Your cutie mark

Dragunai

Feb 5, 2007
A leather glove with armour plating on it on the back of the hand and in bands along the wrist, the whole glove stopping a few inches short of my elbow. The fingers would have full finger rings shaped like talons on them for awesomeness value.

The plate on the back of the hand would most likely be my birth symbol / star sign.

If we're not discussing physical / material items then my God given talent is an aptitude to learn things very fast. I learnt the performing art of magic at age 11 and did my 1st paid show at 12, I learned to play advanced guitar licks and rock chords a month after I picked it up for the 1st time in my life, I learned Norwegian in 3 weeks after moving there (and forgot it just as fast once I moved back to the UK) and so on.

My 1 discernible talent is magic / sleight of hand but I prefer believing in my ability to learn shit double quick.

SulfuricDonut

Feb 25, 2009
Probably a guitar. It's pretty generic, but until I started playing guitar like a pro nobody had ever noticed me in school. Now it's pretty much all I'm recognized for by anyone (and even a little famous).

crazie_soviet

Feb 17, 2010
I'd have to say a set of bagpipes for the fact i picked them up when i was about eight and had a knack for playing them. Also they are great for annoying everypony around me or blocking out what they are saying =D

Lekonua

Mar 25, 2009
A computer monitor with a paintbrush on the screen.

Now excuse me while I go and draw that.

Photoshop, 10 seconds flat.

Okay, more like 2 or 3 minutes...but...yeah...

loc978

Sep 18, 2010

^That wouldn't be a computer symbol, would it..?^​
Because it's the first motherboard I ever bought with my own paycheck and installed in a case (a retrofitted AT 386 server case, no less) in building a computer exclusively for use by me... and it pretty well defines the things I'm best at.

...these things don't change later in life, do they? Because if they did, mine would incorporate a weapon of some kind due to my change in career path.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
This would be mine ^_^

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vEj4uwpiTS0/TbCiwhlfETI/AAAAAAAAAyA/IvGt9vJ9lWo/s400/Khorne_symbol.jpg

Davroth

The shadow remains cast!
Apr 27, 2011
pretty sure I'm still blank. Unless there is a symbol for indecisiveness.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
SckizoBoy said:
Alucard 11189 said:
It is essentially chemical biology, I don't know why my university named it like they did, as previously it was called Biochemistry and Chemical biology, but they changed it a couple of years before I enrolled. I must admit, I preferred the chemical biology side over the biochemistry. My research projects were in the study of Ruthenium complexes, and whether or not they intercalate into DNA, assessing various complexes' potential as an anticancer treatment, as well as the study of the Baker Venkataramen rearrangement, and their use in the production of Flavones.
Excuse me for a sec...

OK, I'll be honest, that turned me on a bit! =P
In all seriousness, that is some hardcore chemistry (the second one in particular, though that rearrangement looks like a derivative reaction of the Claisen rearrangement). Still, one of my friends is doing research into gold complexes as a possible anticancer drug (same sort of thing as your ruthenium project) and he's probably going to publish soon, lucky sod. As for me, I'm pissing about with a really annoying molecule (dihydroisocoumarin) that is a lot harder to synthesise than it looks (Diels-Alder reaction, simple as it is, is annoying when the diene is a silyl-ketene-acetal, grrr...).

But then I cross campus and beckon hungry ants to their inevitable deaths! For teh lulz!

Sorry... got a bit excited there.
Yeah, all the Baker Venkataramen rearrangement essentially is, is Claisen, I had to draw out and explain the Claisen condensation reaction in my presentation/oral exam, but you would be surprised how many in my group didn't know it, and I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the synthesis, the toughest was the Ruthenium chemistry was the most difficult as some of the bloody complexes didn't want to be synthesized! The [Ru(II)(dppz)(phen)2]2+ complex was quite easy to synthesize, as was the [Ru(II)(Phen)3]2+ but one of them (I forget which) just wouldn't bloody cooperate. Gold you say? That actually sounds very interesting, I want to know more about that, I will keep a look out for the article. As for your woes on your project, believe me, nothing is as simple as it seems on paper. We outlined a plan for the synthesis in the Ruthenium chemistry and it was simple on paper, but when your complexes won't cooperate it was enough for us to nearly fling the refluxing equipment at our Chemistry advisor (and then the IR machine decided to break, that was a really fun day)

I am glad I turned you on, it reinforces the idea that getting into the life sciences was indeed the correct choice :D.

Taekro

Nov 8, 2010
Two touching gears but like they were made of programming lines and circuits. I love physics, mechanisms and everything related to computers, which is why I'm in Mechanical Engineering and planning to specialize in Automation and Robotics...

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Alucard 11189 said:
Yeah, all the Baker Venkataramen rearrangement essentially is, is Claisen, I had to draw out and explain the Claisen condensation reaction in my presentation/oral exam, but you would be surprised how many in my group didn't know it, and I didn't have any problems whatsoever with the synthesis, the toughest was the Ruthenium chemistry was the most difficult as some of the bloody complexes didn't want to be synthesized! The [Ru(II)(dppz)(phen)2]2+ complex was quite easy to synthesize, as was the [Ru(II)(Phen)3]2+ but one of them (I forget which) just wouldn't bloody cooperate. Gold you say? That actually sounds very interesting, I want to know more about that, I will keep a look out for the article. As for your woes on your project, believe me, nothing is as simple as it seems on paper. We outlined a plan for the synthesis in the Ruthenium chemistry and it was simple on paper, but when your complexes won't cooperate it was enough for us to nearly fling the refluxing equipment at our Chemistry advisor (and then the IR machine decided to break, that was a really fun day)
I've never really done transition metal complex syntheses (pure organic or protein for me), though that sounds like the gadolinium complex chemistry another of my friends does at Imperial (medical molecular imaging). Hell I had trouble with a Wittig reaction early on. It's a Wittig, it should work at room temperature, under air, with just stirring. WORK, DAMN YOU! It works now, by the way, though not because of the shouting.

Still, our group is right royally buggered for the next month or so... some bright spark effectively pulled our funding. An administrative error, granted, but when we have shit loads of money but can't spend it (it's been like this for a couple weeks now), it inevitably pisses a lot of people off. When in the lab, most of the senior people... and consequently, everyone, have been in high dudgeon, except the mature student who continues, as ever, to make inappropriate jokes, for which we're thankful (especially when he started coming up with 'gay names' for the straight guys and 'straight names' for the gay guys).

I am glad I turned you on, it reinforces the idea that getting into the life sciences was indeed the correct choice :D.
*ahem* How do I respond to that...? You're welcome! XD