You get to remaster one game/franchise...

JamesStone

If it ain't broken, get to work
Jun 9, 2010
What franchise is it, and what do you do?

It can be as extensive as you want, as long as it remains the same game(s) in the end (so no "Medieval 2: Total War but you fight as a general third person style and have no control over your troops"). It can be a single game, or dozens of games, if they're all of the same franchise (so no spin-offs included) and time is not a constraint. From Ultima to Dying Light, no game is too recent or far away to escape the grasp of your imaginary powers!

On my part I'd remaster the Dark Souls series. I've recently been playing the franchise because of the Ringed City release to experience it one last time (yeah right)and I can't help but to notice how much potential there is in the cut content. From dialogue with bosses like Sir Artorias or entire questlines like Knight Oscar, Lord of Cinder/Dark Lord, the Dark Souls series would benefit a lot from a retouch and a bit of polish.

I'd bring the gameplay up to par with Dark Souls III for the entire franchise, with Weapon Arts and all, give a bit of extra dialogue to some bosses so they can better introduce the player to the lore (No long cutscenes, just stuff like the Artorias cut dialogue - making obvious implicit stuff explicit to give them more character while still maintaining the mystery and open endness of the franchise), and a few small cutscenes to some bosses (The one I had in mind was Champion Gundyr - an introductory cutscene where he talks about testing you and another where he shoves the Coiled Sword inside himself, acknowledging his fate). Also a more extensive redone of Dark Souls II, especially its bosses (A lot of redesigns both visual and gameplay, cutting a few useless ones), and adjusting its lore/plot to be more in line with Dark Souls I and III. The redesign/touches to bosses should also apply to Dark Souls I - the Stray Demon/Firesage and the Capra Demon in particular would be hit hard with the Redesign Bat.

So, what're your ideas? What game(s) would you like to see updated to bring the best out of them?

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
As I've said before, Turok. The first two games were some of my favourite FPSes back in the day, but their age shows terribly and the following games looked like a slow slide into mediocrity compounded by a further slide into badness with the first attempt at a reboot.

Give us a game that fully embraces not only the comic book origin, but the Native American elements as well before plunging Joshua Fireseed or Tal'Set into the chaos of the Lost Land. I kind of want to see an open world Lost Land, but also divided up into diverse themed segments controlled by the Dinosoids (smart mutant dinosaurs), Pur-Linn (swamps), Fireborn (volcano), Mantids (hive), Undead (catacombs) and the Campaigner's army of mercenaries seeking to gain control over all of them, and arranged so that with the exception of Campaigner's Fortress, you can visit and complete them in any order.

Feral dinosaurs would be the most common sight of course, and we should be allowed to tame and ride any of them that are big enough, even the pterodactyls (one of the Turok 2's highlights being riding a Triceratops modified with two shoulder rocket launchers, which was a mini-boss in the first game). Both Tal'Set and Joshua always wore goggles while hunting that did not seem to serve any real purpose except decoration, so give us 'hunter vision' through them so that you can target vital organs with your Tek Bow, or the cybernetic components of the modified dinos to free them from the Campaigner's control without killing them.

While the Tek Bow is Turok's most iconic weapon and should be treated as such, part of what made the games stand out was the rest of their unique arsenal (Cerebral Bore, Shredder Rifle, Fusion Cannon...), including various ability-enhancing Native American talismans in the second game, which is where the open world would come into play. Allow feathers, talons or anything else that's neat you would be able to collect in the Lost Land to be traded at Energy Totems for weapons, health, ammo or talismans.

Finally, make it difficult enough that you are going to want to get some of those talismans and powerful weapons ASAP, and you will definitely know it if you try to visit the areas out of order, but it can still be pulled off. On a similar but far more trivial note, something I haven't seen an FPS pull off well beyond bosses alone- a 'bonus dungeon' where Oblivion or the Primagen can be fought.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
You know what I notice? Too little interest in racing games. Whether it be from devs or gamers, no one's interested in virtual motorsports anymore. I don't know if my idea can change that trend, but I'm still giving it a shot.

Go back to basics with the classic Sega 1980s motorcycle game, Hang-On. You know, the one where they made variants of the cabinet with an actual mock-up of a motorcycle that you actually leaned to turn, just like a real bike. And honestly, if we're going to recreate a classic like that, we might as well do it right and do it full justice. Make a physical cabinet with a mock-up bike, just like the old days.

Damn, that would be pretty killer. Then you give the whole game a sick hard rock soundtrack that really makes you feel like going fast and burning rubber.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Well, I am of the "I'd rather they make a new Elder Scrolls thats better than Morrowind instead" but thats not the topic, so...

Morrowind.

Ofcourse, I wouldnt really change anything, I'd just polish the graphics, have native controller support, and fix all the bugs. Or atleast make the "reset actor" command a mappable button.

Feb 7, 2016
WhiteFangofWar said:
As I've said before, Turok. The first two games were some of my favourite FPSes back in the day, but their age shows terribly and the following games looked like a slow slide into mediocrity compounded by a further slide into badness with the first attempt at a reboot.

Give us a game that fully embraces not only the comic book origin, but the Native American elements as well before plunging Joshua Fireseed or Tal'Set into the chaos of the Lost Land. I kind of want to see an open world Lost Land, but also divided up into diverse themed segments controlled by the Dinosoids (smart mutant dinosaurs), Pur-Linn (swamps), Fireborn (volcano), Mantids (hive), Undead (catacombs) and the Campaigner's army of mercenaries seeking to gain control over all of them, and arranged so that with the exception of Campaigner's Fortress, you can visit and complete them in any order.

Feral dinosaurs would be the most common sight of course, and we should be allowed to tame and ride any of them that are big enough, even the pterodactyls (one of the Turok 2's highlights being riding a Triceratops modified with two shoulder rocket launchers, which was a mini-boss in the first game). Both Tal'Set and Joshua always wore goggles while hunting that did not seem to serve any real purpose except decoration, so give us 'hunter vision' through them so that you can target vital organs with your Tek Bow, or the cybernetic components of the modified dinos to free them from the Campaigner's control without killing them.

While the Tek Bow is Turok's most iconic weapon and should be treated as such, part of what made the games stand out was the rest of their unique arsenal (Cerebral Bore, Shredder Rifle, Fusion Cannon...), including various ability-enhancing Native American talismans in the second game, which is where the open world would come into play. Allow feathers, talons or anything else that's neat you would be able to collect in the Lost Land to be traded at Energy Totems for weapons, health, ammo or talismans.

Finally, make it difficult enough that you are going to want to get some of those talismans and powerful weapons ASAP, and you will definitely know it if you try to visit the areas out of order, but it can still be pulled off. On a similar but far more trivial note, something I haven't seen an FPS pull off well beyond bosses alone- a 'bonus dungeon' where Oblivion or the Primagen can be fought.
I'd like to think this is within the realm of possibility given the positivity surrounding the recent remasters on Steam. I mean, Night Dive Studios is doing so with the System Shock series, but I have a feeling they view the Turok franchise as less valuable today. You see System Shock in just about every top FPS list, but you rarely see Turok, which is a disservice and dishonest since it was quite popular when it came out.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Saelune said:
Well, I am of the "I'd rather they make a new Elder Scrolls thats better than Morrowind instead" but thats not the topic, so...

Morrowind.

Ofcourse, I wouldnt really change anything, I'd just polish the graphics, have native controller support, and fix all the bugs. Or atleast make the "reset actor" command a mappable button.
Id like to see voice acting as long as it include all the dialogue. Interesting quests would be nice too - collecting 10 bear asses gets boring real quick. Fast travel being an option other it's just wasting my time.

I find that Morrowind is just a bunch of tests - but I don't know if you can change that without changing the narrative.

Dark Souls 1 has the same problem. I got sick and tired of proving my worth. But I don't know if you can change that without changing the narrative

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Mechwarrior - the whole series especially, but if not that then MW3. I'd bring the graphics up to modern standards, add support for VR, make voxel-based destructible terrain, and perhaps add more options and complexity in the form of sensors and signature management. If possible, it would be great to add Aerotech elements - include a secondary campaign in the role of a fighter pilot. Finally, I'd also add a framework for user-created mission sets to ensure it is playable over and over again even after completing the official campaign several times.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Remaster... I'd rather remake the Quest for Glory series into a 3rd person action-rpg, keeping the humor of the series intact. If anything I feel would be an awesome game to play through in a modern-ish version, it's definitely QFG.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
trunkage said:
Saelune said:

Morrowind.

Id like to see voice acting as long as it include all the dialogue. Interesting quests would be nice too - collecting 10 bear asses gets boring real quick. Fast travel being an option other it's just wasting my time.

I find that Morrowind is just a bunch of tests - but I don't know if you can change that without changing the narrative.

Dark Souls 1 has the same problem. I got sick and tired of proving my worth. But I don't know if you can change that without changing the narrative
There is too much dialogue and too much needing to be able to ask anyone the same thing.

And fuck fast travel. It is immersion breaking. I like that getting places is its own adventure in Morrowind. I want TES to remove fast travel and bring back transportation and teleportation magic. The sense of exploration really is lacking in the other TES games. Even ESO is more fun to explore in, partially cause it has limited fast travel.

There is way more quest variety in Morrowind than in Skyrim. Skyrim has way more "collect x" than Morrowind. Really, the only "collect x" quests I can think of are the early Balmora Mage Guild, and the Imperial Cult which is I believe supposed to be kind of boring.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Legacy of the Ancients, an old C-64/Apple RPG that alternated between first-person dungeoning and high-overhead (think early Ultima) style wilderness and city exploration, with some nifty minigames for gambling and increasing your character's stats. The story centered around a sort of museum and searching for jeweled coins to activate its exhibits- I think to see that museum with carefully-crafted CG in, say, the Myst style could be fantastic.

It had a quasi-sequel called The Legend of Blacksilver, but I never got to play it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Marathon.

Keep some elements, such as the map design, weapon variety, overall story, etc., but remaster it to make the gameplay more up to snuff. In short, Halo's gameplay ported into the Marathon setting, and take advantage of new storytelling technology (e.g. convey the story through more than just the terminals.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

I want the Zone to stretch from Pripyat and the Garbage alllll the way across Asia. Make it the biggest sandbox outside of strictly procedurals. Give me new mutants, amazing levels and cold-war abandoned bases to explore, pepper the lands with shifting and twisted anomalies and unique corruptions, let me hunt for secret weapons and learn about paranoid conspiracies that hatched hideous experiments... but have all of the old mutants make appearances, I would love to bump into some familiar faces from the first games, and just like the originals, don't you dare hold my hand through it!

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Saelune said:
And fuck fast travel. It is immersion breaking. I like that getting places is its own adventure in Morrowind. I want TES to remove fast travel and bring back transportation and teleportation magic. The sense of exploration really is lacking in the other TES games. Even ESO is more fun to explore in, partially cause it has limited fast travel.
All of my yes. Fast travel is the bane of open world RPGs. Want to get somewhere? Then walk it! Or ride, or book passage on a cart, or something. Don't just zip from point to point on the map. Its mere existence makes people lazy. If I am halfway to my destination and I realise I forgot something that would be really nice to have along, it's incredibly difficult not to just pop back home in a click, pick up my item, and pop back to where I was, or at least nearby. That's just not right, in that situation you should be agonising over whether to turn around and journey all that way back again, make do without, or possibly make a detour on the way to perhaps collect a sub-par temporary replacement. Decisions like that add so much to a game, but easy fast travel takes all the importance out of them.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Saelune said:

Morrowind.

i totally agree morrowind its begging for a remaster and is still popular today

mass effect..some of the features of andromeda would work like crafted worlds for instance and as long as they dont add things like bug eyes that stare into your soul

Shadowsetzer

Jul 15, 2010
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
All of my yes. Fast travel is the bane of open world RPGs. Want to get somewhere? Then walk it! Or ride, or book passage on a cart, or something. Don't just zip from point to point on the map. Its mere existence makes people lazy. If I am halfway to my destination and I realise I forgot something that would be really nice to have along, it's incredibly difficult not to just pop back home in a click, pick up my item, and pop back to where I was, or at least nearby. That's just not right, in that situation you should be agonising over whether to turn around and journey all that way back again, make do without, or possibly make a detour on the way to perhaps collect a sub-par temporary replacement. Decisions like that add so much to a game, but easy fast travel takes all the importance out of them.
Umm, not to be a jerk, but if you don't like fast travel, maybe just don't use it?

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Saelune said:

Morrowind.

^ This

Oh and KotOR I & II... need me some Atton in HD!

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Shadowsetzer said:
infohippie said:
Saelune said:
Umm, not to be a jerk, but if you don't like fast travel, maybe just don't use it?
The point is that in situations like the one I am describing it is extremely difficult not to use it to just pop back and take care of whatever you've forgotten. It has to actually be removed to make situations like this meaningful. Besides that, including fast travel makes it much less important for the dev to include well thought out in-universe methods of travelling long distances such as vehicle services or teleportation spells. Why would you invest time, effort, and skill points in learning a teleport spell when you can effectively teleport at will by means of fast travel? How is it a meaningful choice whether or not to use one of a severely limited supply of teleport scrolls if you can just fast travel without them? Built-in fast travel removes a lot of possibilities from an open world game.