You import an ME2 save to ME3... where sheppard didn't survive

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The series would become what it always should have been: Garrus Effect.
Of course. Garrus probably could have done it all in one game >.>

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Jesus Phish said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
One thing comes to mind when you were perfectly able to import a save from the first to second game, but not from the second to third...

Incredibly. Piss. Poor. Writing.

The first ME was damn good in my view. I watched my brother play most of the second and it wasn't as good as the first was. The same old @#$%@%* formula happens with these game companies when this shit happens.

"Oh, one of our titles was a success!"

"Well, let's make more money by hastily making a sequel so that we can make MOAR MONEYZ!"

"I think this might be something we'd want to handle caref-"

"GET TO MAKING THE DAMNED SEQUEL NOW!!!!!"

"Yes sir..."

*scurries away*
They told the world before anyone even played ME2 "If you let Shepard die, you wont be continuing that characters story in the third game".

If he died on you in that game, your journey has ended and you can assume the Reapers will win. Perhaps they will do a "what if?" scenario.

It would be worse if they let you import him and "oh he's alive again, lets just rehash the intro to ME2!"
Agreed on both counts, but it just seems to be it's a lazy way of doing story telling, IMO. Kind of like a bad MARVEL comic where someone dies and comes back to life and just goes through that yo-yo motion over and over again. I don't mind a game trying to be like one of those books where "if you make this choice, go to this page" and have multiple outcomes. But games before ME did it so much better, though - it just seems mind-boggling to me that someone would take this route instead of looking at what's been done right and improve upon, or at least learn from, that. I know Star Ocean might be a bad choice to try and make a comparison to, but at least that game had multiple outcomes that didn't break continuity or immersion as badly as ME2 did. If you could get immersed into it, that is...

Ultraman950

Oct 17, 2010
DragonLord Seth said:
I never played either ME games, but I always thought that Shepard being revived was kinda stupid. So reviving him again? Hell, why not just train up an unstoppable army of WH40K Space Marines crossed with SPARTANs, and then let them have at it. Every time one dies, just revive him! While re-reviving Shepard would be canonically possible, it brings up the whole issue that Yahtzee talked about in his EP after he played Kirby. Where if the enemies realize that you literally cannot be stopped, why wouldn't they just stop? Like in Section 8, where when you die you immediently can burn back in wherever you want, turning most of the strategy into "run in with machine gun and shoot anything that's red".
I'd politely suggest playing the games before jumping to conclusions. The BioWare writers know what they're doing.

The second game made damn sure to tell the player that the project that brought Shep back (Lazarus Project, if you care) cost several billion credits and took two years to bring back Shepard alone, and then only with TIM's contacts and access to hard-to-obtain technology.
Also, they probably couldn't find Shep's body the second time, considering it's in the galactic core, which is surrounded by black holes and debris, and the Normandy is the only non-Collector ship that can correctly navigate the only relay that can get them there, and the Normandy isn't an aircraft carrier that can deploy searchers to bring it back, since Shepard falls to his/her death into a long, dark crevice, so his/her crew can't bring it back themselves. Also, all the badass crew members that Shep brought are dead as part of the requirement for Shep to die, and Joker's wounded, AND the Collecter base is about to blow up, so he has to leave IMMEDIATELY. There is no hope if Shepard dies again.

ME's bad guys are also TITANICALLY genre blind. Otherwise, these games would be WAY too easy. =p

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:
You can't transfer. Bioware said that you'll just have to make a new file.
That's..... incredibly stupid.
No its not. What's the point in choices if nothing sticks? Especially if that choice leads to the death of the main character no less. You have to be the world's laziest player to kill him off anyway.

They said before ME2 was released, so its not like people haven't had enough time to try it with him alive.

That's what I just said. What is the point of having such major choices if they just force you to go with their cannon, especially when you making your own cannon has been a big selling point of Bioware games, or at least the Mass Effect series.
Oh right, you were going the whole "write an entirely new character" route. The point is that Mass Effect is Shepard's story, if he dies then that is the end of that Shepard's story.
I just find it silly that one of the choices you can make leads to the consequences of " well, to bad, can't play the third game with your story now, go start another game that follows our cannon. "

Also, if you're wondering, I haven't beaten ME2 as I can't read the freaking text because I have a shitty SD television, and Bioware decided to make the text extremely small.
That's because the consequence of your choice is that the universe is fucked. No Shepard = no hope. They mention that numerous times.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
ShockValue said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Of course. Garrus probably could have done it all in one game >.>
I find controlling Garrus and implementing the dialogue wheel with him would be infinitely more enjoyable. You could earn "awesome" or "amazing" points and could just punch Reapers in the face. All while whooing all the ladies.

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
Nothing happens.

A galaxy where Shepard dies, is a galaxy that is royally fucked.
Well stated.
I cant stop thinking about all the different decisions and how they may effect ME3

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:
No its not. What's the point in choices if nothing sticks? Especially if that choice leads to the death of the main character no less. You have to be the world's laziest player to kill him off anyway.

They said before ME2 was released, so its not like people haven't had enough time to try it with him alive.

That's what I just said. What is the point of having such major choices if they just force you to go with their cannon, especially when you making your own cannon has been a big selling point of Bioware games, or at least the Mass Effect series.
Oh right, you were going the whole "write an entirely new character" route. The point is that Mass Effect is Shepard's story, if he dies then that is the end of that Shepard's story.
I just find it silly that one of the choices you can make leads to the consequences of " well, to bad, can't play the third game with your story now, go start another game that follows our cannon. "

Also, if you're wondering, I haven't beaten ME2 as I can't read the freaking text because I have a shitty SD television, and Bioware decided to make the text extremely small.
That's because the consequence of your choice is that the universe is fucked. No Shepard = no hope. They mention that numerous times.
I suppose that's true, but then why would they even have that option at all, if it means nothing
its a game so why not have fun and add a bad ending where Shepard dies

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:

I suppose that's true, but then why would they even have that option at all, if it means absolutely nothing .
It does mean something. It means you didn't prepare. It means you didn't take the whole "suicide mission" warnings seriously. It means you've made choices, and you're feeling the consequences.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:

I suppose that's true, but then why would they even have that option at all, if it means absolutely nothing .
It does mean something. It means you didn't prepare. It means you didn't take the whole "suicide mission" warnings seriously. It means you've made choices, and you're feeling the consequences.
The consequences being to restart your entire game and having none of the choices you made with that Shepard having any effect whatsoever? That seems a little unfair.
I wasn`t even aware that sheppard could die in ME2, if you managed to kill him then kudos to you and its your own fault. Deal with it! Also there are save editors if you really don`t want to replay the game and you want your choices to stick.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:

The consequences being to restart your entire game and having none of the choices you made with that Shepard having any effect whatsoever? That seems a little unfair.
Well then don't be shit at the game. It is the WORST ending you can get - it takes more effort to get it then it takes laziness I would imagine.

Its really not that difficult a concept: if Shepard dies, Mass Effect 3 does not exist. We go on and on about wanting choices to matter in RPGs, and they take it all the way and now you're complaining?

I wanted Mordin to survive, but he didn't because I obviously didn't send him off with the right team in the final mission. I wanted to carry Wrex over in Mass Effect, but I didn't talk him down in time and he was shot. That's the point of the games.

I'm sure you could reload to a previous point before the final mission, keep your choices, and then actually play the other parts of the game and not die.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I just want to let you know that your title makes me want to find you and give you a long lecture about spoiler alerts. Because guess what you just spoiled.

Cpu46

Gloria ex machina
Sep 21, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I don't know if it says more about the game or myself but when I read that I suddenly envisioned Garrus trying to romance the female members of the crew. Some chuckles were were had.

OT:
Realistically:
We see a cutscene of the burning earth as soft melodic music plays. The shot pans out and reveals a massive ship graveyard eventually showing the destroyed Normandy. Then the screen fades to black and some quote pops up on screen that motivates you into beating ME2.

Humorously:

Joker saves everyone while Mordin sings in the background.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Snotnarok said:
I just want to let you know that your title makes me want to find you and give you a long lecture about spoiler alerts. Because guess what you just spoiled.
In his defence, the developers went over and over it before the game was released to emphasise that your choices stick. Knowing he can die is at least not the same as knowing how/why, or the only end result. And it is described as a suicide mission throughout the entire game.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
Snotnarok said:
Nothing is the answer. Or is that more of a spoiler than the perceived spoiler?

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
After what they did to dead characters in Dragon Age 2 it seems pretty funny that they would treat dead characters in Mass Effect like this.