You know what I hate? Misanthropes.

Ionait

Aug 18, 2008
BakedAlaskan said:
retyopy said:
zelda2fanboy said:
I think the real issue at hand is misogyny. I'm not arguing that "gamers" or this community in particular are misogynistic, but society as a whole. It knows no boundaries, no race, and no religion. Do yourself a favor and seek out James Tiptree's short story "The Screwfly Solution" or the Masters of Horror television adaptation. It's chilling in its ongoing relevance. These threads don't seem to be about "dumb little hormonal boys," but rather "bitches, whores, sluts, nymphomaniacs, prudes" and whatever derogatory female stereotype one can come up with. It's all "her" fault because she's crazy and because she's female.

Did you get a little offended at my use of "boys" to describe male teenagers? Imagine being referred to as a "girl" 24/7 until you were 40.
I honestly see none of this.
Seconded massively. Its a shame some WOMEN feel the need to emasculate men/boys/lads/geezers/blokes/XY on this site whom they've never met. Wow, misogyny getting ANOTHER airing on this forum. Why doth you protest so much? You ARE in a minority in this case.
Ohmygosh this, thank you, thank you world. Why is it that almost every topic on this forum somehow offends women or "defenders of women" and causes female posters to become ultra-feminist? We could be talking about finding shapes in the clouds and SOMEONE will say "well, I'm a strong confident woman. I don't waste time looking at clouds, if you think I do because I am a female, well, I don't, because as I said, I am awesome and independent". Yes, that's great for you, but let's continue our conversation!

Sorry, extremely off topic.. Dear golly.. I just was reading through all of the posts, which are very interesting actually, and came across this, so.. Ugh. It's a pet peeve of mine at this point.

On topic!

Misanthrope is a strong word. I've said for years that my husband and I are aliens because we often look at other couples in particular and have no idea how they could possibly perceive most of their relationships to be healthy. And I've developed a minor ego and often find myself feeling a bit above others. But I would never say I hated other people.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
I attend one of the best and most prestigious universities in my country, studying something fantastic.

I have food and shelter and all that jazz.

I have the luxury of video games.

My life is fucking great.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
A negative thread won't combat negativity. A positive thread however...

Fawcks

May 10, 2010
I'm a misanthrope, mostly because I just don't trust people.

I don't actively hate them or go around flaunting how much better I am than other people, I just kind of sit in the corner listening to music and blutter incoherently and curl up if anyone approaches me. People are liars. They love to lie to you. Very rare is a human who won't throw you under a bus for their own benefit.

DarkishFriend

Sep 19, 2011
I honestly find people to be more cynical when alone, which considering we're on a forum board, I would assume that the people posting messages are currently alone. Negative things are more poignant to people in Western cultures probably because positive things are more mundane and less apparent. Therefore we begin to only associate and acknowledge the bad things in life. I know that I'm guilty of this, as I am pretty wary of other people, but definitely not a misanthrope. I understand why people would do such things and I can only say with 100% certainty that if I hate someone, it's because they have done something extremely terrible. Even if I don't know the person, I hate the idea of them. I hate the person that raped my ex-gf even though me and her have constantly fought since we have broken up and don't talk anymore. That person is probably responsible for the reasons this girl is so messed up.

And I agree, teenagers can experience love, though I also know the distinction between puppy love, and for the moment love. I don't like it when people, after days, weeks or even a short month or two declare love for another individual because in most cases, it's not the truth. When I say I love someone, I mean it, not for the moment, but for life. I completely understand what it means to be there for someone because they made a mistake. Your job as a friend isn't to crucify them for their mistake, but to help them through it and make sure they learn from it.

That being said, like other posters have pointed out, don't subject an entire demographic because of your own observations. You may have experienced something close to what others have, but you haven't experienced it like them 100% and haven't been them in those situations. Giving into hatred and fear is easier than you make it sound. It's like a survival instinct not to trust every human out there instantly. Some people just make the connection of not trusting people because of what has happened to misanthropy way too easily. We're all human and we do need human interaction and odds are these people you think are misanthropes have friends and people they love.

Jul 31, 2009
rokkolpo said:
As an answer: I'm going to my girlfriend tomorrow morning and we're gonna bake chocolate fudge brownies, then two more girls are gonna come over and we'll have a Disney Marathon into the night!

Sadly the other girls won't be able to spend the night(one is busy, the other has head-lice atm) so it's just me and my girlfriend.
Tough luck huh ^^
Damn man, sounds like you were so close to having a foursome

Jul 31, 2009
This is all September 11's fault. It takes large events to affect a lot of people, and even if you weren't affected personally by the attacks, a whole lot of other people were, and they're not gonna stop until they've told you about it.

And so movies get "dark" and "gritty", and music gets "emo" and "hair straighteners", and that build a scene which depresses more people. And everyone models themselves on Dr. Gregory House, and gets their political views from South Park (and only South Park) and argues on youtube forums under videos like "Christopher Hitchens on why Twilight is shit", and follows this new-wave of "smartness".

justnotcricket

Echappe, retire, sous sus PANIC!
Apr 24, 2008
Oh, I don't know. Teenage misanthropes are kind of cute in a way; you want to ruffle their hair and say 'D'awwww!' - they'll grow up eventually. If they don't they'll have no friends except others like them, which they presumably won't mind. ;-P

cheese_wizington

Aug 16, 2009
Agreed. These forums by their nature aren't really the most positive place, but for fucks sake if we can't be a LITTLE more pro active and try to move forward instead of just whining and whining and whining and whining about things that can be dealt with on our own it's getting ridiculous.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Housebroken Lunatic said:
Monoochrom said:
You'd be sparing us you're whiny ass, which would be a overall plus. I mean, look at it this way, you think Humans suck and your human, so you're doing your part to fix the ''problem''. While you do that, I and others don't have to listen to or read your blabber. Sounds like a plan to me.
1. Why would I want do do someone or something I hate a favor in any kind of way? That would be pretty fucking inconsistent to say the least.

wait soooo

"I hate humanity because they are MEAN!...but Im not going to do anything, because I hate them Im just going to continue hating"

Im sorry but thats just stupid

Silver

Jun 17, 2008
Yeah! I hate misanthropes! I wish they would all just die! Or just leave the rest of us alone! Can't all us happy people get together and throw them out?!? This world would be much more pleasant then!

Hate doesn't solve anything. If someone's a misanthrope, they probably have a reason for it, hopefully, in time, they'll outgrow it. Sure, people dissing our relationships, our happiness all the time can be annoying, but the opposite is also true. All the constant talk of happy, fluffy feelings, or love woes are probably pretty annoying, and sad too.

If you're not a misanthrope, you love people, you're (hopefully) happy, can't you extend some of that love and understanding to them too? They'll probably resent you for it, but they'll resent you anyway, and you don't need that hate in your life.