Your Culinary Hot Takes

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
As a non-American the first time I saw what chicken fried steak was I was wildly disappointed. Like I don't know what I expected but I like those 3 words and the reality was like the worst possible outcome.
Ikr, chicken fried sounds like it'd be deep fried in chicken fat, or really anything involving actual chicken or parts thereof. But nah, it's just a beef schnitzel.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Country Fried Steak w/Gravy and Biscuits is one of the best meals you can have.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
OT: Burgers aren't fancy. Fuck off with that shit. Give me some cheap fatty beef, fry it and put it on a bun with pickles and cheese. If you give me a burger that is like half a foot tall with an entire slice of tomato that's the same diameter as the patty I will come after your family.
There are no onions or egg and bacon, or pineapple and lettuce. Your burger is incomplete.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
OT: Burgers aren't fancy. Fuck off with that shit. Give me some cheap fatty beef, fry it and put it on a bun with pickles and cheese. If you give me a burger that is like half a foot tall with an entire slice of tomato that's the same diameter as the patty I will come after your family.
We have a fast food burger chain here in the Texas called Whataburger (natives pronounce it "WATER-burger" for whatever ungodly reason,) and it could change your mind. I'm of the same "keep my burger simple" mindset, but Whataburger does something magical. They take all the fixings of a foot-tall burger and condense it into a normal-sized one. Their burgers are HEAVY and delicious, but you'll feel like a glutton after plowing through one; it's like eating a fucking brick. I "treat" myself to Whataburger about twice a year, and I gain 14 lbs. each time. They've got a new, limited-time menu item right now, their pico de gallo burger... might be lunch today. I'll be asleep by 2pm and dead by the time I hit 50.

1628601208676.png

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
I mean people have been deepfrying ice cream for a while now. The question is, why would you want to deep fry butter??
By people do you mean the Scottish?
There are no onions or egg and bacon, or pineapple and lettuce. Your burger is incomplete.
Onions are acceptable, lettuce goes sad, bacon just produces something less than the sum of its parts, egg?! and pineapple makes me ashamed that we share a species.

We have a fast food burger chain here in the Texas called Whataburger (natives pronounce it "WATER-burger" for whatever ungodly reason,) and it could change your mind. I'm of the same "keep my burger simple" mindset, but Whataburger does something magical. They take all the fixings of a foot-tall burger and condense it into a normal-sized one. Their burgers are HEAVY and delicious, but you'll feel like a glutton after plowing through one; it's like eating a fucking brick. I "treat" myself to Whataburger about twice a year, and I gain 14 lbs. each time. They've got a new, limited-time menu item right now, their pico de gallo burger... might be lunch today. I'll be asleep by 2pm and dead by the time I hit 50.

View attachment 4215
Burger places in ireland have been trying too hard for too long. We got our first real smashburger place recently and it's simplicity is perfect.

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
No... Should I mean the Scottish?
I hear deep fried I assume the Scottish. My friend moved to Dundee for college. His first night alone in a new city he went to a chip shop to get himself some dinner. He brought home his cheeseburger and spent about 2 minutes trying to figure out what the crispy brown ball they had given him was. It was a fully battered deep fried cheeseburger.

He then lived in Scotland for about five years during which time he bought a deep fryer of his own.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I hear deep fried I assume the Scottish. My friend moved to Dundee for college. His first night alone in a new city he went to a chip shop to get himself some dinner. He brought home his cheeseburger and spent about 2 minutes trying to figure out what the crispy brown ball they had given him was. It was a fully battered deep fried cheeseburger.

He then lived in Scotland for about five years during which time he bought a deep fryer of his own.
Had no idea that was a thing. Is there a particular reason for it lol

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Had no idea that was a thing. Is there a particular reason for it lol
If you were directly attached to the most invasion happy country in history you'd probably want comfort food too.

Also apropo of nothing I just remembered visiting family in Tyrone and seeing banana on pizza for the first time.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Also apropo of nothing I just remembered visiting family in Tyrone and seeing banana on pizza for the first time.
I'll go to bat for pineapple on pizza all day; it's tang and sweetness compliments the tang and saltiness of the food. But banana is just bland and an odd paring with the sauce and cheese, yuck.

Reactions: Buyetyen

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I'll go to bat for pineapple on pizza all day; it's tang and sweetness compliments the tang and saltiness of the food. But banana is just bland and an odd paring with the sauce and cheese, yuck.
Plantain bananas and cheese can works really well tho. Maybe not on a tomato sauce based pizza, but I once had this chimichange combo where one was filled with banana and cheese, the other spicy chicken. Shit was divine, the cheesy sweetness contrasting lovely against the savory heat.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Plantain bananas and cheese can works really well tho. Maybe not on a tomato sauce based pizza, but I once had this chimichange combo where one was filled with banana and cheese, the other spicy chicken. Shit was divine, the cheesy sweetness contrasting lovely against the savory heat.
My dad (from Panama) showed me how to make plantains, pan fried with salt, and yes, that is delicious. But regular bananas, I just can't see on a pizza. Not saying I wouldn't try it, just never heard of it.

What weirdo alternative universe puts EGG on their hamburgers?
There's a joint here in Texas (Ft. Worth to be exact) called the Love Shack. When I first moved here I lived about 30 miles from it, and the patrons at the bar I frequented kept harping about their "Dirty Love Burger." I finally acquiesced, and made the commute to try the famous DLB. Got there only to find it's a hamburger with a quail egg and their secret "Dirty Love" sauce. I nixed the quail egg because no, and after much coaxing managed to get out of one of the employees that the Dirty Love Sauce was some concoction of ketchup, mustard and mayo, three things I refuse to eat, so I nixed that too. So after all the fan fair, I commuted 30 miles for a basic b**** cheeseburger.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
What weirdo alternative universe puts EGG on their hamburgers?
'MERICA.

I've tried eggs on a burger before; not too bad. You can put eggs in ramen and rarely anyone complain about it.

There are no (red) onions or egg and bacon, or pineapple and lettuce. Your burger is incomplete.
I agree with nearly all of that expect the pineapple. I hate regular onions and prefer red onions on my burger or sandwiches.

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
'MERICA.

I've tried eggs on a burger before; not too bad. You can put eggs in ramen and rarely anyone complain about it.

I agree with nearly all of that expect the pineapple. I hate regular onions and prefer red onion on my burger on sandwiches.
I can either way on onions. Red onions taste good raw and cooked so they’re versatile. At most takeaways the white onions are cooked on the hot plate with the burger - sometimes with a bit of butter to caramelise them - and then put on the burger.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Meximagician

Elite Member
Apr 5, 2014
Country
United States
Raw onion (in reasonable portions) is great, while cooked onion is mostly awful. People who claim 'it takes on the flavor of what you cook it with' are objectively wrong.

And while I'll tolerate onion rings, I'd choose a raw-onion-garnished drop biscuit over them any day of the week. That's a better use of both onion and batter.

lostinreality

May 20, 2021
Country
UK
Personal preference, but I don't get all the hate for mint as an ingredient in pastries and meals. Sure, if the chef is inexperienced it tastes a lot like toothpaste, but if done right, it gives a refreshing sensation mixed with flavor.

I despise yogurt with my bloody soul and entire being. It's ice cream's sad cousin trying to get a little spotlight.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Personal preference, but I don't get all the hate for mint as an ingredient in pastries and meals. Sure, if the chef is inexperienced it tastes a lot like toothpaste, but if done right, it gives a refreshing sensation mixed with flavor.
When cooking with mint, I'd suggest using Moroccan mint instead of spearmint, peppermint or watermint. It's milder, sweeter, more herbal, and has lower menthol content, so you get that minty flavor profile and freshness, but without the toothpaste taste.

I despise yogurt with my bloody soul and entire being. It's ice cream's sad cousin trying to get a little spotlight.
Hard disagree. Yoghurt is pretty much mandatory in basically all cuisine ranging from the Balkans to India. One of the most satisfying meal I've ever had was a freshly baked Mesni Burek (a type of filled pastry) with some Ayran (Balkan style savory drinking yoghurt), while out on the town in Skopje.

Speaking of: Greek yoghurt + Moroccan mint + lime juice + chives + garlic + a little salt & pepper = a simple but great and refreshing sauce that goes really well with savory meat dishes, especially anything spiced with paprika, cumin and/or curry.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Raw onion (in reasonable portions) is great, while cooked onion is mostly awful. People who claim 'it takes on the flavor of what you cook it with' are objectively wrong.
Who ever said the onion takes on the flavor of what you cook it with? Onion is it's own distinct flavor that brings itself to the party.

Ayran (Balkan style savory drinking yoghurt)
I tried this once. I heard "yogurt," and went in thinking it'd be like a milkshake... it was not like a milkshake. It tasted like VERY spoiled milk. It tasted so not like what I expected, I spit it back into the cup. I pride myself on being able to stomach something I don't like (in moderation) for decency and decorum, particularly for a host or in public, but not that time. Then, I watched a 4-year-old with Indian food smeared all over his face drinking that bile, fingerprints and mouth smears all over the glass, with pure delight. I about got sick.