You Have One More Year To Buy New Windows 7 PCs

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
You Have One More Year To Buy New Windows 7 PCs

Microsoft has updated its Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet, confirming that Windows 7 PC sales will end next year.

Six years after release, it's clear the PC market still loves Windows 7. Microsoft's 2009 operating system not only avoided <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/76484-Microsoft-Releases-Fix-for-Vista-Out-of-Memory-Error>many of Vista's mistakes, it proved to be an incredibly robust product in its own right. In fact, as recently as last year Hewlett Packard was running promotional campaigns <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131487-Hewlett-Packard-Promotes-Windows-7-On-New-PCs>which endorsed it over Windows 8. But all good things come to an end, represented by Microsoft updating its Windows Lifecycle Fact Sheet. You officially have one year left to buy a new Windows 7 PC, which retailers will stop receiving on Oct. 31, 2016.

Windows 7's end-of-sale period has been a long time coming. Microsoft typically sets this date for two years after a new OS launch, but Windows 8's lackluster reception granted it a reprieve. But now that Windows 10 is receiving positive reviews - <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142002-Microsoft-Windows-10s-Mandatory-Updates-Could-Be-Blowing-Through-Data-Caps-In-Remote-Locations>outside of a few hiccups - Microsoft is winding down production of the beloved OS. Windows 8 PCs will also end production on the same date.

To be clear, this doesn't mean support is ending for Windows 7. Microsoft will keep releasing updates and automatic fixes until Jan. 14, 2020, with Windows 8 following a few years later. You'll even still have time to buy Windows 7 PCs while remaining inventories hold out. But it does mean time is limited, since retailers and Original Equipment Manufacturers won't be allowed to construct any further Windows 7 builds.

By that point, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/142367-Microsoft-Downloads-Windows-10-To-Computers-Without-Consent>Windows 10 should have enough of the kinks worked out so that average customers won't mind the prior system being discontinued. But if you really prefer Windows 7 over 10 for some reason, you should mark Oct. 31, 2016 down on your calendars. After that date, new Windows 7 PCs will be in short supply.

Source: ZDNet

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I prefer Windows 7 because it isn't as much of a blatant violation of security as Windows 10 is.

It also doesn't have Solitaire WITH FUCKING MICROTRANSACTIONS.

snintendog

Apr 7, 2014
windows 10 is better than 8? At least I can fix the problems with 8 bah i say we just cut microsoft completely out and artificially lengthen windows 7 like we did with XP maybe a new custom service pack to remove Microsoft anything from 7 and a way to get rid of the nagware for windows 10 spyware edition. Windows 7 at least is stable enough to be called an OS unlike its predecessor and successors.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
Well damit, so i really would have to look into getting Windows 10 after 2020..... i only made the jump from XP to windows 7 about 7 years ago damit :mad:

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
snintendog said:
windows 10 is better than 8? At least I can fix the problems with 8 bah i say we just cut microsoft completely out and artificially lengthen windows 7 like we did with XP maybe a new custom service pack to remove Microsoft anything from 7 and a way to get rid of the nagware for windows 10 spyware edition. Windows 7 at least is stable enough to be called an OS unlike its predecessor and successors.
You are very right about that. Some even go so far as saying it is more than an OS, it is an Open Terminal to Microsoft.

If there were some interesting DX12 games, I think that is the only time I would use it is booting off an external drive and keeping my main OS on a separate workstation. Basically dedicate it to just gaming.

It is unfortunate that Steam squandered their opportunity with making their own game OS, I would like to move there or some other OS vs staying on Microsoft's platform.

Heh should read captcha - Panopticon

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
snintendog said:
windows 10 is better than 8?
Stubbing your toe is better than Windows 8, Windows 10 is a bit better than stubbing your toe.

I have several retail licenses of Win 7 Ultimate, Microsoft can go sing to the great marketing God Jobs for all I or my DVDs care. Plus if I'm ever short of money the Ebay value of Win 7 retail is about to sky rocket!

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Hopefully by jan 14th 2020 Windows 11 might be out and just might be a bit less of a clusterfuck than Windows 10. Until that day i prefer to ignore the existence of that piece of rubbish

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Quellist said:
Hopefully by jan 14th 2020 Windows 11 might be out and just might be a bit less of a clusterfuck than Windows 10. Until that day i prefer to ignore the existence of that piece of rubbish
I thought I read somewhere that they're NOT going to be producing a new OS ever again. There's not going to be a new version. Windows 10 is intended to be a "living OS" with constant, automatic, mandatory upgrades via the internet into the future.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
I'm still waiting for the next Win XP..
Best Win OS ever! so far.

Win 7 is the only Win OS I haven't used yet, ironically enough.

Remember when users had control over their computers (and games)?
Good times, good times.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Abit of a clever scheme since that when Window 10 is no longer free? Well ok I assume that offer is still apply for Windoer 8 and 9 users awell?

william1657

Scout
Mar 12, 2015
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Windows 7 is your best bet. It is a bit of a transition, but it is the closest Win OS in look and feel to XP in my experience.

Vendor-Lazarus said:
True fact! I miss XP.

I've gotta admit I wouldn't care how much spying Windows 10 did if they made it look and feel like either Windows XP or 7.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
When 10 gets to the point when Edge doesn't arbitrarily quit on me with no explanation, it can run my 7.1 headset in 7.1 not 2.0, have the mic work and not have a freaking HEADSET cause random bluescreens, and when it doesn't result in HP-laptop owning customers repeatedly whinging at me that their sound / trackpad / wireless has died since they upgraded to it, I might start showing it some respect.

Until then, Windows 7 is fine by me and 10 can get to fuck.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, unless one of the "kinks" that'll be "ironed out" is the fact that Microsoft won't ever allow complete disabling of tracking [http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/11/02/microsoft-confirms-unstoppable-windows-10-tracking] (except for Enterprise edition, of course) then I recommend people start getting used to building PCs and getting OEM Win7 discs for them.

Oh, and just to give everyone notice: Microsoft is planning to move the Win10 upgrade to the "recommended updates" section of Windows Update for Win7/8/8.1 at some time around the beginning of next year, so if your settings allow those to be automatically downloaded and installed, expect a ~2.5GB download and a Windows 10 install prompt in your near future.

Magmarock

Sep 1, 2011
If we have learned anything from XP is that the community will keep 7 going long after MS abandon it.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
For everyone who doesn't want to do the free upgrade to windows 10: There is a free program available to fix all of your concerns. https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

I should also point out that the software disables tracking on windows 7, 8 and 8.1 as well.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
william1657 said:
Vendor-Lazarus said:
Windows 7 is your best bet. It is a bit of a transition, but it is the closest Win OS in look and feel to XP in my experience.

Vendor-Lazarus said:
True fact! I miss XP.

I've gotta admit I wouldn't care how much spying Windows 10 did if they made it look and feel like either Windows XP or 7.
I clung onto Windows XP for years and years. I only got my new computer (the one I'm typing on) about three or four years ago now and I made sure it was Windows 7 for the specific reason that people I talked to said it compared relatively favourably to XP.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I keep getting the upgrade popup for 10 because I can't be assed to delete the packet from window's update and disable it blah blah blah.

I'd happily upgrade if not for the fact that it is currently utter shite. I know that I would no longer be able to play some of the online games I play as everyone I know that has upgraded has been SOL, and that I'd essentially be an unpaid QA tester playing Russian roulette with my hard drive.

littlecrow

Sep 14, 2009
Hell I'm still running on Vista. Then again I don't do much with my PC that requires much out of my operating system.