Yahtzee is going to murder Saints Row: The Third.

Hypertion

May 10, 2011
oh yeah yes the character himself can have shiny metellaic skin. that is a plus.

he will love making his dream supervillan and wonder why batman doesnt appear to stop him.

then he will get on about the missions. I know he will point out the Activites disguised as missions.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Hypertion said:
good lord.

but that doesnt mean it will get out of the ZP review without a lashing aimed at Volation.

Remember the Redfaction G review?

SR3 has more color than SR2 but less varity imo.
AND OF COARSE OVER USING CAPS IS A GREAT WAY TO GET YOUR POINT ACROSS

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Of course Yahtzee going to butcher SR3, it's his job.

But I'm going to be honest, Saint's Row 3 was fantastic. The character customization was still good even if it was dumbed down a bit. All I have to say is that it was one of the best open world games I have ever played.

But there was one quote that the main character said that I just can't seem to get out of my head. It was when you get to fly the VTOL for the first time.

"Oh man, It's like a helicopter fucked a jet!"

I sold the deal right there. This game is epic.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
neonsword13-ops said:
"Oh man, It's like a helicopter fucked a jet!"

I sold the deal right there. This game is epic.
My favourite line was when I was in the bondage club

Boss: Tell me where the manager is, or I'll beat the fuck out of ya.
Patron: OH YES! Please hit me, I've been bad!
Boss:Unexpected...

The absolutely deadpan way he said it sold me.

TheCowman

Oct 22, 2011
I liked when they were in the lab. Something like;

"Clones? We shoulda seen that coming."
"Really?"
"No, you're right. It's ****ing crazy."

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Having just finished the main missions, I think there's a decent shot Yahtzee will end up liking it. He's not really about side missions (and it's only single-bloody mindedness or the lure of a really good bonus that had anyone complete all of them in SR1 or SR2) and the main missions (once you get by the stupid activities tutorials) is insane. The QTE boss fights will probably lose it points, as any real story beyond "let's do zombies now". Fucking around in the city is just tons and tons of fun, especially as you start unlocking new abilities. I pretty much ignored the main missions until I leveled up into the 40s because I was just having so much fun running around and causing chaos.

Customization... there's three things I ended up missing: being able to customize the Bear, rim spinners and electrical tape pasties. While there weren't as many options this time around, there were far, far, far, far, far, far fewer crappy options.

The Story... while it's a mess, it's a funny mess. The one thing it really needed to do was up the stake between The Boss and Killbane to justify the split ending. Time and time again, when given a choice between revenge and loyalty, The Boss choice loyalty every single time. The "good" ending robs you of a really cool final level, while the "bad" ending requires you to be so hell-bent on revenge against a character who hasn't really hurt you.

Activities... while I don't miss any of the deleted modes, this is by far the biggest disappointment of the game and after playing around with Whored Mode for half an hour, there really was no reason why this shouldn't have been ramped up. I would have used the Professor Genki thing to craft a bunch of wild-ass combat scenario, not just shooting mascots in a booby-trapped liar. You could take some of the bits from the main game such as a rickshaw race, having to achieve objectives while stripped naked and drugged, vehicle fights in virtual reality... or even expand the Guardian Angel activity past the two main mission ones. And there really should be better bonuses for completing them. I'd want to see new weapons and vehicles, not just new gang optimizations.

Saints Row 3 isn't what I wished it had been, but a bit more work on the story and more creativity in the Activities and it could have been. The basic gameplay is improved and the story missions are wonderfully over-the-top.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
nyysjan said:
Also, car jacking, why must i steal a specific car, from a specific part of city, instead of just bringing any old vehicle of the same type?
Now, understandable when the car is not important but contains something that is important (stealing a plane that contains contraband for example), but if all you want is a random garbage truck, why can't i steal the one i found standing still two blocks away but have to go take one from the opposite side of city?
Most, if not all the vehicles give a reason in the description. A specifically modded Bootlegger, a collection debt from a certain person, etc.

In short, it's doing exactly what you're saying would be okay, so what's the problem?

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
sravankb said:
I feel like he pays too much attention to story in games. He clearly values storytelling in games, but I've almost never taken his opinion seriously because he doesn't seem to focus too much on gameplay and design, which is what essentially matters to me.
Which must be the reason why he wrote a book with a video game-esq setting =D

I agree that he tends to lean more toward story driven or indie games. The reason why I watch him is because he is funny.

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
GreatTeacherCAW said:
If anyone actually listened to Yahtzee's opinions, no one would play anything except for Silent Hill 2 over and over again.
Yeah and anything that is made by Valve

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
TheCowman said:
I liked when they were in the lab. Something like;

"Clones? We shoulda seen that coming."
"Really?"
"No, you're right. It's ****ing crazy."
or if I can remember correctly

"so what should we call thease guys?"
"what?"
"I'd call'em bricks!..because they punch as hard as one"
"are you fucking kidding me?"
"well what would YOU call them?"
"JOHN!!"
"you dont get how this works do you?"

I thats incorrect..but yeah, so many memorable lines..

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
nyysjan said:
Also, car jacking, why must i steal a specific car, from a specific part of city, instead of just bringing any old vehicle of the same type?
Now, understandable when the car is not important but contains something that is important (stealing a plane that contains contraband for example), but if all you want is a random garbage truck, why can't i steal the one i found standing still two blocks away but have to go take one from the opposite side of city?
Most, if not all the vehicles give a reason in the description. A specifically modded Bootlegger, a collection debt from a certain person, etc.

In short, it's doing exactly what you're saying would be okay, so what's the problem?
Here's an example, two actually, when stealing a carbage truck and Titan (armored truck), i pick a truck, then i drive to the zone where it is to be stolen, and then i drive it back to the carshop, insane.

Also, plenty of them do not specify wich car to steal, only the area where one can be stolen, but no reason is given why it must be this particular vehicle, and not some other.

Char-Nobyl

May 8, 2009
Hypertion said:
so much of the good stuff is compeltly gone. yes its more wacky and over the top but too much that made SR2 a great game is gone, making SR3 just a "good" game.

many aspects of SR3 will appeal to him like no other game has but i feel that SR2 will seem the better overall in his eyes.
Okay...such as? Some specific things would be nice.

Ah, here we go. You did provide some.

Hypertion said:
i already own it and am enjoying it.

its my opinion however that there are some major losses in SR3 compaired to SR2

that and the crappy sound effects =P

Nitrus sounds like really bad dubbed Japaniese movie. the car goes woosh and a second later you get the nitrus sound effect lol.
Do you even know what dubbing is? Because in Japan, nitrous doesn't sound any different than it does in America.

Hypertion said:
the storyline has suffered the massive freedom it had in SR2 and is bascially nearly entirely made up of what is little more than submissions/dirversions. each story mission in SR2 was unique. SR3 a good chunk of them is bascially copy/paste dirversions.
So? It meant that you were no longer obligated to do that "You need to spray houses with poo before we respect you enough to give you the next mission" thing. It worked the diversions in, and what I liked even better was that the story wasn't blocked off into cells. After the first Saints Row, I knew how to predict who was going to die during the faction storylines. Because you could do them in any order, any characters from the other storylines periodically crossed into the others, the person who didn't appear in any but his/her own was the one to die.

None of that in SR3. It was a welcome change.

Hypertion said:
there are also less freedoms in the customizations that range from minor to massive. the largest is how clothing can be customized. you used to be able to create purely custom outfits using multi layers of clothing for vaired effects. in this game thats dropped to nearly 1/3 of what you could do in SR2.
I'll admit that was a bit disappointing, but not unduly so. There's plenty of ways to customize your appearance, and what they did away with was basically just the ability to A) adjust how you wear the clothes you bought and B) wear a different T-shirt with a jacket.

This system served me just fine.

Hypertion said:
over all i would say its a fun game but its not quite as good as SR2 was.

of course i hold SR2 as one of the best games i ever played with only minor issues relating to gameplay.

Yahtzee will enjoy it but idk if he will like it better than SR2 overall.
Look back to the original SR2 review. Remember how he talked about how he loved how it made him feel like a supervillain?

Now, look at SR3. You get A) a kill-sat missile launcher B) a rocket launcher that shoots mind-control squids C) a device that lets you remotely possess tanks, helicopters, whatever, and D) mountains of other stuff that lets you look and act like a supervillain more than ever before.

I think Yahtzee won't like how a lot of the environments feel the same, but I don't think he'll hate the game, to say the least.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
nyysjan said:
Here's an example, two actually, when stealing a carbage truck and Titan (armored truck), i pick a truck, then i drive to the zone where it is to be stolen, and then i drive it back to the carshop, insane.

Also, plenty of them do not specify wich car to steal, only the area where one can be stolen, but no reason is given why it must be this particular vehicle, and not some other.
Wow, TWO whole examples!

And with like 40 vehicles to steal, that's a clear trend!

nyysjan

Mar 12, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
nyysjan said:

Wow, TWO whole examples!

And with like 40 vehicles to steal, that's a clear trend!
Thirty vehicles actually, but that's not important.
And do you have actual input on the complaint over the stupidity of the carjacking requiring you to go to a certain part of town even if you can steal a car parked within 2 city blocks or summon one from your carage?

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
The game is great, but I miss some details from SR2 like:
-Various melee combat styles.
-The ability to customize your gang's cars (in SR3 you just pick from a few default ones).
-The HQ customization is just boring (I miss the stripper pole).
-The "spray crap all over the neighborhood" activity.

I'm pretty sure I am forgetting some other stuff...

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
It doesn't matter because he's reviewing Skyrim next week and he'll love it....shut up I can dream.

Hypertion

May 10, 2011
Irony is here is the hindsight.

he did "like" skyrim that i pretty much knew simply because it wasn't another shooter.

i was right about his major grips being the fact he couldn't remake his Batman villain. (lol no jaunty angled bowler hats)

my last major opinion what that he would probably like it tho probably not as much as SR2.

his little "is it fun" with a bit pink * after yes kind of proves that point right too.

it was a given he would butcher it but, and i am going to rub in your face, compaired to his love of SR2 SR3 would and DID get some TOUGH love.

so =P

btw push the red button. i dare you.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
heh, nice prediction

though, "Yahtzee is going to butcher game x" isn't exactly an extremely risky guess :p