You Are Probably Using Google Chrome to Read This

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
ill switch to chrome once it get stumble upon, email notifications, and weather forecasts. until then, ill stick with firefox

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
I mostly use firefox because it loads fast blocking a lot of flash and pop ups that annoying and take up time loading. When I'm shopping online I use chrome otherwise firefox all the way. Even use it on my acer tablet because again flashblock.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Mac safari user here. I have chrome installed as a backup, but I never use it. I love safari way too much.

Soluncreed

Sep 24, 2009
I'm one of those people who is still using internet explorer because it's what's on my task bar...

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I've tried chrome and I don't see what others see in it, my biggest gripe is it doesn't like refreshing the page despite being refreshed and the cashe cleared. It keeps displaying older pages and as a webmaster this just doesn't fly. I swear I spent 3 hours trying to figure out why this code I was trying to implement wasn't working on chrome.

Then my friend tried it on his and it was working, and on my other friends. So, that's one reason to skip chrome.

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
DustyDrB said:
-There wasn't a search bar (I have at least a dozen search engines saved for the Firefox search bar)
Thats actually a huge reason i switched to Chrome, I found i kept accidentally typing half-keywords into the address bar when i was in a hurry, or safari/firefox was loading slowly and ended up at face.com instead of searching facebook.

But i use firefox for web dev :)

joe-h2o

The name's Bond... Hydrogen Bond
Oct 23, 2011
Of course, those "pesky" Mac users with Safari are partially responsible for Chrome's success (ignoring that fact that Chrome is also on Mac OS X - I use it to sandbox Facebook away from the rest of my browsing), since Chrome uses the Webkit rendering engine which Apple put a boatload of time and money into.

The project started out at the open source KHTML engine, and it was lightweight and fast (and relatively obscure), and Apple picked it deliberately for that reason (compared to Forefox's relatively bloated Gecko engine). What developed out of those KHTML beginnings was Webkit, which is now used by Safari, Chrome and a ton of other browsers. It's also used on iPhones, iPads and almost all Android phones and tablets. Google have also put time and resources into Webkit too, but Apple really put into a position whereby it became a prime choice for Chrome.

Hooray for unsung browser engines!

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
I've been an Opera user for the last few years. Can't say I regret from switching to it from Firefox.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I use all three: chrome for general browsing, Firefox for compatibility browsing and the occasional use of a flash downloader plugin that, as far as I know, Chrome doesn't have an equivalent for, and Internet Explorer for government websites and other sites that tend to pitch a fit anytime you don't use something from the very narrow list of browsers they were designed for (I seriously had to borrow my mom's laptop to fill out the FAFSA last year, because I was up to date on all of my browsers, while the government was up to date on none of them -- not even IE.)

By the way, 2004 was not the first time IE had any competition. When I was growing up Netscape -- the browser from which Firefox is descended -- was most the browser of choice for most people who weren't on AOL. Netscape, in turn, was the direct descendant of Mosaic, the first web browser in history. IE was a relative latecomer.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
9thRequiem said:
Opera here (along with less than 2% of the web ...). I tried Chrome; was just too slow to render pages, and by the time you put on enough extensions to make up for missing features, incredibly weighty.

Erana said:
I'm sorry, but changing "teaspoons" to "tablespoons" and "Baking soda" to "baking powder" just IS NOT OKAY.
Wow, it does that? That could easily end very badly ...
TWO PERCENTERS UNITE! >:D

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Have you checked the sources for this? When the exact same story came out in August 2011, it turned out to be a wish fulfillment fantasy/ hoax by the original author.

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Chrome is great, but I don't use it because of the Google spyware it contains (it gives your PC a unique ID and reports everything you do/visit/etc. to Google). It also has a poorer range of extensions than Firefox. I recommend using Chromium, the open-source basis for Chrome, instead.

That said, I'll be sticking with Firefox because of the aforementioned quality of add-ons. Both browsers are very good, but I prefer Firefox's feature set and look/feel.

Truth be told I've never liked Opera. I feel the UI is clunky and it's always been very slow for me compared to other browsers.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
That's actually true, but IE is still my back-up browser. Certain plug-ins just don't play nice with Chrome and when it's really important that the browser doesn't crash IE is still my top choice.

Used to use Firefox, but after v3 it became every bit as slow and bloated as IE was accused of being while at the same time IE was shedding pounds.

Good to know that Microsoft has competition now.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Chrome is fast and best, it does exactly what I want and nothing that I don't.