Your bad gaming habits

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Whenever I play a multiplayer RPG with friends (WoW or Borderlands) I will outlevel them. This will generally upset them into no longer playing with me, and we'll just pass here and there, and by the time we're all max level we'll have totally different in game social groups.

I don't do it maliciously either, it's always "I'll play another hour, they won't mind if I'm a level or 2 higher".

VeryOddGamer

Feb 26, 2012
I am also a compulsive reloader.
Another thing for me is that I almost never use any consumable items. Health regaining ones only when necessary and temporary boosts never. I always sell them, so I can buy something that lasts.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

IFS

Mar 5, 2012
My name is IFS and I'm a compulsive reloader. My bigger issue in games with an inventory system is hoarding, if it could prove useful, or is worth a decent amount, or I want it as a trophy, or for any number of reasons I will pick it up and go to great lengths never to drop anything.

Most of my New Vegas characters end up alchoholics because drinking boosts strength and I drink often enough to carry more loot that it becomes pointless to cure my addictions. I also remember making several runs all the way through the elven ruin in dragon age (the part with the werewolves) just so I wouldn't have to destroy loot.

D-Soul

Sep 5, 2012
well my fist bad habit was leaving my games out of the case and when they stopped playing there was no one to blame except me now all my games REMAIN IN THE CASE at all cost unless it is being played.

My other bad habit sort of goes with Loot games See cool weapon/accessory/etc, drop remove all the stuff I don't need and pick up what ever it was.

MrBlackDX

Oct 15, 2012
I'm thinking compulsive reloading is one of the bigger factors here.

What about when you are watching someone else play (in person or Lets Play) and they don't reload? I either tell them to reload "casually", "Uh you might want to reload..." OR I will seethe in my head at the annoyance of LPers not reloading.

Another bad trait for hoarding, weight limits... Even when I start afresh with like 12/100 weight, when I get to 100/100, oh I might justify the reduced movement speed for the rest of the quest OR start weight/profit calculate among EVERY item I come across (if I chuck this away, I can get 1 extra bottlecap for picking this up...)

jdogtwodolla

phbbhbbhpbhphbhpbttttt......
Feb 12, 2009
I cuss/yelp gibberish very loudly when i'm in a state of losing or disbelief. Everyone in the house can hear my nonsense.

I tend to let some RPGs/Sandboxes sit for a very long while and then I tend to re-start too often due to re-learning or intimidation from where I left off.

Here's the big one. I used to have a habit of only buying games with at least one full score review. I was interested in so many games that I chose that as a filtering method.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Arrogancy said:
I never use the ultimate weapons I'm hoarding because I'm afraid that, despite the current fight being ridiculously difficult, my next fight might be even more ridiculously difficult, and then I'll need the ungodly powerful weapons I'm hoarding. And the health potions. And the mana potions. And I'll be lucky to have all that backlogged ammunition for the rocket launcher I didn't use to kill those tanks earlier. It'll all come in handy for the next fight, I swear...
And then run the credits!

Yeah this is me.

Also, another compulsive reloader too. But I think its more of a good habit, at least in my case it rarely gets me killed/wounded/whatever. Depending in the game anyways.

Save, save in another slot just in case anything bad happens with slot 1 is a classic for me too.

Tdoodle

Sep 16, 2012
I will horde high-level or rare items under the pretence that I'll need them "just in case", but I never use them at the time because I'm too caught up in what is going on. Like in Skyrim, I'll wander around with these fabulous arrows and high-level swords for hours/days/weeks and I won't ever use them outside of roleplaying ("Oh a Nightingale quest, better equip ebony arrows because they go well with the armour... but I don't want to waste them just in case so I'll only use the Nightingale Blade").

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
Saving the game every five seconds, for fear that I'll die and have to take those three steps forwards all over again. Sometimes I'll double-save, just in case I was just imagining the first time I saved. Seriously.
But mainly because if I get out of that habit, I forget to keep saving completely and next time I die I have to start the area all over again.
Seriously, I think on Skyrim I spend as much time in the save menu as I do actually playing the game.

Also a more expensive habit, I need to stop taking my frustration out on my controller. Whoever the last guy to invade me on Dark Souls was owes me a lot of money.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Switching difficulties all the damn time. I'll get far in a game on normal difficulty but start all over on a harder difficulty because the game is too easy. Or sometimes I'll start off on the hardest difficulty setting and restart on normal. Then I lose interest because I have to replay chunks of the game. ):

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
I seem to have a lot of bad habits, I constantly forget to save my games and when I do I look at the last save and realize that was several hours ago. In games like Skyrim I get really anal about my living quarters, I want it to look nice even though I only stay in it for a few minutes at a time. (With the previous habit it makes me very angry when I re-enter the house after a few more hours playing only to return to everything being blown around the room and out of place)

And finally I'm a hoarder, I don't collect useless items like plates and stuff like that, I hoard weapons, armor and stuff like that not because I think it may become useful later, but because I'm far too lazy to stop adventuring every 20 minutes just to find a place to sell all of my damn loot.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
compulsive reloading. My #1 cause of death in BL2 with tediore rocket launchers so i blow myself up.

hoarding. mostly in MMOs

in a sticky situation, i run away until I either understand whats going on, have a plan, or have a better angle. although to be fair, in MMOs i have ran away from an unwinable danger and left my friends behind >_>

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
I'm definitely a compulsive reloader.

I also have this obsession with hearing every bit of dialogue I can find, even the ambient ones.

Ctmnt08

May 24, 2012
I have 2 habits, though I suppose only 1 is "bad."

That bad one would be that I love the beginnings of games. Starting up, working through the levels. With modern games and their RPG elements, my habit has become a borderline creation fetish. Since the start of most games is the best part (gotta get peoples' attention!), I find myself playing hours 1-3 over and over again, even if I only beat the game once. Worst game for that: Dragon Age 1. I have played the beginning at least 6 times. Still haven't beaten it.

Habit #2: Anytime a sports game lets me create a team, their name will be the Tigers. It has no special significance of any kind. But it never fails...

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I noticed compulsive reloading is a common bad habit, and I am also guilty of that... probably because there hasn't been a new Metal Slug for years now. Sad.
1. Must get every item, must not miss a single thing.
2. Whenever I'm asked to make a name for an avatar its very, VERY bland. Ex. I named my first Dark Souls character Jason... sigh...
3. If the enemy is a higher level than me, I go higher, too high, and I destroy them... its not like I didn't at least want a challenge or anything -_-
4. I always try to handicap myself when my character is too strong, I don't have fun doing it, yet I still do it WHHHHHHHYYYYYYY!?!?!

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Must...save...everything...I...do. Even if I just wash a car or kill one guy I gotta save it. Skyrim is very accommodating on this with it's save state style save system.

ShockValue

Addicted to coffee
May 8, 2008
Can't think of anything other than needing to reload a lot. Common apparently >.>