Your Culinary Hot Takes

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
Real men eat their fries with mayonnaise.
Pineapple doesn't belong on pizza
Serving Oysters can be a fun way to separate the wheat from the chaff

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
My problem with them is that they are the "Mexican" version of McDonald's. Once you go to actual Mexican restaurants, there's no need to go back to Taco Bell ever again aside for maybe two or three items. Shoot at my job, there's at least three or four Mexican restaurants and a Taco Bell in the surrounding area. Even the cheaper Mexican restaurants have better quality food than Taco Bell.
Taco Bell is fast food. I highly doubt anyone wanting "Mexican food" considers Taco Bell an authentic option, so comparing it thusly is an unfair comparison. Like McDonalds, it survives on its convenience and accessibility, not the objective quality of its food.

Pineapple doesn't belong on pizza
Yes, it does. Never understood why pineapple on pizza gets such a bad rap. It's a classic "salty and sweet" combination; I'm convinced anyone who complains about it hasn't tried it, and the aversion is purely out of ignorance/inexperience.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Taco Bell is fast food. I highly doubt anyone wanting "Mexican food" considers Taco Bell an authentic option, so comparing it thusly is an unfair comparison.
Unfortunately, I've met people that dumb that considers Taco Bell authentic Mexican. And these people aren't dumb hicks or rednecks either. Inconvenience is all they're barely good for at this point.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Unfortunately, I've met people that dumb that considers Taco Bell authentic Mexican. And these people aren't dumb hicks are rednecks either. Inconvenience is all they're barely good for at this point.
I've never met such a person. I have met people who wanted Mexican food, but didn't feel like driving past the dozen Taco Bells between themselves and authentic Mexican cuisine at an actual restaurant. If you know anyone who feels Taco Bell is "Mexican food," please give me their name, address and business hours, and I'll be glad to swing by and slap some sense into them.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Oreos are shit. Like really, really, really, REALLY bad. I've had month old wafers that tasted better. Me being raised on American media, and how it presented America and everthing from it as the most awesomest ever, figured those Oreos must have something going for them, being as big of a brand in America as it is. I took one bite from my first Oreo ever, and it's like the cookie version of a garbage pail kid died in my mouth. I'll never take Prince or Lu for granted ever again.
I meant to ask: what's your take on cookies n' cream ice cream (Oreos being a key ingredient,) and if you say you don't like it, you're objectively not human.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I've never had it. Honestly not much of an ice cream guy anyway.
When adulting shoots off the scale. I'm 41, and if ever you find me not finding the time for some cookies 'n cream or cookie dough ice cream, put me down like a broke-legged horse. Try cookies 'n cream ice cream, and if you're not smiling after the first bite, have yourself institutionalized; I'll front the bill (not too fancy a place, though; I'm thinking a Motel 6 where the only care you'd received would be a wake up call; I ain't Daddy Warbucks.)

Reactions: Casual Shinji

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Most meat that isn't beef tastes just like beef and not worth killing the animal for. I've had llama and capybara and there's nothing to the taste. I'm happy if we just slaughter pigs and cows.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Chicken should be cooked incredibly dry, so it's almost fibrous. And if it's a fillet, the outside should be borderline hard. Like eating a meat Dime Bar.

Jarrito3002

Elite Member
Jun 28, 2016
Country
United States
There is nothing wrong with your basic fastfood burgers and joints. I live in Chicago so I have access to plenty to top tier places and I do enjoy them and partake in heavenly flavor.

But sometimes I just want a McDouble, a Whopper and Little Ceasars despite knowing I have access to superior options if you will. Plus the pepperoni in the crust at Little Ceasars I would marry it if I could.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
For myself? Gordon Ramsay scrambled eggs aren't very good. There was a period in my life where I would make breakfast in sight of other people who would critique me for not using his method after he did the thing on his youtube channel or whatever. Thing is, I can make eggs his way just fine - its not like its a particularly difficult recipe, just a technique thing for the most part. I just don't like custardy eggs, and I'm fat enough without also adding calories via creme fraiche to my already questionably healthy eggs. I really do prefer them diner scrambled.

Time to make some enemies.

You people who like cheese don't like food. You just like different mechanisms for delivering cheese into your mouths.

Think about it. If I put steak on apple pie, or steak on ice cream, or steak on cherries, you would think I was insane and that I have a problem.

But you people do it. For all of those things. Apple Pie and cheese, Cheddar Cheese ice Cream, Cheese with Cherries.

It's like you people can't enjoy food unless you can find a way to shove cheese in it some how.
There's actually an interesting discussion on that, introduced to me by the guy who invented Cheez Wiz in a book I was reading that included an interview with him oddly enough. Fun fact: he was upset about them removing the last bit of actual cheese from Cheez Wiz, because he felt that real cheese made it classy. Its the issue of adding cheap cheese to stuff so you can put it on the label, but it adds very little flavour and a lot of calories. There was a bit discussing how specific cheeses are meant to be eaten by themselves in specific ways that I thought was interesting. Dude had a whole cheese shelf with like a hundred bucks of different fancy cheeses to sample from.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yes, it does. Never understood why pineapple on pizza gets such a bad rap. It's a classic "salty and sweet" combination; I'm convinced anyone who complains about it hasn't tried it, and the aversion is purely out of ignorance/inexperience.
Because it's disgusting. You should be ashamed for discussing something so revolting in a food thread! And I have tried it, my father is a fan of it and he... no I can't go on, the memory is too traumatic.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
If you want to see crimes against food, cheese, and god, look up Chef Club videos.

Oreo cookies are great. The stuffing makes them worse

Can we just admit the Epic Bacon phase was a weird bit of mass psychosis?

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
If real ground beef ever gets too pricey, skip the over-processed meat substitutes and just give me a grilled portobello on a bun already.
I'm not vegan or even a vegetarian, I just think it's not worth the effort to get slightly-above-junk food to taste 'close enough' to some other slightly-above-junk food.

On the other hand, imitation food for expensive food I'm all for. Passable fake caviar, crab, and black truffles are all fine by me.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
If real ground beef ever gets too pricey, skip the over-processed meat substitutes and just give me a grilled portobello on a bun already.
I'm not vegan or even a vegetarian, I just think it's not worth the effort to get slightly-above-junk food to taste 'close enough' to some other slightly-above-junk food.

On the other hand, imitation food for expensive food I'm all for. Passable fake caviar, crab, and black truffles are all fine by me.
They have fake caviar?

*Googles it*

Gross. I mean, REAL caviar is gross, but that they make FAKE stuff? Gross.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
So I discovered you can deepfry butter and now I am a changed man.

(simple recipe is you take a stick of butter, freeze it, coat it with a thick batter, deep fry it and top it with cinnamon and powdered sugar)

I am researching what else you can deep fry like that. I wanna attempt this with bone marrow since it's like butter but better.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
As a non-American the first time I saw what chicken fried steak was I was wildly disappointed. Like I don't know what I expected but I like those 3 words and the reality was like the worst possible outcome.

OT: Burgers aren't fancy. Fuck off with that shit. Give me some cheap fatty beef, fry it and put it on a bun with pickles and cheese. If you give me a burger that is like half a foot tall with an entire slice of tomato that's the same diameter as the patty I will come after your family.

Reactions: Xprimentyl