Yes I smoke.. So I'm the devil now?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Someone on page one mentioned the smell of smoke. Depending on the type of smoke you smoke the scent can be anywhere from clove to straight-up smoke but honestly I prefer the smell of cig-smoke to say, the smell of unwashed-stocker (ie: my fellow employees who smell about the same as people who attend Emenim concerts (those people also smell far worse than smokers by the way)).

I actually feel really bad for smokers. It seems like every day a smoker's right to smoke is being sliced a little bit thinner. I don't smoke personally but when I hit the 'don't-give-a-fuck' age I'm probably going to invest in some cigars and/or pipes (both of which are classy as shit). I mainly sympathize with you smokers because once the smoking community has been hung out to dry people like me who indulge on trans-fats, caffeine and, fast food will get the full focus from health-nazis.

Oh, but to answer your question no, you're not the devil.

Imperium9990

Jul 24, 2011
krazykidd said:
but you have no right to tell a person what to do and where to do it in a public place
Yes they do. Sure you don't have to listen, but they do have the right to call you out on it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
dogstile said:
sinterklaas said:
The only one being selfish is you. You were the one defiling the air with your stench, not her. That's exactly why people hate smokers, they stink and as the poster above me pointed out, some people cannot deal with the smoke, me included.

If you want to smoke, do so in private, not on the walkways or at a busstop.

It's just like drinking. If you want to get drunk, do so in private.
So smokers aren't even allowed to smoke outside anymore? Hell, most bus stops don't even have seats anymore, smokers are just standing there. She could have quite easily stood about five steps away and not had to smell the smoke. That's usually the case down here.
Usually when I have to deal with this, they're standing upwind and I have to walk a good length to get out of the way, to the point where I look like a dumbass cause I have to move all the way around to avoid this one person smoking or just stand there and take it cause otherwise I'd be a wuss or something.

Better yet, they're smoking while they're walking along, and I'd be like, okay, maybe I could run ahead of you, or even passively walk faster, but meanwhile it's like, who's this idiot trying to look like he's not walking faster to avoid it.

It's like, sure go ahead but don't be totally oblivious to the wind if you're gonna poop in it.

And I'm not gonna outright tell everybody I'm allergic to smoke, what is that, whining, can't have that either.

let's do the math here, does it take longer for one guy to stand out of the way, or for everybody to move over, obviously we all gotta pack up and hustle, no argument there

seraphy

Jan 2, 2011
krazykidd said:
Please tell me , whos air is it ? Non smokers Act like the air belongs to you .let's take it a step further shall we , if a person that just plain stinks stands next to you let's tell them to stand somewhere else . And god forbid someone passwind ( read: fart ) anywhere in public. This is the main problem i have , you have the right to not smoke and dislike the smell , but you have no right to tell a person what to do and where to do it in a public place , where no laws are being broken. Instead moving , or in my example i had put in my previous post no standing next to me , you prefer to confront the smoker .
Just smell or farts don't actually harm anyone, second hand smoke from the topacco on the other hand can cause sickness, or even death over prolonged exposure.

Quite bit of a difference there.

Teachingaddict

Nov 8, 2008
As an ex-smoker (from 40 a day to nothing 2.5 years ago) I would personally think you are stupid for starting, after first hand experience, but criticise you for doing so....god no. Your body, your right to do with it what you want. Follow the laws, then no-one has the right to say anything different. In fact a few points in this thread are utterly ridiculuos including one person stating they wouldhave a problem if you didn't put out a cigarette for them....ignore those around you, friends will stick around, acquaintances will not.... but that isn't a loss.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
Glademaster said:
No and no one really gives a shit I mean why would you bring this question to a Gaming forum of all places.
I assume you ask the same question in all threads in the off-topic and religious/political sections. /clap2x

Yeah, "gaming forum" it is.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
Glademaster said:
Oh fuck off you really think you will get a decent answer for something like this on a gaming forum and have you actually been to the Religion & Politics section?
Yes I did get decent answers from my thread which simply asks something from the community. Pretty much every comment is decent in their own right since it shows that each person has their opinion on this matter.

I admire your hostility though. It's been fun. xD

Phisi

Jun 1, 2011
Have fun mate! I drink coke instead of water because it tastes nice and is refreshing and from my experience, you get lots of people who like telling people what to do with themselves for various reasons, most are stupid (the reason that is). Enjoy your life and your cigarettes because what is the point of life if you are not finding enjoyment from it.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
A lot of people think smoking is gross.
Deal with it.

If you can deal with the smell, and possible health issues, whats the odd `thats icky` comment?

Jun 11, 2008
nbamaniac said:
Glademaster said:
Oh fuck off you really think you will get a decent answer for something like this on a gaming forum and have you actually been to the Religion & Politics section?
Yes I did get decent answers from my thread which simply asks something from the community. Pretty much every comment is decent in their own right since it shows that each person has their opinion on this matter.

I admire your hostility though. It's been fun. xD
As has your ridiculous notions of upperosity and patronising comment.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
It's alright to smoke. Just try to confine yourself to an enclosed room where you can burn your clothing and shower after each smoke. New clothes will be provided once you exit.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
OK I don't see anything wrong, at least not morally wrong with smoking. Only issues I see are that it makes you smell a bit(you've already addressed that) and that it will damage you(again you've already addressed that).

The guys saying it's moral are being idiots for working off stereotypes. Personally I could never smoke just because I hate the smell and have been bombarded with anti smoking campaigns.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
lol@escapistantismokingzealots.

You guys are always worth a laugh, if a touch scary in your misplaced vehemence.

nbamaniac

Apr 29, 2011
Phisi said:
Have fun mate! I drink coke instead of water because it tastes nice and is refreshing and from my experience, you get lots of people who like telling people what to do with themselves for various reasons, most are stupid (the reason that is). Enjoy your life and your cigarettes because what is the point of life if you are not finding enjoyment from it.
Haha cool mate, I like the way you think. /cheers

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
weirdguy said:
dogstile said:
sinterklaas said:
The only one being selfish is you. You were the one defiling the air with your stench, not her. That's exactly why people hate smokers, they stink and as the poster above me pointed out, some people cannot deal with the smoke, me included.

If you want to smoke, do so in private, not on the walkways or at a busstop.

It's just like drinking. If you want to get drunk, do so in private.
So smokers aren't even allowed to smoke outside anymore? Hell, most bus stops don't even have seats anymore, smokers are just standing there. She could have quite easily stood about five steps away and not had to smell the smoke. That's usually the case down here.
Usually when I have to deal with this, they're standing upwind and I have to walk a good length to get out of the way, to the point where I look like a dumbass cause I have to move all the way around to avoid this one person smoking or just stand there and take it cause otherwise I'd be a wuss or something.

Better yet, they're smoking while they're walking along, and I'd be like, okay, maybe I could run ahead of you, or even passively walk faster, but meanwhile it's like, who's this idiot trying to look like he's not walking faster to avoid it.

It's like, sure go ahead but don't be totally oblivious to the wind if you're gonna poop in it.

And I'm not gonna outright tell everybody I'm allergic to smoke, what is that, whining, can't have that either.

let's do the math here, does it take longer for one guy to stand out of the way, or for everybody to move over, obviously we all gotta pack up and hustle, no argument there
That wasn't the argument that you responded to. If one person is bothering a group of others, then its easier for him to move. But we were talking about one person.

Walking downwind? Stand on the other side of whoever is smoking. That's your problem solved. I doubt you'd look "stupid" (emphasis on that because simply walking away does not make you look stupid) moving to the other side of a person.

But if your argument has gotten to the point where you're saying "I don't like smokers because when I avoid the smoke i'm afraid I look stupid" or "I don't want to move and look like a wuss" then I have to say, its a pretty poor argument, considering its based on how you view yourself.

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
DeanoTheGod said:
I smoke cigars. I have never heard anyone hatin on us, but I hear people all the time complaining about dirty cancer-stick tabbers! Not sure why no-one comments on cigar smokers though...?
I used to smoke cigars, and I can tell you why people don't say anything. Example, a hot single mother with her baby son strolling in the park. Then she comes across a smoker:

Cigarettes:"Oh lord, Billy hold your breath! You don't want to inhale this vile smoke. You know why people smoke cigarettes billy? It's because they're criminals, cons, and they don't care about the well being of others.

Cigars:"Billy, look at that man. Accomplished, successful, and handsome! This is the type of man you want to be when you're grown up. When I drop you off at your nanny's I'll be sure to have casual relations with him!"

Sad but true.

henkalv

Oct 31, 2011
I get sick when people smoke near me, due to the smell, but I also believe in peoples right to do whatever they desire.

So as long as you don't smoke while being in the same general area as me then you could smoke ten of them at once for all I care.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm guessing this is a victimisation thread. Most of the people I've seen make this sort of "persecution" comment got it from the Simpsons or some other satire source, and the ones I've seen in public, who claim to be mindful really aren't.

I've seen smokers play the persecution card when smoking near small children. I've got smoke allergies, and I've seen them play the persecution card for that little factoid. Frequently, bitching about the "moral" folks going after them is a thinly veiled sympathy plea.

I'm sorry, but I've seen one too many smoker cry wolf to feel this is an honest scenario.

I'm surprised, though. People seem to think it's their freedom to choose what they do, but other people lack the freedom to be critical. I'm also surprised that I see many of the same people who defend offensive stuff all the time, bitching about the PC bogeyman, rushing to defend a smoker because of hurt feelings.

What I take from this is that the Escapist Forums' overall opinion is that women, blacks, gays, and muslims should have to listen to potentially offensive or hateful speech, but DEAR LORD WON'T SOMEONE PLEEEEEEEASE THINK OF THE SMOKERS?

I'm really, really disappointed in those folks.