You import an ME2 save to ME3... where sheppard didn't survive

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
One thing comes to mind when you were perfectly able to import a save from the first to second game, but not from the second to third...

Incredibly. Piss. Poor. Writing.

The first ME was damn good in my view. I watched my brother play most of the second and it wasn't as good as the first was. The same old @#$%@%* formula happens with these game companies when this shit happens.

"Oh, one of our titles was a success!"

"Well, let's make more money by hastily making a sequel so that we can make MOAR MONEYZ!"

"I think this might be something we'd want to handle caref-"

"GET TO MAKING THE DAMNED SEQUEL NOW!!!!!"

"Yes sir..."

*scurries away*
its a trilogy has been since day one so me3 coming out wasn't anything new. it would have been stupid if they didn't make it scratch that it'd would have been fucking retarded

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
What should happen? The thing that should have happened in ME2.

- Oh, no! Shepard's dead! Quickly, let's bring him/her back to life.
- Wait. Won't that take a lot of time and cost us ridiculous amounts of money?
- Well, er, yes.
- So why don't we use those resources to build weapons and warships, and gather armies against the Reapers instead?
- Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?

More realistically, if Shepard dies, s/he doesn't do whatever s/he does in Arrival, so the Reapers come early and kill everyone.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
DragonLord Seth said:
gigastar said:
Either your dick/Sheperd will be revived again. Or you wont be able to use that file for ME3. Or you get a joke achievment.

Any one of them is possible
I never played either ME games, but I always thought that Shepard being revived was kinda stupid. So reviving him again? Hell, why not just train up an unstoppable army of WH40K Space Marines crossed with SPARTANs, and then let them have at it. Every time one dies, just revive him! While re-reviving Shepard would be canonically possible, it brings up the whole issue that Yahtzee talked about in his EP after he played Kirby. Where if the enemies realize that you literally cannot be stopped, why wouldn't they just stop? Like in Section 8, where when you die you immediently can burn back in wherever you want, turning most of the strategy into "run in with machine gun and shoot anything that's red".
Spartans ARE WH40K space marines bungie just pretends they aren't. Shepard was rebuilt piece by piece using the entire budget of pretty wealthy country in one of the most high-tech med labs in the galaxy by the best scientists money could buy over a period of two years. Compare that to the Master Chief who survived uncontrolled re-entry and unslowed planetfall with zero ill-effects.

OT: Nothing should happen because;

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
tony2077 said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
One thing comes to mind when you were perfectly able to import a save from the first to second game, but not from the second to third...

The first ME was damn good in my view. I watched my brother play most of the second and it wasn't as good as the first was. The same old @#$%@%* formula happens with these game companies when this shit happens.

"Well, let's make more money by hastily making a sequel so that we can make MOAR MONEYZ!"

"Yes sir..."

*scurries away*
its a trilogy has been since day one so me3 coming out wasn't anything new. it would have been stupid if they didn't make it scratch that it'd would have been fucking retarded
True, but they could've taken their time with it and made it a hell of a lot better than what it came out to be. The same can be said for Dragon Age.

SteewpidZombie

Dec 31, 2010
Jeez, another game where we play as Shepard...yay?

Plus the line-up of teammates looks pretty crappy in my own opinion. They don't appear to have any new squadmates of yet, and the old ones are all just getting annoying.

I personally wish they'd just let Shepard die or bugger off somewhere else with his crew, and then let us move onto a new character with new allies to team up with. Maybe it'd be more fun playing a Earth soldier who is trying to lead a rebellion of scarce forces against the invaders, or a civilian shot down in the atmosphere while trying to escape and having to take up arms to become a unlikely hero, I DUNNO! just something new would be good.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Undiluted opinion
I preferred ME2 over ME, but I'll admit the story was better in the first.

Also, The Illusive Man revived Shepard to help save humanity, but as it was told that
the IM wants Shepard dead in ME3
, who's gonna pay for John's repair bill in the next game?

DevilWolf47

Nov 29, 2010
I know this thread is a joke, but i still think you should be allowed to import a dead Shepard. Just import the weapons and stats Shepard had earlier but make the outcome of the suicide mission the in-game default. Or why not have a brief joke mode where you play as Joker and break your foot on the Illusive Man's head?

Vern5

Mar 3, 2011
Guess you're going to end up playing as Commander Peshard, Shepard's surprisingly identical adopted brother/sister.

Laser Priest

A Magpie Among Crows
Mar 24, 2011
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:
You can't transfer. Bioware said that you'll just have to make a new file.
That's..... incredibly stupid.
Or... You know... Complete the last game without getting yourself killed.

I think attempting to import a dead Shepard should lead to this on an infinite loop:

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/566956

Only sung by the Reapers.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
tony2077 said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

"Yes sir..."

*scurries away*
True, but they could've taken their time with it and made it a hell of a lot better than what it came out to be. The same can be said for Dragon Age.
is this about me2 and 3 or about da2 hm?

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
I hope to god it's about ten hours of Miranda being beaten around the head with a frozen leg of lamb. Now thats a game i'd pay for!

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Seives-Sliver said:
I am tired of file transfering, why can't they do something simple where the gamer tells the game what happened, it worked well in KOTOR2, why not try it again instead of me having to work myself to death to make sure I have all my bases covered for the next game?
Actually, I think ME3 will give you the same option that ME2 on Playstation did, meaning you will be able to tell the game what happened in the previous game. I might be wrong, though.

CrazyCapnMorgan said:

It's hard to write a game trilogy where the main character may or may not die by the end of part 2. Even before ME2 came out they said that yes, it will be possible for Shepard to die, but ME is about Shepard, so that won't be the canon ending (just a special feature to tell the player how much they've failed, I guess).

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
freaper said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Undiluted opinion
I preferred ME2 over ME, but I'll admit the story was better in the first.

Also, The Illusive Man revived Shepard to help save humanity, but as it was told that
the IM wants Shepard dead in ME3
, who's gonna pay for John's repair bill in the next game?
It just seems hastily made when compared to the first and, though I'm comparing only the second to first, I cannot make an absolute judgment until after the third is released.

tony2077 said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
tony2077 said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

"Yes sir..."

*scurries away*
is this about me2 and 3 or about da2 hm?
Both, as ME and DA were made by Bioware and pretty much the exact same writing formula appears to be happening, with plot holes and event irregularities abound.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
CrazyCapnMorgan said:

"Yes sir..."

*scurries away*
They told the world before anyone even played ME2 "If you let Shepard die, you wont be continuing that characters story in the third game".

If he died on you in that game, your journey has ended and you can assume the Reapers will win. Perhaps they will do a "what if?" scenario.

It would be worse if they let you import him and "oh he's alive again, lets just rehash the intro to ME2!"

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:
You can't transfer. Bioware said that you'll just have to make a new file.
That's..... incredibly stupid.
No its not. What's the point in choices if nothing sticks? Especially if that choice leads to the death of the main character no less. You have to be the world's laziest player to kill him off anyway.

They said before ME2 was released, so its not like people haven't had enough time to try it with him alive.

That's what I just said. What is the point of having such major choices if they just force you to go with their cannon, especially when you making your own cannon has been a big selling point of Bioware games, or at least the Mass Effect series.
Oh right, you were going the whole "write an entirely new character" route. The point is that Mass Effect is Shepard's story, if he dies then that is the end of that Shepard's story.

Seives-Sliver said:
I am tired of file transfering, why can't they do something simple where the gamer tells the game what happened, it worked well in KOTOR2, why not try it again instead of me having to work myself to death to make sure I have all my bases covered for the next game?
Because KotOR 2 had about 3 background points to match up (did Carth die, was Revan good or bad, was Revan a male or female). Mass Effect 2 had 700 variations to import from Mass Effect, and Mass Effect 3 will take into account the decisions of both games.

I can't actually believe you're arguing they should make things simpler. You don't need a perfect save - aiming for one rather defeats the point of the choices and consequences anyway.

CrazyCapnMorgan said:

"Yes sir..."

*scurries away*
You must have a considerable amount of time on your hands to have watched your brother play "most" of a 40 hour game.

There is only one instance in which you can't import your save into Mass Effect 3, and that instance is not a possibility in Mass Effect 1. The entire point of allowing him to die in the very worst case scenario is to give you the consequences of your (lack of) actions.