Xbox One Offline Update Instructions Pulled by Microsoft

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Xbox One Offline Update Instructions Pulled by Microsoft

After news broke of a method of updating the Xbox One without connecting the console to the internet, Microsoft removed the support page for the process.

The majority of people with gaming consoles have access to the internet, but why wait to download a mandatory system update on launch day when you can do it from your computer beforehand? While Sony offered a method to download its mandatory at-launch system update, Microsoft will not be doing the same. After news outlets posted a link to the Xbox Support page that explained how to update Xbox One via a PC with internet access and a USB flash drive, Microsoft pulled the support page.

"The site was not an alternative way to take the Day One update," a Microsoft spokesperson said, "and customers still need to connect to Xbox Live for the update. Because of the complexity of this customer support process, we've actually removed the page, and we will work with customers directly to make sure they have a smooth experience."

Before Microsoft took down the page, it had instructions for a 20-step process for the "Emergency Offline Update." Eurogamer listed the 20 steps in an article about the offline update. Microsoft has since removed the files needed for the update, making the method unavailable. The link to the support page for the Xbox One [support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/emergency-offline-update ].

Unlike the PS4's at-launch system update, the Xbox One's update is needed to do anything with the console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129500-Xbox-One-Will-Do-Very-Little-Without-Day-One-Patch]. Xbox One users at-launch could experience some difficulties when everyone is trying to download the mandatory update at the same time. Anyone who doesn't have an internet connection for downloading the update will have to contact Microsoft.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-21-how-to-update-xbox-one-without-connecting-it-to-the-internet]

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
... Am I the only one who remembers a console launch being a joyous occasion with no fuss. You used to get your grubby little hands on your new bit of kit, plugged it in, sorted out the cables and with the grin still on your face and only being in the house for 10 minutes (if that) you were plying your new best friend. Now.... Gods help us.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Wow...Just...Wow.

It was bad enough that they kept all the console features tied to an Day One Download, but just like Sim-City, they were talking shit about it "Needing" to be online.
They could at at least let us play games with it when we take it out of the box.

While PS4 has it's issues, Sony ain't this dickish.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Diablo1099 said:
Wow...Just...Wow.

It was bad enough that they kept all the console features tied to an Day One Download, but just like Sim-City, they were talking shit about it "Needing" to be online.
They could at at least let us play games with it when we take it out of the box.

While PS4 has it's issues, Sony ain't this dickish.
Well, this is Microsoft you're talking about, so...

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
To be honest it was such a mind-numbling process that you might as well buy a PC.

I am kidding but damn, this new gen is really making a mess out of itself (especially since for a lot of people a big plus with consoles is not having to deal with all that troubleshooting that exists on PCs).

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So now when everyone who didn't get that file goes online when they get home from the launch, the servers are gonna bog down for hours or even days. I doubt even Microsoft wants to dedicate many servers to hosting the patch. It'll be like any other online required for no damn good reason game, just now it's the whole console.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Love how you didn't mention this, roseofbattle:

"That file was never designed to replace the day one update," Microsoft exec Albert Penello explained via NeoGAF. "It's a recovery file in case something goes wrong. Instead of risking customers get themselves into a bad state by installing the file, we are going to troubleshoot on a case-by-case basis. It is not a replacement for the online update."

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
Arnoxthe1 said:

"That file was never designed to replace the day one update," Microsoft exec Albert Penello explained via NeoGAF. "It's a recovery file in case something goes wrong. Instead of risking customers get themselves into a bad state by installing the file, we are going to troubleshoot on a case-by-case basis. It is not a replacement for the online update."
Journalistic integrity makes things less interesting, I guess.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I think there's probably a legitimate reason behind them pulling the page and files down but their not telling people straight why just makes them look like complete and utter idiots.

Microsoft either needs to hire a community management team, or they need to sack the ones they have and get new ones.

EDIT: Ah, I see it's just the stunning omission of facts that seems to be becoming more and more commonplace on The Escapist that makes Microsoft look like silly sausages.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:
Catch 22 is that it proves the offline update is still possible. Like the mod that removed SimCity online only BS. It is all just DRM still.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
luvd1 said:
... Am I the only one who remembers a console launch being a joyous occasion with no fuss. You used to get your grubby little hands on your new bit of kit, plugged it in, sorted out the cables and with the grin still on your face and only being in the house for 10 minutes (if that) you were plying your new best friend. Now.... Gods help us.
It still is this way for Nintendo systems. If there is a mandatory update (which doesn't happen often), it's usually included on the game disc.

VoidOfOne

Aug 14, 2013
blalien said:
luvd1 said:
It still is this way for Nintendo systems. If there is a mandatory update (which doesn't happen often), it's usually included on the game disc.
Only problem, the few amount of game discs there are for the Wii U. Their problem is different, but the console is still solid. Nintendo just isn't.

And this helps make me so happy for buying a new console for this generation: Alienware.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
blalien said:
Not on the Wii U I think, my friend. I've gotten most games that have been on the Wii U that are disc based and not once have I had that Update prompt show up before playing my games, and it was only until I connected to the internet that I could update. Plus, remember the mandatory update that the Wii U had when it first launched on launch day, the 1 GB one? No, well seems like most of the internet has forgotten it seems. All 3 of the consoles released for the new gen has required an update on day one, and the Wii U update wasn't on a disc at all.

Whytewulf

Dec 20, 2009
Arnoxthe1 said:

Are you saying there isn't a story with that additional information...? Oh wait, yes you are.. People find anything to complain about.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Seeing as I currently have no internet at home (don't really need it), I guess this means I won't be buying an Xbox One.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Sony: Puts instructions and files for offline update on their site and encourages people to use that method for a better launch day experience

Microsoft: Takes down instructions and files for offline update and actively discourages people to use that method and depends on their servers to hold up against DDOS levels of legitimate traffic when everyone gets the console

Which approach do you prefer?

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Whytewulf said:
Arnoxthe1 said:

Are you saying there isn't a story with that additional information...? Oh wait, yes you are.. People find anything to complain about.
What I'm saying is, a story with misleading or missing key details is just as bad as, if not worse than, having no story at all.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Arnoxthe1 said:

Really doesn't help get rid of the perception that this site is biased towards Sony.