Yatzhee Mentions Objectivism a Lot

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Alex_P said:
Well, since I'm mainly using an economic relationship as an example, assume that "resource" is anything and everything that you would consider a legitimate economic asset.

Forget about the "would-be thief" (your words) or "looter" (Rand's words) demanding something from an "honest citizen". Consider two productive entities both acting out of self-interest tempered with a little bit of ubiquitous greed that want to trade with each other. Consider what happens when one of them has much more wealth and knowledge than the other.
What is it that you *think* happens? From what I've seen, when I deal with people who have a lot more knowledge and wealth than I do, I come out WAY ahead. I get all the benefits of their wealth and knowledge in exchange for surprisingly little effort on my part. All they get in exchange for their extreme effort to become a lot more knowledgeable and wealthy than I am is a little extra money they don't need all that much--yet their desire for that money means I have all sorts of things I couldn't even *begin* to provide for myself. I don't think I could figure out how to build an iPod in a thousand years, but I can get one for the price of spending a few *hours* pushing buttons on a keyboard. 1000 years vs. a few hours. Seems like a good exchange to me.

The only people whose "greed" I've ever been able to notice as a threat are the ones who want to *get* wealth *without* effort, and the solution only takes about three brain cells: Don't Take Their Word For It. Use Brain! Why everyone else in the world should be required to assume the burden of protecting you from your own willful gullibility is beyond me.

You always have the choice to resist physical force as well, don't you? Even if it's likely to end up poorly. So, compared to, say, economic or psychological or cultural coercion, what actually makes physical coercion unique?
The consequences. What's economic coercion? "You do this or I won't give you this other thing which belongs to me" is a lot different from "you do this or I kill you". And what the heck are psychological and cultural coercion? "Do this or I'll give you a significant look? No, you'll feel bad, you really will! Also I'll tell everyone that you're a whore! Yeah!" :p I'm sorry, anyone who takes threats like that seriously deserves what they get.

When people give you funny looks or refuse to give you their stuff, you retain the ability to go elsewhere and deal with other people or just make your own arrangements. Your rights are not infringed and your decision-making ability is not shorted out. Particular objects or people can be replaced. Your *life* cannot. Sure, you can try to resist, but that's not such a good bet if you care whether you live or die.

Sewblon

Nov 5, 2008
Yahtzee does mention Objectivism alot. He also recycles the line "oh no, everyone can see my bum."

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
JMeganSnow said:
What is it that you *think* happens? From what I've seen, when I deal with people who have a lot more knowledge and wealth than I do, I come out WAY ahead.
I think it varies quite a lot depending on the circumstances. Fortunately, I'm shielded from most of the bad shit by virtue of my education (and the income that is a direct product of my educaiton). "Predatory lending" is a great example of how an advantage in information and wealth can be turned into an exploitative transaction.

JMeganSnow said:
The consequences. What's economic coercion? "You do this or I won't give you this other thing which belongs to me" is a lot different from "you do this or I kill you". And what the heck are psychological and cultural coercion? "Do this or I'll give you a significant look? No, you'll feel bad, you really will! Also I'll tell everyone that you're a whore! Yeah!" :p I'm sorry, anyone who takes threats like that seriously deserves what they get.

When people give you funny looks or refuse to give you their stuff, you retain the ability to go elsewhere and deal with other people or just make your own arrangements. Your rights are not infringed and your decision-making ability is not shorted out. Particular objects or people can be replaced. Your *life* cannot. Sure, you can try to resist, but that's not such a good bet if you care whether you live or die.
How about "Do this or I'll use my market power to screw you horribly"?
How about "Do this or everyone you love will turn their backs on you"?
How about "I'm going to lie to you and traumatize you for years so you'll do what I want because of the way psychological abuse has taught you to think the way I want you to"?
Are these phenomena not significant?
Does the ideal Objectivist social system magically eliminate them? (More importantly, perhaps: would pouring laissez-faire capitalism onto American society -- which has all this other stuff, like religion, that's not going to disappear overnight -- eliminate them?)

-- Alex

Ken Korda

Nov 21, 2008
Which pieces of government regulation cause the recent economic crisis?

Additionally, how does objectivism ansewr the apparent success of government-led investment as espoused by Keynesian macroeconomics?

Nutcase

Dec 3, 2008
Ken Korda said:
Which pieces of government regulation cause the recent economic crisis?
There's nothing isolated in the market economy. Everything affects everything else through prices. So the best answer is "all of them". But amongst the most significant are the ones which established central banks and fiat money.

Did you lead Hayek's article?
Additionally, how does objectivism ansewr the apparent success of government-led investment as espoused by Keynesian macroeconomics?
You are still asking an economic explanation from a school of philosophy. Please stop, it makes no sense.

Here's an answer anyways. This one comes from a free market economist in 1850.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable_of_the_broken_window

If you want to continue discussion of economics, it should probably go in a different thread. Or PM me. I'm not an Objectivist and can't help you with that, but I have an amateur interest in free market economics.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
My honest impression of Objectivism is that it was a reaction (in the literal as well as political senses) to Soviet-style Marxism as observed by Rand. It's a simple inversion of Communism, for no better reason than "Communism = Bad, so "not-Communism = Good" as far as I can tell. Rand burns a lot of powder linking her philosophy to earlier ones, but it always struck me that it was her personal axe-grinding after fleeing post-Revolution St. Petersberg (as an illegal immigrant to the US, tee-hee, in that she overstayed a student visa and then trumped up a marriage to stay) more than anything else.

I also think Objectivism does a horrible job of dealing with "tragedy of the commons" situations, in that its only solution seems to be "eliminate all commons" by selling them off to an owner who can preserve his/her/its property rights. That doesn't work so well with, say, oceans.

-- Steve

edited to add: I had a version of this post earlier set to the tune of The Beverly Hillbillies, but alas I couldn't get further than the first verse.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
From what I've seen, when I deal with people who have a lot more knowledge and wealth than I do, I come out WAY ahead. I get all the benefits of their wealth and knowledge in exchange for surprisingly little effort on my part. All they get in exchange for their extreme effort to become a lot more knowledgeable and wealthy than I am is a little extra money they don't need all that much--yet their desire for that money means I have all sorts of things I couldn't even *begin* to provide for myself. I don't think I could figure out how to build an iPod in a thousand years, but I can get one for the price of spending a few *hours* pushing buttons on a keyboard.
Obviously not. Herein, you're fundamentally misunderstanding the economic relationship between the privileged and working-classes that defines the consumptive habits of western civilization: chiefly, that the levels of industrial efficiency achieved in the west have been largely the byproduct of a relatively overworked populace (history will attest to this, though it's common anthropological knowledge that the average American still spends four-five hours more per day working than the primitive man). So in effect, the cost of an iPod isn't just typing for a few hours, but the structure of labour you're inevitably part of that has allowed for its complex creation, whereby your free time - which is essential to the development of any skill (sociology has proven this; there's a reason England's greatest poets hailed almost entirely from the aristocracy) - is sapped by your profession, regardless of whether you're interested in what you're doing (and this is often not the case due to the nature of supply and demand, wherein there will always be more people needed to scrub toilets than to play in the NHL).

Perhaps I should be more lucid: a recent study by Malcolm Gladwell, a sociologist, all but proved what was a long-standing suspicion of the academic discipline - that "talent" is an overused term, and that what really catapults people to success in any given field is hard work, to the tune of, he derived from his studies, about 10,000 hours. Unfortunately, achieving that figure - which was consistent with thousands of examples of high performers - is essentially impossible unless "special circumstances" exist: which often, not always, pertain to someone coming from a bracket of wealth whereby they have the opportunity to pursue their interests without facing hurdles en route (exceptions Gladwell cited included The Beatles and Bill Gates, who were working-class by origin but managed to attain eight-hour gigs in Hamburg playing strip-clubs and get randomly netted in as a tester, respectively). This flies in the face of your idea that objectivism would separate the "talented" from the "lazy masses": in actuality, all objectivism would achieve is the continued perpetration of unarbited capitalism, wherein the need for the lower-class to work extensively systemically prevents them from developing the same abilities as their upper-class counterparts, and thusly fosters a continual cycle of expoitation (if the opportunity to develop a skill still exists pervasively within the American middle-class, please note that this is only the case because of "global capitalism", which has caused the transmission of wealth from one part of the world to the other, but ultimately doesn't alter the economic equilibrium).

I brought up in my last argument that the system of "economic freedom" espoused by Rand is only palatable as a result of violent, "collective takeovers" that are inherently disregarding of "property rights": the American Revolution, for example. An even larger problem with the ideology is that it is simply un-scientific: the economic ideas promoted by Rand, to be blunt, rebuff the entire body of social sciences that have sought to dissect intelligently the implications of political institutions, beyond Rand's simplistic idea, not held solely by her, that "equal opportunity" just means hiring the most able person regardless of background, or not restributing wealth because it's wholly the fault of the poor that they are not wealthy. And aside from being devoid of an elementary school child's understanding of the effects of social conditioning, her ideas are bad mainly for one simple reason: they don't work. In this way, you'd be no less sensical if you just told the forum that you thought dinosaurs walked the Earth 6000 years ago, or that the world was flat.

Property rights have never been absolute. When Guy Fawkes rented an apartment below the English parliament in 1605 and filled it with explosives, would it have been a wise decision for the government to not infringe on his property rights by intruding? That's an extreme example, of course, but the principle still stands when you consider that the death of the English parliament is dwarfed by the overall significance of creating a society that functions on the basis of reason - i.e., sciences of the social type; rather than the sort of irrationality proposed by Rand.

And her philosophy is just idiotic. Here's a quote from "Apollo and Dionysus" (I skimmed over a couple of her books I'd read for good measure):

Symbolic figures are a valuable adjunct to philosophy: they help men to integrate and bear in mind the essential meaning of complex issues. Apollo and Dionysus represent the fundamental conflict of our age. And for those who may regard them as floating abstractions, reality has offered two perfect, fiction-like dramatizations of those abstract symbols: at Cape Kennedy and at Woodstock. They were perfect in every respect demanded of serious fiction: they concretized the essentials of the two principles involved, in action, in a pure, extreme, isolated form.
...By which she means to assert that Dionysus' joyous irrationality reflects, holistically, the ideology of collectivism and Apollo's 'light' reflects individualism. How can anyone, as an intelligent human being, believe this crap? The allusion she provides is as enlightened as me stating that the Boston Tea Party is emblematic of the values of individualism, whereas a Swedish marathon for charity perfectly embodies collectivism. Moreover, she merely ignores the fact that the country she demonizes as being a trop of collectivism and irrationality - the Soviet Union - had led the United States in terms of space exploration in achieving every prior benchmark, and on a much smaller scientific budget! Of course, none of these things matter, and neither does Rand's metaphoric premise, but the latter is typical of her philosophic approach: fanciful, but devoid of any substance insofar as the reader is a serious thinker. Perhaps the only concision to this would be the need, I believe, to define individual rights (along with, ideally, collective ones), but that goes back to the beginning of philosophy, and when Rand isn't paraphrasing, her ideas are completely devoid of weight.

P.S. If you can't retort to what I'm arguing - or can't retort without simply claiming I don't understand objectivism well enough to know how inscrutable it is - I'll consider it merely an affirmation of what everybody already knows: that it's a hack ideology that shouldn't even have the title of "philosophy" conferred upon it.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Alex_P said:
I think it varies quite a lot depending on the circumstances. Fortunately, I'm shielded from most of the bad shit by virtue of my education (and the income that is a direct product of my educaiton). "Predatory lending" is a great example of how an advantage in information and wealth can be turned into an exploitative transaction.
Yes, because it's entirely the *lender's* fault that you signed without reading or understanding the contract. Why is everyone else obligated to hold your hand and protect you from the big bad world just because YOU can't be arsed to do it on your own behalf? If you're incapable of recognizing when you're being screwed, DON'T BORROW MONEY. And if you're *incapable* of recognizing what you're incapable of recognizing, there's just no helping you and you belong in a retirement home or a mental institution.

A proper society does have laws to protect those who are physically incapable of rational thought (children, the retarded, the elderly and demented etc.). Everyone else is on their own, not least because even if someone goofs up and does something stupid, they retain the means of fixing their mistake.

Thinking is how humans survive. Any society that even *attempts* to protect people (any people!) from the necessity of having to think is both doomed and evil because it tries to circumvent the conditions that are necessary for human survival.

Then I'll go seek out and deal with the men of independent judgment. *No one* has an infinite amount of money. If this means that my life may be a bit harder, so be it, but how does the fact that other people make their judgments based on foolish reasons (cash) mean that I'm entitled to put a gun to their head and *demand* my desires out of their hide? It doesn't.

"Do this or everyone you love will turn their backs on you"?
I don't love people who are that shallow. If you do, that's your problem, not mine.

"I'm going to lie to you and traumatize you for years so you'll do what I want because of the way psychological abuse has taught you to think the way I want you to"?
I have free will and can choose to do things even though I'm afraid. If I can't, then I'm *psychotic* and belong in a mental institution or a retirement home.

No, none of these phenomena are significant or important, and none of them justify hurting competent people in favor of rewarding defectives--not just defectives, but defectives *by their own choice*. If you choose to behave stupidly, you choose to suffer the consequences, and short of putting a gun to your head no amount of pressure can actually short circuit your ability to choose because none of these people can actually present you with a *final* alternative. The fact that you have chosen to fool yourself into thinking they can is your own responsibility.

In practice, an Objectivist society does minimize these sorts of behavior because it removes the reward for them to a large degree. When people cannot get away with refusing to think, the people who prey on refusers find themselves with a much decreased target audience.

This is actually the theme of The Fountainhead, which I encourage you to read if you have not already. Good ideas and good behavior win in the end, not automatically or immediately, but eventually by default simply because they have reality on their side. People who try to fight reality and enshrine the irrational or profit from other people's irrationality are their own destroyers.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
JMeganSnow said:
Alex_P said:
Yes, because it's entirely the *lender's* fault that you signed without reading or understanding the contract. Why is everyone else obligated to hold your hand and protect you from the big bad world just because YOU can't be arsed to do it on your own behalf? If you're incapable of recognizing when you're being screwed, DON'T BORROW MONEY. And if you're *incapable* of recognizing what you're incapable of recognizing, there's just no helping you and you belong in a retirement home or a mental institution.
If you need a place to live, you're going to look for a mortgage. In your opinion, should everyone know common practices of lending and the Generally Accepted Principles of Accounting before buying a house?

There's evidence that a key problem with subprime mortgages was dishonesty (or at least deceptive practices) by mortgage brokers who should have been acting in the interests of the buyers but were receiving commissions from banks at the same time, such commissions not being clearly disclosed. That's using a privileged position of information to abuse the process, and under an Objectivist schema you end up with exactly the result we have with the current crisis... because there's no rational self-interest in blowing the whistle, because if you know enough to spot it you're probably in on it.

The problem with anarchocapitalism and Objectivism is that it has no remedy for collusion. It breaks down whenever people don't act as atomistic creatures but instead as social entities... which means it doesn't describe any human society ever observed.

-- Steve

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Exactly. They can confer it on people who did not work in any way for it.
And, as I said, if people wish to retain the rights to physical property, they have to work to maintain it.

The gift of a fortune is no guarantor of success--just look at all the worthless and pathetic heirs that abound among the ultra-rich. Oh, your heir may be in a position to make a particularly spectacular, gaudy, and pathetic spectacle of failure (Paris Hilton), but so would anyone else who actually wants to be the recipient of wealth without earning it. The fact that lottery winners rarely amount to anything isn't a reason to make winning the lottery against the law. No one's rights are violated.

In the legal sphere, Objectivism is only concerned with violations of rights, not with somehow ensuring that everyone gets some certain quota of happiness or whatever, and individual men have the right to dispose of their property.

As long as those couple are the ones that are more skillful than you, it works. You assume all competitors are equally skillful. They are not. You only need to undersell those that are more skillful than you, and make your money back out-competing those that are less skillful.
No, I just know far more about basic economics than you do. By attempting to sell below cost, you will elevate your less-skillful competitors into the position of being more skillful than you are because, among many reasons, you are wasting your investment capital. While you are busy feeding your cash into the pockets of your customers, your competitors are busy seeking out loans and improving their processes. When you finally run out of money and attempt to raise your prices, you will find that you have only ruined yourself, while everyone else has gained an edge over you in the meantime.

If you can't comprehend this just from the theory, I advise you to do a practical experiment involving lemonade stands or the like--or possibly gas stations, it's not difficult to find a crossroads in America with *four* gas stations in immediate competition. Go talk to the owners and ask why they don't throw in all of their savings and take out a second mortgage so they can drive off those other guys and then have an unchallenged market. Then, after they've laughed themselves into a hernia, maybe you'll learn something.

I would hardly consider IP rights in a digital age to be 'minute'
It is when you're discussing an entire philosophy.

Why don't I have the right to allow my heirs to profit without investment from my work indefinitely? Who are you to tell me through government coercion that I cannot leave something to my heirs?
Your work doesn't keep producing additional wealth in aeternum, that's why. Even *your* right expires after a while due to this same principle.

Granted, while your IP still exists qua property you can certainly will it to heirs, the particular time limits are just set up so that their heir's heirs won't be willing it to people you've never met and never will in 1500 years.

As with all Objectivist principles governing particular concretes, the best way to learn is with a practical experiment. Unlike other philosophies, there is no gap between the practical and the moral with Objectivism. The only problem comes when people don't understand *why* practical matters operate as they do and thus develop this cognitive dissonance you complain of. The problem isn't with Objectivism, the problem is that you don't understand the operational issue fully.

Babies are not exceptional cases.
Yes they are, because the continuation of civilization is not the foundation of ethics, the continuation of *your own life* is. Civilization and procreation are both byproducts, and conditional ones that depend on the existence of other people, whereas an adult can strive to continue and improve their own life regardless of whether any other people exist.

Once you have and understand the rules for adults, you can formulate rules for children or civilizations. You can't do this in reverse.

Wait, how did I end up with a responsibility towards someone that requires me to give my property and my labor to them that I didn't contract for?
You did contract for it, nitwit: by choosing to bring them into existence. You don't have that choice in regards to other adults, hence no incurred obligation toward other adults.

You're confusing necessary with sufficient here. Just because you don't need half-measures--whole measures are sufficient--doesn't mean half-measures won't necessarily work too.
They'll work, at best, half as well. Why take medicine that only fixes half your symptoms when you can get *better* medicine that fixes *all* of them? Sounds kind of perverse to me.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
Anton P. Nym said:
If you need a place to live, you're going to look for a mortgage. In your opinion, should everyone know common practices of lending and the Generally Accepted Principles of Accounting before buying a house?
Um, YES. Why? Because they don't NEED a mortgage to find a place to live. They can get an apartment, live with a friend (as I do) or in a boarding house or any number of other options. Buying a house is *not the only option*, and if you're going to pursue the most complex option you'd better damn well make sure you're prepared for it if you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot.

This comment is like saying that because I need food I'm automatically trapped into pursuing some sort of complicated long-term system where I pay a monthly fee based on an involved structure and food is delivered to my house. Sure, you can make something like that work for you if you have the savvy, but if you don't, you need to go shop at the grocery store like everyone else.

My housemate works for a lending institution and you should *hear* his stories about the idiot ways people organize their finances. People don't bother to think before they accept the bank telling them that they can "afford" a $200,000 house . . . because the bank doesn't *know* that they don't want to eat ramen noodles and eschew all luxuries in favor of owning a big house. All it takes is the ability to do basic arithmetic and understand the concept of "budget" . . . and if you can't do either of those, you've screwed yourself anyway.

There's evidence that a key problem with subprime mortgages was dishonesty (or at least deceptive practices) by mortgage brokers who should have been acting in the interests of the buyers but were receiving commissions from banks at the same time, such commissions not being clearly disclosed.
Bullshit. THE key problem with the sub prime mortgage debacle was the government encouraging banks to make loans to people who had NO means of repaying in the name of not "redlining" them. The banks were threatened, among other things, with losing their accreditation status. They simply accepted that they were basically throwing money into a black hole in order to keep the government off their back.

In addition, the banks were encouraged to accept even *more* extreme risk by the government's "guarantee" that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (two government institutions!) would purchase the risky loans. Thus the result:

1. Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac are buried under a heap of debt that no one will or can repay, so they start to go under. The government bails them out.

2. The financial institutions that were banking on (hah) Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac absorbing their bad investments are now buried under a heap of debt that no one will or can repay, so THEY start to go under. The government bails THEM out.

3. The banks that were banking on being able to market *their* bad investments to the financial institutions are now buried under a heap of debt that no one will or can repay, so THEY start to go under. The government bails THEM out.

4. The government realizes that, fuck, they're out of money. End result: economy is trashed.

Many, many people saw particular freight train coming and got out of the way in time. There was no dishonesty involved unless you count people deluding themselves into thinking that the government would be there to save them from their own stupidity, which I would class as wishful thinking. The financial institutions that didn't get involved in this mess are perfectly fine (BB&T, for example), but in the name of not making the stupid banks look bad, the government has actually been FORCING perfectly sound banks to take bailout money under threats of auditing and loss of their accreditation status. The gov't doesn't want to "stigmatize" the banks that actually are failures SO THAT THEY CAN KEEP THROWING MORE MONEY INTO BLACK HOLES.

Granted, I personally consider self-delusion and wishful thinking to be dishonest, but most people consider that type of dishonesty to be perfectly fine and decide that someone ELSE must be to blame (and thus must suffer) for their mistakes.

Screw that.

EzraPound

Jan 26, 2008
The point is that social conditioning is - and this is scientifically understood - skewed often to allow for the exploitation of the poor, who logically won't be as apt to say, attend college when they don't have a preponderance of examples around them of people who have done so and have been successful. Of course, an objectivist would just deny this dilemma and maintain that all humans are capable of demonstrating "rationality" - which in their eyes is the monolithically monetary, scientific rationality of educated caucasians - but the ideology fails when you consider that it's already been evidenced that a) there is no likelihood to a person who comes from an impoverished background suddenly "waking up" and adopting a whole other set of cultural values that are condusive to economic success (poor people who have high IQs will only be limitedly more successful than those who don't, remember), and that b) governmental attempts at generating higher living standards via opposing the holistic capitalist status quo have already proven successful, and are a characteristic of the majority of the best nations to live on the planet.

A proper society does have laws to protect those who are physically incapable of rational thought (children, the retarded, the elderly and demented etc.). Everyone else is on their own, not least because even if someone goofs up and does something stupid, they retain the means of fixing their mistake.
If the only rift in people's ability was their intellect or reason beyond the criteria you mentioned, your approach would be a logical one. Unfortunately, that's obviously not the case, and therefore I wouldn't describe it as a travesty for the government to intervene in helping to create systemically better across-the-board conditions for its citizens (even if the result is giving up varying degrees of "freedom", in the sense that Ayn Rand defines it).

Thinking is how humans survive. Any society that even *attempts* to protect people (any people!) from the necessity of having to think is both doomed and evil because it tries to circumvent the conditions that are necessary for human survival.
It's not thinking they're protecting them from, it's just the natural disadvantages of hailing from a cultural background ('cultural' in the general sense) that doesn't lend itself to the creation of adequate weath. Of course, a "big net" approach is taken whereby even the sons of millionares could theoretically collect welfare, but since that almost never happens, the money usually gets filtered to the right places anyway, evidenced by the success of countries with adequate welfare in povery reduction. Nor is 'affirmative action' detrimental: by contrast, while it creates short-term productivity losses, it has been proven time and time again to help certain groups ascend from poverty (which outweighs the long-term economic burden of them remaining in it). 'Affirmative action' is actually idyllic in a sense, since by taking a professional job or attending college someone who comes from a disadvantaged background isn't just collecting money, they're learning skills that will help them and their respective communities become more successful.

If this means that my life may be a bit harder, so be it, but how does the fact that other people make their judgments based on foolish reasons (cash) mean that I'm entitled to put a gun to their head and *demand* my desires out of their hide? It doesn't.
Like I said, "economic freedom" is a virtue founded on the basis of "violent", "collective takeovers" that are disrespectful to "private property." But trying to argue that violence is the only method of coercion that is absolute suggests to me your argument is falling apart: if a private owner has purchased the water supply in a dehydrated country and is exporting it to wealthy patrons, would it really be wrong to take it over collectively as an alternative to dying? Taxes insituted by the British were enough to cause the Americans to deprive fellow citizens of their land. Is that worth remarking? Moreover, in a alot of the countries that have embraced collectivism - Venezuela, Cuba, etc. - the situation was as dire as the one I outlined above, lending itself to a simple dichotomy: take what you need to live where few sincere options exist to procure it peacefully, or die. This is without exploring a much broader debate regarding the nature of property ownership - in many societies historically, for example (Native and early Islamic social organization comes to mind), property was owned by "the people" - but since I'm not confident in your ability to comprehend arguments which don't adhere to the value judgements of capitalism, I won't bother to get into it.

I have free will and can choose to do things even though I'm afraid. If I can't, then I'm *psychotic* and belong in a mental institution or a retirement home.
Firstly, I'd argue that while Ayn Randists have every right to express their philosophy they probably do belong in mental asylums given their disregard of reason, and secondly, that the root of all your arguments - that human beings can easily overcome their social conditions if they are "intelligent" and "devoted" - is just flotsam; contradicted by thousands of statistical studies that illustrate that social conditions are, the sweeping majority of the time, quite definitive and quite deliberate, and that "being intelligent" or "hard-working" is rarely enough to catapult you from the ghetto to a top-paying job on Wall Street. So if being "intelligent" isn't enough to generate equal opportunity, what is? The answer is re-thinking the way we function as a society, and attempting to provide, insofar as we can, an equal footing for people of all backgrounds to pursue opportunity - not simply ignoring, against all logic, social epidemics which can only be rectified practically via central intervention or blaming the poor for being "lazy."

If you choose to behave stupidly, you choose to suffer the consequences, and short of putting a gun to your head no amount of pressure can actually short circuit your ability to choose because none of these people can actually present you with a *final* alternative. The fact that you have chosen to fool yourself into thinking they can is your own responsibility.
...And yet behaviour that you would describe as "stupid" (for example, mismanaging your money) is often characteristic of whole impoverished brackets rather than solely the "stupid" individuals that reside within them, suggesting that the root of the problem has very little to do with intelligence. With this understood, it is utterly irrational to blame the poor for being poor because they're "stupid" when, by every conventional means, someone can be very intelligent but not culturally attuned to the skills required to excel conventionally in society. The solution: teach them.

In practice, an Objectivist society does minimize these sorts of behavior because it removes the reward for them to a large degree. When people cannot get away with refusing to think, the people who prey on refusers find themselves with a much decreased target audience.
By that logic, the "war on drugs" would be a massive success because people are less apt to "get away" with doing them, or harsh sentences for criminals in the United States would actually serve as a deterrent. Unfortunately, since people's response to things (and I mean all people) is as much social as rational, there is no likelihood of successfully eliminating the phenomena of poverty without rectifying the depraved social conditions that frequently cause it. Go figure: Rand speaks as if people would all get rich in the Feudal Era because they would know they'd starve if they became poorer, without acknowledging the social ceiling that did, and still does, exist.

I'm sorry - and it hurts me as much to have to argue with such flagrantly unreasonable theories - but you're just really, obviously wrong.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
EzraPound said:
I'll write a longer retort to your Übermensch spiel, later - personally, I think it's hilarious anyone would ascribe the disintegration of U.S. social models to collectivism when facts clearly suggest the opposite (that's without mentioning that no society in history has been so daft as to attempt to function on an entirely individualist basis) - but in the meantime, I just had to quote this.
Wow, how pathetic. You know, Ayn Rand actually came up with a name for this style of argumentation because it's both prevalent and absurd: it's called "argument from intimidation". Let's see what you've done here:

1. Used the word "Ubermensch" to imply that I'm some sort of Nietzschian Superman proponent. :p

2. Used the word "hilarious" to imply that the only thing anyone needs to consider is your personal views of humor. Surely because YOU think it's funny it MUST be ridiculous. :p

3. Made reference to "facts" without providing any.

4. Used the word "daft" as in #2.

Is this *really* the best argument you can provide?

One of the major problems with objectivism is that its critiques are so explicitly targeted at socialistic styles of governance that it fails to approach the concept of institutions from anything resembling a symbolic-interactionist viewpoint, thusly arguing, in effect, for "state corporatism" to be revoked when the logical implication of its rescinding in many sectors would be the takeover of new - and potentially more inexorably exploitative - institutions.
Oh, what a lovely pile of incomprehensible gibberish. Ayn Rand took great pains to dispense with the belief that non-government organizations are actually capable of the type of "exploitation" or "coercion" that are regularly attributed to them, as I have already done elsewhere in this very thread. Hence the focus on the only form of "corporatism" truly capable of those offenses: government.

Complaining about this focus is analogous to complaining that a physicist hasn't allowed for the existence of fairies on Mars with mind control rays in his theory.

Viva economic freedom - but isn't it naïve to think the only thing people need to be freed from is the government?
There you go again! Now I'm "naive"! Why am I naive? I actually have logic to support my assertions rather than baseless sneers.

European governance is just a corporate construct, after all, that began with exploitative class relations in the Feudal Era and progresively became more accomodating of its respective populations once said citizens began to do something analagous to what Ayn Rand disdained so much - infiltrate the upper echelons of leadership, and forcibly or gradually strip authority from those who had attained their position via "reason" (which usually just meant "lineage": nothing changes) and circumvent the apparatus of government to serve the lower-class more directly than it had before.
This is called as confusing content with label--cities in the U.S. are also called "corporations", but the fact that they are so named doesn't mean that public and private corporations are identical.

In this sense, it is ironic that the birth of "democracy" and - oh, wait, the United States
Someone with an *actual* knowledge of history or politics would know that the U.S. is not a "democracy".

- has a lot in common with a "collective takeover": the lower-class were fulfilling their duties in the same vein underpaid blue-collar workers would, until they "violently" decided to seize the "rightful" property of their superiors in order to make themselves more direct beneficiaries of their labour.
Also, someone with an *actual* knowledge of history or politics would know that the American Revolution was largely brought about by what would today be considered upper-middle-class landowners, shopowners, writers, etc. The "lower class" (such as existed in pre-industrial times) was either opposed or indifferent to the revolution.

The lower class in general is not disposed toward revolution--they don't have the time or energy to spare, and all "popular" revolts originate with the intellectual middle class. This was the case in the Oktobarskya Revolutsia (the core of the Red Party was college students), the French revolution, the communist takeover of China, the Fascist movement in Germany . . . take your pick. Peasants don't revolt, they *riot*.

So by advocating the system of objectivism, Ayn Rand is essentially saying "economic freedom for everyone, even though the very concept would never be palatable if it weren't for the disregard of it in the past."
What? So, economic freedom--scratch that, freedom qua freedom, is only "palatable" because every society that has NOT had economic freedom has been evil and oppressive? Well, I have to agree that exposure to evil generally makes one even more eager to embrace the good, but I know quite a number of people who grew up surrounded by good who are nevertheless fervent opponents to any kind of evil.

Of course, refuting objectivist ethics is as simple as refuting deontology: this is because the moral absolutism proposed by objectivism is absurd, insofar as Rand never attempts to justify her ethical assumptions, she merely goes about writing unutterably stupid passages about how what amounts to popular morality is beyond the paradigm of scrutiny, and should be enforced without a modicum of inflection.
*Snort*. Clearly you've never read ANYTHING that Ayn Rand wrote, because she was utterly scrupulous in insisting that all ideas must have a foundation in reality. Granted, the ideologically perverse may equate the insistence that anything so crass as "reality" exists is "deontology", but in general I find they come around when they've been whacked with an stick that very obviously DOES exist whether they like it or not. If they don't, I feel free to ignore them and the wind they call their "ideas" because their claim that they don't know whether they exist or not has ejected them from the realm of relevance altogether.

But, really, I'm glad you weighed in because it's refreshing to see someone parroting their college professors so thoroughly without engaging so much as a single brain cell. Bravo. I foresee a very successful academic career for you as long as you avoid any contact whatsoever with anyone who does any thinking at all.

theklng

May 1, 2008
jesus christ, i am not going to read through a bible's load of pages just to get your point. i realize trying to explain objectivism to people isn't possible. you either know it and follow it (whether having read any of rand's work or not, as it is a question about ethics) or don't follow it and not having the possibility to understand it.

you can fight your battle of judgments here alone, you can keep posting opinions as fact AND you still won't learn a damn thing from all of this. you know what the goal of objectivism ultimately is? to learn that other people's judgment does not matter and that you should live your life by your own standards, not standards set by your friends, society, people or anyone else.

i can full well imagine that some people will never be able to do this because of their conformism in society, but that's their loss. if you want to live your life vicariously, go ahead. but don't you dare block the way to the top for someone who is better than you; especially if that someone is going to do mankind a favor.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
JMeganSnow said:
Alex_P said:

You're repeatedly conflating "thinking" with "knowledge", kind of like a lot of posters far less eloquent, educated, and experienced than you conflate "uneducated" with "stupid". The specialists you interact with naturally have far greater domain knowledge than you do. They also have access to a lot more "insider information" and "trade secrets", not to mention plain ol' experience, than you do. Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can hire another specialist to give you a second opinion.

You can't just sit down at the negotiating table and derive everything you need to know from first principles any more than you can sit down at a computer and derive everything you need to know to build one from first principles.

It sounds like your whole answer boils down to "the unwashed masses deserve to be abused".

JMeganSnow said:
Then I'll go seek out and deal with the men of independent judgment. *No one* has an infinite amount of money. If this means that my life may be a bit harder, so be it, but how does the fact that other people make their judgments based on foolish reasons (cash) mean that I'm entitled to put a gun to their head and *demand* my desires out of their hide? It doesn't.
A concerted effort to fuck you only makes your life "a bit harder", but any kind of market regulation qualifies as "putting a gun to your head"?

JMeganSnow said:
"Do this or everyone you love will turn their backs on you"?
I don't love people who are that shallow. If you do, that's your problem, not mine.
So your entire answer to the problem of cultural coercion is "That culture sucks." Well, duh. So, what's your actual solution? Because there are cultures like this, even within the U.S.

JMeganSnow said:
"I'm going to lie to you and traumatize you for years so you'll do what I want because of the way psychological abuse has taught you to think the way I want you to"?
Fear, conditioning, misinformation, threats...

JMeganSnow said:
No, none of these phenomena are significant or important, and none of them justify hurting competent people in favor of rewarding defectives--not just defectives, but defectives *by their own choice*. If you choose to behave stupidly, you choose to suffer the consequences, and short of putting a gun to your head no amount of pressure can actually short circuit your ability to choose because none of these people can actually present you with a *final* alternative. The fact that you have chosen to fool yourself into thinking they can is your own responsibility.
I think it's very easy to say that from a position of privilege.

It's not that easy to think straight when you're, say, starving.

JMeganSnow said:

This is actually the theme of The Fountainhead, which I encourage you to read if you have not already. Good ideas and good behavior win in the end, not automatically or immediately, but eventually by default simply because they have reality on their side. People who try to fight reality and enshrine the irrational or profit from other people's irrationality are their own destroyers.
"In practice"? What's the best example of an Objectivist society "in practice"?

I certainly don't think Rand's novels would be a good model of Objectivism out in the real world because of the polemic/didactic/wishful character of the works.

-- Alex