You get to remove one word from the English language

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
sageoftruth said:
Froggy Slayer said:
no

Just to watch the chaos. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Welcome to Japan.
Have you seen the kind of insanity that happens in Japan on a daily basis? That's what happens when you get a society with no 'no'. This is coming from someone who LOVES Japanese culture.

JoeThree

May 8, 2010
"Creep" and all versions of it. I am so sick of hearing idiot girls say "he's such a creeper" just because he happens to ask them out. In other news, I need a lot less stupid girl friends.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
Trilligan said:
The cool thing about language: there are millions of ways to say any one particular thing. Eliminating one word just removes a single way of saying something, and really wouldn't hinder our expression of that thing much at all.
This. Also, "like" is a filler word, and we'd just come up with something equally obnoxious. Every language has filler sounds. 'Um,' 'uh,' and 'er,' are just non-word versions of that.

Anyway, I'd remove the word "swallow." I just hate it so much.

Hipsy_Gypsy

Jun 2, 2011
Supertegwyn said:
'Lol'.

I hate it.
But, see, 'lol' isn't a word; it's an abbreviation (which is why I hate it being used as well, actually)! Same with things like 'YOLO' (ugh). Though, funny fact, 'loll' is a word; same phonetics as the abbreviation 'laugh out loud', or 'lots of love'. 'Loll' means 'to lounge'. For example, 'I was lolled on the sofa'. This is the other reason as to why I can't stand listening to people use 'lol' in real life.

Anyway, I'd want to have 'Islamist' banned. Why? Because it's not even a fucking word, BBC News. MUSLIMS follow the ISLAMIC faith. You know, ISLAM.

Jesus CHRIST.

Probably some other slang words as well.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Sheeple.

God I hate the word sheeple. I'm fine with new words, perverting the meanings of old words, all that stuff. I'm mostly fine with the expansion of the words like, "Epic" "Fail" and newly invented portmanteaus. But my god, use of the word, "Sheeple" is the greatest indicator ever that the person speaking is a arrogant dick who missed the memo about ad hominen being a fallacy. The only thing it has ever done is ruined conversations, or given people the opportunity to grow their smug sense of superiority.

Also, I love the word, "Literally" because it is incredibly useful, but I wish I could remove it from the vocabulary of people who don't know what it means. Seriously, HUGE pet peeve. When you use literally to mean, "Figuratively, but to an extreme", you not only communicate to me a blatent untruth (And don't say that I can figure out from context what you meant. The word literally MEANS that I shouldn't try to figure out the meaning from context. That's what the word DOES.), but you also make me question the veracity of a claim being made by a person who actually understands what literally means. Once upon a time, if someone said it was literally raining cats and dogs, I would know that various pets are falling out of the sky, perhaps due to an explosion at a pet store or something equally crazy. Now, if someone says that, I can't be sure if they are communicating to me a strange situation, or just fail at speaking their own language. There are a huge array of interesting life situations I am deprived of the capacity to communicate to others because people can't use the word right.

At least text speak only ruins the sentence that is being spoken, it doesn't undermine the entirety of communication for others.

cp2u

Jul 28, 2009
Chill.
At the very least, I'd like to remove any use of it as an adjective.

Jackalb

Dec 31, 2009
Mate.

Man 1: Hey mate, how you going?
Man 2: I'm alright mate - hey mate, isn't that a mate of yours?

MATE.
I AM NOT YOUR FUCKING MATE.

Banish this word for all eternity.

NikkieM

Jul 16, 2012
Get rid of OMG! I can't stand it, especially when people actually say "OMG" whilst having a conversation rather than take the extra half second it'd take to say "Oh my God!".

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
"Creeper."

Innocent vines be damned, at least I won't have to hear whiny-ass teenage girls ***** about how they think every man over 40 is a pedophile.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
Epic because it is epically overused

Alternatives:
Marrige, now civil unions for everyone, goodbye tiring discrimination troubles
damn, if you're gonna swear it is suddenly time to step it up
To throw this out there, just removing 'Marriage' will not suddenly stop it, and if I'm guessing this right your making a word never become a word, thus Civil Unions would be the 'straight' thin and then there would be another made up word for it.

Or i'm wrong and your just making everyone forget a single word since you posted, then I honestly don't know what we would do then.

L33T words, just remove the ENTIRE language. I don't care, LOL counts, same with any other new texting slang. Just fuck you non-proper spelled words.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Xanadu84 said:
Sheeple.

God I hate the word sheeple. I'm fine with new words, perverting the meanings of old words, all that stuff. I'm mostly fine with the expansion of the words like, "Epic" "Fail" and newly invented portmanteaus. But my god, use of the word, "Sheeple" is the greatest indicator ever that the person speaking is a arrogant dick who missed the memo about ad hominen being a fallacy. The only thing it has ever done is ruined conversations, or given people the opportunity to grow their smug sense of superiority.

Also, I love the word, "Literally" because it is incredibly useful, but I wish I could remove it from the vocabulary of people who don't know what it means. Seriously, HUGE pet peeve. When you use literally to mean, "Figuratively, but to an extreme", you not only communicate to me a blatent untruth (And don't say that I can figure out from context what you meant. The word literally MEANS that I shouldn't try to figure out the meaning from context. That's what the word DOES.), but you also make me question the veracity of a claim being made by a person who actually understands what literally means. Once upon a time, if someone said it was literally raining cats and dogs, I would know that various pets are falling out of the sky, perhaps due to an explosion at a pet store or something equally crazy. Now, if someone says that, I can't be sure if they are communicating to me a strange situation, or just fail at speaking their own language. There are a huge array of interesting life situations I am deprived of the capacity to communicate to others because people can't use the word right.

At least text speak only ruins the sentence that is being spoken, it doesn't undermine the entirety of communication for others.
The colloquial use of "literally" has largely been accepted as part of contemporary vernacular.

"lit·er·al·ly/ˈlitərəlē/
Adverb:
1.) In a literal manner or sense; exactly: "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle".
2.) Used to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling."

This isn't even an extremely new development in the English language, and I literally see it all the time.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
axlryder said:
The colloquial use of "literally" has largely been accepted as part of contemporary vernacular.

"lit·er·al·ly/ˈlitərəlē/
Adverb:
1.) In a literal manner or sense; exactly: "the driver took it literally when asked to go straight over the traffic circle".
2.) Used to acknowledge that something is not literally true but is used for emphasis or to express strong feeling."

This isn't even an extremely new development in the English language, and I literally see it all the time.
Commonly accepted or not, using it that second way does nothing except confuse and muddle language, and renders an otherwise very useful word meaningless. We get to decide what these arbitrary assortments of sound mean, and whoever decided that perverting literally in that way was an acceptable use of the word was a fool. If both definitions exist, then the word literally serves no purpose.

axlryder

victim of VR
Jul 29, 2011
Xanadu84 said:
axlryder said:

"lit·er·al·ly/ˈlitərəlē/
Adverb:

Commonly accepted or not, using it that second way does nothing except confuse and muddle language, and renders an otherwise very useful word meaningless. We get to decide what these arbitrary assortments of sound mean, and whoever decided that perverting literally in that way was an acceptable use of the word was a fool. If both definitions exist, then the word literally serves no purpose.
The meaning of words are perpetually changing, and many current grammatical or semantic trends that we don't think twice about were bred from errors or misnomers. The word "hypocrite", for instance, did not initially mean the mere act of doing what you are rebuking, but many dictionaries support that definition now. The word "whom" has been acceptably replaced by "who" in the beginning of a clause, even if it's the object of a preposition or verb. "They" is almost universally used in place of "he or she" in all but technical writing. The actual intended use of the word "literally" is honestly very easy to pick up based on the context. Someone as proficient with language as yourself surely wouldn't have a hard time making that determination. The person who first decided to use it that way did it as a creative flourish. They weren't a fool, merely prone to hyperbole and colorful language. I do think, even when done figuratively, that "literally" can be used poorly. I realize you think that usage ruins the word based on it being the effective opposite of its original meaning, but I just don't see enough genuine confusion to view the opposing meanings as a problem.

ThatDarnCoyote

Dec 3, 2011
"Hurtful". It's not a real word, and just try to say it without sounding whiny.

Captcha: "Solve Media". No, it wouldn't, but it would help.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Froggy Slayer said:
sageoftruth said:
Froggy Slayer said:
no

Just to watch the chaos. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Welcome to Japan.
Have you seen the kind of insanity that happens in Japan on a daily basis? That's what happens when you get a society with no 'no'. This is coming from someone who LOVES Japanese culture.
Yeah, I love it too. The insanity is what makes it so interesting. Their inability to overtly say "no" is what stymies the rest of the world during international relations.

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
If I could get rid of an entire phrase, it would be "down to earth". It just really annoys me, and people over-use it.

But if I could only get rid of one word, it'd be "revengeance" or "ministration".