Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
THEY ARE MAKING THEIR OWN CANON. THE CANON IS THAT MASS EFFECT 3 DOES NOT EXIST.

And no, but Wrex not being there certainly blocked off options to me. Go back a fucking hour and load a save, and run through all the stuff you need to do to not get that ending. Problem solved.

Like I said, you have to actively try to get that ending. Stop being so obnoxious and comment on it when you've finished the game. I've yet to actually encounter someone who got it without aiming for it.

Snotnarok said:
Woodsey said:
Snotnarok said:
I just want to let you know that your title makes me want to find you and give you a long lecture about spoiler alerts. Because guess what you just spoiled.
In his defence, the developers went over and over it before the game was released to emphasise that your choices stick. Knowing he can die is at least not the same as knowing how/why, or the only end result. And it is described as a suicide mission throughout the entire game.
So someone who doesn't read up on that should be aware right? It's easy to NOT put this sort of thing in the title, easily put in a spoiler. I'm aware I'm probably the last person to beat the bloody game but you don't for the love of god put the ending in the title in a forum.
Believe me, you won't get that ending anyway.
ISN'T IT SLIGHTLY MORE OBNOXIOUS USING ALL CAPS AND BEING RUDE, WHEN IT'S JUST A DIFFERING OPINION?
Nope. I've solved the issue for you pretty much, informed you of just how much effort it takes to get the ending, you knew it was possible to get the ending way in advance, you demand player choice, and then demand the consequences of the choice are simply removed, in spite of how difficult they are to achieve anyway.

Unless you run through the game and do nothing but the very bare minimum, you won't get the ending - you are told time and time again that you need to prepare, and that it is a suicide mission. They are not altering your canon by making a next game, they are furthering the canon of those whose canon hasn't ended yet.

Don't play the bloody thing if its that much of an issue.
It's only a choice for someone if they're not going to be playing ME3. If you want to play ME3 with your own character, then you have to get shepard to live. Not too much choice there, so why put it in at all?
I dunno, maybe they had this strange desire to make a game where something you did or did not do fucking mattered. The ability to actually fail, where your victory was not completely predetermined.

Forgive me for believing we all fucking wanted choice and consequence in our RPGs - evidently what we all really want is to know that we can't fail.

The only time Shepard dying is not a choice is if you're a complete moron, or you have an incredibly small interest in the game.

If you want to play ME 3 with your character then you need to actually fucking prepare so that they'll live - it adds threat. I cannot believe this concept is so very fucking difficult to get across.

What you are saying is you'd much rather the game just guaranteed your success. I suppose all the side characters should be guaranteed the chance to live as well, because we wouldn't to stop anyone from using their favourites in ME3 now, would we?

Avaloner said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Did not saving those two people have an impact on whether or not you were/are able to have that Shepard play the next installment of the game? No? Didn't think so. Why advertise making your own cannon, then force a player to go with specific cannon if options they chose weren't the " right " ones. All I'm saying is putting something like that in is silly. It shouldn't have been put in at all.
Seriously, first you complain that there is no choice and all is one cannon, than Bioware makes this huge complex system, where certain decisions, quests and romantic affairs are carried over into a new game, which again has a huge world and I can think of some stuff already, probably some of those loyal missions will have an effect on the third game and than you still complain that the game is realistic enough to give you a shitty ending?

What is wrong with you?

Either you go on and make a game linear or you create this ~epic~ with a massive universe, where every little choice can have a huge impact, you can't have both and later complain that you suck at the game and you lost the mission, just deal with it, its hinted in the game, there are freaking 3 achievements for the suicide mission alone and the game constantly reminds you to talk to your crew members, because they tell you that their upgrades are needed to live trough the collectors attack, if you ignore all this and loose, than you very well deserve to be death.

If you play super mario and never jump on enemys or never collect any upgrade and Bowser stomps you into a little italian pulp, than you don't get to complain that the game is over.

Lets not forget that there is basically no one who could replace Shepard, he stopped the reapers twice now, has all the knowledge of the protheans, even if they turned now and knows as much about the reapers as no one else, you can't just replace that guy with random spacesoldier #18835
Don't bother trying to debate it with him.

Unless you have no interest in playing ME3, then it does . Haven't you said yourself that you have to try to get it? So, by your own words, unless you're a " complete moron " then your success is guaranteed.
Ah, so now you're arguing they didn't push the death ending enough!

The hypocrisy continues.
No I'm not? Seriously, what the hell?
I'm twisting your words. Considering how nonsensical the rest of your argument has been, it doesn't make much difference.

You want choices and consequence, and, as the other guy pointed out, BioWare create a complex system to do just that only THEN you complain because there's somehow "too much". I point out you can only get the death if you try for it or you have little interest in playing the game (that's the roleplaying - don't give a shit and you get the don't give a shit ending), and yet because it requires the absolute minimum effort of not playing the game to get it, you argue that it shouldn't be in there at all.

Why?

Because then the people who evidently have no interest in playing the game won't get to play the sequel. What?!

If you want to carry your character over, you take notice of all the warnings and ASSUMING YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING, anything at all, Shepard survives.

Naepa34

Dec 10, 2010
You play as joker flying the Normandy, and all of ME3 becomes a piloting game like ace combat.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Chappy said:
You play as Blasto the first Hanar Spectre.
I love you. Illium always has the best advertisements.

OT:

1. Make new character
2. Get prosecuted for some reason
3. ???
4. PROFIT!!

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
THEY ARE MAKING THEIR OWN CANON. THE CANON IS THAT MASS EFFECT 3 DOES NOT EXIST.

And no, but Wrex not being there certainly blocked off options to me. Go back a fucking hour and load a save, and run through all the stuff you need to do to not get that ending. Problem solved.

Like I said, you have to actively try to get that ending. Stop being so obnoxious and comment on it when you've finished the game. I've yet to actually encounter someone who got it without aiming for it.

Snotnarok said:
Woodsey said:
Snotnarok said:
I just want to let you know that your title makes me want to find you and give you a long lecture about spoiler alerts. Because guess what you just spoiled.
In his defence, the developers went over and over it before the game was released to emphasise that your choices stick. Knowing he can die is at least not the same as knowing how/why, or the only end result. And it is described as a suicide mission throughout the entire game.
So someone who doesn't read up on that should be aware right? It's easy to NOT put this sort of thing in the title, easily put in a spoiler. I'm aware I'm probably the last person to beat the bloody game but you don't for the love of god put the ending in the title in a forum.
ISN'T IT SLIGHTLY MORE OBNOXIOUS USING ALL CAPS AND BEING RUDE, WHEN IT'S JUST A DIFFERING OPINION?
Nope. I've solved the issue for you pretty much, informed you of just how much effort it takes to get the ending, you knew it was possible to get the ending way in advance, you demand player choice, and then demand the consequences of the choice are simply removed, in spite of how difficult they are to achieve anyway.

Unless you run through the game and do nothing but the very bare minimum, you won't get the ending - you are told time and time again that you need to prepare, and that it is a suicide mission. They are not altering your canon by making a next game, they are furthering the canon of those whose canon hasn't ended yet.

It's only a choice for someone if they're not going to be playing ME3. If you want to play ME3 with your own character, then you have to get shepard to live. Not too much choice there, so why put it in at all?
I dunno, maybe they had this strange desire to make a game where something you did or did not do fucking mattered. The ability to actually fail, where your victory was not completely predetermined.

Forgive me for believing we all fucking wanted choice and consequence in our RPGs - evidently what we all really want is to know that we can't fail.

The only time Shepard dying is not a choice is if you're a complete moron, or you have an incredibly small interest in the game.

If you want to play ME 3 with your character then you need to actually fucking prepare so that they'll live - it adds threat. I cannot believe this concept is so very fucking difficult to get across.

What you are saying is you'd much rather the game just guaranteed your success. I suppose all the side characters should be guaranteed the chance to live as well, because we wouldn't to stop anyone from using their favourites in ME3 now, would we?

Avaloner said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Did not saving those two people have an impact on whether or not you were/are able to have that Shepard play the next installment of the game? No? Didn't think so. Why advertise making your own cannon, then force a player to go with specific cannon if options they chose weren't the " right " ones. All I'm saying is putting something like that in is silly. It shouldn't have been put in at all.
Seriously, first you complain that there is no choice and all is one cannon, than Bioware makes this huge complex system, where certain decisions, quests and romantic affairs are carried over into a new game, which again has a huge world and I can think of some stuff already, probably some of those loyal missions will have an effect on the third game and than you still complain that the game is realistic enough to give you a shitty ending?

What is wrong with you?

Either you go on and make a game linear or you create this ~epic~ with a massive universe, where every little choice can have a huge impact, you can't have both and later complain that you suck at the game and you lost the mission, just deal with it, its hinted in the game, there are freaking 3 achievements for the suicide mission alone and the game constantly reminds you to talk to your crew members, because they tell you that their upgrades are needed to live trough the collectors attack, if you ignore all this and loose, than you very well deserve to be death.

If you play super mario and never jump on enemys or never collect any upgrade and Bowser stomps you into a little italian pulp, than you don't get to complain that the game is over.

Lets not forget that there is basically no one who could replace Shepard, he stopped the reapers twice now, has all the knowledge of the protheans, even if they turned now and knows as much about the reapers as no one else, you can't just replace that guy with random spacesoldier #18835

Unless you have no interest in playing ME3, then it does . Haven't you said yourself that you have to try to get it? So, by your own words, unless you're a " complete moron " then your success is guaranteed.

The hypocrisy continues.
I'm twisting your words. Considering how nonsensical the rest of your argument has been, it doesn't make much difference.

You want choices and consequence, and, as the other guy pointed out, BioWare create a complex system to do just that only THEN you complain because there's somehow "too much". I point out you can only get the death if you try for it or you have little interest in playing the game (that's the roleplaying - don't give a shit and you get the don't give a shit ending), and yet because it requires the absolute minimum effort of not playing the game to get it, you argue that it shouldn't be in there at all.

Why?

Because then the people who evidently have no interest in playing the game won't get to play the sequel. What?!

If you want to carry your character over, you take notice of all the warnings and ASSUMING YOU HAVE DONE SOMETHING, anything at all, Shepard survives.

As I said before ( although you may have missed it ) I suck at articulating myself. Like, really, really badly.

I'm saying, why have it in at all when it's completely pointless? You can't have that character in ME3, so this would only be an option to those who don't want to play ME3, and if they don't want to play ME3, then I doubt that they care whether or not the story has a resolution. I said that a few posts ago, but I edited it in, so I don't think you saw it.

It's just a waste of time and effort.
Because some people still like to play to that end, and, even if people don't experience it, the knowledge that it can happen adds an extra dimension to the game.

Hashime

Jan 13, 2010
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:
You can't transfer. Bioware said that you'll just have to make a new file.
That's..... incredibly stupid. Why advertise making your own cannon, then force a player to go with specific cannon if options they chose weren't the " right " ones. Putting something like that in is silly. It shouldn't have been put in at all.
Well, in your version of the ME universe it does not continue as the protagonist is dead. So in your cannon a third game is not possible.

Ein987

Jan 15, 2011
Shepard stayed behind to get a nuclear tan. He's really okay, I hope you guys know.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:
That's..... incredibly stupid.
No its not. What's the point in choices if nothing sticks? Especially if that choice leads to the death of the main character no less. You have to be the world's laziest player to kill him off anyway.

They said before ME2 was released, so its not like people haven't had enough time to try it with him alive.

That's what I just said. What is the point of having such major choices if they just force you to go with their cannon, especially when you making your own cannon has been a big selling point of Bioware games, or at least the Mass Effect series.
Bioware has said countless times that the Mass Effect trilogy is SHEPARD'S story. If he dies then there's nothing to add in his story. What would they do anyway? The only reason they revived Shepard last time is because they had a body. In the bad ending Shepard's body is lost in the base/destroyed. There's no way to bring him back and they said the choices in Mass Effect 2 would have consequences. The ending where Shepard dies is permanent they said this multiple times last year. Also it's really hard to have Shepard die if he dies in your file it should come as no surprise as you probably went into the mission knowing Shepard would die because you weren't prepared enough.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:
That's..... incredibly stupid. Why advertise making your own cannon, then force a player to go with specific cannon if options they chose weren't the " right " ones. Putting something like that in is silly. It shouldn't have been put in at all.
How are they supposed to continue the story about Commander Shepard when you killed off Commander Shepard (for real this time). Yes, they gave you the option to have your own canon, and if you chose to kill Shepard than that's your canon. The story ends there. In fact, if they did continue on by bringing him back to life (again) then wouldn't that just be pissing all over the story you had already established?

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The series would become what it always should have been: Garrus Effect.
I would totally play that.
OP: If you could play with Sheppard dead, I would assume you played as any remaining charcters from the Normandy crew in a last stand against the Reapers.

IronicBeet

Jun 27, 2009
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Grayjack said:
That's..... incredibly stupid.
No its not. What's the point in choices if nothing sticks? Especially if that choice leads to the death of the main character no less. You have to be the world's laziest player to kill him off anyway.

They said before ME2 was released, so its not like people haven't had enough time to try it with him alive.

That's what I just said. What is the point of having such major choices if they just force you to go with their cannon, especially when you making your own cannon has been a big selling point of Bioware games, or at least the Mass Effect series.
You do make your own canon, that canon involves the story ending when Shepard dies during the suicide mission.

Nylis

May 5, 2010
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:
Arontala said:

Snotnarok said:
Woodsey said:
Snotnarok said:

Avaloner said:
Arontala said:
Woodsey said:

What is wrong with you?

The hypocrisy continues.

Why?

As I said before ( although you may have missed it ) I suck at articulating myself. Like, really, really badly.

I'm saying, why have it in at all when it's completely pointless? You can't have that character in ME3, so this would only be an option to those who don't want to play ME3, and if they don't want to play ME3, then I doubt that they care whether or not the story has a resolution. I said that a few posts ago, but I edited it in, so I don't think you saw it.

It's just a waste of time and effort.
Because some people still like to play to that end, and, even if people don't experience it, the knowledge that it can happen adds an extra dimension to the game.
*shrug* I suppose. It just seems a little odd to me. Can we leave it at that? This whole thing is getting quite..... repetitive.
I think I understand what you are trying to say. The death ending is hard to get by accident as others have already told you, and getting that ending has zero impact on the next game. I personally see it as a sort of easter egg. Easter eggs in games are put there just because it would be cool to see or whatever, kind of extra feature for the player. I know lots of people who completed the game the way they wanted, then went for the Shepard dies ending just to see it.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Chappy said:
You play as Blasto the first Hanar Spectre.
After the main trilogy is over, they will certainly make more games set in the Mass Effect universe. When they do, a "Blasto: The Jellyfish Stings" game must be at the top of the list.

"This one is weary of your solid waste excretions."

"This one has forgotten if its heat sink is over capacity. It wonders if the criminal scum considers itself fortunate."

Please, god, let me play as a character that can deliver those one-liners.

Et3rnalLegend64

Jan 9, 2009
Seives-Sliver said:
I am tired of file transfering, why can't they do something simple where the gamer tells the game what happened, it worked well in KOTOR2, why not try it again instead of me having to work myself to death to make sure I have all my bases covered for the next game?
Do you have any idea how many variables there are in any given playthrough? You'll have every other person you meet asking you questions just to determine who you killed, who you saved, and who you held at gunpoint for the lulz. No, just no.

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
The series would become what it always should have been: Garrus Effect.
No no no! That sounds awful! It's not called Shepard Effect. While I would certainly enjoy playing as another character in battle (a la Dragon Age), I am not one of those people who hate Shepard. I've grown quite fond of him actually.

Now, my Shepard and all 12 of my crew members survived (I looked up a walkthrough on how to do so, I just couldn't let anyone die!), so I'll have no problem moving to ME3.

How extremely lazy and uninterested should a person be to kill off Shepard? As long as 2 crew members remain alive, he/she survives. If people rushed through the game like that, then it means they didn't like it and chances are they wouldn't play Mass Effect 3 in the first place. So I guess there won't be any problem with Bioware disposing of the "Shepard died (again!) plot line.

Also: 2 millenniums worth of comments :D

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Um, you're dead. As far as I know, there's no going back from tha....

nevermind...
Although if you die in the suicide mission, the game doesn't officially end and you cant import. I'm pretty sure the import system will be like 1 where you can only import finished games.