You challenge Death to a competition for your soul: What do you challenge him to?

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Alcamonic said:
Assuming that we would be on equal terms, like he turning into a darker replica of me (like Shadow Link, hoo!) I would go down with a sword fight.

I have never swung any kind of real sword before, but I have watched three seasons of Game of Thrones. How hard could it be?
Very hard. I'm what could generously be described as somewhat decent and I can destroy friends who've never had any formal education, so there's definitely skill involved. And anyone who's read Mort can tell you Death is one mother fucking brilliant sword fighter. :D

OT: Magic: The Gathering. My Master of Cruelties will give me an edge!

Edit: I'm not sure why people are presuming victory in various things on the grounds that he's a Skeleton. This is literally an immortal being with crazy powers, a skeleton that can move. Likely, his being a skeleton doesn't actually mean shit.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
blazearmoru said:
Most obvious one is : a race to see who dies first. Death cannot die so it will either be an eternal tie or I win
Damn you ninja'd me

Another option would be to see who could smoke the most weed and listen to jimi hendrix for the longest. Sure id probably lose but id die getting high with death whilst listening to jimi. ROCK ON!!!!!

Secretarial-Humbug

Mar 29, 2013
Ah-ha, but WHICH Death are we talking about OP?

For example, Granny Weatherwax vs Death at cards (from the Discworld book Maskerade)
is an interesting twist upon this question of playing Death:

"Death looked down at his cards, and then up into Granny's steady, blue-eyed gaze.
Neither moved for some time.
Then Death laid the hand on the table.
I LOSE, he said. ALL I HAVE IS FOUR ONES.
He looked back into Granny's eyes for a moment. There was a blue glow in
the depth of his eye sockets. Maybe, for the merest fraction of a second,
barely noticeable even to the closest observation, one winked off.
Granny nodded, and extended a hand.
She prided herself on the ability to judge people by their gaze and their
handshake, which in this case was a rather chilly one."

Just because Death is playing your game doesn't mean
Death is playing by the rules.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
Drago-Morph said:
Connect Four, for I am unbeatable.
Definitely. I was going to say Tag, because I'm a pro that that, too, but he might try to use his preternatural powers to gain an edge.

BabySinclair

Apr 15, 2009
The Voice in Gaming said:
Hmm, I'd probably challenge him to a single-adventure D&D game; he gets to DM, I get to use any character I want, level limit 15, and he can't make the adventure with foreknoweldge of my character (but has to make it within three levels of difficulty to level 15). Then I bust out my best friend's most annoying PC; Axel Zade, Leader of Odell. Death's got nothing unless he cheats or makes an absolutely terrible adventure; which, I mean, he's welcome to do... but I'll still feel that is cheating, and even damned to hell for eternity it'll be because not even death could face Axel in a fair fight.
Come on. Make him give you a challenge of using a published level 20 single adventure against your level 5 PC. Then bring Pun-Pun to the table. Laugh without mercy or remorse. Only rule is no interference by deities unless the adventure specifies it, though Pun-Pun can probably kill them all anyways.

Calvinball and Hide 'n Seek are probably the two other options I would pick since they follow the rules of being games that I have played.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Me: "Okay, the game is: guess what am I thinking about right now?"

Death: "Sex."

Me: "NOOOO!!!!!"

Ebonrul

Apr 4, 2013
If it's old-school grim reaper skullface death, I'm challenging him to a beatbox contest. Without lips, I don't see him keeping up.

Jeyal

Apr 17, 2009
Coin Flip.

No cheating. No inherent ability to screw either party. Only raw probability. Seems fair enough.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
I'll challenge him to a best of 5-set in the original Company of Heroes, a game I used to be a top 100 player in.

He'd lose.

bz316

Feb 10, 2010
I challenge him to a contest where I try to ask him a question he can't answer or task he can't perform. Then I tell him to "get lost." ^_^

soulblade06

Mar 27, 2011
Shock and Awe said:
Obviously it must be a CHILDRENS' CARD GAME!!!
F***, someone beat me to it. Weird as it sounds, Yu-gi-oh's probably the game I'm best at, even if it's not the one I play most often. As long as he doesn't have access to what I call the "asshole cards" (the ones that destroy half of the cards on your opponent's field for no cost like Raigeki), I'm pretty confident in my deck.

Even better would be challenging him to a battle on the alto-sax. I'm okay in general and mediocre on improv/sight-reading, but Death's embouchure (read: putting your lips on the mouthpeice) would be complete and utter crap, seeing as he's a skeleton. He wouldn't even be able to produce a sound.

Lacking that, I would issue this challenge: the first to solve the other's riddle wins. My riddle would be this: If pinocchio existed, and he were to say that his nose would grow longer immediately after he finished that statement, what would happen?

As they say, it matters less whether or not I lose than whether or not you win.

soulblade06

Mar 27, 2011
The Lazy Blacksmith said:
Rack said:
Rock Band Vocals.

If I pick a song I can 100% a few of them on Expert so the odds are good in any event, but my guess is Death's hallmark vocal echoes will completely screw him over.
You will, of course, pick Don't Fear the Reaper as your song, otherwise the entire concept of poetic justice will have shriveled up and died. ;)
Or, even better, make the challenge to get the highest score on vocals on the easiest difficulty. Then put a desk fan in front of your microphone and walk away.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Assuming stereotypical skeletal Death: Wet shirt contest. If not (which seems logical as most women could then live forever): Tic Tac Toe.