Xbox President Don Mattrick Leaving For Zynga - UPDATED

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
That's it. I'm not even in the real world anymore. Somehow I've jumped into another universe based upon comedy movies.

Somebody send me back to my old universe where things still have some semblance of sanity!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Why do I get the feeling all my words with friends games from now on will contain words worshipping money?

Balimaar

The Bass Fish
Sep 26, 2010
This video will always live long in my memory. At least at Zynga Don wont be messing up anything I might take an interest in.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Wat

Did he decide that he really enjoys fucking up and joined the most fuckingest up game company in the industry?
It's actually a bet between Microsoft and Zynga. Zynga said even Mattrick couldn't screw their company up more, and MS said "you're on!"

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
EstrogenicMuscle said:
That's it. I'm not even in the real world anymore. Somehow I've jumped into another universe based upon comedy movies.

Somebody send me back to my old universe where things still have some semblance of sanity!
I'm sorry, but first you have to kill that witch over there and steal her shoes.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I bet cold hard cash his train of thought for this was along the rails of "IF I CAN'T BE THE BEST, I SURE AS HELL CAN BE THE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORST"

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
ew. Sounds like a demotion.

you know, if I had been in charge of zynga during the farmville extravaganza, I like to think i'd have invested the oodles of money people were throwing at me into real game technology, not into wringing derivative drivel out of an overworked, listless workforce.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
So making the Xbox One disastrous was all part of his plan since he knew he had a guaranteed job elsewhere and wanted to leave in a spectacular fashion?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Add one more to the enormous chorus of "wat".

I feel like I'm reading an Onion article. It's too bizarrely perfect and unexpected.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
OK, I really don't get this - The man was at the forefront of one of the worst PR disasters this industry has ever seen. His own comments have likely cost his company millions in sales. He has personally done a metric fuckton of damage to the XBox brand...

...and companies are lining up to hire him? Why? It makes no sense! If I was a greedy corporate bigwig in the industry, this would be the LAST guy I'd want to hire. Even if I don't give two shits about the XBone, it's still a person who was given a job and not only did he do it poorly, he actively fucked it up. It's like hiring a guy to watch your house over the summer, but you know that the last house he watched got set on fire. By him.

Can anybody explain this to me?

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I hate it when people shit-talk Zynga. Once a year I play FV for a month. The staff not only fix every single complaint I have within 24 hours, but they give me free in-game items for it. All you have to do is contact them directly & be polite, instead of being a snotty little b**ch in the forums & praying a mod forwards your complaint to someone who actually works at the company.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
mbarker said:
I want to be a CEO. Apparently you don`t need a reputation or a working knowledge of your market, or anything to make a seven digit sallary and decisions that determine the future of a company.
Yet companies continue to beg for bail-out money from the government.

Then they wonder why they got into the position in the first place.

It sort of seems like some form of new noble class has formed - the CEO. You can only become a CEO if another CEO decides to adopt you as a CEO of one of their umbrella companies. When you are a CEO you can only be a CEO and only CEOs can become CEOs.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
Abomination said:
mbarker said:
I want to be a CEO. Apparently you don`t need a reputation or a working knowledge of your market, or anything to make a seven digit sallary and decisions that determine the future of a company.
Yet companies continue to beg for bail-out money from the government.

Then they wonder why they got into the position in the first place.

It sort of seems like some form of new noble class has formed - the CEO. You can only become a CEO if another CEO decides to adopt you as a CEO of one of their umbrella companies. When you are a CEO you can only be a CEO and only CEOs can become CEOs.
Oh my ^This^

This entire situation is proof positive that you need absolutely no skills or talent to be a CEO, all you need is a room full of equally worthless corporate fatheads that want to be your golf buddy.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
wait, IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.
he knew this he is going to move to antoher company. a company that is direct competitor to the one he works for right now. so he sabotaged the project to remove one console otu of the way and make more PC gamers for Zynga. This has been his ploy all along. i congratulate you on how cunningly you pulled this though!

Snowblindblitz

Apr 30, 2011
This has been a blast to read from start to finish in the forums.
NiPah said:
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving guy.

Next thing you know they'll hire Adam Orth for PR.
I've been laughing this whole time.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
canadamus_prime said:
gigastar said:
canadamus_prime said:
Isn't that like taking the helm of the Hindenburg?
Close, it would be like sending the Human Torch to take the helm of the Hindenburg.
Well yes, but why would Don Mattick want to take the helm of Zynga? Wouldn't that be like wanting to take the helm of the Hindenburg? ...after it crashed?
Unfortunately your guess is as good as mine on that front.

Though i think MS were kicking him out after the... spectacular PR he gave after the Xbone reveal and at E3, and EA might have been considering headhunting him but decided against it after the same incidents.

After which he took the highest paying job he was offered. Whether or not he knew anything recent about Zynga is a whole other debate.