You heard of New Zealand?

Lex Hornman

Jul 26, 2011
Ofc I know New Zealand. And as to some people not know it exists. Well duh some people just are not interested or stupid.

On a side note I live right next to Zealand. Not New Zealand but "old"Zealand. Now did you know that place existed?

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
The main thing I know and admire (considering I'm Australian and know much about you cheeky little kiwis) is that you have some of the most polite and well mannered people in the world and that Australia could take some lessons from you in terms of immigrant management, seriously at one point you guys took in refugees we wouldn't.

skeliton112

Aug 12, 2009
Im an aussie, Im pretty sure I forfeit my citizenship if I dont know where New Zealand is by my fourth birthday.

Cipher1

Feb 28, 2011
I know you have a football team called the All Whites whom you sent to the South African world cup but thats about all I know of New Zealand.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Peter Croft said:
Guffe said:
I know some of the country, and it's location on the world map (without the text being there -.-)
You got loads of sheep and you like Rugby (what do you mean generalisation?)
You also have the hill with the strangest/longest name and it's an Island!
A big part of Lord of the Rings was filmed there due to the landscape.

AND since the Op asked to:
Anyone know something about or where Finland is??!! ;)
You're one of the penis shaped ones, right?
well uh-oh... hmmm
IT depends on how you look at it... I guess...
Really hoped no one would bring that up >.>

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Lex Hornman said:
Ofc I know New Zealand. And as to some people not know it exists. Well duh some people just are not interested or stupid.

On a side note I live right next to Zealand. Not New Zealand but "old"Zealand. Now did you know that place existed?
What you live in the Netherlands, Belgium or one of the other low countries, ow yes I am quite familiar with the not really obscure regions of Europe. Possibly Denmark? Maybe the United Kingdom, though why people consider being across the sea is the same as a neighbor is beyond me.

GoldenFish

Jun 10, 2011
Phantomess said:
Born and bred in Auckland, baby!
HAHA, I name you jaffa as it is your birthright.

I'm a New Zealander and to be honest I was oblivious of all these sheep-New Zealand jokes overseas. I confess I haven't read very far past the post I just quoted but I'm surprised no one has mentioned New Zealand's anti-nuclear policy.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Our neighbours and fellow ANZACs (Aussie here).

Oh, and sheep. And that really annoying work mate of my dads, who is quite often rude, arrogant and a pig. Oh, and these ads:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RenRILqwhJs

<3 you NZ

stygN

Yay! Custom title!
Jul 9, 2010
I know it for a couple of reasons, all of them stated earlier, and perhaps 1 more that's not stated earlier..

Sheep, Rugby, LOTR and the Kiwi bird. Another reason I have for knowing about New Zeeland is that it's the closest landmass that's directly opposite the earth from Norway (my home country). Exactly opposite Norway would be in the sea somewhere south west of New Zeeland.

As far as I've heard it's a nice and quiet country, not that much going on, either for better or worse..

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
Phantomess said:
Born and bred in Auckland, baby! Lived in Mairangi Bay, but most of the folks were from up near Whangarei. Was dragged from my home at the age of six and made to live in Australia by my uncaring parents, but one day... one day...
You poor lost soul... Were you near the beach? I'm from Rothesay Bay myself. Hope you find your way back one day.

OT: Seeing as I was born and raised in NZ I would hope I knew about this wonderful country.

The whole sheep thing is a bit over done. Sure we have a lot, I think the only place with a larger number per capita is the Falkland Islands. However, the reason we have so many is we are making use of our land. New Zealand has a land area roughly the same size as the British Isles. Our population is just below 4.4 million while the British Isles is around 67 million. What do we do with all this land? We farm as much as we can. Its just logical.

AND one last thing for everyone. They are NOT called kiwi birds. They are called kiwis. A kiwi is not a fruit. A kiwi fruit is a fruit. Its like calling a pigeon a "pigeon bird". Every time a New Zealander hears someone refer to our national icon as a "kiwi bird" and a kiwi fruit as just a kiwi they die a little inside. Its not right.

cynicalandbored

Nov 12, 2009
ffs-dontcare said:
They also mentioned Flight of the Concords. Yawn, I say.
I happen to quite like Flight of the Conchords. And rugby, as it goes. Though apologies if I caused any offence. I just wanted to point out that I'd heard of New Zealand without having to go into much detail as regards what I actually know, which is quite a lot really, considering I live over half the world away. But yeah, sorry for any possible offence caused.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I would hope I know my neighbors! Seriously, my family has always gone to NZ for holidays every year or two. It's so nice having such a cheap and pretty travel destination just across the pond.
But that accent man. Fuck me, I love NZ in every way I can, but there's something about the accent that just trips off my rage glands.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
Alpine Fault are from New Zealand, and those guys fucking ROCK! \m/

mellemhund

Apr 1, 2009
TopazFusion said:
Heard of it? I live here!

Oh, and the sheep-outnumbering-people thing; this is true of any farming country in the world, not just unique to New Zealand.
idd, althoug here in denmark it's pigs outnumbering people.

What I've heard of NZ: Half the young people are traveling abroad. Lots of nature. Used to have a pretty good welfare state until some unfortunate run with neo-liberalism around the early 90's, where everything was privatized.

Some more random information seems to be, that every national team is the 'black' something, like the all-blacks. And ofc haka.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Helscreama said:
I'm an Australian, so every second joke I make involves New Zealanders and sheep.
Weird. That's what us English do to the Welsh.

And yes, I have known of New Zealand for ages. I can point to it on a map. GO ME.

maxmanrules

Mar 30, 2011
Mimsofthedawg said:
saucecode said:
So I was on skype, and a friend and I were wondering how well my country, New Zealand, is known around the world? Its really hard to tell. For all I know, noone in the world knows what New Zealand is.

Also, if you are wondering the same about your own country, i encourage you post here for us to comment on.

So, what comes to mind, or have ya'll never heard of nz!
Off and on... some random things about random people in random places around nz because I've met some randomosities (YES IT'S A WORD!!! -.- ) in my day either through Battlefield (apparently a popular game down there) or because I know someone who knows someone.

New Zealanders think American money is weird and awkward to use (what the fuck kind of money do you use then? just coins? just credit cards? HOW DO YOU LIVE ?!)
That Google Chrome doesn't consider "Zealand" a word... well apparently anyways, as everytime I type it there's a red squiggly line under it.
that ya'll must have really small houses because EVERY FUCKING TIME I PLAY WITH ONE OF YA'LL THERE'S SO MUCH NOISE IN THE BACK GROUND!
That ya'll are very peaceful. One of the Playstation Network buddies was telling us Americans in our clan that there was this big celebration in some big city square that in NZ. Apparently, there were enough cops and "facilities" for around 300,000 people but ONE MILLION people showed up. It was totally, TOTALLY peaceful and apparently like a gargantuan party with a bunch of friends - no crime reported whatsoever. Us Americans agreed that if that had happened ANYWHERE in America, it would have turned into a riot.
That ya'll are very homely - and by that there's nothing particularly extravagant about you. This is a good and bad thing, as the good thing is there's nothing infamous attached to your name. But the bad part about it is that there's nothing particularly extraordinary either.
Rugby.

GOOD GOD RUGBY!

Oh, and when I explain to some New Zealanders that my girlfriends Canadian and I'm American, and that it's a 12 hour drive to her house, they're flabergasted. Not by the long distance relationship, but by the fact you could actually take 12 hours to drive somewhere! I guess in most places that would put you in the middle of an ocean should you try

That's all I can think of now...

OH and giant penis' in the ground... http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/865692-student-penis-art-captured-by-google-earth
A) Oh my god, so much stereotyping. We have our fair share of arseholes. Trust me, I'm one of them.
B) Your money is awkward, cause you have lots of coins not actually worth having (I've been to your country, and there are machine for grinding up fucking pennies and making little pictures on them. Seriously, wtf?) and you call you numerical value coins things like "nickle." We call em goddamned coins. We only have sensible coins, and get rid of the smaller ones as they become obsolete. We have 10c 20c 50c $1 $2 coins. Much easier than having sheafs of one dollar bills, which I ended up with in America. Our notes are 5, 10, 20, 50, 100. No-one uses anything larger than that cause carrying that much cash around is dumb. Also, our notes have colours, and are sized slightly differently, so they are immediately obvious what they are. Unlike the greenness of US notes.
C)And yeah, a 12 hours drive would probably get you from the top of the North Island (we're pretty smart with our name system, considering there is also South Island, and then a really small island, which is directly south of that (and no-one gives a flying fuck about the Chatham islands)) to the bottom of the North Island, just in time for the ferry.

Insanity72

Feb 14, 2011
I live in Australia, how could i not know of you :D

Plus i love LOTR, again, how could i not know of you :D