Your Arch-nemesis Game

Soods

Jan 6, 2010
archvile93 said:
Soods said:
archvile93 said:
Bought it on steam's sale myself too, expecting it to be this giant blob of compressed awesomeness squeezed straight from Athena's teat. Was hugely disappointed with the gameplay and the only redeeming quality was
that tiny moment.
It might have been great years ago, but I just couldn't see what was so damn awesome about the game overall.
Are you referring to the part where Atlas reveals himself as Fontaine and betrays you? Even that was under-whelmeing as I saw it coming miles away. I knew Atlas would betray me the second he opened his mouth (just call me genre savvy), and I knew he was Fontaine when Wilkins wouldn't shut up about how he was still alive and Atlas kept droning on about how Wilkins is just paranoid and Fontaine is dead, really.
That "would you kindly" part, as it was meant for the player as well, since it is the player who controls the protagonist. (Fourth wall and all that stuff.)

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
I'm going to have to go with Singstar. It was more then once I have thrown a microphone for calling me Tone Deaf.

For more gamey games though I would have to choose a publisher. Valve seems to make such good games, then go and ruin them with stuff they added in. Its just minor things like not being able to leave a Dota game or just stupid little annoying additions they seem to put in just to annoy me.
Except for Team Fortress, I hate all of that game.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
archvile93 said:
Bioshock probably disappointed me more than any other game I've played...
Totally agree with you!

I loved the concept and it really looked to put a fresh spin on First Person Shooters. But about halfway through, it just became a grind. Maybe I didn't play it right...dunno.

Oddly enough, the camel's back-breaking straw for me was how the same enemies inexplicably got stronger as the game progressed. With all the plasmids and powers I was picking up, thought it should have been the other way around.

Plus I was never a big fan of Ayn Rand anyway. Thought her whole "Objectivism" philosophy was a little thin...

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
first of all id say all Bioware games after Dragonage Origins, they just left a really bad taste in my mouth that i cant get out (especially ME3 but lets not get into that) and also the company's general attitude recently.

The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. my god do i hate this game... yet absolutely love it at the same time. the level scaling sucks, theres not as much to do as in morrowind, rpg elements were scaled back, and the setting is bland as hell. yet i still love playing it (which makes it all the worse) well at least i can mod most of my complaints away

Feb 26, 2011
Not a game I HATE per say...but Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes utterly broke my spirit. I borrowed it from a friend. I literally could not get out of the first room. The guards killed me EVERY TIME.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Kopikatsu said:
Every game made my Valve. Yes, even Team Fortress. Yes, even Half-Life.

I hate the Source engine so much. SO MUCH.
With the exception of Portal, I have to agree.
I do not have a singular Arch-nemesis, all of gaming's enemies are my enemies.
Kojima and the Heavy Rain guy, who forget to put gameplay into their games.
Valve (Gabe Newell) for influencing the industry in negative directions.
Activision (Kotick) for being the worst of the business side of games.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Right now it's dark souls.
Simply for that GODDMANNED CAPRA DEMON!!11!!!(etc)

I simply can't get past it, I'm sure when I beat I'll get to enjoy the game, but for now. Fuck that guy

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
AgentLampshade said:
Devil may Cry: Devil May Cry, and it's not even out yet. I'm judging from trailers, gameplay footage and the demo because...well why else are they there?

I could go on about how Ninja Theory are a bunch of pretentious, incompetent, arrogant pricks, but you've heard all that before. I could also go on about how the writing is bland, but I think people will figure that out when they play the game.

Instead I'll go on about the redesign. There, I said it. Everything in the game looks like it was stained with mud and shit then looks at you and tells you to accept it's originality. Dante's hair looks stupid and it looks even worse when it's white, I mean, how can they fuck that up? The music sounds like robots fighting each other and Dante's ALL voice actors just sound sluggish and bland, as if they only glanced the script five minutes before they left to record the lines.

The combat's dumbed down. The music is bad. The lore is butchered. The characters unlikable. Every single "creative" decision the developers have made (and the publisher has forced) is terrible.

Ugh, that felt good to get off my chest. I see people arguing over everything about this game and that nobody is pissed at the redesign anymore, but every time I see promotional artwork, I look at it and it reminds me that I am pissed at the redesign.

As for specifically why it's my arch-nemesis, simple. It's trying to kill the previous franchise. I loved the previous franchise and feel it's being kicked while it's down by the bad guy, his henchman and the once-faithful sidekick-turned-traitor. (Ninja Theory, the gaming press and Capcom respectively.)
Having just finished watching a playthrough of this mess on youtube, I agree. Not even going to throw money at this game.

You forgot to mention the fact they turned the whole thing into a twelve year olds fanfiction and turned the cast into the worst Mary Sues possible.

The worst part about this not just how they have ruined Dante's character by turning him into a bland tryhard jerkwad, but how they ruined series fan favorite: Vergil

I literally have to give ninja theory credit, they turned one of the most intriguing and interesting badass characters of the series into...the blandest sentient life-form. He's so BORING, everything about him is. His design isn't TOO bad but, he no longer has any ambiguity. He lacks any presence whatsoever and every time he opens his mouth i feel myself start to fall asleep. He also doesn't seem to have much in the way of proper backbone and seems to be constantly sneaking around or working around behind the scenes, which just ISN'T vergil: Vergil could manipulate things, but he more then often strolled into trouble with a calm pace, drew his sword and cut down whatever was in his path before keeping right on going. Finally, he Did not give two shits about humanity and simply wanted to gain power so that he could be his fathers equal. He wasn't fully Evil per say, he just didn't care much about humanity. The reboot vergil is trying to be a well intentioned extremist and justify his desire to take over humanity as "Protecting" them. And then there was the obvious twist of him turning into a villain at the end...URGH!

Mundas just doesn't seem as interesting and he appears more like a mob boss then the king of the underworld. I admit in a way this is likely more intentional given he's been in the human world longer then most other demons, pretending to be a human. But like vergil he lacks presence and he isn't very memorable. Even his demon form's a cliche, unmemorable...thing.

I don't see how anyone can think ANY of these reimagined versions are even remotely better then the originals, they are all horrifically bland Mary Sue's that just happen to have the main characters names attatched.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
spartandude said:
The Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion. my god do i hate this game... yet absolutely love it at the same time. the level scaling sucks, theres not as much to do as in morrowind, rpg elements were scaled back, and the setting is bland as hell. yet i still love playing it (which makes it all the worse) well at least i can mod most of my complaints away
I have the same sort of thing going on too. The first two times I played I hated it, but ended up playing it again and loved the hell out of it.

The setting is absolutely bland as hell as you said, but now that I've been playing Skyrim I've been yearning to return to the sunny forests and shores of cyrodiil. I live in Pennsylvania and I visit upstate New York a lot, if I wanted Skyrim weather I just step outside. I want that feel of someplace else, not home. I'd say something about Morrowind but I haven't gotten the chance to play it. I have the game but when I tried to install it on a pc my mom gave me it died that day, I never left the first town ;-;

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Uncharted 1-3

All of the Uncharted games scream everything I hate about gaming, the emphasis on graphics over gameplay/spirit/effort/fun/goodness and terrible characters. Seriously. Uncharted is a warning sign about the industry here. (Ironically, the same developers are making The Last of Us which looks real badass). And it's evil amazoness sidekick is Sonic 2006.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
The entire series of Megaman (except X) and Resident Evil. Granted I haven't yet played resi 4 which is supposedly quite good (though I will admit I have lied to people to and said I have cos I can't take their elitest shit). I just don't get why these games are so revered. I love the idea of levels and bosses in any order but I hate the level design, its always cheap and I fail to find any of it fun. Resident Evil I hate even more because people call it amazingly written and when you say it isn't a million twats go crazy and say you don't get it. Every single plot of every game sucks, even 4 (which I have seen playthroughs of so I know what happens) and despite people saying its intentionally silly I still think it sucks, and even then fans say "its not resident evil, it would be better if it was zombies". Oh give me a fucking break. Lazy, all fucking lazy, damn near every capcom story is lazy. Hell I like the Dead Rising story and even that is lazy.

Folksoul

May 15, 2010
Skyrim. Quantity of choices =/= quality experience. The damn thing is too expansive to function properly and has a crappier exposition method than ff XIII. Not to mention that, skybox aside, the game looks like ass. I've played better looking games on the PS1.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Kopikatsu said:
Every game made my Valve. Yes, even Team Fortress. Yes, even Half-Life.

I hate the Source engine so much. SO MUCH.
I feel the same about Unreal Engine 3 and just about every game by Epic.

Can not stand the lot. Such an awful engine. (and they STILL haven't fixed the texture fill rates!)

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Yokillernick said:
Seriously. WHAT'S WITH ALL THE HATE ON FINAL FANTASY XIII ??

So could someone explain this since it's getting ridiculous.
I didn't hate it, but I didn't think it was great. For me it just ended up being medicore.
I disagree on people's opinions of the gameplay though. I see it at other final fantasy games just focused to make a spectacle. Your paradigm shift is the equivalent of choosing the right attack menu and that's where the strategy comes from. Nobody could seirously get far just pressing auto attack alone.
People didn't like the characters. While they were ok and mildly fleshed out. I was just never attached to them.
People really hated the linearity. They wanted more exploraiton and choice that they expected from the series. I didn't mind. When I actually got to the open part I got bored because it didn't seem to fit, and my guide suggested backtacking to farm for CP and I just stopped.

It's a pretty game, with ok music, not particularly memorable characters, and hit or miss gameplay.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Saviordd1 said:
aguspal said:
No, the art stealing thing is NOT OKAY; even if it's your favorite game. If someone BLATANTLY steals something it's bad, I don't care what game is doing it. And by buying the game you are allowing people to profit by stealing and abusing someone else's creativity.

Again, your missing the point. It's not interesting to repeat something over and over and over and over. By the time a meme gets into a game it's been overdone to death.

If Borderlands actually had respect for itself it'd think of NEW jokes, not inserting old ones and saying "lol we're original and random". That is the worst kind of humor.

And people go with the games you mentioned because they have good plot, or good characters, or ACTUAL JOKES. These are writers that actually did more than copy paste something off the internet and call it good work.

Good stories are ones with characters with arcs, with plots that have interesting themes or points, or memorable moments that actually have an impact.

Basically your playing the Transformers of games, that puts it in the same category as COD or Medal of Honor.
You know what, you are right, we are repeating the same thing over and over again. I guess we just cant get to a point in common as well. I also love your last line: "your playing the Transformers of games, that puts it in the same category as COD or Medal of Honor" Let me guess, you are of the same people that mindlessly hate on COD and other military shooters for no reason... sigh. Oh well. I wont bother with this anymore. If you want to have the last word then so be it, I wont continue with this anymore.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
ccdohl said:
Darren716 said:
Saints Row the Third, why did you have to remove so much from Saints Row 2 and make the game so over the top and insane?
Oh man! I totally agree with you there. I was considering what game to put down, and you did the work for me.

I had this awesome 80's looking dude in Saints Row 2, with the most hilarious body proportions and outfit. When SR3 came out, I set out to remake him, but found that the body options were actually more limited than in SR2. On top of that, the game was just stupid. I mean, SR2 was goofy as heck, but SR3 overdid it, and it ruined the fun.
Worse than that was the cutback on both the amount of available clothing as well as the wear it option try making a male character there are only so many cool outfits available for them. It really feels like on that front that it was gonna be some dlc that never got made due the game somewhat flopping.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
aguspal said:
Saviordd1 said:
aguspal said:
No, the art stealing thing is NOT OKAY; even if it's your favorite game. If someone BLATANTLY steals something it's bad, I don't care what game is doing it. And by buying the game you are allowing people to profit by stealing and abusing someone else's creativity.

Again, your missing the point. It's not interesting to repeat something over and over and over and over. By the time a meme gets into a game it's been overdone to death.

If Borderlands actually had respect for itself it'd think of NEW jokes, not inserting old ones and saying "lol we're original and random". That is the worst kind of humor.

And people go with the games you mentioned because they have good plot, or good characters, or ACTUAL JOKES. These are writers that actually did more than copy paste something off the internet and call it good work.

Good stories are ones with characters with arcs, with plots that have interesting themes or points, or memorable moments that actually have an impact.

Basically your playing the Transformers of games, that puts it in the same category as COD or Medal of Honor.
You know what, you are right, we are repeating the same thing over and over again. I guess we just cant get to a point in common as well. I also love your last line: "your playing the Transformers of games, that puts it in the same category as COD or Medal of Honor" Let me guess, you are of the same people that mindlessly hate on COD and other military shooters for no reason... sigh. Oh well. I wont bother with this anymore. If you want to have the last word then so be it, I wont continue with this anymore.
No I hate them because they're shitty games that don't innovate in the slightest, support a "go america, let the army fuck foreigners" ideal, are childish action hero escape fantasies and they keep the market in trouble.

Oh and they spawn dude-bros.

But of course you'd rather make an allegation without the slightest backup and then walk away because you don't have any actual points to make and support the stealing peoples hard work.

Keep being the problem with video gamers.