Your bad gaming habits

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
I am a compulsive reloader. Whenever I watch my sister play Borderlands 2 I get so frustrated watching her running around with one or two bullets missing from the clip. She even does such horrible things as swap unloaded weapons! I alway's need to reload before I swap to a different weapon so that it's fully loaded in my inventory, it's just essential for me.

I also tend to save scum a bit, I am really bad in RPGs, if I make the wrong choice and get betrayed or something then I just reload the save to do it again. I also constantly reload saves the moment I see the consequences of a choice just to see what the other choice would have done.

This applies to games like Skyrim where I will make a character then delete it and start again because I didn't like the hair or wanted to try out another play style. I had 4 or 5 characters by the time I finished any of the questlines in Skyrim, if I didn't make sure to delete them then I would currently be on my 20th character or something.

L0dest0ne

Sep 24, 2012
I find myself unable to skip cutscenes. For some reason, I just find it disrespectful to the characters to skip their cutscenes. It's especially annoying in games like dishonored where you must go through multiple cutscenes in one mission, and you must restart the mission every time you die.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Constantly reloading (but Borderlands 2 helps to get rid of it with Gaige's anarchy skill) and I tend to gett recklessly and I just barely gett out of a firefight then.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
I used to be a compulsive reloader, but after I started playing games like ARMA 2 where one bullet is all that's needed to kill an enemy, I stopped. I usually only carry four to six magazines so if I reloaded a magazine that was missing 2 of 30 rounds, I would waste 28 bullets that could have been used.

mohit9206

Oct 13, 2012
one bad habit i have is i always play a game on the easiest difficulty setting.
another is if a game supports cheats codes i will most like use it to make the game even easier ..
i do this because am scared that if later in the game some difficult section comes up that is frustrating i dont want to regret choosing normal or hard difficulty..
recent examples being max payne 3, crysis 2, mafia 2, etc all of them i played on easiest difficulty setting ..

recurve6

Jan 8, 2011
Probably the worst for me is focusing way too much on the game. If I'm playing with other people I usually don't say much unless it's a pretty lax moment and if a friend is trying to talk about something not pertaining to the game in question I can get a bit irate, though I've gotten a bit better of late.

Constant reloading, as I've seen a lot of people say, is another.

My uber competitiveness gets me really frustrated, even if I say "Oh, it's just for fun." It's never JUST FUN. NEVER.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Slayer_2 said:
I reload compulsivly, although Vegas 2 fixed this somewhat.
I do that, too. Mostly right when I get done shooting, and it has messed me up a few time when another guy came in the middle of it. And then playing Borderlands 2 as the Mechromancer, with Anarchy, where you lose all your stacks if you reload before the clip is empty... man that has been hard to get used to.

SadisticBrownie

May 9, 2011
I tend to explore too much. Dishonored, for example. Spend hours on each level, rooting out every nook and cranny and possible route. Kinda destroys the replay value.
Also, I've built up a ridiculously large backlog of games, yet still buy more.

shogunblade

Apr 13, 2009
When I play games that have challenge modes, if one flaw happens in a combo or what have you, I will restart that playthrough and never continue, even though that flaw might chain into something bigger and better down the line.

When I was heavy into Both Arkham City and Arkham Asylum, the fight challenge rooms were absolutely terrible, because if I didn't have a 10x combo in fighting almost immediately, I'd restart the whole match. That made probably a two or three hour gameplay match about...I'd say 10 or 11 hours longer than it should have been.

When I play Gotham City Imposters (I just realized I have a huge DC video game kick, oddly enough), I will also stock up on ammunition and health as much as possible. Did I mention I have OCD in some small cases?

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
SadisticBrownie said:
Also, I've built up a ridiculously large backlog of games, yet still buy more.
I think everybody that buys games regularly has this problem. We all think that we'll get to those games eventually, and we never do.

I have a hard time in a lot of older RPGs because I'm too afraid of messing anything up. So I often spend more time worrying about doing things correctly than playing the game and having fun. It's one of the big reasons that there are so many old RPGs in my backlog.

MiriaJiyuu

Forum Lurker
Jun 28, 2011
You know? I never realized how many people felt the compulsion to reload til just now, I thought there were a lot fewer of us.

Seriously though, I very rarely expend more than half a clip on a SMG/Assault Rifle type weapon and tend to reload after every shot from a sniper rifle... even if there's 10 rounds in the clip. I think it's mostly due to the fact that if you reload when you still have bullets left you can fight off something still if it interrupts your reload. That and I always map it to middle mouse so it's always right there.

I avoid Tediore in Borderlands 2 for this very reason... although the one time I did use them I completed the entire challenge for dealing damage with Tediore weapons really quickly.

Arrogancy

Jun 9, 2009
I never use the ultimate weapons I'm hoarding because I'm afraid that, despite the current fight being ridiculously difficult, my next fight might be even more ridiculously difficult, and then I'll need the ungodly powerful weapons I'm hoarding. And the health potions. And the mana potions. And I'll be lucky to have all that backlogged ammunition for the rocket launcher I didn't use to kill those tanks earlier. It'll all come in handy for the next fight, I swear...

TheTechnomancer

Jul 6, 2011
When the game gets tense, i chew my tongue. Been doing it for several years and still haven't stopped myself from doing it yet.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
I have to explore an entire area before moving on. I don't even enjoy it really, I just feel really bad about not knowing where that door on the left led to... I might be moving past it with Dishonoured though, I wasn't frantically searching for the 100000000000 ways in/through an area before actually going through with it.

ProTip: Hiding in the rafters is always the best idea.

I like starting certain games again because the opening is cool. I regularly restart Bioshock because the intro and Medical levels are awesome. The following level with the Research Camera makes me drop the game completely every time though.

I've been through the opening of Persona 4 at least 4 times now. It's still fucking amazing. The pacing is spot on, the music is epic, there's a perfect amount of story/dialogue/gameplay/combat gameplay ratio and the opening two hours is just all round awesome.

Also the start of Dark Souls. Level 1 invades are hilarious. Then Blighttown happens and oops, there goes that playthrough!

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Driving on sidewalks, or in the on-coming lane.

Also, I'm a bit of a collector. If there's a special, unique, or rare item I have to hold onto it and put it somewhere. Like in FNV and Skyrim, I have a cupboard deticated to my trophies.

hoboman29

Jul 5, 2011
If the number in my ammo count is anything but a number that ends in 0 or a multiple of the magazine (eg. mag of 5 i have 15 other bullets left) I get really upset and will not be happy until the number is "correct."

If I missed something I felt was important I also get really upset.

Also I am another OCD reloader which doesn't help with my first OCD issue but I always like having full mags in my gun.