You can ban any word in the English language... Which is it?

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
As the title says, you can make it so that one word, any word, is banned... Or at least, make it so you never hear it. What would yours be?
Mine would either be ******, the N word (For obvious reasons) or twerking (Quite frankly, I'm getting tired of hearing Yahoo news writing an article whenever some female pop star does it.)
So c'mon, Escapists, tell me.

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
I'd choose something simple like , "it" , "or" "as" "you". Just to troll people with poor vocabulary .

Seriously though , someone more intelligent than I would probably say something along the lines of " we would just need to use the word from the original language [ insert banned word here] is derived from to get over the ban " , but i'm not that intelligent . So i'll say the "N word" because i find it incredibly offensive and i crige everytime i hear it in any kind of media for any reason.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Literally. Its misuse has gotten way out of hand, I think I've began developing a facial tick when someone says it now.

Also, twerking is beautiful and should be considered an art form.

Edit: I find this is so much more fun to contemplate if you figure that people wouldn't be allowed to all agree on a new name to call something if you removed it. Imagine if everyone got collective amnesia when trying to remember the name of sheep for example. That would be incredible! I hear fluffy cloud thingy wool is the best kind of wool.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Only one word?

Because what I want is a phrase.

I guess they could just around it with other words that mean the same thing, though...

"Simplified"--and ideally all similar descriptors, most particularly "dumbed down".

Incredibly petty, sure, but I'm absolutely sick of people accusing games of being "dumbed down" or "simplified". When a developer/publisher themselves says they're trying to "appeal to a broader audience", yes, it's worth cringing about, but it doesn't automatically mean the game isn't going to be as deep and it's infuriating when the forumites then turn around to sarcastically mock a game that was previously exclusive to one platform (say, PC) going multi-platform for being "dumbed down for the console masses".

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
Only one word?

Because what I want is a phrase.

I guess they could just around it with other words that mean the same thing, though...

"Simplified"--and ideally all similar descriptors, most particularly "dumbed down".

Incredibly petty, sure, but I'm absolutely sick of people accusing games of being "dumbed down" or "simplified". When a developer/publisher themselves says they're trying to "appeal to a broader audience", yes, it's worth cringing about, but it doesn't automatically mean the game isn't going to be as deep and it's infuriating when the forumites then turn around to sarcastically mock a game that was previously exclusive to one platform (say, PC) going multi-platform for being "dumbed down for the console masses".
well, I suppose there's always "consoletarded"

I would ban "job-creator" so everyone can go back to calling them rich bastards.

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
[HEADING=2]"Whatever"[/HEADING]​

This word needs to be banned so we can throw all the unintelligent, mouth-breathing valley girls/jersey boys in prison for a long time, where their pretentiousness and their false toughness will mean absolute shit.

People will still be abllowed to say "What" and "Ever" separately, such as as in sentences "What ever the case may be,", but the singular use of the word will land you a jail sentence, or a death sentence for serial abusers and those who hold the R (if someone has a nasty habit of saying "Whatever" a lot anyway, good chance their genes weren't welcome in the pool anyway).

oZode

Nov 15, 2011
I'd ban "ummm..."

It is such a dumb, nerve wracking thing to hear. Like, it is the worst word in existence. Satan made that word, and Ifrits use it daily.

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
"Random", when used in the context "Like, ohmygosh, I am so random/that was so random".

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Bias, because the internets don't know what the fuck it means and misuse it too much.
That or definitely, so people can stop misspelling it. (Or I could just ban defiantly, so that people stop misspelling definitely with a word that makes no sense in their fucking sentence.)

[small]Please don't ban fuck, I use it too much... tee hee[/small]

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Hater. This is the most misused word by any fan of anything ever. LOL, he doesn't like what I like, he's just a hater, and I'm going to call him a hater despite the fact he took a lot of time to lay out a well thought out argument, brah.
Fuck you. Seriously, fuck. You.

Unhonorable mention goes to "bro" and "brah". No better way to sound like a Dbag.

SilverLion

May 11, 2013
I'd ban the word "Iron". Not the actual metal, God no we need steel to survive. Its just that you always say "eye-un" and not "eye-run". If it's spelt iron, call it fucking I-ron! And we couldn't change the name to "Ion" because that already exists. Fuck you, atmoic physics, what word am I going to use now?!! 'Hardite', maybe?

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
Feminism, I would love to see Anita sarkeesian do her job without that word.

In all seriousness, I would ban Retard (and any varations) I am autistic and hearing that word is like you saying the N word near a black person

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Stagecoaches. The plural form.

I hate that word.

I can't even remember how it started, but I was about 9 years old. Something at school?

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Like.

So, like, people can't, like, talk like this.

I hope similar to and I appreciate would be able to take up the slack. It just takes up the place of um, something people say when they don't know what to say next.

Patrick Hayes

Jul 10, 2011
I'd ban "nigga." Not "******." "Nigga." Simple really. That way those stupid ass bro college kids (white kids) stop using it, rappers lose the ultimate bridge word, and "******" will retain all it's hateful power and remind people why we don't use it in good society.

LittleWings

May 17, 2010
Oftentimes. I honestly thought that was a fake word but apparently it's real. Every time I hear it it makes me think of the worst kind of person who's trying to be kooky. God, it even made me shudder typing it now. Oftentimes. Why the hell do we need that word? How is it different to often? I mean why not just use the shorter word gaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh

redmoretrout

Oct 27, 2011
Any and all internet slang that is never spoken aloud. Words like "srsly" are making into the dictionary, which is ridiculous.

PS. This site's captcha seems to assume every Canadian speaks French. We don't and it's very annoying having to interpret what the captcha is asking of you in a foreign tongue before making a post.

BarbaricGoose

May 25, 2010
I wanna say the "The N word," but that's three words (or two and a letter). Just say ******, for fuck's sake. When you say the "The N word" everyone knows what you mean. That's just white people gettin' away with saying ******. But it's actually worse than that, because when you say "The N word" you're makin' ME say it. "What does he mean... OH HE MEANS ******!"

/Louie C.K.

Since I have to pick one... I'll say.... I don't know... "Lawl." I fucking hate it when people actually say "Lawl" when they're speaking to me. You know, with their mouth. When they could just, I don't know, laugh?