You must move to a country that borders your own, forever - which do you pick?

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
EDIT: If you live on an island nation or Canada please read the entire post before saying you have no options. Gracias.

So say the government of the country you are currently living in doesn't want you around anymore because you *use your imagination, fill in the blank*, so you will be moving to another country, forever. (That means you can never leave, not even for vacations.)

You get to pick where you go, but the catch is that it must border the country you are currently living in (your old government doesn't do long-distance deportations. Yeah it's an illogical scenario. Just roll with it.)

So Escapists, which of your neighbor countries would be most tolerable to spend the rest of your life in?

And for you island-nationers, pick from the 3 closest sea-bridged nations.
If your country only borders 1 other country, also choose from the 2 closest sea-bridged nations.
.............................................................................................................................
EDIT: Fine, let's keep this interesting for the rest of you fellow Americans. WHERE in Canada would you move?
[sub]Jesus, so much for my brilliant thread topics.[/sub]

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Well....this isn't very difficult :)

I'm an American (Minnesota to be precise)

Mexico: Terribly poor country with a fairly corrupt government and a drug war that is killing thousands.
Canada: Just like America except a little bit more French and has Universal Health Care

Shit, I could hope into my car and be in Canada by the end of the day if I wanted to. See you in Canada eh.

Silly Canada joke time! "So I was looking through the history book and saw that it's supposed to be called CND. However, every time someone asked how to spell it, Canadians would say C eh N eh D eh! and the name stuck!

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Well, the Netherlands border two countries, Belgium and Germany. So it really is a no-brainer and I pick Belgium. Pretty much no difference but with better food and nicer people (and terrible road sign-age, but I'll manage to live with that).

Taking a slightly longer view (including across the water), there's the UK, which is a nice place to visit, but I don't think I'd want to live there for the rest of my life.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
I'm in England so I just checked a map and the countries that seem the closest are Island, France and either Belgium or the Netherlands. I'd go with France I think. Place seems nice, I haven't been there in, I think 15 years and my vague memory is it was cool.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Oh shit...

Uh... do I live in 'England' or 'the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland'?

If the former, we're next to Wales and Scotland... so... I'd commit suicide?! Beastly places, both of them... *arrogant sniff* Beastly...(!)[footnote]In case you hadn't noticed, denizens of Wales & Scotland, I'm just kidding... and channelling Jeremy Hardy in full-on toff mode... -_-[/footnote]

If the latter, we're next to Ireland only... apart from the economic situation, it wouldn't be bad.

However, if they're allowed to count, we've also got Denmark (Faroes to the north) as a neighbour, though I guess the Low Countries are closer. *shrug*

And of course... France, but come on... I'm British... ¬_¬

farscythe

Dec 8, 2010
being in holland.... i pick germany.. ive already lived in england for about 10 years and loved it but finding work there is a problem for the un educated like me.. and belgium smells funny..so germany it is... (also they serve beer in steiners..wich is me sold)

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I don't have much choose. Sweden, norway or Russia. Sweden and Norway are basically the same. I'd choose... Åland, but that is borderline a country. It is part of Finland but has it's own governing.

But Åland.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Being from America, it seems my choices are Canada and Mexico.

I think I'd choose Canada, but not just because it's a hell of a lot safer at the moment. I don't really like hot weather, so if I'd have to choose between mild summers and colder than a witch's tit winters and blazing hot summers and slightly less blazing hot winters, I'd go with the witch's tits.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Scotland.

I may not be able to understand a damn word they say and it may be cold as feth but dammit .... they have whiskey.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
We've got the UN in the city, which is international territory so I get to chose from any UN member state. Hah, so long, suckers!

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Canada. Mexico has gotten very hostile during the past few years, and it's not uncommon to find people like me tortured, killed, and left in a shallow grave on the side of the road (See the Agnes Torres Sulca case from last year). Canada is much more friendly to transgendered folk such as myself, not to mention I have a few good friends up there.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Being Canadian I can only go to the US though I would have to be very careful where I go there. I have heard there can be a fair bit of racism and violence depending on the area you are in the US.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, that's easy. Canada. It's where I wanted to go to university, anyway. And it's only like, a two hour drive to the border from where I'm currently living. No hassle there.

Next question!

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Scotland. It's basically the same country except with a lot more casual racism and alcohol consumption. I kid. It's half of my heritage so I'd be happy enough to live up there.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
UK here, I'd choose Ireland since they speak the same language. France would be a second choice since I like the food and climate but only speak school-level French, nowhere near enough to actually hold a conversation.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Austria, of course...shit's more orderly there than in the three other possible countries.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
(UK) I'd probably head to Germany as I can speak a bit of German and it seems like a pretty good country for privacy. Or if Scotland gains independence, I'd probably head there as it's much closer & would be easier to get to.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
Well....this isn't very difficult :)

I'm an American (Minnesota to be precise)

Mexico: Terribly poor country with a fairly corrupt government and a drug war that is killing thousands.
Canada: Just like America except a little bit more French and has Universal Health Care

Shit, I could hope into my car and be in Canada by the end of the day if I wanted to. See you in Canada eh.
Same here. Also, you could spend your free time re-enacting scenes from Fargo.