Xbox President Don Mattrick Leaving For Zynga - UPDATED

SurfKansas

Nov 25, 2008
I can imagine the thoughts that went through Zynga when looking at him for the position...

Spearheaded anti-consumer policies. Total disdain for his customers' concerns. Has the ability to trigger naseua in all gamers who hear him speak. This is JUST what we are looking for!

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Well, given recent events I can't say he'd be suited for the job, at least in mindset if not common sense X3

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Leaving before he gets fired, perhaps? With the sheer amount of bad PR associated with his name, Microsoft might be looking to rid itself of him.

Whenever I see his name written down, I always think he should become a mob boss.

TWEWYFan

Mar 22, 2012
Are Zynga and EA freaking insane!? I wouldn't so much as leave this guy in charge in my lemonade stand. He'd probably take out the lemons and reserve the right to knock the cup out of your hands after you bought it.

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Im shocked that EA were considering head hunting him.

His many faux pas with the Xbox one gave me the impression that he wasn't a gamer. Just a head honcho showing off the work of people under him.

His backwards compatible remarks and his infamous 'we have an offline console, its called the xbox 360' quips told me that he didn't really know about the market he was dealing with.

Why would EA want someone who seems really out of touch as head honcho.

Zynga .... its a different beast to EA, but still.... The man isn't a gamer.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
This sounds way to hysterically ironic (or maybe appropriate is a better word) to be true. Just goes to show how dead set Microsoft is on nickel and diming people if they are in bed with other companies like Zynga and EA.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009

Only this rat is getting off of one sinking ship, and onto one that has sunk.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Please don't let this be just a rumor. If anything him moving to Zynga would be a good thing compared to the alternative. If EA wants him, and he were to go there instead...*sudder* I don't want to think about the unholy things that would come from that.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
EA wanted him to be the next CEO? Mr Foot in Mouth whose blundering makes EA look saint-like?

At least he'll be with like minded people in Zynga.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
My best guess is MS let him quit to save face?they would've fired him otherwise?and Zynga's the only company that was willing to take him.

P.S. Thanks

Mumorpuger

This is a...!
Apr 8, 2009
Good. I'm glad this smarmy bastard is no longer associated with any brand I am interested in.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
This may be the funniest god damn thing I've seen in weeks.

It's so funny I can't even laugh properly. I just keep smiling.

I don't even care if this is sad, this may end up being the high point of my week.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
BloodSquirrel said:
This is good news on all fronts. Don Mattrick would be safety tucked away where he can't do damage to anything of value.
This. If only this industry could contain all its stupid in one place.

This is the first bit of good news I've heard since the Xbone was announced. Their 180 doesn't count as it shouldn't have been necessary to begin with.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Well...

I guess it's good to have confirmation of the fact that nobody in near the top of Microsoft, EA or Zynga has any understanding whatsoever of the market they're dealing with.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
No fucking way...seriously, this HAS to be a joke. It's just too god damn hilarious to be true.

AND EA was looking to hire him as the CEO too? Good lord, I needed a laugh today and this article certainly delivered. Should have made the headline "Rumor: World's Most Incompetent Gaming Company President To Become New CEO of World's Most Incompetent Gaming Company, Turns Down Offer From World's Second Most Incompetent Gaming Company." But I guess that'd be a little long for a headline.

Darth Sea Bass

Mar 3, 2009
I've got a feeling he's jumping before he got pushed. He's got to have had it coming from the moment he said "hey you can buy a 360" Hopefully Steve Ballmer will find his way to the exit soon as well!

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
chiefohara said:
Im shocked that EA were considering head hunting him.
Yes, because why would EA possibly want to hire a guy to be in charge that is willing to sell people spy camera's as product to spy on them in their own home?

Why would a game publisher that tries to force always online into everything for DRM purposes possibly want to hire a guy that tried to force an entire console generation into always online?

Why would a game publisher that tries to stop used game resale's with a code system (which for the time being at least has been stopped) possibly want to hire a guy that tried to completely remove used games from a an entire console generation?

Why would a game publisher that forces mini add's on the menu pages of their games possibly want to hire a guy that during his reign turned the original Xbox Live from a 2 banner add dashboard to advertisers wet dream?

He must look like fucking Jesus to EA.

He is EA's corporate polices given flesh.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ga ha ha ha... no.

Just no. It's too on-the-nose. Public face of a beleaguered console departing to run a failing company with a nearly equally acrimonious, if smaller-scale, record?

I don't buy it. This is the game equivalent of an Onion headline.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Why is everyone assuming that Don Mattrick chose to leave? Executives from large corporations don't get laid off or let go, they "change positions". More than likely after the major gaffe by Mr. Mattrick Microsoft decided to either give him a demotion or let him go, whereupon Don Mattrick secured a precarious position as the CEO of a struggling social game company being outpaced by mobile competitors and a shrinking Facebook gaming audience.

Irregardless, good riddance. He undersold everything good about the Xbox One, and has caused nothing but trouble for his peers who have repeatedly had to cover his a**.