"YOU CAN STEER THE TORPEDO?" moments

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Kingdom Hearts II - I CAN SWITCH DRESSES AND LEVEL UP MY DRIVES?! SO THAT'S WHAT THE DRIVE GAUGE IS FOR!

Bully - R1 BLOCKS!? (same deal with The Warriors)

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Don't know if this was mentioned before but

'YOU CAN FAST TRAVEL VIA THE MAP IN FALLOUT 3!!!!??' totally didn't know that until about 30 hours in...

I walked everywhere...so depressing...

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Saints Row 2, THERE'S A COSTUME SHOP?

Seriously, way to keep that thing hidden completely off the map until you do an entire gang story.

Quantumsheep

Aug 25, 2012
SonOfMethuselah said:
SkarKrow said:
MajorTomServo said:
Alternate title: "YOU CAN TONGUE UP?"

Ever play a game so often, and feel like you know it so well, only to discover some major ability you never noticed before?

For example, Mega Man 2 is my number one favorite game. It was the first game I ever played, and I was raging over Air Man before I could read. Just a couple of days ago, I found out that you can shoot Metal Blade in any direction. WHAT? I had no idea. All these years. I thought the main advantage was just the bigger projectile.

Also, to a lesser extent, I was four hours into Fallout 3 before I found out you could jump.

So, how about you?
I have possibly the supreme on here.

I got all the way to Guadosalam in Final Fantasy X, my first RPG besides pokemon, without knowing how to open the menu.

So as a result I didn't know how to level up or anything. Never occured to me that triangle would be the menu, since Start was always menu in everything else I played. Try getting that far without levelling up I frigging dare ya > >

Also when I first played Sonic 3 I didn't know how to charge up a spin attack but that was when I was like 4.

A few incidents in RDR or something like that where I just had no clue how to do something.
I'll see you Guadosalam and raise you Home. I knew how to open the menu, but I didn't understand how the Sphere Grid worked. I thought the number was your level, and not the number of nodes you could move, so I was always trying to move to a node that raised the S.LvL, which, of course, wouldn't work. I actually got a little bit further than Home, to that fucking dragon that attacks you on the airship as you near Bevelle, and he absolutely wrecked my shit with one or two attacks every time. My friend told me what I was doing wrong a few days after I had given up on the game. Ahh, youth.

Other than that, I played Star Wars: Battlefront II in first-person mode for a long time before I realized I could change it to third-person. Then I realized I hated playing the game in first-person, so I never changed it again.
BATTLEFRONT 2 HAS FIRST-PERSON!?!?!?

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Quantumsheep said:
BATTLEFRONT 2 HAS FIRST-PERSON!?!?!?
Battlefront II has first-person. At least, the PC version of Battlefront II has the option of first-person. I've never attempted to set the option on PS2 or Xbox, so I don't know if it's there. I wouldn't touch it, even if it was, though: the game is shite in first-person.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
SupahGamuh said:
WHAT!?, YOU CAN ACTUALLY POINT ANY GUN (EXCEPT THE STINGER) WITHOUT SHOOTING!?, AND EVEN SCARE THE OTHER SOLDIERS SHITLESS WITH THEM!??.

^ This when I learned, while playing Metal Gear Solid 2 for the third or fourth time, that the PS2 controller actually had analog buttons (ALL of them, except Select, Start, L3 & R3) and you could use this to point your guns without actually shooting, heck, you could even do this in first person mode. That game is so full of details and easter eggs, it's insane.
You can even do it with the stinger, although you do blow yourself up with the soldier you're shaking down.

Andy Farren

Jan 22, 2013
I played 'Sleeping Dogs' for 3 days before I realised it wasn't 'Watch Dogs'. I only realised *this* when a colleague (who I had shown the Watch Dogs trailer to on YouTube) also bought it, and sheepishly admitted our collective mistake.

And before you point and laugh at me; I know. I should probably leave the country or something.

Pipotchi

Jan 17, 2008
Until this thread I didn't know you could sprint in Skyrim 0.0

I just literally went and double checked, and I've played for 140 hours across PS3 and PC ffs.

I think I was near the end of Dragons Dogma before I realised you can roll as well. Although it did know about the rotating of the claws

Jul 9, 2011
Slight sidestory spoilers for Final Fantasy VI:

When you enter South Figaro's pub/cafe during the World of Balance, a young girl will eventually enter and sit down. You can talk to her; she's friendly enough, if a bit young to be a patron at a bar.

Come back in the World of Ruin, talk to the bartender, and he'll mention that the young girl doesn't stop by anymore.

I didn't realize this until a few months ago, and I've been playing this game literally twice a year since I was five years old. It's such a small detail, but it nearly broke my heart.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
Metroid Prime.
For the LONGEST time I had absolutely no idea that you could perform Beam-Missile combos. I knew the Super-Missile - charge up a regular beam and press the missile button. But I had no idea about things like the flamethrower - charge up the plasma beam and hold the missile button. Oh boy, once I found those out I went nuts with them!

Thamian

Sep 3, 2008
In recent times, the only one that comes to mind is the quick select in the gamebyro Fallouts. I cursed so hard when I found out about that after spending so damned long opening up my pip-boy everytime I wanted to change weapons. Then I realised I could map aid items (including stimpaks) to the quick select keys and my mind was utterly blown.

Back in the day though (like, when I was like... six? seven?) and I was playing Total Annihilation, realising that I could skip ANY level that was being too much of a ***** (such as the missions on Thalassean) was the most incredible discovery of my youth.

The Night Angel

Dec 30, 2011
King of Asgaard said:
You can hold down the action button in Fallout 3 to continually drink from a receptacle, instead of having to press the button over and over.
My mind was blown when I found out on the forums a few months ago.
This I did not know!! :O I think I may actually be sad enough to go dig out my copy right now to test this.... [small] I swear I have a life...[/small]

Thanks fellow arachnophobe!!

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
I played no more heros twice to bitter mode thinking darkstep was random and you had to lean the controller left or right
Was shocked when i was finally fighting sir henry that you actually flipped the controller up the same way you pop a wheelie on your motorcyle. That fight was still long but it made kicking henry's ass so much less complicated
god i felt like a twit

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
HUMANITY IN DARK SOULS IS MORE THAN A COSMETIC?!

It was depressing because I had died roughly twenty times fighting those Gargoyles, whereas using a summoning made them insultingly easy.

Full said:
I didn't know you could sprint in Resident Evil 4 until one of the swinging blade puzzles about 60% into the game.

However I still liked the slow pace and chunkiness of just having to walk.
I didn't realize that until halfway through the El Gigante fight. Before then I was always calmly walking away from people with chainsaws. lol

Anti Nudist Cupcake

Mar 23, 2010
The geth shotgun in mass effect 2 + 3... not only is it a long range shotgun that deals massive damage and has homing projectiles...but you can charge it up for even MOAR DAMAGE!!!!!!!!!!!????!?!??!!!!!!

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Zhukov said:
YOU CAN PUSH THE LITTLE HOOD BIT UP OFF THE CLI
NOW WHO WILL CLEAN TEA OFF MY SCREEN?

OT: You can press ctrl to see the items in Diablo 3 before you pick them up?

Aedwynn

Jan 10, 2009
I'm not sure if this counts; but back when the original Playstation roamed the Earth I was playing Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain, and somehow it glitched and it let me get to the late-game demon-sacked city early. I had no idea the game had glitched, however, and so I was fighting demons that needed dozens and dozens of hits before they'd go down. I was thinking it was sadistically difficult and it took me bloody ages - my hands were aching by the end of it.

I was later telling my friend whom I'd borrowed the game off about how ***** hard the game is. How those demons just won't die and how I think I have carpal tunnel now and he starts looking at me funny...

"Er, when I was playing it they weren't that hard. Couple of hits with the Fire Sword and they die."

"... There's a Fire Sword!?"

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
WolfDude191 said:
You can do MORE than one attack at once in VATs in Fallout 3 (On third playthrough).

>.<
What do you mean, are there different kinds of attacks? Or that you could do multiple 'tags' per VATS usage?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
MajorTomServo said:
WolfDude191 said:
You can do MORE than one attack at once in VATs in Fallout 3 (On third playthrough).

>.<
What do you mean, are there different kinds of attacks? Or that you could do multiple 'tags' per VATS usage?
Multiple queued attacks, not multiple types.

New Vegas did add alternate attacks in Vats for melee weapons if your skill was high enough, though.