Your current book...

Metzeten

Oct 16, 2009
Finally got my hands on Skin Privilege by Karin Slaughter. Took me long enough but I've now got all her books... and this end to the grant county characters.

Now I just need to settle down to reading it faster =P

zega frega omega

Dec 5, 2010
I was reading the Holy Bible before my American Literature class began reading To Kill a Mockingbird, which I'd already read. I didn't even get passed Genesis when I had to return the book :(

Aiden_the-Joker1

Apr 21, 2010
I am reading Anne Frank's diary. I have not yet reached the point where she went into hiding so she is just talking about her life and how the Jewish community is having all of their rights removed. Such as using public transport, a curfew, the right to attend public school and not being allowed to own a bike among many other things.

Ravenseeker

Jan 11, 2009
Sarah Kerrigan said:
Kill The Dead by Richard Kadrey. It's the sequel to 'Sandman Slim' for Anyone who has read that.

Violent, Sexy and every swear word that has come out of a sailors mouth...very well made.
this and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller for English. Both are good and both are funny.
Probably will reread the Long Halloween and Dark Victory by Jeph Leob and Tim Sale. They are among the best Batman tales out there not written by Frank Miller

Melon Hunter

Chief Procrastinator
May 18, 2009
'Shades of Grey' by Jasper Fforde. It's brilliant; a story about a society hundreds of years after some apocalyptic event where everyone is ranked on their perception of colour from the lowly Greys to the ruling classes of Purple and Ultraviolet. Colour itself is a physical object; bought, sold and pumped through pipes. The pedantry of the Rules and the 'Great Leaps Backward' satirise Collectivist rule and as you can probably see, I'm a big fan of his work (go and read his Thursday Next and Nursery Crime series; they're great as well!)

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
Ravenseeker said:
Sarah Kerrigan said:
Kill The Dead by Richard Kadrey. It's the sequel to 'Sandman Slim' for Anyone who has read that.

Violent, Sexy and every swear word that has come out of a sailors mouth...very well made.
this and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller for English. Both are good and both are funny.
Probably will reread the Long Halloween and Dark Victory by Jeph Leob and Tim Sale. They are among the best Batman tales out there not written by Frank Miller
Good I'm not the only one who is reading Kill the Dead xDD

Is it just me or is James Stark the next Dante of our time? (Dante as in DMC Dante)

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
hyzaku said:
Passage to Dawn. Tenth book of the Legend of Drizzt series.
How appropriate that you're recommending books that star a character who's said "Greater indeed are those pleasures that are shared." I loved that line so much I used it in one of my speeches and I even used Drizz't's name, it was great watching all the stuffed shirts trying to pretend they knew who he was!

I bought my girlfriend the Dark Elf trilogy for christmas a couple of years ago, she loved it but I haven't read that series in years, I wish I could read the rest of the series since the first three were so great! (Nope I never did get to read Neverwinter Nights)

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
working between rereading dante's inferno and World war Z dependent on the mood im in.

Thank god for book digitization and project Gutenberg... or else I would not read books at all. I am the one person who cannot stand to read from physical books I think. If I cant read it in a dark background with a light font, I can only read for about 10 minutes before I develop a migraine.

I Max95

Mar 23, 2009
Mockingjay by Suzanne collins
its good i recommend it but it is the conclusion to a trilogy so pick up "the Hunger Games" and "Catching Fire" first

its called the next Twilight, i resent that statement

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
smearyllama said:
True Grit- Great western, I've only read the sample on the kindle so far, but I like it a lot!

The Third Lynx- Good Sci-fi, sequel to Night Train to Rigel. Imagine film noir set on space trains.
Yeah. Space trains.

Reality is Broken- Great book about the positive effects of games on society.

All of these are great titles to pick up.
I work on 2-3 books at a time, so I can pick another book up quickly if one of them is getting boring, and then I can switch back when I'm in the mood.
Who is the author of "Reality is Broken" please?

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
mikev7.0 said:
smearyllama said:
True Grit- Great western, I've only read the sample on the kindle so far, but I like it a lot!

The Third Lynx- Good Sci-fi, sequel to Night Train to Rigel. Imagine film noir set on space trains.
Yeah. Space trains.

I work on 2-3 books at a time, so I can pick another book up quickly if one of them is getting boring, and then I can switch back when I'm in the mood.
Jane McGonigal. Reminds you of a certain character from a certain series of books by a certain British author, does it not?

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
Warforger said:
ThatLankyBastard said:
Just wondering what all the Escapists are currently reading... pretty simple right?

So, what book are you currently reading? Is it good? Would you suggest it?

For me, I'm reading "Red Harvest" by Joe Schreiber...

3 words... Star Wars Zombies...

I suggest it!
The Essential Writings Of Karl Marx. I read the craziest books particularly because I don't like reading, so whenever I do read books it's usually the more interesting or historical ones, my last book was called Heavy Metal Islam.

If you want to know more about the man sure, but he writes in really big words that most people won;t be able to pick up and read, usually at my library the books have notes that help reading it but in mine they're still hard to read, not as much as Karl Marx's writings. Still I'm halfway throught he book and I've attained the reading level of him and can understand what he says albeit I have to read it carefully and drain my brain juices to do so.
If you want a really interesting yet productive read I would highly recommend CHAOS the making of a new Science by James Gleick.

As for what I'm reading right now it's called God in the Equation by Corey S. Powell and it's a really great book primarily about Einstein and Relativity but it also suggests that Science and spirituality aren't just coming together but pretty much always have been. Since Science is borne of Philosophy, makes sense to me. Really great book if you enjoy non-fiction especially Science.

mikev7.0

Jan 25, 2011
smearyllama said:
mikev7.0 said:
smearyllama said:

Yeah. Space trains.

Jane McGonigal. Reminds you of a certain character from a certain series of books by a certain British author, does it not?
Hmmmmmmmm. Sorry you're going to have to give me a hint or something. (Don't feel bad there's lots that I'm ignorant of but I'm always willing to learn.) I am going to pick up "Reality is Broken" if I can find it though. I've been looking for a book exactly like that, so thanks!

smearyllama

May 9, 2010
mikev7.0 said:
[

Hmmmmmmmm. Sorry you're going to have to give me a hint or something. (Don't feel bad there's lots that I'm ingnorant of but I'm always willing to learn.) I am going to pick up "Reality is Broken" if I can find it though. I've been looking for a book exactly like that, so thanks!
Professor MacGonagal from Harry Potter, of course!

Also, if you have a Kindle, it's available on the store, and it's cheaper than buying the physical copy.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
I just finished "Full Dark, No Stars" by Stephen King recently. Man, that is one mean book.

And for my English class I've got The Lost World to read, so that's getting pretty interesting.

F-I-D-O

I miss my avatar
Feb 18, 2010
Heretics of Dune
Just finished Agents of Artifice: A Planeswalker Novel I recommend it, it was a nice solid read. However, one plane just seemed unnecessary (Hey look, it's been a lighthearted read the first 85% (read on Ereader), wait..what's that? AHHH SUDDEN HORROR! THE GROUND IS FLESH!!! ARGHH!!! (5% later) Climatic battle in a desert. The end.) I also thought the ending seemed rushed.
Also reading Cole Protocol.

hyzaku

Mar 1, 2010
mikev7.0 said:
hyzaku said:
Passage to Dawn. Tenth book of the Legend of Drizzt series.
How appropriate that you're recommending books that star a character who's said "Greater indeed are those pleasures that are shared." I loved that line so much I used it in one of my speeches and I even used Drizz't's name, it was great watching all the stuffed shirts trying to pretend they knew who he was!

I bought my girlfriend the Dark Elf trilogy for christmas a couple of years ago, she loved it but I haven't read that series in years, I wish I could read the rest of the series since the first three were so great! (Nope I never did get to read Neverwinter Nights)
First off, totally awesome to quote Drizzt in a formal speech. That character says some amazingly truthful things.

The rest of the series is wonderful so far. This is my first time reading through it and I've been loving it. There are actually plenty of ways to get into the rest of the series. There are the soft-cover editions of Legend of Drizzt they started printing around '05 or 06' and have printed all the way to the Sea of Swords now which I've found readily in Barnes and Noble. There are also some collections that were printed that each contain 3 books of the series. Those I have seen both online at amazon and in bookstores (though rarer in stores I've noticed). The books from Transitions are also fairly common in soft-cover and contain more Drizzt stories.

Seriously, if you loved the first trilogy you owe it to yourself to read the rest.