Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation is Joining The Escapist Full Time!

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Welcome to the fold, Mr. Croshaw. I think I'll divert from the general pessimism and just say I'm glad you're on board. Your work has definitely been the Escapist's highlight for some time.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Travis Fischer said:
The Enquirer said:
Wait, he wasn't already? Huh.
That's my reaction too. I've always seen The Escapist as "The Zero Punctuation site that also has other stuff."
Jimquisition and Moviebob were also synonymous with the Escapist but it seems that they were just really close contract partners than anything. I'm surprised they didn't make that move sooner on all three of them considering how much ad and viewer revenue they brought in to the site.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
conanthegamer said:
Dennis Miller called and he wants his act back.
Pffft, what act?

Chessrook44 said:
Fox12 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Oh man, the Escapist is being relevant?

What's this?

*picks up phone*

Two years ago called...
I really think these Extra Credits guys are going places.
Nah, those guys are total History now. :p
*Checks Youtube*

Nope, still running.

Kajin said:
Uh huh.

How long before he gets fired?
Never? They kinda' need him. I mean, we kid, but Yahtzee's clearly being given credit where credit is due here.

Jorpho

Nov 6, 2008
Hey, remember the Mana Bar?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana_Bar

I wonder if the closure of that particular business factored much into Yahtzee's decision to move, or if perhaps it was the other way around? I suppose it bodes poorly for the start of a similar business in the US.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Chessrook44 said:
FalloutJack said:
Chessrook44 said:
Fox12 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

What's this?

*picks up phone*

Two years ago called...
*Checks Youtube*

Nope, still running.
You missed my pun.
Probably shoulda' put in a rimshot.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
FalloutJack said:
Chessrook44 said:
FalloutJack said:
Chessrook44 said:
Fox12 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

What's this?

*picks up phone*

Two years ago called...
*Checks Youtube*

Nope, still running.
You missed my pun.
Better?

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Jorpho said:
Hey, remember the Mana Bar?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mana_Bar

I wonder if the closure of that particular business factored much into Yahtzee's decision to move, or if perhaps it was the other way around? I suppose it bodes poorly for the start of a similar business in the US.
It might work better due to the much larger population (and ergo, more gamers) of the United States compared to Australia. About the only advantage opening a bar in Australia has is that age of majority is three years lower than in the U.S.

Indeed I went to the Melbourne Mana Bar, and it was just difficult to get behind a place charging $18 for a dodgy looking cocktail and paying for time on a Wii when combining the cost of say, 3-4 drinks at a bottle shop would net me enough booze to make ten mixers I actually like (at least) and spend as many hours as I want on my PC or PS3. I suspect the one in his former home of Brisbane hung on a bit longer since the clientele probably went on the off chance Mr. Croshaw himself would appear. Plus Aussies are a no-fuss bunch of drinkers and more barriers (niche clients, high prices, small spaces etc) to getting pissed directly correlate to our desire to do so at that establishment when the pub down the road requires nothing more than get to bar, order drink, pay enjoy - rinse and repeat as required.

That said I'm both very happy for him being brought in essentially as a partner but I am a little disappointed is I will no longer run the chance of running into him if I ever visit Brisbane. Oh well, God Speed Yahtzee.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Worgen said:
Don't worry, there is still fanfiction of it.

https://fimfetch.net/story/18736/zero-punctuation-equestria
It's just not the same without Gabe busting in with an anecdote about autism and Yahtz getting incredulous. Plus, if my time with Pony Fanfic has thought me anything, I'm betting the fanfic will not bother with getting any of the characters "voices" right and focus more on regurgitating memes.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Chessrook44 said:
FalloutJack said:
Chessrook44 said:
FalloutJack said:
Chessrook44 said:
Fox12 said:
Daystar Clarion said:

What's this?

*picks up phone*

Two years ago called...
*Checks Youtube*

Nope, still running.
You missed my pun.
Better?
Oh yez, is very nize!

*Totally not John Cleese mangling a french accent right now*

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
M0rp43vs said:
Worgen said:
Don't worry, there is still fanfiction of it.

https://fimfetch.net/story/18736/zero-punctuation-equestria
It's just not the same without Gabe busting in with an anecdote about autism and Yahtz getting incredulous. Plus, if my time with Pony Fanfic has thought me anything, I'm betting the fanfic will not bother with getting any of the characters "voices" right and focus more on regurgitating memes.
Really? I don't remember reading any like that. But given how many stories are out there I wouldn't be surprised if there were some like that.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Encaen said:
Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw will be joining The Escapist's team full-time to take on more content
Meanwhile from Yahtzee:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
you may have noticed this column stopped being weekly quite some time ago, and that's mainly because frankly I can't always think of anything to talk about.
Given that Yahtzee is already one of very few people actually producing content for the site, and is apparently struggling to meet the demands of his existing pieces, maybe it would make more sense to get more people to produce different content instead of desperately trying to stretch one person into filling the whole site?

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Welp, he's the one content creator you know you can't sack, so might as well wring more content out of him.

Mar 30, 2010
Well given that the site has laid off every other contributor worth a damn I don't see what option they had left. Hopefully in the new content he won't sound as bored, pissed off and forced as he does in that 'Judging By The Cover' wank we've started getting recently.

jackpipsam

SEGA fanboy
Jun 2, 2009
I hope this works out for the best for him.
Australia might be expensive and have terrible internet, but the general quality of life is pretty damn fantastic compared to a lot of places out there.

Hopefully this lady works out better for him.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Archon said:
We made him an offer he couldn't refuse!
Good news. Still waiting on techs to arrive.

09philj said:
The Escapist realises that having popular original content creators for their site is a good thing.

A few months after laying them all off.

Byodiful.
DEFY.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Dalisclock said:
So the Escapist is officially Planet Yahtzee now?

I mean, I like his work, sure, but the escapist is putting all their eggs in one basket with this.

Also, I haven't watched his "Let's drown out" series in a while but what's this about him moving?
Same here. It's nice to listen to him ever so often, though eventually he will get tiring. The Escapists is in some desperate need of new blood. Jeremy doesn't count (love his work), because he was already famous on Youtube.