Your animated avater is distracting

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
Everyone who has one likes them. Everyone who dislikes them, does not have one. If does not hold true that everyone who likes them has one. Similarly it does not hold true that everyone who does not have one dislikes them.

Everyone who talks about their avatar in this thread, has an animated one. Everyone who doesn't, doesn't. This is where I should talk about mine, but don't. Wait.... Dammit.

TheMadDoctorsCat

Apr 2, 2008
About my avatar, I have only one thing to say...

...We are Anonymous. We are legion.

(Seriously, I'm not really... it's just a much cooler way of saying that I couldn't be bothered to find a picture to use.)

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Redlin5 said:
*Snaps a crisp salute*.

SomeLameStuff said:
Where's yer current avvy from?

Aerosteam said:
[...]Yeah, I know that, but I'm taking any opportunity to tell people myself because I feed on pride. :p

Also it would be interesting to see some sort of reaction to it myself.

[HEADING=2]"Darling, I find your portraiture skills to be positively orgasmic."[/HEADING]​

[small]Jesus...I think I may have taken that slightly too far. I'm not sure I can see the line any more.[/small]

OT: Well, there's at least one way to disable them (at least when the page is loading) and the people of The Escapist honestly don't seem to go for the more obnoxious, fireworks display avatars that you'd probably see on a lot of other forums; they just kind of settle into something that's tastefully done, has a nice loop to it and isn't hard on the eyes. We should probably thank the good folks at the avatar creation group for that.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I generally tend to tune them out. Except for TopazFusion's... his always makes me think I should be holding a controller.

Kolby Jack said:
Solaire of Astora said:
I haven't watched Comedy Central in a long time. I'd love to know what episode of the Colbert Report this is, because it looks like something I need to be watching right now.
It's an episode from a while back, at least 2 years I think. I wish I could remember better so I could look it up, but I cannot.
You're welcome. [http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/xkmfex/stephen-s-remix-challenge]

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'm not a fan. If somebody's set on having one, I prefer the ones that don't include different shots and just have a moving character.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Aerosteam said:
mitchell271 said:
Aerosteam said:
mitchell271 said:
Short continuous ones like Daystar's and Vault's are cool, but ones like Caramel Frappe's right now... *shiver* Funny but terrifying
Terrifying? How so? Too flashy?
What it implies... McDonalds isn't just on every street corner, it's in every fictional universe! AHHHHHHHHHH
OH SHIIIIIIIIII-

But that's a McCafe caramel frappe traveling around. Weird, no?

By the way I made that avatar.
Nice! You can tell there was a good amount of effort put into it, animation isn't a short task. I like your current one too! Definitely The Behemoth inspired, maybe Battleblock Theater?

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
I used this avatar on another forum for years and only recently did one of the mods notice it was animated. Apparently realizing it animated after several years creeped her out, so I'm keeping it in case that happens to anybody else.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
mitchell271 said:
Aerosteam said:
mitchell271 said:
Aerosteam said:
mitchell271 said:
Short continuous ones like Daystar's and Vault's are cool, but ones like Caramel Frappe's right now... *shiver* Funny but terrifying
Terrifying? How so? Too flashy?
What it implies... McDonalds isn't just on every street corner, it's in every fictional universe! AHHHHHHHHHH
OH SHIIIIIIIIII-

But that's a McCafe caramel frappe traveling around. Weird, no?

By the way I made that avatar.
Nice! You can tell there was a good amount of effort put into it, animation isn't a short task. I like your current one too! Definitely The Behemoth inspired, maybe Battleblock Theater?
Yes, actually. Here's the original gif.
I've modified it quite a bit though.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I'm confused. Are you saying you DON'T like Kirk slapping himself?

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I like to think mine is alright, it's subtle...sorta.

But still I don't find them overly distracting myself, though I suppose you could. :eek:

Stg

Jul 19, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Flutterguy said:
Usually tends to distract me if its one I haven't seen, I like to see from the start to end of the loop. Is a certain Full Metal Jacket one I don't think I'll ever adjust to though..
Ahaha... ahahahaa... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... MUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!

Don't worry, I'm going to change it soon. It's out of date.

OT: I've had someone make a thread specifically to ask how to block my avatars. I'm used to this.

Of course, if I ever tone it down, I get people sending me sadfaces, so therefore, I have to keep them flashy.

Besides, how would anyone else remember me?
If you need an animated avatar to be remembered, then you're doing something wrong.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Stg said:
lacktheknack said:
Flutterguy said:
Usually tends to distract me if its one I haven't seen, I like to see from the start to end of the loop. Is a certain Full Metal Jacket one I don't think I'll ever adjust to though..
Ahaha... ahahahaa... AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... MUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA!

Don't worry, I'm going to change it soon. It's out of date.

OT: I've had someone make a thread specifically to ask how to block my avatars. I'm used to this.

Of course, if I ever tone it down, I get people sending me sadfaces, so therefore, I have to keep them flashy.

Besides, how would anyone else remember me?
If you need an animated avatar to be remembered, then you're doing something wrong.
Seeing how the most the most remembered Escapists, such as Boudica, and Karutomaru, are remembered because of how disliked they were, you're doing something wrong if you're remembered on this forum at all.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Say what you will about my avatar, it is the most gentlemanly. Just Godbert the Goldsmith out for his morning stroll.

Although I still like my Sue and Puffy avatar from Grandia. Both avatars were made by Caramel Frappe.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Coincidentally, I just made my first animated avatar. It's not great, but hey, it's something. I kinda wish it was nicer, but I'll take what I can get.

I actually quite like animated avatars. I find them more recognizable than static ones, even if only a little. They're not really distracting. They'd be distracting if they were significantly closer to the text, but as they are they're no more distracting than the rest of the things in the sidebar.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
Kolby Jack said:
Solaire of Astora said:
I can't see animated avatars or just anything unique anymore. All I see is Bieber. I'm not sure what happened, but I didn't clear my cache for a long time after the April Fools shenanigans, and when I finally did, every avatar was still his face.

...someone...please...help me...
Oh dear, you pushed the button. Does nobody heed warning signs anymore? Here, to fix it, click the spiral button under my avatar.

It's an episode from a while back, at least 2 years I think. I wish I could remember better so I could look it up, but I cannot.
I've known about the button for years now so I haven't clicked on it since it first showed up. But the Bieber thing happened anyways around April Fools and it got stuck that way. And the normal method of fixing it wasn't working, so I was looking for answers :<

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
xmbts said:
I like to think mine is alright, it's subtle...sorta.

But still I don't find them overly distracting myself, though I suppose you could. :eek:
<_<

I miss the old shiver avatar.
Barbas said:
Redlin5 said:
*Snaps a crisp salute*.

Breakfast has been saved!