You can ban any word in the English language... Which is it?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
NoeL said:
That would be either "swag" or "yolo"... or "yolo swaggins".
Swag bothers me more than YOLO, but I agree.

Also, obligatory SWAG video

The Eleventh Doctor is right!

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
It would be hard to choose just one word, especially if its just a word and not also erasing the meaning of it. You could say I wanna ban the word "War" but that accomplishes nothing.

There are plenty of annoying words, but many of them would eventually fall out of favor and be replaced with even stupider ones.

There are many necessary words, that you might want to do away with out of a myopic desire for pointless anarchy.

But there are a few utterly unnecessary words, words used to describe unnecessary things.

So I'll pick a word that is unnecessary, annoying, overused, meaningless, and supports a culture that worships mediocrity and stupidity as being noteworthy, instead of actual accomplishments.

I choose "Celebrity."

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
The Ubermensch said:
ABLb0y said:
As the title says, you can make it so that one word, any word, is banned... Or at least, make it so you never hear it. What would yours be?
Mine would either be ******, the N word (For obvious reasons) or twerking (Quite frankly, I'm getting tired of hearing Yahoo news writing an article whenever some female pop star does it.)
So c'mon, Escapists, tell me.
krazykidd said:
I'd choose something simple like , "it" , "or" "as" "you". Just to troll people with poor vocabulary .

Seriously though , someone more intelligent than I would probably say something along the lines of " we would just need to use the word from the original language [ insert banned word here] is derived from to get over the ban " , but i'm not that intelligent . So i'll say the "N word" because i find it incredibly offensive and i crige everytime i hear it in any kind of media for any reason.
If either of you are black:

Not saying that you yourselves do, but a large percentage of the african american population do use it. No one should use that word, but they do, and you can't really get angry at the generation of white kids that both aren't responsible for slavery and exposed to contemporary african american culture start saying Nigga without understanding your context, because the contemporary context is different now.

Now if you're white... Why does that offend you so much? Were you enslaved? Or is it a grim reminder of the colonial golden era?

Now, as for the word I would ban

I'd like to tell you a story; Chuck Palahniuk, Gen Urobuchi and Guy Ritchie walk into a bar, and all the sudden you really don't care about what people say; you care more about why they say it.
Y'know, you have a point... I'm white and I guess I don't really know why the N word offends me. Maybe it's because it makes me cringe to think about how badly some white people used to treat their slaves, I guess.

Forobryt

Dec 14, 2012
Forobryt would ban the word "I" so that everyone must talk in the 3rd person. Would make the whole world more classy and yet seem more insane at the same time.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
lacktheknack said:
The word "yummy".

It ticks me off beyond measure.

I don't know why.

Halp. D:
It pisses me off because it's part of 'yummy mummy' which is just a delicate, middle class way of saying MILF.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
Fuck the police, I'm banning ALL words in every spoken or written language in the history of everything

Let us communicate through instrumental music!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I wouldn't ban any words honestly. I have read 1984 and while I'm not sure if I support that view completely it makes a fair point. Some words are offensive, some words are simply overused, misused or annoying. Still I think freedom of speech is worth getting offended by every now and then. Banning a word because we are offended with it is a little like wanting a dictator because we share the same views with him at the time.

That said I can't say I would hate it if lol, rofl, lmao and all that line of things was considered a crime to write or say out loud.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
Tenkage said:
In all seriousness, I would ban Retard (and any varations) I am autistic and hearing that word is like you saying the N word near a black person
I admit to using that word sometimes, despite me having quite a few autistic family members, but I tend to use it in the context of "slowed down" or "delayed". When I use it, most people assume I'm being an asshole, but I at least know that the word doesn't mean "autistic". I'm socially retarded (Not from birth, from lack of social interaction at a young age), someone in crutches is physically retarded.

HOWEVER

I RARELY use the word against anyone with a physical, or mental disability, and never to demean someone. I usually would use it in a way like "You can pour baking soda, or sand on a fire to retard a flame", but for general use, most people would be better off not knowing what it is.

OT: I'd ban the word "game". I'd like to see those feminism and violent video game things hurt us now.

Adamantium93

Jun 9, 2010
Irregardless.

That word doesn't mean anything and it really gets on my plums whenever someone uses it instead of the much easier to say "regardless".

Alternatively "The N Word" as another poster once said. We all know what you're talking about when you say it, you're not fooling anyone.

JFKRowling

Mar 15, 2013
"Utilize"
I'm not sure if there is any difference in meaning between utilize and use, but if there is, no one who says it is aware of it. It's just a way for people to try to make something that they're saying sound more intelligent. Instead, it merely makes them sound like an asshole. Use is a great little word that's supremely useful. Use it!

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
oZode said:
I'd ban "ummm..."

It is such a dumb, nerve wracking thing to hear. Like, it is the worst word in existence. Satan made that word, and Ifrits use it daily.
The funny thing is that words such as "Umm", "like" and "sort of" are used so as that our brain has time to catch up with our mouth, so I guess Satan is looking out for us!

Anyways

OT:I guess I'd say "surreal" would be the word I'd ban. I just think it's overused and said far too often, especially if you watch 60 minutes, A Current Affair or Today Tonight. Every fucking person says, "It was so surreal" and it makes me wanna punch the tv.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
I'd go for the word "offensive". Everybody is offended by everything nowadays so that's my way to fix the problem.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
I would ban the word "suspect" and watch the politicians try and justify everything they ever want to do.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
generals3 said:
I'd go for the word "offensive". Everybody is offended by everything nowadays so that's my way to fix the problem.
I would ban that word too, although for slightly different reasons. Well, more specifically I would ban the word "offended."

Because the moment anyone says they are offended, or the moment anyone says anyone else is offended (even when they aren't) all discussion breaks down. People rush off to wheel out that Stephen Fry quotation, or some Louie C. K. clip, or say that it's political correctness gone mad rather than actually engaging in the discussion. They could ask why something has offended them, or why they think it's problematic. I'm not saying that anyone who claims to be offended is right, but that "offended" is the word most often used when someone wants to ignore someone's reaction or opinion without thinking twice.

My problem with someone being "offended" is that you're allowed to be annoyed, enraged, angry, insulted, saddened, disgusted, intimidated, any of these other words that could potentially be used in certain situations where someone is "offended", but the one people always settle on is "offended" because that's the easiest to disregard. For instance, I remember seeing a Youtube video getting pulled down by the people who put it up because it basically contained something that put them in a really bad light. Then the comments on their next video were filled with things like "What was offensive about that last video?" and "What kind of crybabies would be offended by that?" when the problem wasn't that people were offended, but that the video creators had made themselves sound like creepy assholes and potentially made their company look really bad.

So, yeah, I agree with you. I think "offended" should be banned because it's used both to exaggerate problems and to downplay them, and getting rid of it might create more honesty on both sides of an argument.

Patathatapon

Jul 30, 2011
Forobryt said:
Forobryt would ban the word "I" so that everyone must talk in the 3rd person. Would make the whole world more classy and yet seem more insane at the same time.
"Slippery John thinks that's an excellent idea!"

"Patathatapon would rather not to say Patathatapon whenever referring to Patathatapon's self"

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
"fuck"

Not because it offends me or anything, but I'm wondering what would replace it and how ridiculous it would be :p
There will always be a new word.

"the" would be a good contender since we would all talk partially like cavemen. At least for a while.

Forobryt said:
Did not think of that. Good idea!