Your bad gaming habits

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
In every game where there's the option, I will always prefer to use melee attacks, even when it's clearly the least effective thing you could do.
This becomes especially prominent in survival horror games. I don't care how many rounds of pistol ammunition I have, I'll be in the Labyrinth section of Silent Hill 2 still using my freaking plank.
I'm glad that there are games like Dishonored that fully account for people like me. In fact, I think that there's only about 5 people in the game who I've killed with something other than a blade/melee attack.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
*Check everything for loot, even when you're already so rich that really don't need any more.

*Being so bogged down with loot as to slow myself down significantly.

*Playing with a semi-choppy frame rate because I have to have the graphics maxed out.

*Adding too many mods.

*Saving every 2 minutes, even when the game isn't the type to crash that often.

pilouuuu

Aug 18, 2009
Thankfully I don't have the habit many people seem to have about going back to a previous save if I take some bad decisions.

I've been making a habit of living with the consequences of whatever decision I take, which actually makes the game more fun. Except if I took a wrong decision because the dialogue options weren't clear o due to bad design of the game. In that case I have to reload. It happened a lot in L.A. Noire! I also hate how in that game you almost always had the same outcome in the missions, no matter what decisions you took. It would have been much better if you could screw a case and everyone would remind you of that, but because you took the decisions, not because the game says so.

Back to my bad habits I would say being good in games! Yes, no matter what I'm always good in games, trying to be a hero and all that. I'm trying to mix things up a bit and being evil in some quests, but not the whole game. I'm trying that in New Vegas, thinking about what would it take for someone to survive in a post-apocalyptic game and taking some hard decisions which are morally ambiguous make the game much more fun and varied.

Another bad habit is playing too many games at the same time, so I take a lot of time to finish anyone. Sometimes I take my time to return to a game, so when I start to play it again I forgot some quests or even who were some of the characters.

It's not totally bad, because when I get bored of a game I start playing another one and when I come back to the other game it feels more fresh and enjoyable again.

captcha: cat pajamas

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
I buy more games than I can play. I can't resist a bargain, even when I have a stack of "To do" games. Steam with its sales is terrible for me, I just cant resist snapping up items, even though I might have 60 games already gathering dust in my library. I'm the geek version of a shopaholic.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
My big thing in game is hoarding health and ammo packs thinking "I'll need it later"

Also I have a very large backlog of games i've bought but haven't played yet. I think i still have a back log of about 20 games at last count.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
Definitely obsessive loot pickup compulsion, I tend to be running around gathering loot while combat is going on, focusing on reading and picking up items over actually fighting the enemies.

Also I have a weird habit where I press buttons on a controller/keyboard/mouse for no reason, purely out of habit. On keyboards I mash the Caps Lock on and off repeatedly, on controllers I click the thumbsticks in, on a mouse I click the mouse wheel button and on my original Nintendo DS my left thumb always gravitates towards the power button, which I sort of nudge because its kind of loose but never actually press it.

I also reload way too often, which many of hours of Halo 3 trained me to do. Sometimes its so bad that if I encounter two enemies at once in for example CoD I'll shoot one of them, reload and kill the second one when reloading was completely unnecessary.

I either never use grenades or I spam them all in one burst, carefully managing grenades and saving them for important moments is just too big of a burden for me.

I need help.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I also tend to horde everything until I'm too weighed down. Then I sell it all in one fell swoop! I'm also a massive trophy whore. I don't attempt to platinum all of them.. Instead I calculate which I can do. Ill especially do it with a game I really like, even if some trophies are ridiculous/time consuming.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Tazzy da Devil said:
Unless a game has savepoints or auto-saves, I don't save. Pretty much ever. I remember once there was a blackout and I lost 7 hours of my game. I don't think I've touched that game since out of sheer disappointment.
wow.. That really sucks. That's actually happened to me once but with an assignment I was working on. Autosave didn't catch all of it either. Heh, tbh, after playing Fallout: NV I compulsively save now.. All the time. I'm paranoid about losing my work.

feeback06

Sep 14, 2010
White Lightning said:
I usually hold on or gather powerful weapons or equipment "just in case" and wind up never using them.
I have a bad habit of that as well. I'm playing Persona 4 right now and I have so many attack and revival items that I don't know what to do with them.

xshadowscreamx

Dec 21, 2011
well a new habit is looking at the cheevo list after when i begin a game so i dont miss one that i can only do at a certain point, im working hard to just not care on my 1st play through if im keeping the game.

Simon Pettersson

Apr 4, 2010
I am always exploring, I both hate and lve huge game maps for this...
I havn't even finished Skyrim's main story yet. And I also a cleptomaniac in games, I want everything ....

BadgeMan

May 21, 2009
I'm incredibly possessive of warthogs in Halo Reach, to the extent that if a team mate jumps in that I don't approve of, I jump out, toss a frat grenade underneath and flip it, throwing them out. I then dash over,take control of the warthog and drive off.

Also I have a nasty habit of yoinking a friend of mines assassinations in reach as we'll. sometimes accidentally, sometimes not.

...I'm such a dick.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Saving.

Since I'm used to games crashing on me I tend to quicksave and save a LOT. I also don't see the point of dying and having to replay half an hour to get where I was before. Luckily a lot of games do autosave quite frequently now so I don't have to do it so often, but when they don't I'm hitting F5 like there's no tomorrow.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
I have a bit of a defeatist attitude when playing stealth games. If I'm detected, I'll often just let them kill me so I can try again from my last save. I'm playing through Dishonored right now, and I'm trying to curb this habit a little.

Like many others, I'm also a compulsive reloader. Fortunately, some time in Borderlands 2 with Gaige's Anarchy Counters have helped me get over it, to some extent.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
The worst gaming habit by far that I have built up over the last few years is looking online, youtube and wiki's for tips, hints, secrets.

It's good to do when you are starting with a character-just incase they have a useless trait that you thought would be awesome. But ruins everything else...except dark souls...i needed some tips for dark souls.

OpticalJunction

Jul 1, 2011
I reload the starting sequence of RPGs too often because I want to change my character's appearance/stats. It's annoying and it happens frequently with games like skyrim.

I buy too many steam games and then play none at all. I'd rather replay an old favorite that I know like the back of my hand than try something new.

Driekan

Sep 6, 2012
DementedSheep said:
I horde everything even remotely useful and never use them even when I?m struggling. I?m always thinking ? uhh no, I can do this without a potion/medkit/boost/whatever. I should save them unless I need them later" even though I have ridicules amounts of them and it is a difficult fight.

Also games tend to make me an obsessive perfectionist. Though I?m getting better at not doing this, mostly because I don?t have the time anymore. For example:

If it?s an RPG, a game with choice or hidden things I always want to start over mid way through the game because of things I?m not 100% happy with or missed even if it?s irrelevant to the rest of the game or not necessary. Hell I many even do his because of completely irrelevant dialogue choices.

If an NPC?s (even an unnamed one or units that are meant to be disposable) death can be prevented and I don?t have a reason to want them to die I will make sure they don?t. I fought the first dragon multiple times in Skyrim just to prevent the death of some guards.

I redo sections of stealth games if an enemy becomes alerted even if they didn?t see me.

If I?m feeling particularly obsessive I?ll do reload Single player shooters if I miss a shot or get hit. (This also ties in to hording with bullets)

Everthing must be perfect! Imperfection shall be PURGED in FLAMES!
I was going to post the exact same things down to individual word choice, almost. Apparently we share a brain.

KiloFox

Aug 16, 2011
i constantly reload my weapon. in just about every game even if i still have half a clip left i'll reload. this has lead to my ass getting shot COUNTLESS times.

i also loot everything. i'm a perfectionist and a completionist as well, so i'll waste hours looking in corners and stuff for items that'll be marginally useful. (sometimes only to completely overlook the actually useful item RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME) it also means if i get a kill in say, Call of Duty, i'll typically rush to see what gun he had to see if it's better than mine. that habit fades once i get a gun i like though (P-90 SMG)

and i also will kill just about anything once it's outlived its usefullness in RPGs like Fallout... just about no single survivor town EXISTED anymore in Fallout 3 after i was finished playing.

Captcha: Be my friend?
captcha is forever alone

Inconspicuous Trenchcoat

Shinku Hadouken!
Nov 12, 2009
League of Legends helped me develop the bad habit of not wanting to play a game when I didn't get any kind of recognition for my playtime. LoL games gave me IP, and that made me reluctant to play other games, because then I wouldn't be progressing in LoL and fall behind--I've played with a few hardcore groups and used to keep up with the champion releases. Somehow that translated to Steam games and their associated achievements. I could maybe convince myself to play something other than LoL but only if it was tracked and awarded. So, in the rare case I did pull myself away from LoL, it'd need Steam hour tracking or achievements tacked on to get me to play it. This also made playing console games impossible. IF deh r knot tracked, it's liek Imm not playin them at all (this was before I had a console that gave you points and stuff for every menial thing you did)!!

In Counter-Strike, I compulsively reloaded. And I usually was going around a corner at the time (I know, I'm really tactically minded), so I often died more than I should have for not being able to shoot back.

"I got bet'r." It's okay now, these days I can play mostly anything; I don't play Counter-Strike at all now, so problem solved! there. Today, in LoL, I play Co-op Vs AI a few times a week for the win-of-the-day bonus (it's not as bad as it sounds, sometimes it's only a 6 and a half minute game ^^) to somewhat keep up in IP. ARAM is fun, but normal games and ranked make gallons of stress flood my body whenever I consider participating in one (at least alone). Overall, I'm no longer a slave to IP gains and hour tracking. That was a dark time in my so very hard life and I'd rather not talk about it anymore.