You must move to a country that borders your own, forever - which do you pick?

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I absolutely hate warm weather, so Mexico is out. I guess that leaves Canada.

I've heard it's quite a nice place to live. Matter of fact, I'm probably going to vacation there at some point.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Since I live in the UK.
But I'm half French.
I speak French.
I hold French nationality.
And I relate much more to the French culture than British culture.

This isn't a very hard question. As it is, I may be spending a year in France in a couple of years time, and I haven't ruled out actually moving there permanently.

thePyro_13

Sep 6, 2008
/island nation...

I suppose New Zealand, it kind of borders us, and is pretty similar to Australia anyway. Or Tasmania. :p

A.A.K

Mar 7, 2009
Well, it's Australia. So...Since I'm on an island, everyone borders me! I'm going to either Turkey, Russia or China.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
As much as I wish to commit genocide upon Canada I'll admit it's a definitely a better choice than Mexico.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Well, I live in Portugal, so my only choice is Spain. I've gone there quite a few times on vacation, it's a beautiful country, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy living there, being Portuguese. I had to endure a lot of shit during my vacations simply because of where I come from, including a cousin of mine getting stabbed and us getting refused service at a restaurant.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
April Hannah said:
From the US so either Mexico or Canada. I think it's obvious I would go with the safety and health care of Canada. I just don't speak French and I imagine that would give me some trouble.
Yeah, not in Western Canada. There's probably a lot more Mandarin/Cantonese and Punjabi/Hindi speaking people in BC than Francophones I'd bet. But English is the far and away most common language ( I for one speak almost no French... hell I know more Spanish!).

As for me I guess I'd be going to the States :D (this is a kind of silly question for North Americans)

I could see living in northern California, Seattle area, or even the North east coast.

Edit:
AnarchistFish said:
It seems more exciting and interesting than the sterilised safety of the most developed countries.
Not arguing with your actual point but I can't resist:

Since Canada is definitely a first world country, yet still has vast areas of wilderness matched only by Russia, I would simply say that the "sterilised safety" aspect is optional :D

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Oh and Mexico isn't actually that poor. Obviously they're less developed than the likes of Canada and the USA, and they have a large drug cartel problem, but relative to the whole world they're probably far above average, as is most of latin america. I've always been somewhat interested in living somewhere like that. It seems more exciting and interesting than the sterilised safety of the most developed countries.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
Last thing, this question may have been more interesting had it just been you could move to anywhere. In which case I'd pick one of France, Canada (Montréal or Vancouver), Brazil (Rio de Janeiro), Chile (Santiago), Italy (Florence) or Japan (Tokyo).

MarlonBlazed

Jun 9, 2011
April Hannah said:
From the US so either Mexico or Canada. I think it's obvious I would go with the safety and health care of Canada. I just don't speak French and I imagine that would give me some trouble.
French, a language even Canadians don't speak.

For the record I live on the moon and none of this makes sense to me. We have have no countries and by we I mean me and my imaginary friend.

I have no real choice. I'd move to Washington.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Volan said:
BathorysGraveland said:
Being Australian, I guess New Zealand is the only logical place to turn. It always seemed to me to be a better country than Aus anyway, so I would have no qualms about it.
Back at you. Australia and New Zealand don't actually border anything, so I could just as easily say Fiji or somewhere similar.

So Australia it is. I do love it there, despite being a Kiwi.
Well Antarctica also borders us. That and Papua New Guinea. But I'd rather it be a bit cooler (NZ) than stinking suicidally hot (PNG) or be in the middle of nowhere surrounded by snow (Antarctica). So yeah I'd choose NZ I guess.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Volan said:
Back at you. Australia and New Zealand don't actually border anything, so I could just as easily say Fiji or somewhere similar.
No, we all just get to live in the sea.
any way...

Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
You know I get you wetter
Under the sea!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
so... Canada then? i'm ok with that, hell live on the US/Canadian border as is so it would be a quick easy move

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Since we have "American Soil" in most countries, I can safely choose so many places. That said:

Ô Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix!

The Nossa

Jan 25, 2011
BathorysGraveland said:
Being Australian, I guess New Zealand is the only logical place to turn. It always seemed to me to be a better country than Aus anyway, so I would have no qualms about it.
I guess for the sake of the question, we could include Indonesia and PNG. But I'll choose NZ too

Mr Fixit

Oct 22, 2008
Well since every other American seems to have forgotten about all those little islands off the southeast coast I'll have to pick the Bahamas. Lovely little tropical island & so much warmer than Canada & safer than Mexico. I just gotta watch out for those hurricanes.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Canada. Not too fond of the French part (I personally find French to be an ugly tongue.) but every Canadian I've ever met was really cool. And it's fairly analogous to the US anyway, so the transition between cultures would be simple.

Not really... not really sure why anyone would pick Mexico, really. Not the safest place to be. And you can't drink the water there. (Also I can't speak Spanish.)

Snownine

Apr 19, 2010
I live in the US so it is an easy choice, Canada! Firstly it has the benefits of being safer and less corrupt than Mexico and secondly I would not have to learn a new language. On top of that every Canadian I have met has been cool.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Orange12345 said:
Athol said:
Well since I'm in Canada...nearest nation-by-sea HO!! To Iceland it is! (I don't care if I can't speak a work of the local language)
I think it would actually be greenland
Technically France has a couple of islands about 25km's off the coast of Newfoundland.