buys an XBox One is going to be the prime sort of Brosumer with spare money who makes bad choices that advertisers specifically want to target. Wall to wall Axe commercials, Bro!

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
The more I see Microsoft these days the more I am reminded of the end of the Simpsons episode "the old man and Lisa".

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
So that's how they can afford to maintain 3 Xbox's per Xbox worth of cloud power

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
Okay. So just when Microsoft is starting to climb out of the ditch the dug themselves into, they're starting to dig again.

Even if I'd have to pay for PS+, at least it won't bombard me with advertisements (which I loathe). It makes very little sense to buy an XBOne now (just when I was waiting for some more backtracking to give people some more arguments for buying an XBOne over a PS4).