Yatzhee Mentions Objectivism a Lot

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Ken Korda said:
How does objectivism explain the economic crisis?
How does biology explain a gluino? It doesn't. Objectivism is a philosophy, while what you are asking about is economics in general.
It seems to me the recent downturn has been casued, predominately, by banking organisations operating without regulation and making short term profits at the expense of long term stability. Doesn't objectivism suggest that free market economics is the best method for societal development? Surely the recent failure of the banking system shows that markets do need regulation in order to protect them from themselves?
A great number of free market economists will tell you that a large-scale crash is an inevitable *corrective* reaction to state-created distortion in the market. The chief conduit of that distortion now are the central banks; they are bestowed special powers by the state and are not a free market institution.

Here's F. A. Hayek in 1977 explaining his prescription to the problem, three years after being awarded the Nobel Prize in economics.
http://mises.org/story/3204

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
jdnoth said:
"They didn't have any rights to the land, and there was no reason for anyone to grant them rights which they had not conceived and were not using . . . . What was it that they were fighting for, when they opposed white men on this continent? For their wish to continue a primitive existence, their 'right' to keep part of the earth untouched, unused and not even as property, but just keep everybody out so that you will live practically like an animal, or a few caves above it. Any white person who brings the element of civilization has the right to take over this continent."

Ayn Rand's objective view on genocide.
Oh, please, talk about quoting out of context.

The quote you're referencing is not talking about "genocide", it's talking about productive people moving into unowned territory that is nominally occupied by nomadic tribes with no concept of property.

To assert a claim over anything, including land, you must first invest effort into it and demarcate what you own. "I walked over it at some point in the past while I was hunting" or "we pitched our tents there three years ago" is neither of these.

That is not to say that the colonists had a particularly *fundamental* grasp of the concept, either, which resulted in what always happens in those situations (and, in fact, was the permanent base state among all the Native American tribes before white people ever showed up): bloody tribal warfare with the strongest gang winning the day. The fact that there was strife just does not retroactively mean that there was any principle where the Native Americans could be said to "own" the land, which is what Ayn Rand was talking about.

When comparing two highly imperfect groups of people, the one that adheres *more* closely to the principles of civilized life is in the right in an *overall* sense and should not be condemned in an *overall* sense, but that doesn't rule out condemning *specific* incorrect actions.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Nutcase said:
Ken Korda said:
How does objectivism explain the economic crisis?
How does biology explain a gluino? It doesn't. Objectivism is a philosophy, while what you are asking about is economics in general.
It seems to me the recent downturn has been casued, predominately, by banking organisations operating without regulation and making short term profits at the expense of long term stability. Doesn't objectivism suggest that free market economics is the best method for societal development? Surely the recent failure of the banking system shows that markets do need regulation in order to protect them from themselves?
A great number of free market economists will tell you that a large-scale crash is an inevitable *corrective* reaction to state-created distortion in the market. The chief conduit of that distortion now are the central banks; they are bestowed special powers by the state and are not a free market institution.

Here's F. A. Hayek in 1977 explaining his prescription to the problem, three years after being awarded the Nobel Prize in economics.
http://mises.org/story/3204
Indeed, the banking industry is among the most heavily-regulated in the country, esp. since Sarbanes-Oxley. Attributing the recent economic troubles to a LACK of regulation is ignorant in the extreme: it's like attributing a house fire to *insufficient* faulty wiring and spilled gasoline. :p

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
This is my first encounter with objectivism. After reading the majority of posts here, as well as Rand's 'introduction for the laymen', and despite the 'hardcore objectivists' attempts at defending it, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Ayn Rand's objectivism is an incredibly dire philosophy to live by.

*Edit*
Also, using Yatzhee's popularity to start a discussion on philosophy is a little cheap in my eyes.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
GloatingSwine said:
JMeganSnow said:
This is why rights must be defended *with* force used strictly in retaliation against those who initiate its use. Unilateral pacifism is a stupid strategy, yes. That does not mean that it is therefore intelligent to become a bank robber.
If you have sufficiently superior force, and can apply it first, then yes, it is intelligent in a Randian society to use force to take whatever you want. With no strong social organisation to stop you, the only thing that matters is to have more force available than your target.
No, it is not, because someone with a bigger gun or gang will *always* come along--and you're assuming that other people will make stuff you want when they just know you're going to take it away.

Somalia did not have an "almost-perfect Randian government", they had *anarchy* which is a *terrible* thing according to Any Rand. The ideal government is a strong centralized government that is constrained by strict laws and dedicated to the principle of protecting individual rights, not a bunch of roving gangs with random whims.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Fragamoo said:
This is my first encounter with objectivism. After reading the majority of posts here, as well as Rand's 'introduction for the laymen', and despite the 'hardcore objectivists' attempts at defending it, I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that Ayn Rand's objectivism is an incredibly dire philosophy to live by.

*Edit*
Also, using Yatzhee's popularity to start a discussion on philosophy is a little cheap in my eyes.
But making random assertions with nothing to back them up isn't? Why dire? What *facts* point you to that conclusion?

jdnoth

Sep 3, 2008
The quote you're referencing is not talking about "genocide", it's talking about productive people moving into unowned territory that is nominally occupied by nomadic tribes with no concept of property.
The Nomadic tribes DID have concept of property. And note the phrase "Any white person who brings the element of civilization has the right to take over this continent." To take something over you have to.. take it from someone. So she did acknowledge that the Europeans were taking land, not moving into unoccupied territories.

To assert a claim over anything, including land, you must first invest effort into it and demarcate what you own. "I walked over it at some point in the past while I was hunting" or "we pitched our tents there three years ago" is neither of these.
How about "I live here please stop poisoning me"?

That is not to say that the colonists had a particularly *fundamental* grasp of the concept, either, which resulted in what always happens in those situations (and, in fact, was the permanent base state among all the Native American tribes before white people ever showed up): bloody tribal warfare with the strongest gang winning the day. The fact that there was strife just does not retroactively mean that there was any principle where the Native Americans could be said to "own" the land, which is what Ayn Rand was talking about.
As I showed in my first point, she clearly acknowledged that the settlers were taking land, and her justification for this was that anyone who adheres to her concept of civilization, should be able to take over the land of people who don't.

This extract is testament to the worldly ignorance and general stupidity of Ayn Rand. That she described the genocidal, colonial Europeans who drifted from continent to continent enslaving natives and stealing resources, as "civilized" shows that she is either unthinkably ignorant or utterly evil. Not that your typical Randroid would notice that sort of thing.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
JMeganSnow said:
Fragamoo said:

*Edit*
But making random assertions with nothing to back them up isn't? Why dire? What *facts* point you to that conclusion?
Amongst other things, this:
"All the Objectivists I know are amazingly benevolent--myself included--because we recognize that all other human beings are, at least, a tremendous *potential* value to us even though particular individuals may fail at the bar."

I refer now to point 3 of 'Rand for laymen':
"Man?every man?is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others."

Contradictions are a sign of a weak argument.
Though I will admit that 'dire' was probably too strong a term for someone as inexperienced with the subject as myself to use, some of the points raised against objectivism in this thread you simply ignore, such as how under Randian philosophy theft would be acceptable.

Bagaloo

Sep 17, 2008
jdnoth said:
The Nomadic tribes DID have concept of property. And note the phrase "Any white person who brings the element of civilization has the right to take over this continent." To take something over you have to.. take it from someone. So she did acknowledge that the Europeans were taking land, not moving into unoccupied territories.

How about "I live here please stop poisoning me"?

As I showed in my first point, she clearly acknowledged that the settlers were taking land, and her justification for this was that anyone who adheres to her concept of civilization, should be able to take over the land of people who don't.

This extract is testament to the worldly ignorance and general stupidity of Ayn Rand. That she described the genocidal, colonial Europeans who drifted from continent to continent enslaving natives and stealing resources, as "civilized" shows that she is either unthinkably ignorant or utterly evil. Not that your typical Randroid would notice that sort of thing.
Also, this.

Mizaki

Dec 4, 2008
The only way one can adhere to a philosophy is if they have the assumption of what they believe is absolute truth, usually concerning almost entirely emotionally charged ideals like "evil", "success", and "ownership". However, as far as this Ayn Rand woman is concerned.. from what I read, it seems like at some point she was off to a good start and fell of her rocker somewhere along the line and got everyone's moral panties in a bunch.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
JMeganSnow said:
What does "unequal" mean in this context?
I'm referring to a prominent disparity in resources. In other words, given that prominent disparity in resources, what framework can make sure that dealings between them are still "equitable" or "fair" or whatever you want to call the ultimate ideal?

To which the canonical Objectivist answer is...
JMeganSnow said:
In an Objectivist context, there is only one kind of "unequal" relationship that matters: one that involves the use of physical force. Voluntary relationships and exchanges (those that do not involve physical force) are not "unequal" because all involved parties retain the ability to choose.
And, naturally, that should lead to this question...
What about other forms of coercion? What does your particular philosophy make of those?
Moreover, why do you just cavalierly dismiss any other sort of coercion as beneath consideration?

-- Alex

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Alex_P said:
JMeganSnow said:
What does "unequal" mean in this context?
I'm referring to a prominent disparity in resources. In other words, given that prominent disparity in resources, what framework can make sure that dealings between them are still "equitable" or "fair" or whatever you want to call the ultimate ideal?

To which the canonical Objectivist answer is...
JMeganSnow said:
In an Objectivist context, there is only one kind of "unequal" relationship that matters: one that involves the use of physical force. Voluntary relationships and exchanges (those that do not involve physical force) are not "unequal" because all involved parties retain the ability to choose.
And, naturally, that should lead to this question...
What about other forms of coercion? What does your particular philosophy make of those?
Moreover, why do you just cavalierly dismiss any other sort of coercion as beneath consideration?

-- Alex
Define "resources". The primary resource at the root of all production and thus of all life is the use of your rational mind. Without a person who looks at rocks and sees steel mills or someone who looks at trees and sees houses, such "resources" are useless and their "distribution" is of no importance to anyone.

Once you decide to make use of your mind to further your life, however, you amazingly find that the distribution of such resources is of even *less* importance, because it's just yet one more thing for a thinking man to take into account, like such matters as "how much fertilizer do I use?" or "how do I get my battery to hold a charge longer?" You adjust the situation as needed. Let's take a look at an example: much of the land in North America is unspeakably poor farmland, while the Ukraine contains the largest quantity of fertile farmland anywhere in the world. Yet the U.S. exports food while the Soviet Union *imported* it.

This is not a problem of "resources", this is because people who have no recourse but to dig in the dirt with medieval tools can barely feed themselves, much less anyone else. Men left free to think and to apply the results of their thinking can devise ways to live in outer space and on the ocean floor where there isn't even *air to breathe*, much less all the other "resources" that everyone else complains they can't possibly do without.

As for other methods of "coercion", name one. Or are you taking the typical tack that because I need to eat if I want to stay alive, I'm "coerced" by nature into finding some way to satisfy that need? This is silliness--because I can choose not to live. It's not an *appealing* choice, maybe, possibly not the choice you *want* to make, but you don't get to dictate that any more than you get to dictate that you are a human being instead of, say, a llama.

It is true that reality presents you with a great many "musts", IF you want to accomplish certain goals. You MUST eat . . . IF you want to live. You MUST work . . . IF you want to eat. Other philosophies object to this situation and seek to circumvent reality by replacing it with human beings that will somehow fix this intolerable "tyranny" of matter. Objectivism rejects it utterly. If you find the necessities of life too burdensome, die and be done with it. Don't think it entitles you to anything produced by anyone who has decided to live and to work for it.

Once you dispense with such metaphysical "coercion", you it becomes obvious why the only type of man-made coercion is that which involves *physical* force. I am not *attacking* you by *not* providing you with the food, shelter, employment, TV set, company, love, or adulation that you want. That is simply the nature of reality and you have no more claim on *me* than you do on rocks, trees, or icebergs. Go claim your job or healthcare policy or whatever it is from the rocks, trees, and icebergs. People usually find that they don't care to do so--they'd rather work at Wal-Mart than brave the wilderness naked and alone, and with good reason: working at Wal-Mart is *far* superior.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
No, they are trying to balance the claim of "I invented it" and "I paid for the schools that you went to for free so you could get smart enough to invent it." Or "I inherited it" and "I didn't" and why you get it even though you didn't make it, if "I made it" is so important.
Public schooling paid for by taxation is wrong, so there's that dispensed with. And the primary right of ownership for *inherited* wealth is the right of the person who DID produce it, originally. Are you in favor of telling people that they're not *allowed* to provide for their children in the best way open to them?

In addition, education beyond a certain level is not a necessary component of becoming wealthy, as should be obvious to *anyone* who looks at the average salaries of Ph.D.'s. Extremely wealthy people vary wildly in degree of education--the traits they possess in abundance all come from inside, like ambition, willingness to work hard, love of their work, refusal to accept failure, willingness to take risks, etc.

In a free society, inherited wealth is no threat to anyone except, possibly, the person who inherits it. Ayn Rand once made a comment that during the freeist years of the 19th century, the ones that approached closest to pure laissez-faire capitalism, there was a popular saying: "from shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations", meaning that if a man worked hard and accumulated a great deal of wealth but left it to a worthless heir, his grandson would be back on the street once again.

It is only in a mixed or controlled economy that inherited wealth becomes a means for the inheritors to acquire government favors and thus prevent others from creating their own fortunes, yet this is precisely the situation that people who complain of inherited wealth advocate. When the government gets into the business of distributing economic favors, who do you think is going to be the *recipient* of that favor . . . the person who can afford a $50,000 a plate banquet or the inventor struggling to establish himself in business?

Article I, Section 8, Clause 8 of the U.S. Constitution:

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

How can something be owned "unconditionally" it if is only 'secured for a limited amount of time'?
Ayn Rand addressed this point in full in her essay on Copyrights and Patents in Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal. I've already rehashed the salient points elsewhere on this forum, so I'm not going to bother to answer this, it's very easy for you to look up and so simple that I found myself recreating her argument even before I read the book.

The problem with Objectivism is that it has never confronted the issue of the prefatory (Thanks Scalia!) clause of that line. From the beginning, the U.S. arranged its laws not only around the idea of property rights as sacred, but the idea that the free market creates prosperity. See, Objectivists forget that the Founders were reacting to Mercantilism, not Socialism or Communism, and I think that explains a lot.
No, we don't forget, we simply deal with things in reference to fundamentals rather than treating each concrete case as though it were a completely separate and unprecedented phenomenon.

Most of the explicit philosophy of the Founders (and before them, of Adam Smith and John Locke et al) is repudiated by Objectivism because it is an unfit basis for advocating capitalism. They viewed it as a utilitarian matter, thus why the attempted "mixture" of freedom and controls and the gradual disintegration of their intentions.

The ideal of and the grand experiment in freedom, however, provided the world with the first practical demonstration of just what men can accomplish if they *are* free, but men have always accomplished great things with whatever freedom they had. Objectivism advocates, then, the beneficial part of the equation without hesitation or restraint. Men should be economically free. Period.

When you start trying to hedge your bets, you run into terrible trouble. What principle can you rely on then to guide you? Men should be free except for what . . . when other people don't like it? People dislike some incredibly stupid things for the most scurrilous reasons. Why do you want to cater to their whims? Men should be free as long as everyone has enough to eat? No one in America starves unless they utterly reject the necessity to get off their butt (and often, not even then). Why do you want to cater to their laziness? Why does being hungry or offended suddenly mean you're exempted from the rules of reality?

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Fragamoo said:
JMeganSnow said:
Fragamoo said:

*Edit*
Amongst other things, this:
"All the Objectivists I know are amazingly benevolent--myself included--because we recognize that all other human beings are, at least, a tremendous *potential* value to us even though particular individuals may fail at the bar."

I refer now to point 3 of 'Rand for laymen':
"Man?every man?is an end in himself, not the means to the ends of others."

Contradictions are a sign of a weak argument.
Though I will admit that 'dire' was probably too strong a term for someone as inexperienced with the subject as myself to use, some of the points raised against objectivism in this thread you simply ignore, such as how under Randian philosophy theft would be acceptable.
How is that a contradiction? The fact that I believe that other men aren't the means to my ends doesn't mean they can't help me or vice versa, it just means that when we *do* help each other it is not a matter of slave-driver and slave, or tool-user and tool, but of two humans coming together from mutual agreement for *mutual* profit. When people help me, I expect them to do so because they receive some benefit or value in return for their help, and when I help people, it is because I receive a benefit or value in return.

It doesn't have to be an immediate, concrete, obvious value. It cheers me to think of the world as being a place where I might expect a stranger to help me with bus money when my wallet has been stolen, so this is what *I* do. That stranger may be the person who put together my sandwich at the store or smiled and helped me with my bags.

Ayn Rand put it this way (paraphrase): "Don't hide behind such irrelevancies as whether you do or do not give a dime to a beggar. The question is whether you have a *right* to exist if you do *not* give him that dime, or whether you must go on purchasing your life one dime at a time from anyone who desires to present a claim."

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
All the Objectivists I know are amazingly benevolent--myself included
I'll write a longer retort to your Übermensch spiel, later - personally, I think it's hilarious anyone would ascribe the disintegration of U.S. social models to collectivism when facts clearly suggest the opposite (that's without mentioning that no society in history has been so daft as to attempt to function on an entirely individualist basis) - but in the meantime, I just had to quote this.

Men should be economically free. Period.
One of the major problems with objectivism is that its critiques are so explicitly targeted at socialistic styles of governance that it fails to approach the concept of institutions from anything resembling a symbolic-interactionist viewpoint, thusly arguing, in effect, for "state corporatism" to be revoked when the logical implication of its rescinding in many sectors would be the takeover of new - and potentially more inexorably exploitative - institutions. Viva economic freedom - but isn't it naïve to think the only thing people need to be freed from is the government? European governance is just a corporate construct, after all, that began with exploitative class relations in the Feudal Era and progresively became more accomodating of its respective populations once said citizens began to do something analagous to what Ayn Rand disdained so much - infiltrate the upper echelons of leadership, and forcibly or gradually strip authority from those who had attained their position via "reason" (which usually just meant "lineage": nothing changes) and circumvent the apparatus of government to serve the lower-class more directly than it had before. In this sense, it is ironic that the birth of "democracy" and - oh, wait, the United States - has a lot in common with a "collective takeover": the lower-class were fulfilling their duties in the same vein underpaid blue-collar workers would, until they "violently" decided to seize the "rightful" property of their superiors in order to make themselves more direct beneficiaries of their labour. So by advocating the system of objectivism, Ayn Rand is essentially saying "economic freedom for everyone, even though the very concept would never be palatable if it weren't for the disregard of it in the past."

Of course, refuting objectivist ethics is as simple as refuting deontology: this is because the moral absolutism proposed by objectivism is absurd, insofar as Rand never attempts to justify her ethical assumptions, she merely goes about writing unutterably stupid passages about how what amounts to popular morality is beyond the paradigm of scrutiny, and should be enforced without a modicum of inflection.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
JMeganSnow said:
Define "resources". The primary resource at the root of all production and thus of all life is the use of your rational mind. Without a person who looks at rocks and sees steel mills or someone who looks at trees and sees houses, such "resources" are useless and their "distribution" is of no importance to anyone.

Once you decide to make use of your mind to further your life, however, you amazingly find that the distribution of such resources is of even *less* importance, because it's just yet one more thing for a thinking man to take into account, like such matters as "how much fertilizer do I use?" or "how do I get my battery to hold a charge longer?" You adjust the situation as needed. Let's take a look at an example: much of the land in North America is unspeakably poor farmland, while the Ukraine contains the largest quantity of fertile farmland anywhere in the world. Yet the U.S. exports food while the Soviet Union *imported* it.

This is not a problem of "resources", this is because people who have no recourse but to dig in the dirt with medieval tools can barely feed themselves, much less anyone else. Men left free to think and to apply the results of their thinking can devise ways to live in outer space and on the ocean floor where there isn't even *air to breathe*, much less all the other "resources" that everyone else complains they can't possibly do without.
Well, since I'm mainly using an economic relationship as an example, assume that "resource" is anything and everything that you would consider a legitimate economic asset.

Forget about the "would-be thief" (your words) or "looter" (Rand's words) demanding something from an "honest citizen". Consider two productive entities both acting out of self-interest tempered with a little bit of ubiquitous greed that want to trade with each other. Consider what happens when one of them has much more wealth and knowledge than the other.

JMeganSnow said:
As for other methods of "coercion", name one. Or are you taking the typical tack that because I need to eat if I want to stay alive, I'm "coerced" by nature into finding some way to satisfy that need? This is silliness--because I can choose not to live. It's not an *appealing* choice, maybe, possibly not the choice you *want* to make, but you don't get to dictate that any more than you get to dictate that you are a human being instead of, say, a llama.

It is true that reality presents you with a great many "musts", IF you want to accomplish certain goals. You MUST eat . . . IF you want to live. You MUST work . . . IF you want to eat. Other philosophies object to this situation and seek to circumvent reality by replacing it with human beings that will somehow fix this intolerable "tyranny" of matter. Objectivism rejects it utterly. If you find the necessities of life too burdensome, die and be done with it. Don't think it entitles you to anything produced by anyone who has decided to live and to work for it.

Once you dispense with such metaphysical "coercion", you it becomes obvious why the only type of man-made coercion is that which involves *physical* force. I am not *attacking* you by *not* providing you with the food, shelter, employment, TV set, company, love, or adulation that you want. That is simply the nature of reality and you have no more claim on *me* than you do on rocks, trees, or icebergs. Go claim your job or healthcare policy or whatever it is from the rocks, trees, and icebergs. People usually find that they don't care to do so--they'd rather work at Wal-Mart than brave the wilderness naked and alone, and with good reason: working at Wal-Mart is *far* superior.
You always have the choice to resist physical force as well, don't you? Even if it's likely to end up poorly. So, compared to, say, economic or psychological or cultural coercion, what actually makes physical coercion unique?

Within the bounds of a society that prohibits violent physical coercion but otherwise follows a strictly hands-off policy, a free market allows me to use economic force against you in the same ways that an anarchic society (which isn't really a society, but you get the idea...) allows me to use direct physical force against you. Why isn't this something that's worth seriously thinking about?

-- Alex

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
JMeganSnow said:
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
No, they are trying to balance the claim of "I invented it" and "I paid for the schools that you went to for free so you could get smart enough to invent it." Or "I inherited it" and "I didn't" and why you get it even though you didn't make it, if "I made it" is so important.
Public schooling paid for by taxation is wrong, so there's that dispensed with.
No, it just means that if society was built from the ground up on/from this point forward on Objectivist principles, that dilemma would not exist.
Yes, exactly my point.

I'm simply pointing out the dissonance between Objectivists saying 'people should only have the right to things they earn with the sweat of their own brow' and 'people have absolute rights over their property'.
How is this dissonance? Someone created the property and *they* have the right to dispose of it, which can include conferring it, and the associated rights, onto someone else. If you couldn't do this, trade would be impossible.

Work is how property comes into existence and creates the *initial* right that makes the derivative rights possible. The thing that Objectivists are against is the demand for a "right" to property *without the consent of the owner*. It doesn't matter *why* the original owner decides to sign over his property, once conferred the right is just as absolute as the right of the initial creator was.

This only creates "dissonance" if you have a weird utopian view where "he who does not toil, shall not eat" or some similar garbage, which is not the Objectivist view. Our view is simply that rights come into existence in a specific way and thereafter operate in a specific way.

Totally untrue. Government favors are not the only way to prevent another from creating their own fortune. If I have inherited wealth, I can run my business at a loss until I drive out my competitors. I can substitute the power of my wealth for the power of my reason.
Yes, and you will eventually run out of money and either go out of business or be forced to raise prices high enough to make up for the original loss--at which time a competitor will happily jump in and take the market away from you wholesale. Things like this have been tried and they don't work. You might successfully run a couple of competitors out of business in this manner, but all you will succeed in accomplishing long-term is feeding your wealth into the hands of your customers and impoverishing yourself. You figure people would be in *favor* of that, since they think inheriting wealth is so wrong.

In other words, she addresses it, but, really has no explanation for it that you're willing to offer up for scrutiny ;-D
In other words, I'm tired of repeating myself endlessly for the benefit of people who can't be arsed to think for themselves for five minutes. And, yes, I'm not surprised the essay isn't available for free online, since the copyright is still extant and in the possession of Leonard Peikoff. I am not going to get derailed into a detailed discussion of minute issues, but the fundamental principle is that intellectual property operates differently than physical property. A copyright or patent held in perpetuity would entitle heirs to profit *without any investment* from the work of *other men*--indefinitely.

A man who inherits *money* or *things* cannot continue to benefit from these things in perpetuity without continual work--they run out or become worthless if utterly neglected. But a publisher may still wish to publish a two hundred year old novel and we're *ALL* making use of thousand-year-old inventions. The only continued investment going on there is on the part of the publisher and the *new* inventors building on earlier principles, so they should be the recipient of the rewards, not random people who have not had any sort of explicit right conferred upon them.

Basically, the term limits exist to avoid some random yahoo claiming to be the 200th great-grand-nephew of Jesus and demanding royalties for every Bible ever sold. For the most part this isn't necessary: a lot of the work published and patented never makes money even for the originator. Still, it's good to have it spelled out as a safeguard against a waste of time and money.

Like most narrowly concrete issues there's a lot of gray area that needs to be carefully spelled out, but that's what lawyers are for.

Well then it's not accurate to say "Objectivism recognizes this and demands perfect *political* equality of the type originally espoused by the Founding Fathers--the type of equality where if you produce something, *you own it unconditionally*, not with contingencies based on the unknown and unknowable desires of any random passerby."
Yes it is. If you read the writings of, say, Jefferson, you will discover that the man was nearly an anarchist in his desire to keep government from having the power to tell anyone to do anything. However, in *practice* this ideal became corrupted by their utilitarian foundation. Their goal of securing freedom is identical to the one espoused by Objectivists--that's the *type* of equality (equality before the law) the founding fathers originally espoused. However their *reasons* for espousing the ideal of freedom and their eventual application of it are thoroughly repudiated by Objectivism.

If you want an example, it's similar to the case of a woman in a primitive South American village who was believed to be "possessed", so the villagers decided to drill a hole in her skull to let the devil out. Fortunately she was rescued and sent to a modern hospital where it was determined that her brain was under fluid pressure that needed to be released--by drilling a hole in her skull to let the fluid out.

The prescription is the same, but depending on your reasons for adopting it the long-term outcome will be vastly different.

Don't know--America has worked out pretty good so far. Even through the New Deal and all, seems whatever the principles we've been using, we haven't run into this "terrible trouble" you are warning us about.
That's like saying that lighting the fuse on some dynamite works perfectly well up until the boom. We remain semi-prosperous because we retain quite a bit of freedom, but our lovely politicians are working hard to take every bit they can away from us, every day. When you've blown yourself up, it's too late to start wondering how long the fuse has been fizzing--you have to learn how to see the causes and effects BEFORE the explosion.

Because I've found that laziness is not the unitary characteristic that Objectivists make it out to be. I've found that some people, once you get them in a different environment, become productive.
I've simply found that laziness can have many more motivations than a desire not to work--sometimes it can be fear-based paralysis, for instance. But it doesn't change the fact that you aren't entitled to *demand*. And if you have problems, the world is full of benevolent people who are more than happy to help you get over them.

Not to mention, the whole theory falls apart when you consider infants--they DO starve unless someone takes care of them. And of course it makes no sense to call infants 'lazy'.
I know some lazy babies. Anyway, it's improper to start philosophizing by considering the exceptional cases, you must first establish a principle for the base case (adults), then work to cover the remaining exceptions.

Taking care of children involves a give-and-take relationship, it's just not an obvious one. Providing for the infant's support, health, and well-being means that you are entitled to exercise their rights on their behalf. It works like anything else in a free society: rights are coupled with responsibilities.

It's not really necessary to make much more provision than the fact that if you neglect your responsibility toward a child, you lose your parental rights (and thus, custody of the child). People *fight* over the right to take care of children, which I can fully understand even though I personally don't want kids.

It *is* the only one that adopts the extreme prophylactic measure of making sure that no unjust claims are given any weight by not acknowledging any claim that is not the result of mutual, explicit, free market contract-like agreement between the parties involved OR was procured by physical coercion.
And, hence, the only one that puts into practice the ideas that others mutter about as theory. Most of Objectivism (barring Ayn Rand's solution to the Problem of Universals--or rather her dismissal of it as a problem at all, see Introduction to Objectivist Epistemology) is not really new. The Objectivist metaphysics, for instance, is almost pure Aristotle, minus a few bits derived from Platonism. The difference lies in taking the ideas seriously, integrating them, and following them to their logical conclusion and then applying them to your life. There are no half-measures because you don't need them.