You know what I hate? Misanthropes.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Okay, seriously, when did we as a community collectively become so emo?
I swear we've had more topics in the last month about teenagers, and especially teenage relationships, pretty much existing so that people can go on and feel smug and superior while belittling them.
This is bullshit.

There is a subtle difference between a stupid idea (a girl getting pregnant at 14 on purpose / as a result of alcohol) and unfortunate circumstances (a girl getting pregnant at 14 because her boyfriend was a prick who didn't use contraception). It really angers me when people fail and at times even refuse to make this distinction.

There was one particular thread on "young love" that especially annoyed me (can't remember the name though), because half of it was filled with people moaning about unrequited crushes and much of the other half with people saying that it was pointless because it never worked out and wishing people would stop. By far the worst one though is that people assume it only happens to stupid people who can't control their feelings. (I'm paraphrasing but sense this is not an uncommon viewpoint)

I've spent this weekend trying to comfort a female friend of mine who split up from her boyfriend of two years or so. Now, maybe it's because she hasn't gone through it before, and maybe it's because her body isn't able to deal with all the hormones and issues of a break-up, but that doesn't make it any less real and it certainly doesn't mean she can just stop feeling it. People at a young age need to experience things like this, and as they do so they'll need support, which is why it needs offering.
More to the point, this girl is 17 next month and got A*s in most of her GCSEs. She is not stupid and to assume that youngsters in love are is childish. She is just dealing with something unknown that carries with it, as Cracked.com are frequent to relate, withdrawal symptoms similar to those of cocaine.

TL; dr: PLEASE can we just cheer the fuck up as a community? I know we tend to attract the nerdy types with all the nerd stereotypes attached but it's been really bad recently.

Oh, and for discussion value, um... Misanthropy, good or bad?

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
As an answer: I'm going to my girlfriend tomorrow morning and we're gonna bake chocolate fudge brownies, then two more girls are gonna come over and we'll have a Disney Marathon into the night!

Sadly the other girls won't be able to spend the night(one is busy, the other has head-lice atm) so it's just me and my girlfriend.
Tough luck huh ^^

Rockus

Jun 7, 2010
Ummm . . . misanthropy. I'm not a huge people person I guess, especially those pregnant teenagers?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Yeah, I have to agree, this is a really down community, if it's not people talking about how much the human race is scum then they're talking about how they are doomed to live in solitude because, *gasp* they haven't had a girlfriend by age 20! or something.

So, misanthropy sucks.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
Yeah, I hate misanthropy so much. People just seem to ignore all of the briliant things humans do and only focus on the negative things.

We are the most technologically advanced species in the entire known universe. How could you not be amazed and impressed by that?

Any time I'm feeling even slightly depressed or down I just listen to:

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Uh... do you even know what Misanthropy means? Because, ironically, you're the most misanthropic person here. Oh, the irony. :D

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I've said it before and I'll say it again: this community is not full of misanthropes. It's full of a bunch of angsty high school and college students who became inspired by Yahtzee and THINK they are misanthropes, but who are actually a bunch of lonely guys who need a chill pill, a hug, and a good cry.

On that note, stretch kitteh. Feel the love.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
I think it's not so much that we're a bunch of whiners or what have you, it's just that the whiners are really outspoken about their whinyness.

But yes the recent surge in people coming out with the whole "Human race is doomed" or "No faith left in humanity" or "What's the point of relationships" lately as been kinda pissing me off too.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
Misanthropy is stupid. If you don't like humans so much then go live on another species' planet. Oh right.

However, only stupid people get pregnant or get a girl pregnant at 14. Because only stupid people have sex at 14. The feelings and hormones are certainly outside your control, being heartsick and depressed are quite normal. But how you act is entirely under your control.

If a person is unable to see that, despite how they are feeling, having sex is a terrible idea at that young an age then they are indeed quite stupid. If you have sex and are not prepared for the possibilities of pregnancy and STI's then you are being incredibly irresponsible (not because it's likely, if you take proper precautions it isn't likely, but because it's possible).

And accepting those kinds of risks (however small the risk is, even if it's only one in a thousand) at that young an age is indeed stupid.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
This is hardly new. The Escapist has always been like this for as long as I've known it, it's just that the community is bigger. For some unknown reason this place attracts that kind of person like flies around shit. We seem to have lost a lot of the 'I'm awesome everything else is absolute shit and I eat babies' act that a lot of people used to pull though, so there's a silver lining to every depressing cloud. The community has got better in some ways and worse in others. It's more welcoming, but it's also more pretentious than ever. I think flaming is down, but everyone seems to get way more offended when you disagree. And there seems to be a bizarre vendetta against using figures of speech (for example, 'am I the only one...')

Wait...

A gaming forum, filled with grumpy, lonely, introverted, hate filled teens?

Totally not fulfilling that stereotype guys.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
The example you gave only barely touches on the definition of misanthropy, which is that you hate the human race as a whole, not frat boys or people who get girls pregnant.
I'm not sure about other people, but I don't consider myself Emo. I do consider myself mildly misanthropic, but that's because of things like animal abuse, pollution, and every other awful thing humanity has done.

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
People are great! REally, as long as you don't act like a douche, people will like you. Heres a pro tip: BE A FUCKING NICE PERSON. There, now if every misanthrope acts like this, there will be no misanthropes.

uzo

Jul 5, 2011
.... Am I the only one who enjoys the irony in this thread?

It's like saying "You know what I hate? People who don't like stuff!"

Why don't you start a thread that deals with rainbows and cupcakes if it's depressing you too much?

retyopy

Aug 6, 2011
Lilani said:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: this community is not full of misanthropes. It's full of a bunch of angsty high school and college students who became inspired by Yahtzee and THINK they are misanthropes, but who are actually a bunch of lonely guys who need a chill pill, a hug, and a good cry.

On that note, stretch kitteh. Feel the love.

Oh. My. Spaghetti Monster. That is just...

Give me a moment to get over the adorabolisity...

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Nothing wrong with misanthropy, considering some of the bs that goes on in the world and can be attributed to humans.

OmniscientOstrich said:
Don't worry, we hate you too.
And by definition this is true...sums up the point very well.

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
uzo said:

Why don't you start a thread that deals with rainbows and cupcakes if it's depressing you too much?
I am now going to make a thread about rainbows and cupcakes. :3 (not joking)

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
uzo said:

I have just realised the irony.

You'd be surprised how much you miss when you're angry.

Hey, that's what the thread's about! Funny how things come full circle.