Your curse when playing a game

Justyn Stahll

Jul 22, 2010
We all have some sort of curse when it comes to gaming, be it the RNG is especially nasty toward you, or you always get shot first no matter what you play.

You can be as general or specific as you want
Well here's mine, every single time I end up playing Planetside 2 I get hit by something, a tank, a plane, a car , it doesn't matter if it exists I will get hit by hit, always my team driving it of course. Glorious Terran Republic cereal box driver licenses

Full

Sep 3, 2012
My chair. I always almost tip it over.

Always.

Scares the shit out of me, especially if I were to be eating. Good thing I really don't while playing, though. I'm pretty sure I would need an entirely new floor by now.

Jun 11, 2009
I can never be the bad guy.

It might just be that most "evil" actions are hackneyed in modern big-name games but even if I make a new save file for the purpose of being the biggest dick in the world, there's always some remorseless or heartless action that I can just never bring myself to do.

This cropped up a lot in Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 (haven't played ME3), especially with the Rachni queen in the first game and the autistic math savant in the Project Overlord DLC in the second.

Weirdly enough, I had little trouble being an evil ************ in Infamous, but that's the exception by far.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Hey, see all that ammo I just found for that one really powerful gun?

Yeah, I'm going to save that for later.

*roll credits*

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
"Hey, it looks like you haven't saved your game for a while".....

"*insert game here* has stopped working".

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
"Oh hey, that's a nice PC you have there.
Installing games, huh? How about... how about those games don't work? That'd be cool, right?"

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
RNG always hates me and in a sly way too it will wait until a critical moment to fail on me. Specifically in Blood Bowl.

And in any sort of Bullet Hell type game I will be fine the crazier it gets but I'll develop a blind spot for the slow single shot that drifts lazily across the screen and I'll always get hit by it, usually by moving into it.

Dr. Doomsduck

Nov 24, 2011
Black and White.

That game just would not install on whatever computer I had at the time. I think I may have had three different disks for one, none of them would work. Then, when we got two, I had my own laptop, didn't work. Not even the illegally downloaded version worked on that thing.

Curse. I tell you.

StrangerQ

Oct 14, 2009
I have a story from last night.
I was playing Red dead redemption and decided to do hunting for stranger task "Daedalus and sons" this involving getting 20 feathers, 5 beaver furs and 10 red sage flowers.
So i go beaver hunting. FOR SIX GOD DAMN HOURS. After mind melting horror of beaver chase i change my plan to master hunter challenge which only involved me to hunt foxes. Guess what... In same area where not a single beaver was found and was full of foxes now filled with beavers and not a single bloody fox.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
"Holy jumpin' ****!"

Oh. You mean the other kind of curse.

Probably 'lag bombs' during a critical moment in an online match reducing my screen to stop-motion video. They're so OP that there isn't a single counter, and they're in every PC game.

Lur-King

Sep 22, 2012
My curse is I always enjoy the game waaaay too much fun when I first start playing. I get so enthralled by the world, story, or characters that I tend to ignore all of the problems. This goes for any game, so in essence I am having fun but the kicker is that I can never replay games because of it. If I ever go back, my standards are set back to when I had fun and I notice all of the faults the second time through, so it puts a damper on things. Ah well, fun the first time is better than no fun at all.

Bestival

May 5, 2012
Zhukov said:
Hey, see all that ammo I just found for that one really powerful gun?

Yeah, I'm going to save that for later.

*roll credits*
Yup, this. I can never bring myself to use anything good because "what if I NEEEEED it later?"
Strong potions, good ammo, grenades... hell, even currency ends up falling under this most of the time.
Even goes to the point where in WoW I never used long cooldown skills in case I needed them later.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
The more I try to focus on anything the more I itch. Video games, painting, doesn't matter. My ears, the back of my neck, my nose, my bad arm, something's gonna start itching.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
In party-based RPGs (usually JRPGs, as WRPGs let me customize the main character), I almost never play the main character, choosing instead to go with a side character that has a slightly different skill set than the inevitable "sword-wielding JRPG hero."

So what is my curse, you ask?

Whichever character I pick inevitably disappears from the party for a prolonged length of time, forcing me to play a completely different character than the one I'm used to. This almost always happens. I actually can't think of the last JRPG I played where the character I most liked playing as didn't pull a several-hours-long disappearing act.

(Examples off the top of my head: Kratos from Tales of Symphonia, Albel from Star Ocean 3, Jazz from Eternal Sonata... the list goes on.)

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
My beloved Razer DeathAdder, that suddenly goes full retard when I'm in desperate need of a fully functioning camera, like when kiting in Guild Wars 2.

Recently I gave up on my solar powered wireless keyboard, an ergonomically efficient little bastard, due to it powering down at the most unfortunate gaming moments. Replaced it with Razer Lycosa, that for some reason stops working every now and then, mostly when I'm about to finish off a flawless chain of attacks or when I'm down to 0.01% of my health in the middle of a fight, about to use an epic heal or dash to safety.

Now I'm merely waiting for those two motherfuckers to sync in trolling me. Think they're holding off until I start to play proper PvP or get to the higher levels of Fractals.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Every time I go top in LoL it will end up being against Teemo. Always. Pretty much all of my tops are hard countered by his bullshit. Irelia, Riven, Fiora, Shyvana... Maybe not Kayle since that's more of a "who can outkite who?" match up. Which I should win if I land my Qs and don't chase him into bushes post 6.

I want whoever thought up and designed Teemo as a character found and killed. He also needs more skins. The current 50 he has are getting stale.

Darius OP? Better make more Teemo skins. :/

Oh and I never usually get invaded when I jungle, but when I do it happens 5 games in a row. Lucky this is Normals and people never guard their own Blue while they're taking mine. Good job idiots! We've just swapped Blues! You are so good at this invade business!

6urk17s

Nov 16, 2010
I just lose interesting in the games I play. Almost all of them. Even if I like them or even love them, I will still stop playing it after 2 days or a week. There have been a few exceptions, but most of the time, I play them a few times, then I just stop and forget about them.

This makes me very sad. :<

Generic4me

Oct 10, 2012
I reload compulsively.

Just fired one shot in my machine gun that holds 200 rounds? Better reload.

Have a secondary weapon that I had to switch to then switch out? I will literally switch right back into it just to reload it before I'll continue shooting whatever it was that was supposed to be being shot.

I swear, if I ever fight in a war they'll find me dead with full magazines in all my weapons.