"You can't love animal's if you're not a vegetarian"

thereverend7

Aug 13, 2010
I love my cat, I love eating chicken.

Gun to my head I would prefer the pleasure of a cat as a pet over the pleasure of the taste of chicken.

/thread

Cyfu

Nov 25, 2010
Well, that's just wrong.
I love animals, I love them a lot more than people and I'm not a vegetarian.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
Jesus, why's there always so much hate for the Vegetarian? I'm one and it's not because I think animals are some super case of lovely happiness we all must protect and love and all must do the same. I'm a veggie because I know I wouldn't be able to slit somethings throat so why should I enjoy the spoils if I wouldn't be willing to do the grizzly part?

I've never, ever, ever told someone they should be a vegetarian as well, the only time arguments about diet comes up is when I meet someone new, mention I am one for whatever reason and suddenly their pressed up against my face going 'WHY? WHY DONT YOU EAT MEAT? MEAT IS GOOD, ID DIE IF I COULDN'T EAT MEAT? DON'T YOU EAT CHICKEN? OR BACON? WHAT ABOUT STEAK!!!!!!!?' I swear meat must function like crack or something....

I've also never met a holier-than-thou vegetarian either. Now don't get me started on those damn vegans!!!!!

Th37thTrump3t

Nov 12, 2009
But what if the reason I eat animals is the very reason I love them. They give me meat, meat is good. I love meat, so therefore I love animals that give me meat, because without them I would have no meat and that would make me a very, very, VERY sad panda.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Utter rubbish, I love cats and dogs and i think lambs are cute but it wouldnt stop me tucking into a delicious leg of lamb!

Are the Lambs still screaming Clarice?

Wolf In A Bear Suit

Jun 2, 2012
You can't love horticulture if you eat vegetables so there. Take that MR SCIENCE.
I personally love dogs. I would not eat a dog. Cows however, well they were getting too big for there cow boots anyway. They're telling me I can't love animals. Well then I guess I'll go tell my emotions to cut it out and to listen to the nice vegetarian on his high horse (which at least he won't eat I guess)

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
Counterpoint -
IF: You can't love animals if you're not a vegetarian.
THIS IMPLIES: If you eat something, you must not love it.
IF: Vegetarians eat plants.
THEN: Vegetarians don't love plants.

IF: Plants provide everything necessary for human survival.
AND: Plants expect only waste air, sunlight and dirt (the 3 cheapest resources around) in return.
THEN: Plants would be very nice people.

IF: You don't love very nice people.
THEN: You're a complete arsehole.

THEREFORE
THEN: Vegetarians are complete arseholes.

FolkLikePanda

Apr 15, 2009
I love SOME Animals, not all. I like Dogs, Pandas, Monkeys, Wolves, Owls etc. and I wouldn't eat one but I can't say I like Cows, Chickens etc. and I'd eat them.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
So Soilders and Excustioners can't love their familys or other people becuase their jobs have a high probability of killinng other humans?

Cannibals are a different story. >.>

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Daverson said:
Counterpoint -
THIS IMPLIES: If you eat something, you must not love it.
IF: Vegetarians eat plants.
THEN: Vegetarians don't love plants.

IF: Plants provide everything necessary for human survival.
AND: Plants expect only waste air, sunlight and dirt (the 3 cheapest resources around) in return.
THEN: Plants would be very nice people.

IF: You don't love very nice people.
THEN: You're a complete arsehole.

THEREFORE
THEN: Vegetarians are complete arseholes.
Have you ever considered being ambassador for all things everywhere? I like the way you think.

OT: My friend used to play with a lamb her friend owned when she was a little girl. She'd spend hours rolling around with Pamela the lamb, petting her, and pretending to be a lamb herself. When said lamb was later slaughtered for meat, she ate some of it and declared that "Pam is tasty".

Admittedly, this made me recoil when I first heard she'd eaten her sheepy friend, but I'd argue she loved that lamb so, clearly, some people are capable of it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Quaxar said:
Well, on the other hand you can't love nature if you've ever eaten plants.
So this makes for an absolutely reasonable argument.
DING DING DING DING DING DING! We have a winner!

Seriously, what kind of argument is that? I assume that my constant concern and affection for my various pets has all been a lie? As has my fascination with the animal kingdom and efforts to go green?

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Nadia Castle said:
Jesus, why's there always so much hate for the Vegetarian? I'm one and it's not because I think animals are some super case of lovely happiness we all must protect and love and all must do the same. I'm a veggie because I know I wouldn't be able to slit somethings throat so why should I enjoy the spoils if I wouldn't be willing to do the grizzly part?

I've never, ever, ever told someone they should be a vegetarian as well, the only time arguments about diet comes up is when I meet someone new, mention I am one for whatever reason and suddenly their pressed up against my face going 'WHY? WHY DONT YOU EAT MEAT? MEAT IS GOOD, ID DIE IF I COULDN'T EAT MEAT? DON'T YOU EAT CHICKEN? OR BACON? WHAT ABOUT STEAK!!!!!!!?' I swear meat must function like crack or something....

I've also never met a holier-than-thou vegetarian either. Now don't get me started on those damn vegans!!!!!
They aren't hating on you, the comment at the start was the kind of radical who treats not eating meat as a kind of religion that forces them to condemn anyone who does not conform. Ive known plenty of perfectly normal people who chose to eat a vegetarian diet. If you have friends who are doing this "WHY? WHY DONT YOU EAT MEAT? MEAT IS GOOD, ID DIE IF I COULDN'T EAT MEAT? DON'T YOU EAT CHICKEN? OR BACON? WHAT ABOUT STEAK!!!!!!!?", you need new friends, that's as bad as a raving vegan.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
As someone living in a country where *anything* is fair game for food, I just had to weigh in on this.

When I first arrived here, I had my first chance to try Dog and Horse, and it bugged me. Now it doesn't.

Reason?

It's not *my* dog or horse. If I had a pet cow or pig, I wouldn't want to eat it. If not, no problem. I'd go as far as saying "if you can eat one animal, you should be okay with eating any animal :)"

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
I have a pet rabbit... it's a very nice rabbit... it's white with red eyes and a tuft of black hair that makes it look hilariously emo... The rabbit is ace and I like it a lot!
I have also, whilst owning this rabbit, caught another in a snare, skinned it and eaten it... But I eouldnt do that to Peter... hell noes!
So yes... both is possible... even to the same animal type...!

And guess what? At work I used to be part of the decision cycle on striking targets... and I am trained to defend myself by taking another's life... doesn't mean I hate people... :/

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
This is something very interesting to me, really. I am a vegetarian, and I'll just say from the start that I don't think that you can't love animals if you eat meat. I wasn't born as a vegetarian and I ate meat for the majority of my life and I've always loved animals.

However, there is a certain type of a problem here. The problem is that we don't seem to develop the same connection between animals that we eat and animals that we like. Meaning, a dog is a friend, but a cow is not, despite the fact that they are both animals. Most people would be horrified is someone served them a dog, but are not horrified if someone serves them a cow. That's where this argument is coming from (although, that argument is kinda flawed in my opinion). Once you begin perceiving all animals as equals, eating a cow somehow becomes similar to eating a dog. I can't really explain this, and I've never really hated cows, but while I was eating them, my brain didn't quite make the connection between the living being and the food on my plate. A living cow is a living cow and it's cute, but once it's in my plate, that's no longer a cow. I find that interesting because once I stopped eating meat, that somewhat changed. I don't have any problems with people who eat meat, though. And I don't think that eating meat makes you an animal hater. You simply have this disconnection between an animal and your dinner. This is actually quite useful because if we all had a problem with eating animals, humanity wouldn't really come as far as it did.

Innegativeion said:
I don't hate animals. I am an omnivore designed to consume the ones of far lesser intelligence. So I do.
I just want to say that pigs are one of the most intelligent animals in the animal kingdom, and some researches put them as more intelligent than dogs. And yet, eating pigs is very common. Even certain spiders [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portia_(spider)] are remarkably intelligent. So, it's not really about intelligence, and those vegetarians that tell you that they are comfortable with killing insects and spiders because they are less intelligent are... kinda hypocritical in my opinion. I myself am a kind of a hypocritical vegetarian who doesn't eat meat, refrains from killing insects and spiders and worms and everything, but I occasionally eat fish. And I admit that. The world is simply not black and white and all these arguments between vegetarians and vegans and people who eat meat are bothersome.