Xbox One Exclusive Ryse Will Feature Microtransactions

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Is anyone really surprised to hear this considering the news that you'll have to buy fighters for Killer Instinct?

I really wanna know why Microsoft seems hell-bent on making their next-gen console so unattractive. Granted this one could be Crytek's call rather than Microsoft's, but still...that makes 2 Xbox Exclusives that are part of "THE GREATEST LAUNCH LINE-UP IN HISTORY!!!" that have thus far made themselves absolutely unappealing to (I'm guessing) the majority of the gamer market. So far, MS is failing to uphold that lofty "best in history" claim.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Can't help but feel a small amount of schadenfreude after news like this. This game was probably the ooonly thing that would make me even consider the Xbone. So to hear that it's going to include nonsense like makes my decision easier. Yaaaay.

Unfortunate for those who are getting an Xbone and are hoping this game turns out good. I wish you all the best. But again. Schadenfreude. Sorry.

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
And I thought that RYSE could be the XBOne's killer app. How wrong I was.

This pushes the XBOne in the wrong direction again, away from being an actual competitior for the PS4.

Before everybody yells "Microsoft fucked this up!" (oops, you already did): CryTek has had an F2P shooter called Warface in beta for quite some time now (it's shit, controls are floaty, gunplay is bad, no metagame to speak of and boring-ass maps, plus you have to use the most horrible browser app to start the game and even then... it takes ages to load), which has the most stupid microtransaction system imaginable, so they might just have had some idiot in sales think "what if we put microtransactions in this full priced game? What a great idea.". Probably the same guy who thought that making it Kinect exclusive (as which it was originally announced) would benefit sales.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Karloff said:
The booster packs contain "random sets of loot" according to Microsoft, and the tier you purchase - Bronze, Silver or Gold - determines how likely it is you'll get sweet gear, or something less advantageous.
Karloff said:
The booster packs contain "random sets of loot" according to Microsoft,
Karloff said:
The booster packs contain "random sets of loot"
Karloff said:
random sets of loot
Ye Gods, what the hell am I reading? D:

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Was watching a vid of this on IGN. So boring. Just hack and slash with a few enemies on screen. Granted, this was in a Colosseum fight and not a full scale battle. But Dynasty Warriors does better than this game, more enemies, better fighting and more interesting characters. The only part of Ryse that sounded awesome was upgrading the armour and weapons to change your characters appearance.

Hate the idea of buying extra gold to buy good gold loot. What happened to earning it? Might as well have a "Pay £20 and unlock all armour, all levels and have all achievements unlocked."If the game is fun to play, then gamers will enjoy the grind for more money and weapons. if you have a pay to play element, it just makes you game sound crap and not worth putting the time in. I know i dont have to buy it, i get that, but why would you have this element in your game? I know its a cash grab but still. The game is £50.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Well, now you know what Mattrick meant when he said the Xbox One would deliver "thousands of dollars of value"...

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
So they're aiming to reward gamers based on how much cash they can convince mummy to pay from the credit card or those that happen to be richer?

I realise it's on a rather small scale here, but the trends this could set for AAA games worries me.

I can almost hear it: "Ha you poor noob, can't afford a Spear of Destiny, Ima fuck you up."

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
kajinking said:
Ed130 said:
Oh Gods its spreading!

Quick! grab the flame-thrower and hose down the infected!
No! We must use our heavy flammers and burn the control pannel for the escape pods! It's the only way to keep them from escaping!
I think your underestimating the seriousness of the situation, the quarantine has already been breached. There's only one action left:

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Quiotu said:
Oh, look! It's the same bullshit booster pack system in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer that made it suck too!

Yeah, because I want my progression to be determined by RANDOM LOOT. Interested in this game even less now...
ME3 loot wasn't too bad, because even though it was random, any repeat items would actually boost their existing counterparts. Not perfect, but enjoyable enough. Heck, the ME3 multiplayer co-op is actually considered one of the best things to come out of that game. Even most of the flamers thought so, especially with how well the devs supported it with free patches and updates.
thats not much consolation when i'm after a specific item, and it keeps upgrading something i don't want or am going to use... but once you get lucky and have the setup you aim for, it does get a lot less frustrating. but i'll agree that the multiplayer in general was pretty awesome.

OT: not getting an xbone, so while this doesn't directly affect me, i'm hoping it completely tanks so other devs don't decide its a good idea...

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
Honestly? I don't have a problem with this; this is microtransactions in the least invasive way possible and appears to be closely modelled on ME3 multiplayer, which I pumped dozens of hours of playtime into, found extremely fun to play and never once paid out real money for [after buying the game, obviously]. This is the one form of microtransaction where the defence "But it's optional" actually stands up.

Regardless, this game looks like it's going to be utter shit, and I won't be playing it.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Does anybody even care about this game? I thought the general consensus is that it's a shitty QTE fest.
Ardent Xbone defenders, who are grasping for any and every straw they can.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Does anybody even care about this game? I thought the general consensus is that it's a shitty QTE fest.
I think Microsoft are just about the only ones since it is one of their few launch exclusives. Clearly Crytek don't give a fuck because they've thrown multiplayer and microtransactions in to break up the QTE monotany. Next it will be controlled only by the kinect.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare did the hack and slash without the QTE bullcrap better and without stupid microtransactions for pointless loot either. Yes, they may have ONE optional thing for just a couple nifty helmets and minor additional customization for $5 but they don't have this nonsense Ryse has.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
why am I getting the feeling that the XB1 launch will be tepid and 3rd parties will be utterly SHOCKED at it happening?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Ladies and gentlemen, the Perfect Dark: Zero of this console generation.
Now with monetization schemes!

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Is anyone really surprised to hear this considering the news that you'll have to buy fighters for Killer Instinct?
They should make fighters in Killer Instinct gambling micro-transactions.

So I could go on top of a mountain and laugh a laugh to be heard around the universe.

CriticalMiss said:
Adam Jensen said:
I think Microsoft are just about the only ones since it is one of their few launch exclusives. Clearly Crytek don't give a fuck because they've thrown multiplayer and microtransactions in to break up the QTE monotany. Next it will be controlled only by the kinect.
It was originally supposed to be a Kinect game actually.

I have to wonder how many buckets of money Microsoft is dumping on Crytek to shit this game out.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
Eeeeeh I actually don't have a problem with this system. I mean if it has to be in a game I would prefer a system where I can buy items with in game currency instead of being forced to use real money(even if it is like buying a bag of Crazy Bones in which you are at the mercy of randomness. Could be doubles could be something new, or it could be something great)

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
suitepee7 said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Quiotu said:
Oh, look! It's the same bullshit booster pack system in Mass Effect 3 multiplayer that made it suck too!

Yeah, because I want my progression to be determined by RANDOM LOOT. Interested in this game even less now...
ME3 loot wasn't too bad, because even though it was random, any repeat items would actually boost their existing counterparts. Not perfect, but enjoyable enough. Heck, the ME3 multiplayer co-op is actually considered one of the best things to come out of that game. Even most of the flamers thought so, especially with how well the devs supported it with free patches and updates.
thats not much consolation when i'm after a specific item, and it keeps upgrading something i don't want or am going to use... but once you get lucky and have the setup you aim for, it does get a lot less frustrating. but i'll agree that the multiplayer in general was pretty awesome.

OT: not getting an xbone, so while this doesn't directly affect me, i'm hoping it completely tanks so other devs don't decide its a good idea...
Yeah, this is the exactly problem of the system. I like being a sniper, and my first top gear weapon was... a shotgun. I had to start playing other classes I didn't like because the booster packs wouldn't give me a goddamn sniper rifle worth a shit. Eventually I just gave up, but there's videos out there experimenting with the system, buying dozens of booster packs just to see how bad the system was. And it was... pretty bad.

I don't want to get a good gun by accident... I want to upgrade the stuff I USE. Booster packs are fine as long as the loot isn't anything that affects gameplay. Say what you will of The Old Republic, but their Cartel Packs don't affect your gameplay, just your look. That kind of loot I don't mind.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Now the Xbone has stopped being a complete pile of suck, I'm glad Ryse is still stacking the critical-fails. I want announcements of minigames and armwaggling kinect support. Then make it always online and stick in a giant crab if at all possible

Cecilo

Nov 18, 2011
RicoADF said:
kajinking said:
Ed130 said:
Oh Gods its spreading!

Quick! grab the flame-thrower and hose down the infected!
No! We must use our heavy flammers and burn the control pannel for the escape pods! It's the only way to keep them from escaping!
I think your underestimating the seriousness of the situation, the quarantine has already been breached. There's only one action left:
Well. If we are escalating things,

http://motivateurself.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/exterminatus.jpg

For when you have to be absolutely sure everything is dead.