Xbox One DRM Crashes Killer Instinct Tournament

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
If the game was designed with the DRM policies in mind back when they were supposed to happen, then it's not a terrible surprise that there's some conflict with it. This may not be the console messing up and may just be the software. Time will tell but I'd bet several early titles could have a problem with this at the moment.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Behold: The second console that is actively worse than its predecessor in practice and not just in theory, and the first of this generation. Now it's a trend.

I imagine this is going to be an increasingly common occurrence in the future, and chances are good that despite all the naysaying we make here, the greater market will learn to tolerate it, and the next round of restrictions can be applied.
All the way to Always Online Subscriptions.

What are you going to do about it, you consumer peasant? Complain? Pah!

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
MinionJoe said:
Chaosritter said:
You know what the irony is?
Yes, and this isn't it.

Irony would be Microsoft's DRM giving everyone free games.
The way Chaosritter words his example, it's just as ironic as yours. DRM is supposed to combat piracy and he's pointing out that, often enough, it encourages piracy instead, since many DRM implementations make purchased copies inferior to the cracked version.

I'm sorry but ironic examples don't follow some heavily restricted definition, that can only be interpreted in one certain way.

What is it with people around here arguing about irony, anyways? You're not the first person I've noticed do this on this forum.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
I'm not a PS4 fanboy by any means (still rockin' PS2, thankyewverymuch), but didn't Microsoft back off some of their retarded business decisions because of this right here:

Honestly, with as much internal sniping as there is at microsoft, I almost have to wonder if this is actually intentional sabotage of the console division...

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
DrOswald said:
I mean, Steam gives you like a full month and that hasn't stopped them from
being the most successful digital distribution service ever.
Actually, it's indefinite.

If you set the Steam client to offline mode, or end up having to boot it into offline mode for some reason, it will function in offline mode for as long as you like. Provided nothing happens to the locally stored account credentials, of course. Though, you can create a backup of the requisite files in case of such a dilemma.

The common misconception that Steam has a bi-weekly/monthly check-in stemmed from a bug in the offline-mode. However, that bug was fixed months ago.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
So all the Xbone backers and Microsoft employees that made accounts to try to win over the escapists for their "previous" iteration of the Xbone, do me a favor.

Hold up your dominant arm up in front of you. Now bend your arm at your elbow so it makes a 90 degree angle. Next move your arm as is to your left or right depending on which arm it is. Now slap yourself across the face as hard as you can.

Because that right there. That.....shit that happened right there in the video....that was what you were defending this entire time.

That's all for today folks!

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Lieju said:
Grabehn said:
I think this is less anti-pirating, and more to stop you from lending your games to others, since apparently it happened because they played the game on a different console it was registered on.
MS considers lending games a bad thing? The one thing that made me buy several games back in the day and still does help a bit?... That's funny, and I was starting to think of buying an Xbone.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
What are you going to do about it, you consumer peasant? Complain? Pah!
Well I'm going to not buy the bloody thing.

JarinArenos said:
I'm not a PS4 fanboy by any means (still rockin' PS2, thankyewverymuch), but didn't Microsoft back off some of their retarded business decisions because of this right here:

Honestly, with as much internal sniping as there is at microsoft, I almost have to wonder if this is actually intentional sabotage of the console division...
Doesn't that apply only to physical copies, though (I have no idea how Sony handles digital copies, having bought no games from the PSN)?

CAPTCHA: Science class. No, this really isn't.

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Chaosritter said:
You know what the irony is? This wouldn't have happened with a pirated copy. :D
I just wanted you to know, as a nervous tic I move my cursor across my screen erratically when I'm reading, and for a second I seriously thought your avatar was following it. Eek.

So yeah, Microsoft's being a bunch of dicks, that's nothing new. That's why I'm sticking with my Wii U and PC.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
Surely Microsoft can recoup any money they apparently lose through the piracy their DRM prevents by...oh, I don't know, maybe they should charge their users for playing online? That would ensure that people would buy their own copies of games AND pay money to play them with their friends. I mean, what a clever marketing idea that is, think of all the money they would make! Everyone has to have their own copy, or they can't play online!

Oh. Oh wait.

Cunts.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
The streamer of the event in question posted his own YouTube video explaining what happened:

Hopefully people give this a listen to before they grab pitchforks, the flamethrowers and fan the flames of console wars and DRM topics aga-PFFFFFFFFFFFFTT HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh man, I tried to type that with a straight face! I'm sorry, I just couldn't...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
So, first they create the bloody thing to look like Hal 9000, and now we have active takes of "I'm sorry, Dave. I can't do that." Will the next console (X-Bone-Kinect'd-to-the-WHY-Bone) actively try to kill us before keeling over in a BSOD 404 Error?

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Shaidz said:
This Gen is dead to me... PC, oh baby, take me back, I'M SORRY!! I know now, you are better, PLEASE! I WAS WONG, GIVE ME ANOTHER CHANCE!
Since no-one else pointed it out... "I was wong"

hehehehe

wong...

anyway: OT:

Hey, look! Microsoft screwed up again!
They didn't actually fix what they said they would when the public made it openly clear that no-one wanted a console that held itself ransom if you didn't tip the bus boy or eat the house special!

I would say that PC gaming is better... But I'm not sure anymore!
I'll just stick to my 3DS and pokemon... THEY NEVER TURN ME AWAY!