Your age and your thoughts

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
37, 38 in October. Think I am younger than I am, despite the hangovers getting worse. But I have stopped smoking weed, which is good. Getting far too close to 40, I don't like it. Been single for 14 years, that doesn't look like changing any time soon. I like my job, but almost everyone I work with winds me up and I'm looking for a change of location. Didn't moving out of my folks until I was 33 due to not having enough money to do so, so I feel like I am behind almost everyone else. Saving for a deposit for a house. Suffer with depression that I should probably do something about. Need to lose weight otherwise I'm going to die young. But it makes me happy to think that should I die in this flat today, my workmates will have to carry me down two flights of stairs. I hope I'm decomposing when I am found as I really want to be a massive pain in the arse when I die.

Wow, that's a lot more depressing than I thought it would be...Now I need to do my ironing, I've put it off as long as I can.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
huckleberryhound said:
Zen Bard said:

I used to think that meant being some shriveled old geezer wheezing through life supported by a pair of crutches and suitcase full of pills. But if you consider that's the same age group as Jason Statham, Robert Downey Jr. and Brad Pitt
Joe Rogan is 48. Nuff sed.
Indeed! (And I can't believe I left him off my list...)

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
22 and I'm right now furious I'm still living at home. DAMN YOU STUDENT LOANS AND CAR PAYMENT!!!!!!

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Elfgore said:
22 and I'm right now furious I'm still living at home. DAMN YOU STUDENT LOANS AND CAR PAYMENT!!!!!!
Nearly 26 and stil living at home. Except that I'm the homeowner now. Bit of a double edged sword but moving out is financially not an option yet. I'd say, don't feel bad about it.

Jan 27, 2011
Seeing all these other near-30s crippled by existential doubts makes me feel.....Uhh...Not "better", but at least lesss alone. XD

So yeah, 28, gonna be 29 in about 2 months.

And all I can think is "AAAAAAAHHHHH, come oooonnnn this HAS to be my last semester, I have to actually pass that stupid math class and ace that game dev class! I just wanna get this CompSci degree done so I can actually get out there, get a programming job, get some money, and save up to move out so I can start my damn adult life!"

I don't mind living with my parents per se (the food is great, I don't pay rent, I only have like 3 rooms I'm responsible to keep tidy, they're not super nosy, etc), but there are certain things I can only really do when I'm on my own, and frankly, I just wanna flap my wings and see if I'm ready to leave the damn nest already.

On the plus side of things, I have a great social network and some truly great friends, and I have a pretty solid game writing portfolio (ALMOST landed a writing gig last year with an indie studio, but the fact I'd have to move and my incomplete degree made the guy go "Yeah, we're gonna go with someone more local, but it was damn close, man. Keep showing those games to people. They're good stuff."

So I'm basically a mixture of anxiety, impatience, and hope at the moment.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
24. Feels bad because I still feel like I'm 15 waiting for "stuff" to happen. Yeah I know you don't wait for things to happen, you have to go out and do it. But it's been almost a decade of seeking mental health treatment and I've only just made progress.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
35-Pretty darn happy with my life right now, happily married with a superb wife, no kids and in a great apartment and enough money to do anything I want. Even so, I've felt quite a bit slip by me in the years that I'll never get back. Wish I'd done more with cars and mountain biking, and other things that people do in their youth, but being stuck almost 10 freaking years in a country where this is not really viable has made me pretty bitter. I watch kids on Youtube doing stuff instead, and make do with what I got, I guess.

Glad to live with no regrets otherwise, I mean family obligation is not really something one can always control. But feeling very healthy and looking pretty darn good I'd say, just did my first duathlon a month ago and came 11/153 in my age group (after quitting smoking a year ago), so gotta be doing something right on that front I guess.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Huh. It's no wonder why the quality of The Escapist forums is so good given everyone's age here. You are all mature adults. :D

I'm 24 and I had a fantastic year last year. I got a driver's license, a car, and a great paying job with great benefits and plenty of movement potential/security. I even graduated on time two years ago which was something I thought I wouldn't do. So I feel lucky.
I'm feeling pretty confident too, I've been discovering more about myself (my personality, what motivates me, my positive traits, and my sexuality to name a few) which has cleared a lot of my self doubt and having a steady financial future with my new job also helped with my anxiety.

It's not all roses though. I still live my dad and have quite a lot of debt due to student loans and car payment but I know it could be much worse. I have only 50k$ total debt no credit cards with some that expected to be subsidized due to my occupation. Plus, my dad is comfortable with me staying with him as long as I need to. I also have to answer a few hard questions over the next few years like if I will stick to my plan of not marrying or having kids and the long term consquences of doing that. If I'll ever go back for the master's degree I wanted since I was little and if its financially feasible or even worth the investment. How will I cope with my increasingly aging family, my dad who I rely on and love deeply in particular.

As for goals. At the moment I'm trying save up as much money as I can to eventually become independent. I'm also trying to find meaningful relationships in my life beyond my family, such as friends or maybe a partner I share the same passions with. Also trying to focus more on my hobbies and interests like drawing, writing, reading, and exercising.

When I was young I didn't really have a future in mind. 20+ just seemed so old and beyond my comprehension back then. Getting that job was big for me and unexpected.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
23 and 24 in September. I honestly don't really give a thought about how old I am sometimes except when my parents oh so condescendingly remind me with the appropriate reaction of "Oh I'm 23 years old... huh...". In my head of course. Still studying programming and enjoying life in the only way I know how. Playing video games when I'm not working. Also reading forums when I'm super bored.

Also it's apparently international happiness day. -_- [sub]Kill me noaw[/sub]

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom

It's not that bad, guys.

Like, turning 30 is hard for most people I think, it forces you to confront all the things you thought you'd do in your life but didn't manage, but ultimately I'm starting to see the truth in what all my older friends told me, which is that actually being in your 30s is cool. Your body still mostly works, you have more experience and probably more perspective. Older people will start to take you more seriously while younger people won't quite see you as their parents yet.

When you're in your late 20s in particular I think it's easy to see your teens and early 20s as some kind of prelapsarian state where everything was wonderful, but to be honest things were probably super shit and you're just idolising the way you would have lived your life if you'd had the experiences and the self-confidence you have now.

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
27. Sometimes I lament being "behind" so many other people, but sometimes I feel okay with it. It only really flares up in my freshman philosophy class... 18-year-olds are fucking idiots.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
chocolate pickles said:
18. Feeling like a god. Laughing my ass off at you old geezers, and the fact that since I'm in the UK, I don't have to wait I'm 21 to do anything.
Oh don't worry kid, you'll wake up tomorrow and be 40, and wonder what the fuck happened. That or you'll be dead. The only thing that stops aging is death, so enjoy that while you act like an entitled kid, try not to kill yourself doing dumbass shit, which is part and parcel of being your age. :p That last bit is in response to your "laughing at you old geezers" comment.

OT: 40 and I feel relatively the same overall. Aside from annoyance at health issues that are now becoming a regular occurrence, I don't really feel very different. Thoughts wise though, I look back at how I was at say...oh 18 or so, and think "Wow, what a fucking idiot I was. How did I survive some of the dumbass shit I did without a criminal record, or permanent disability?

It's genuinely difficult to put my brain into the mindset of that age, as to how I viewed things, and how my brain processed data.

Sep 28, 2016
Thoughts vary between "OH MY GOD IM GOING TO DIE FOR NOTHING LEAVING NOTHING EVERYTHING WILL BE NOTHING!" To "OH MY GOD WHY WONT I DIE THIS IS HORRIBLE!" To "I'm so hungry. You're very pretty, want to eat some food with me?" With the occasional "hahaha! You're funny. Want to hang out?" Manatee mindset is as deep as the water we're fated to suffer in. 30 this year. Shambles.

chocolate pickles

Apr 14, 2011
Happyninja42 said:
chocolate pickles said:
18. Feeling like a god. Laughing my ass off at you old geezers, and the fact that since I'm in the UK, I don't have to wait I'm 21 to do anything.
Oh don't worry kid, you'll wake up tomorrow and be 40, and wonder what the fuck happened. That or you'll be dead. The only thing that stops aging is death, so enjoy that while you act like an entitled kid, try not to kill yourself doing dumbass shit, which is part and parcel of being your age. :p That last bit is in response to your "laughing at you old geezers" comment.

OT: 40 and I feel relatively the same overall. Aside from annoyance at health issues that are now becoming a regular occurrence, I don't really feel very different. Thoughts wise though, I look back at how I was at say...oh 18 or so, and think "Wow, what a fucking idiot I was. How did I survive some of the dumbass shit I did without a criminal record, or permanent disability?

It's genuinely difficult to put my brain into the mindset of that age, as to how I viewed things, and how my brain processed data.
Not sure where entitlement comes into this. Yeah, I come from a good home with good parents, but the fact I left college with 2 A*'s and got an unconditional offer to uni was off my own back, no one else's. I'm taking the next steps in my life based off my own hard work - I never sat back and asked for them to be handed to me.

andriotel

Mar 20, 2017
Well, me is 35 and I wish now people from different nations to better understand each other. May be some of you say it is imposible due to cultural aspects and stuff like that but I hope...I just think the better way for that is humor since via humor people can find more things in common rather than what separates us. I put some Russian humor short vidios and would be very pleased if some of you respond if I am on the right way. I understand there might be cultural aspects which needed to overcome ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjQoHFWMxnE&index=1&list=PLZ-eKlOis0qhTAxlzaI-tcr23OnLOcaeg

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I'm 32. Age really doesn't mean much to me at this point. I appreciate the freedom and the disposable income, and thankfully I have a job with flexible hours, so I can still game to by heart's content.

If anything, I find myself thinking a lot more about what I hope to accomplish in my lifetime than I did when I had more years ahead of me. I've already dropped 20 lbs on a recent diet, so that's a start.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
38. I don't drink, never done drugs. My body would be a temple if not for hypoglycemia requiring a regular sugar regiment. Never been to "the factory", never gonna. Reproduction is a highly overrated notion and I want no part of that shit. All the worst decisions by family members have either led to or been because of children. Why then would I want one and have to cut out 95% of my television viewing and gaming habits?

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
31, 32 in a few weeks. I'm ok with it. Frankly, I have more going for me than I did in my teens and twenties.

Cycloptomese

Jun 4, 2015
39 - My dad just had his first heart attack a couple of weeks ago. Mortality rears its ugly head yet again. He's back home and doing fine, BTW.

I've known some rough years money-wise, but right now I'm doing better than ever before, partly due to my wife who makes just as much if not more than me. My son just turned nineteen so that makes me feel kind of old, but we play games together so it's all good.

I've been having some lower back pain the last couple of years. I told my dad about it and he said "Get used to it". Thanks for the encouragement, paps.

In short, things are pretty good and could be a whole lot worse.

Edit: fixed spelling errors