You Don't Know Jack

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
You Don't Know Jack

MovieBob would like to introduce you to the real C.S. Lewis, creator of Narnia.

Read Full Article

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I should read these books already.

"Good deeds are good deeds." has basically been my philosophy on how to live my life and what should happen with whatever sort of god/afterlife there is/isn't.

"Don't be a dick." is also part of it. :p

Angnor

Nov 11, 2010
A topic near and dear to my heart. Always fun to hear a little bit more about the people behind all this stuff we see. Nice article.

npath

Apr 2, 2010
Before the inevitable all-encompassing flame-war starts in, I want to thank you for this thoughtful, even-handed look at the relationship between Lewis's faith and fiction. I think it's one of your best columns.

sorenity34

Nov 19, 2009
Interesting post, Bob.

I think Lewis subscribed to the same interpretation of "No one comes to the Father except through me" as I do: Doing the right thing *is* putting faith in God even if we do not realize it.

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I should read these books already.

"Good deeds are good deeds." has basically been my philosophy on how to live my life and what should happen with whatever sort of god/afterlife there is/isn't.

Speaking as a long time fan, yes, yes you should. Even ignoring all the theological parts (I completely missed them the first time through) it's great fantasy and a good read.

npath said:
Before the inevitable all-encompassing flame-war starts in, I want to thank you for this thoughtful, even-handed look at the relationship between Lewis's faith and fiction. I think it's one of your best columns.
Seconded. Thanks for the insight Bob.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Fascinating article Bob, perhaps Lewis' grab-bag approach not only applied to forging the mythic world of Narnia, but also bringing together the various religious sects

Dorkmaster Flek

Mar 13, 2008
Fantastic writeup Bob. I see why my mother loves the Narnia books so much. She's also what would be called a "theistic evolutionist". :)

Unesh52

May 27, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

sorenity34 said:
I think Lewis subscribed to the same interpretation of "No one comes to the Father except through me" as I do: Doing the right thing *is* putting faith in God even if we do not realize it.
To the both of you -- what do you mean by "do good?" Can I still be doing good if I'm doing something contrary to the word of God? Or are you saying that if you follow the word of God, it's still good, even if you're not doing those things because it'd the word of God?

OT: When I opened this, I went "Oh Christ it's four pages," and I only read it because I'm cooking lunch and I don't have much else to do. But it turned out to be really interesting. I read The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe for English class in like 7th grade, and it really just didn't do it for me. In fact, fantasy books like Tolkien's and Lewis' never have. I hated The Hobbit. However, the story of Lewis' life and his struggles with faith and nostalgia is very meaningful to me. It makes me reflect on all the different ways and reasons a person can be a follower of Christ. It's not just one faith with one set of rules. Not everyone who believes it does so for the same reasons, and the reasons can be really out there themselves.

So yeah, the relationship to the fantasy world of Narnia didn't make this article for me, but the ruminations on the nature of faith really did. Damn good article Bob.

The Keeper

Feb 19, 2009
This is one of the best written and most thoughtful articles I've read on this site. Also very educational. Thank you, Bob.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
summerof2010 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

My personal definition of "do good", is "try not to harm anyone".

It's loose, but I haven't really encounter any terribly contrived situations in my life that have torn be apart yet.

Varya

Elvish Ambassador
Nov 23, 2009
Really interesting intermission today. I've always been a CS Lewis fan and kept being one even after I realized the Christianity of them, so this was really enlightening for me

megalomania

Apr 14, 2009
MovieBob said:
MovieBob: You Don't Know Jack

MovieBob would like to introduce you to the real C.S. Lewis, creator of Narnia.

Read Full Article
Damn you Bob! I have just spent 15 minutes trying to find the nearest library so I can read the books again... I will have to find out if my parents still have them.

Very insightful as always. Also, as always, sending me to discover or rediscover something!

sorenity34

Nov 19, 2009
summerof2010 said:
To the both of you -- what do you mean by "do good?" Can I still be doing good if I'm doing something contrary to the word of God? Or are you saying that if you follow the word of God, it's still good, even if you're not doing those things because it'd the word of God?
To clarify: "good" meaning "according to God's will."

Oct 14, 2010
A stellar piece on an incredibly interesting and influential man.

If you want to see a man's biggest struggles laid bare, read Lewis's "A Grief Observed," written after the death of his wife.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I didn't read much "children's" literature growing up. By the time I was reading fantasy I was into my teens and didn't look back. So since I didn't try reading the Narnia books until I was in my mid-20s, they didn't do much for me. Then again, other than The Hobbit, neither did Tolkien. But I greatly respect the role both played in laying the foundations of the genre, and the concept of world-building. Maybe they were too good at it, since it took half a century for the literary genre to really break away from their influence, while films and especially video games are still treading their same ground.

I'm not as impressed with Lewis as an apologist--I find it kind of surprising a folklorist, especially a smart guy like him, couldn't see the biggest weakness against his own Trilemma. And his so-called "atheist" period always sounded more like adolescent rebellion: is there any point in discussing someone's faith until after they've actually thought long and hard on it? But I respect his integrity, open-mindedness and intellectual honesty, and would rather debate the issue with someone like him than most of the ranting idiots you find--on either side.

Pills_Here

Dec 10, 2009
Damn, Bob. You put some work into this one. I also get the impression you're a pretty big Lewis fan (not many folks know the Space Trilogy, even though it's some of his best work). Thoroughly enjoyed the article, thank you very much.