Xbox One's Kinect Can Actually Be Turned Off

kyoodle

Dec 4, 2009
Gabe Yaden said:
Reyalsfeihc said:
You know what's really sad? This information is a week old. A FULL. WEEK. OLD. And yet no game journalism sites have picked it up. You know why? Sensationalism. It's absolutely terrible. And it isn't even an obscure source.

Here's the article for those of you who will obviously want a source.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57585620-75/microsoft-talks-xbox-one-naming-privacy-and-more-q-a/
Glad to see someone else was able to realize this, Its also strange that this information was presented at the press conference yet its just now getting posted.
You've both missed the point. Yes the system can be completely shut down or it can be removed from the mains. What people have a problem with is that if the Xbox One is on then the kinnect has to be on at the same time.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
"You can turn the system completely off. This would use no power and turn everything off. We'll share more details about how it all works later."

This, to me, sounds like:

"We have decided to allow you to turn off the xbox one after the backlash we recieved but we haven't quite figured out how to implement that yet because we didn't design it to have that feature.. so we'll let you know how it works later... when we know how it works..."

"Oh yeah, and we haven't actually denied that the kinect will be watching you every moment the console is turned on"

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
And yet another reason to just keep my Xbox 360....Microsoft you really grabbed the Idiot Ball with this one.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
so they've clarified that it can be turned off, but haven't given any details about if everything is fully functional without it.

anybody else seeing the pattern that they announce something, gets an overwhelmingly negative reception, and then say no no no, we didn't mean that, everything is fine? they shouldn't have done an announcement if half of it was going to be backtracked within a month...

Timmey

May 29, 2010
Kittyhawk said:
Always the best way. If Kinect 2 needs power, just don't plug the thing in. Only hook it up when needed.

Everyone wins. Disaster averted.
Apparently you can't use the Xbox if the kinect isn't plugged in. This article does not alleviate this fear.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Breaking news: "The Xbox kinect can be turned off by repeatedly smashing it against the wall and then burning it. Smashing or burning it alone may not suffice but the combination of the two have proven very successful. Also, burning it in a pool of water via Greek fire may result in it returning as a super villain with a stereotypical half burned face. Microsoft is also planning to create a software way to toggle the kinect features on/off but is planning to launch it as a broken feature and then promise to fix it as soon as possible without really trying."

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
I'd actually patented a tiny plastic cover that would clip onto and fit over the lenses of the Kinect that I was going to sell once the Xbone was released for like three bucks.

Oh well :(

Narcogen

Rampant.
Jul 26, 2006
I, for one, implicitly trust A Microsoft Spokesperson. Why wouldn't I?

I also have no clear reason to believe that such a device which provides such clear value to social networks and advertisers, passively observing all our interactions with gaming and visual media, will obviously be voluntarily made useless by a simple off switch. I am not sure how I will actually be able to tell that Kinect is off when the console is on, but I want to believe this is true, so I do!

Okay, joke's over. The bottom line is this: Kinect provides far more value to Microsoft than it does to anyone who owns it. That alone should be enough to give consumers pause, even without considering all the absolutely chilling potential for abuse.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
This kind of infuriates me, they know what we the concerned gamers want to hear yet they decide to beat around the bush... reminds me of those no-good politicians always talking in circles when answering a question...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
The Kinect will be required to play games on the Xbox One
Well yet another reason to stay away from the xbone. A system that requires a camera to play videogames is asinine.

tardcore

Jan 15, 2011
So its only always watching when you have your machine on. If you want to get rid of Big Brother you have to NOT be using your Xbone? Because that's what I got out of that statement. That really seems like someone telling you "No of course we aren't spying on you twenty-four hours a day, only when you make a phone call."

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I'm not sure what to say. What has come of the world when an off button is worthy of an announcement? Good news, but still not interested.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
I don't think we have the same definition of the kinect can actually be turned off

Yeah, we can rip the plug out of the wall but assuming Microsoft haven't found someway to harness the power of Greyskull that was always an option, as far as I can see you still need the Kinect on as long as the X-box is on.

Which is actually the problem.

That we actually all have.

Not the fact we thought the plug would permanently graft itself to the mains and the Kinect would always be going (although thank god Microsoft told us that wasn't a problem)

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
More than anything else I'm sick of hearing all these clarifications made with one caveat: we'll explain the details later.

No, not later, I'd like the details now, when you make claims that seem contrary to what you had been saying a week ago. Why is it so hard to make a statement, clarify how things are going to work, and give us specifics on how it will. The only thing I can think of is that they don't know how they'll do it and Microsoft is trying really hard to get some of the bad PR away from them.

Guess what, it isn't working. Maybe they'd be better off not saying anything until E3 as all these releases do is make us speculate even harder.

Apr 28, 2008
Cognimancer said:
"It is not always watching or always listening," the spokesperson explains. "You can turn the system completely off. This would use no power and turn everything off. We'll share more details about how it all works later."
What details could they possibly need to share? It's turning something off. There should be no need for details or a freaking explanation.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
ellers07 said:
Kind of missed the point there, didn't he? I think we knew would could turn the entire thing off, but we were just kind of hoping it wouldn't be staring at us while we watched a movie because that's creepy and unsettling. I wouldn't want someone in a theater doing that and I certainly don't want my electronics doing that.

So... I don't feel better. Still passing on the XBone.
Irridium said:
Cognimancer said:
"It is not always watching or always listening," the spokesperson explains. "You can turn the system completely off. This would use no power and turn everything off. We'll share more details about how it all works later."
What details could they possibly need to share? It's turning something off. There should be no need for details or a freaking explanation.
The details that are still yet to be shared, which already had been a week before, is that while the system is on you can go into security options to turn the camera off. They want to give you complete control over the functionality of the Kinect and your privacy.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57585620-75/microsoft-talks-xbox-one-naming-privacy-and-more-q-a/

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Red X said:

Back tracking like a boss, eeheee!

I only say that because theey weren't clever enough to make that clear from the beginning
But they were... this interview was literally the day of the conference posted the next morning.
It just isn't juicy enough to get all the page hits.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ellers07 said:
It's like telling someone they can turn off the radio in their car by turning off the entire car.
Actually, it's more like telling them they can turn it off by disconnecting the car battery.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
kyoodle said:
Gabe Yaden said:
Reyalsfeihc said:
snip
You've both missed the point. Yes the system can be completely shut down or it can be removed from the mains. What people have a problem with is that if the Xbox One is on then the kinnect has to be on at the same time.
Did we really miss the point, or did you just not read the article I linked? If you did, you'd know he talks about ways to turn off parts of the Kinect while the Xbox One is being used.

So no, I think we very well do understand the point.