You get to remaster one game/franchise...

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Dead Space

Not for any reason in particular, I was just thinking about how much I loved the first two and how disappointed I was by the third and Dead Space 3 is the only one I own now and having the original two again with beefed up visuals and access to all of they're DLC's would be pretty sweet in my book, especially since I heard the DLC for 3 was pretty good and I never got a chance to play it, or any of it for that matter.

I'd play a remake like that super hard.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Resistance.

The main trilogy has been overwhelmingly inconsistent all around. I'm all for Sony to remaster to bring consistency all around.

Resistance 1: Brown, Grey world war 2 era aliens invade the earth military shooter. Has multiple weapons and split screen co-op.
Resistance 2: Brown, Grey (more ambiguous era) aliens invade the earth military shooter. Only has 2 weapons with no split screen co-op. (I mean seriously, wtf?)
Resistance 3: (not so much) Brown, Grey modern day-ish aliens invade the earth post apocalyptic non-military shooter. Has multiple weapons and split screen co-op.

I really liked the step Resistance 3 has taken. For the remaster, I would definitely strip away the military 2 weapon shooter aspects of the shooter and have each protagonist of the game be an average civilian.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
MegaTen:
SO MANY of the older games have aged poorly or are just too damn hard to play legally.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Saelune said:
trunkage said:
Saelune said:
Well, I am of the "I'd rather they make a new Elder Scrolls thats better than Morrowind instead" but thats not the topic, so...

Morrowind.

Ofcourse, I wouldnt really change anything, I'd just polish the graphics, have native controller support, and fix all the bugs. Or atleast make the "reset actor" command a mappable button.
Id like to see voice acting as long as it include all the dialogue. Interesting quests would be nice too - collecting 10 bear asses gets boring real quick. Fast travel being an option other it's just wasting my time.

I find that Morrowind is just a bunch of tests - but I don't know if you can change that without changing the narrative.

Dark Souls 1 has the same problem. I got sick and tired of proving my worth. But I don't know if you can change that without changing the narrative
There is too much dialogue and too much needing to be able to ask anyone the same thing.

And fuck fast travel. It is immersion breaking. I like that getting places is its own adventure in Morrowind. I want TES to remove fast travel and bring back transportation and teleportation magic. The sense of exploration really is lacking in the other TES games. Even ESO is more fun to explore in, partially cause it has limited fast travel.

There is way more quest variety in Morrowind than in Skyrim. Skyrim has way more "collect x" than Morrowind. Really, the only "collect x" quests I can think of are the early Balmora Mage Guild, and the Imperial Cult which is I believe supposed to be kind of boring.
Lets have a look at this: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/House_Redoran_Quests

They are either collect/find or kill something quests - every single one. You might think they have context that makes them satisfactory. I personally don't find them any different than a Skyrim quest. The reason why I class these as worse is that you are just trying to prove your worth to the Redorans. If this happened once in the game it would be okay, but you have to prove your worth to everyone and I personally find that annoying.

(I seem to remember Telvanni house quest line being a more interesting house, although I seem to remember being sent on assassination mission all the time. I didn't do them this play through)

As to fast travel, I said optional. Maybe you could turn it off in the menu - I don't mind. But just because you like a feature, doesn't mean you get to force me to play your way, particularly when fast travel is still optional to use in Skyrim.

I played Morrowind again after I played Skyrim. I found it frustrating. There are some bad changes, sure, but there are good changes too. You could keep Morrowind as is, or you could try can cater for you and me. I seem to remember in the Metro Redux games you could switch between the way the first and second game played. Maybe that could be a good way to go.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Id remake Secret of Mana from the SNES. A zeldaesque rpg with 3 player co-op. Some of the best gaming experiences of my life happened there.

Id remake Guardian Heroes from the sega saturn. A scrolling beat em up like streets of rage but with epic story, loads of secrets, charecter progression, branching pathways, multiple endings, loads of charecters and a level up mechanic.

Id like a remake powerstone 2 from the dreamcast. It is the game smash brothers wishes it was. Constantly changing levels, hundreds of weapons and crafting, mental charecters and so much charm.

Finally it is time for crazy taxi to make a comeback. Its perfect arcade genius! Just dont get rid of The Offspring on the sound track.

There is no need to remake the shining force games from the Sega Genesis as theyre still perfect. Id just release the Japan only installments.

I feel old, you lot are mostly picking recent releases.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Oh wow... Just one?

I'm weirldy indifferent to remakes of 8bit and 16bit games as I consider them perfectly fine in terms of graphics and sound (though that Remake of Dragon's Trap looks amazing), so I'd appreciate remakes of PSX or PS2 games of Squaresoft games the most.

On my list would be 'Xenogears', 'Chrono Cross', 'Parasite Eve', 'Einhander'and 'Final Fantasy 9', but if I had to pick one it would be...

Vagrant Story
Don't touch the story, cinematography of the cutscenes or level layout.
Only bring the graphics up to modern standard, arrange the soundtrack and pick some decent voice actors (important to conserve the mature feeling).

For me, aside from the graphics, the game is pretty much perfect. A shame it only lives in obscurity and never got the attention it deserved.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Xerosch said:
Oh wow... Just one?

I'm weirldy indifferent to remakes of 8bit and 16bit games as I consider them perfectly fine in terms of graphics and sound (though that Remake of Dragon's Trap looks amazing), so I'd appreciate remakes of PSX or PS2 games of Squaresoft games the most.

On my list would be 'Xenogears', 'Chrono Cross', 'Parasite Eve', 'Einhander'and 'Final Fantasy 9', but if I had to pick one it would be...

Vagrant Story
Don't touch the story, cinematography of the cutscenes or level layout.
Only bring the graphics up to modern standard, arrange the soundtrack and pick some decent voice actors (important to conserve the mature feeling).

For me, aside from the graphics, the game is pretty much perfect. A shame it only lives in obscurity and never got the attention it deserved.
HOLY SHIT! Vagrant Story is the best thing sqeenix ever made and I played it to death. If any game ever needed a sequel or remake it is this one. We can close the thread now, it is over. I can cancel all of my suggestions from earlier.

It may need a tutorial on crafting added. It is far from intuitive and took me lots of play time to know what I was doing.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
Broken record mode, engage!

Front Mission. Specifically, Front Mission 3.

There's stuff of the horizon, which MIGHT scratch that itch, finally. But in the meantime, I will continue to lament how dead the genre has been.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Resident Evil 1 - 3. Don't have to be remade entirely; just have the graphics updated with high-res character models and the backgrounds with RE7 quality graphics. Ehmmm..which is probably remaking it entirely. :p They can keep the game the exact same but ugh..the PS1 originals have aged badly. The rudimentary polygons of the character models are particularly rough on the eyes but the pre-rendered backgrounds haven't aged very well either and now look like washed out .gif's. I mean, RE 1-3 are some of my favorite games but they could definitely use a facelift. Though, I guess wish granted for RE1 and 2?

They are much newer games but I wouldn't mind both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls to be 'remade' with DkS3/Bloodborne graphics either. Having all that beautiful art come to life really helps the games I think.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
So many listing games from the last 5 years. Go big or go home I say.

On that note, my pick is Stunt Island from 1992.

What initially looks like another forgettable flight sim from the early 90s has a hell of a surprise up its sleeve, one I wish I'd discovered earlier than just this year. You see, this game has the most robust machinima making software package this side of Source Filmmaker, where you can direct elaborate action scenes of almost every description. It's hard to briefly explain just how powerful and how much potential this game has beyond a mere flight game, so I won't- I'll just direct you to this RPS feature that does a way better job instead. [http://www.pcgamer.com/reinstall-stunt-island/]

Best of all, with the renewed interest in low-poly games such as Sky Rogue, Unturned and the like, you could keep the simple graphics (just abolish the horrendous anti aliasing and smooth out the framerate) and then package a simple object editor in and BAM: suddenly anyone can make anything, for any kind of movie they could possibly want.

You know it makes sense.​

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
trunkage said:
Saelune said:
trunkage said:
Saelune said:
Well, I am of the "I'd rather they make a new Elder Scrolls thats better than Morrowind instead" but thats not the topic, so...

Morrowind.

Ofcourse, I wouldnt really change anything, I'd just polish the graphics, have native controller support, and fix all the bugs. Or atleast make the "reset actor" command a mappable button.
Id like to see voice acting as long as it include all the dialogue. Interesting quests would be nice too - collecting 10 bear asses gets boring real quick. Fast travel being an option other it's just wasting my time.

I find that Morrowind is just a bunch of tests - but I don't know if you can change that without changing the narrative.

Dark Souls 1 has the same problem. I got sick and tired of proving my worth. But I don't know if you can change that without changing the narrative
There is too much dialogue and too much needing to be able to ask anyone the same thing.

And fuck fast travel. It is immersion breaking. I like that getting places is its own adventure in Morrowind. I want TES to remove fast travel and bring back transportation and teleportation magic. The sense of exploration really is lacking in the other TES games. Even ESO is more fun to explore in, partially cause it has limited fast travel.

There is way more quest variety in Morrowind than in Skyrim. Skyrim has way more "collect x" than Morrowind. Really, the only "collect x" quests I can think of are the early Balmora Mage Guild, and the Imperial Cult which is I believe supposed to be kind of boring.
Lets have a look at this: http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/House_Redoran_Quests

They are either collect/find or kill something quests - every single one. You might think they have context that makes them satisfactory. I personally don't find them any different than a Skyrim quest. The reason why I class these as worse is that you are just trying to prove your worth to the Redorans. If this happened once in the game it would be okay, but you have to prove your worth to everyone and I personally find that annoying.

(I seem to remember Telvanni house quest line being a more interesting house, although I seem to remember being sent on assassination mission all the time. I didn't do them this play through)

As to fast travel, I said optional. Maybe you could turn it off in the menu - I don't mind. But just because you like a feature, doesn't mean you get to force me to play your way, particularly when fast travel is still optional to use in Skyrim.

I played Morrowind again after I played Skyrim. I found it frustrating. There are some bad changes, sure, but there are good changes too. You could keep Morrowind as is, or you could try can cater for you and me. I seem to remember in the Metro Redux games you could switch between the way the first and second game played. Maybe that could be a good way to go.
I usually do Telvanni. But I find most quests in the game to be more interesting than Skyrim. Go to dungeon, find thing...woo. And even the more "interesting" ones are about killing something. I like that a ton of Morrowind quests dont require any killing at all, sometimes even when the quest says to kill a person, you can find alternative ways to finish it.

And as for forcing a feature...uh...most games do that actually. And "optional"? I mean, shooting people in Call of Duty is "optional" but you wont get far. And Morrowind is made without fast travel in mind. Oblivion and Skyrim are not. They should just make better teleportation spells to pacify those too lazy to enjoy exploration and adventurous travel. Plus with random encounters, that can be even more fun! If they remove fast travel (which they should) they should also make travel more fun and exciting.

Depth > Casual

Edit: To be clear, I am not using "casual" in a "filthy cazuals" kind of way...technically. I just think that making everything more easy isnt the best way to make a better open-world RPG that brags about being able to do what you want. They should not be afraid of making things more difficult when trying to add depth and variety to the game.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Elijin said:
Broken record mode, engage!

Front Mission. Specifically, Front Mission 3.

There's stuff of the horizon, which MIGHT scratch that itch, finally. But in the meantime, I will continue to lament how dead the genre has been.
I did enjoy front mission 3. Ive beat it at least 5 times. The combat and skill up system is top notch but I doubt many modern gamers have the stomach for the flat story telling and and laboured fake internet mechanic.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008

This puppy right here. It was pretty much archaic even when it came out, with its elder Planescape: Torment being more refined in both art design and gameplay. It didn't do all that as well as far as I can recall and never became a franchise.

But goddamn if the world doesn't grip me like few others ever did. I never finished it, didn't even get that far, but I adore it so much. It deserves to be either remade as a traditional isometric RPG, as is popular again these days, or be made into this amazing Dragon Age-esque game. The world and story have enough untapped potential that it deserves to be remade for once.

I can already see myself travelling through glorious Victorian cities and... Yes.

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
I'd remaster the FreeSpace games in the following ways:

Both:
- Upgrade the graphics to modern standards. (Or at least something graphically on par with high-end FSOpen mods).

FS1:
- Fix the Silent Threat expansion so it isn't a haphazard mess of poor level design and sub-par storytelling.
- Add an expansion that bridges the events of FreeSpace 1 and FreeSpace 2 focused on the rebellion of the Neo-Terran Front.
- Restore the "Destruction of Vasuda Prime" cutscene that was cut from the game.
- Remaster the sound design to make it sound less soundbite-y and more in line with FS2's sound design.

FS2:
- Fix the "AI can't use Trebuchet Missile" bug, there are so many levels where equipping my wingmen with Trebuchet Missiles would've made things so much easier.
- Add an expansion that deals with the aftermath of the game and mankind's return to the Sol system (as Volition was planning to before they got bought by THQ and lost the rights to the franchise).
- Add more optional SOC levels.

There isn't a whole lot I'd change from the games, just fix a couple of bugs and add dummied out content.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
F*cking Remaster the First Quake!!!!
Like, Seriously, we have a story which involve Space Marines Versus Cosmic Lovecraftian Beings.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Anything eh? I've always had my sights on an Ace Combat series remaster. PC ports for everything, maybe updated textures/models by choice but that's it.

An alternate pick would be a total remaster of .hack as a franchise, GU included. God knows we need it and these days it would fit on one disc.

Alternate-alternate, Metal Gear, full proper PC release of everything. To quote Razorfist from his Commando review,

Dec 10, 2012
The Hexen series, comprised of Heretic, Hexen (plus the expansion Death Kings of the Dark Citadel), and Hexen II (plus Portal of Praevus). Heretic II is an entirely different beast, and not nearly as good as the others.

The way I imagine it is to upgrade the engine to a more modern one, Unreal 4 perhaps, but keep the aesthetic as close as possible, right down to the small number of tile sets and assets. I wouldn't change the levels or enemies themselves except to smooth out the few truly badly designed areas, and the weapons and inventory items would also function the same way. The music, the sound effects, the limited lighting effects, it's all part of the experience for me, so the only thing I would change is the engine, and only so it runs smoothly on a modern computer.

In fact, all I really want is to be able to play these games again on a modern system without needed a computer engineering degree to get them to work properly, so if they could be ported as-is to my current hardware that would be enough to make me happy.

Or even just make a sequel or reboot, the way DOOM just did. God, I miss Hexen's style these days.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Cowabungaa said:

This puppy right here. It was pretty much archaic even when it came out, with its elder Planescape: Torment being more refined in both art design and gameplay. It didn't do all that as well as far as I can recall and never became a franchise.

But goddamn if the world doesn't grip me like few others ever did. I never finished it, didn't even get that far, but I adore it so much. It deserves to be either remade as a traditional isometric RPG, as is popular again these days, or be made into this amazing Dragon Age-esque game. The world and story have enough untapped potential that it deserves to be remade for once.

I can already see myself travelling through glorious Victorian cities and... Yes.
Yes. So much. I really love the idea of this game. Unfortunatly, I've yet to finish it because it's so damn clunky and hard to get started in. Fallout 2 has nothing on Arcanum for bad early game. A lot of games you can fumble your way through the character creator and still be okay but Arcanum's system is so hard to figure out for a newbie and the early game area is not conductive to learning the systems very well.

I'd also put out Homeword: Catacylsm. Besides the obvious problems of being difficult to run on modern PC's, it's interface is awkward and unlike the other two games and really needs some cleanup work done.

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
Dec 31, 2009
Sweden
Country
Sweden
The Timesplitters trilogy, I'd be happy if they just released them on steam so I could play them at 1080p (or higher) and +60fps.

Now that I'm looking at it, the games animations/facial animations are really good for a game that released 2005.