Your favorite Anime

Willinium

Jun 2, 2011
Good day Escapians. During this latest spring break of mine I have had the chance to watch a few different series of anime on Netflix. Of these anime s the two best that I watched were, "Girls Bravo"(my favorite but has too much fan-service) and "Hetalia: Axis Powers" ( it took some getting used to). Since I haven't seen any threads like this one in a while I though I'd start one up.

And since "Girls Bravo" was a Harem anime ( I believe it is called Ecci or Echi not sure) I want to say that my favorite pairing was Lisa Fukuyama X Yukinari Sasashi, as I found Miharu too bland and not having much of a personality beyond cute and nice, I don't think that Kirie would get with Yukinari as there is way to much beatings that she gives him without giving him a chance to explain( note she gets a LOT better in season two but still).

I got off topic there my apologies, but please tell us about your favorite animes and your favorite pairing if you have one.

Ciao!:)

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
Neon Genesis Evangelion.
I like weird things and that fits the criteria perfectly, it explores human nature, psychology and even has a mental breakdown in there. Also not a big fan of pairings myself so I ain't gunna post one.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
As of right now, it's probably a three-way tie between Baccano!, Steins;Gate, and Cowboy Bebop.

Baccano! hits all of the right absurdist qualities and feels like what would happen if Quentin Tarantino made an anime show. Mix in an excellent English dubbing voice cast and a catchy thematic opening tune, and it's just all sorts of memorable.

Steins;Gate is pretty existential and its plot can be construed as rather convoluted, but as a character piece it's a pretty fantastic piece of work. And I love the theme song...

And Cowboy Bebop is... well, Cowboy Bebop. It's like the Firefly of anime, I'd say. It still holds up really well, all across the board.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
Let's do it by genre~! Because it's easier.

Slice of Life: Clannad. No contest there, it's so down to Earth, barring the ending, that honestly, how can you not love it? o_O

Horror!: Higurashi. Oh come on tell me you didn't feel scared whenever the camera zoomed in on their crazy faces.

Comedy!!: Baccano. And apparently, Nichijou. I just started watching the latter, well more of a cursory glance of the episode and it's shaping up to be a very very promising experience. Also, it took me more than a year to finish Baccano. >.>

Ecchi: I'll admit. I dislike ecchi. Alot. It's irritating and a lot of good stories are lost on it. Kampher is an ecchi anime. It's also a smart one. It acknowledges the tropes existing within and will often poke fun at the design choices. Also, 4th wall breaking is always nice. Pity the second season never came about. ALSO, the production value is mind blowing. This anime obviously had good cash flow.

Action: Aaaaaah... hm... Gurren Lagann! Yea that's the one. Chicks dig giant robots. No wait, wrong cartoon.

Sci-Fi: Steins;Gate. It's amazing, it's awesome and it has TIME in it. Good stuff. Watch it nao. Also, Ghost in the Shell. And maybe Neon Genesis Evangelion. Haven't watched the latter so I don't even know why I'm including it. <.>

Western!: Hellsing(debatable, has a Western vibe to it, but is more in the realm of horror/action)... Trigun... Cowboy Bebop... Baccano!

Yeeeah.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Urusei Yatsura (The Return of Lum)

Not for everyone, but it's wackiness will always hold a very special place in my heart.
Named my daughter for a character who only makes a couple of appearances in the show.
My favorite couple is--of course--Lum & Ataru.

Other faves too close to call:
Outlaw Star
Vision of Escaflowne
Ruin Explorers
Sailor Moon

And my #1 vote for the anime everyone *should* see but very few have is Irresponsible Captain Tylor.

YuberNeclord

Jul 15, 2012
I've never been overly big into Anime, it's only in the last three or so years that I've watched movies like Akira, Ghost in the Shell and Ninja Scroll(mostly because I've got friends who are huge anime fans and have been pestering me to watch them for years).

As a kid the first Anime that I ever saw and got hooked on was Tekkaman Blade. I actually wouldn't mind going back and watching it again because I seem to remember it being quite awesome.

Another anime that I saw and got really hooked on was Guyver. I first saw the 90's OVA which I thought was pretty sweet. Years later I ended up seeing the series that first came out around 2005, which I think is a million times better than the 90's one.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Little Woodsman said:
Named my daughter for a character who only makes a couple of appearances in the show.
I hope it's a normal sounding name. Or that she can get a normal sounding nickname out of it.

My favourite anime is Ghost In the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The animation is beautiful, the characters relatable and beleievable, and it manages to not get too serious despite it's subject matter.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
My favorite anime has always been Rurouni Kenshin...I love me some samurai action.

Favorite manga is Bobobo-bobo-Bobobo. Quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever read/seen in my entire life, but you've definitely gotta have the right sense of humor for it or you'll probably find it to be stupid. Basically at any given moment, anything can happen...literally. It's about a guy with an afro that fights with his nosehairs.

Honorable mentions in the anime department:
Ghost in the Shell
Cowboy Bebop (you'll probably hear this one a lot)
I guess I'll say Neon Genesis, though I think it's a bit overrated.
Paranoia Agent
And I could go on but we'd be here all day.

knight steel

Jul 6, 2009
<----------I'm not sure,what could my favourite Anime possible be,I wonder?
Tell you what I'll give you three guesses:
1-Naruto
2-Bleach
3-one piece
Choose wisely or I'll Rasengan you ^_^

cowman2000

Nov 29, 2008
Oh, how much I love Cowboy Bebop. Sooooooooooo Good.
Angel Beats is absolutely incredible.
EDIT: I also finally got around to watching Samurai Champloo, also amazing.
Movies:
Any Ghibli (except for Tales of Earthsea)
Akira
Ghosts in a Shell
Attack of the Super Monsters (lel)

Navvan

Feb 3, 2011
Monster is always one of my top picks along with Serial Experiments Lain and Haibane Renmei. I don't really have a clear favorite, nor do I like the categorization as my preference is always in flux.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
These really:
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Puella Magi Madoka Magica
-Beyond the Clouds the Promised Place
-Elfen Lied
-FLCL
-Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
-Hellsing Ultimate
-Paranoia Agent
-Perfect Blue
-RahXephon
-Bokurano
-Angel Beats!
-Hell Girl

Captcha: i'm sorry dave

Tuddle

Nov 12, 2009
I'm stuck between choosing Neon Genesis Evangelion or Claymore. So I choose both.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Now this may be because I've only ever watched two animes, but I pick the Persona 4 Animation. To be fair, it's up against the Pokemon anime, which while it has the nostalgia factor, still isn't as good. Although at least the theme tune makes more sense than Persona's.

Also the anime had this piece of music that I just love.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I feel boring for picking this but it'd have to be FMA: Brotherhood. I just can't get enough of it. It's a real shame too, because I could be using this time gush about how good Bokurano is. But I can't, because it's not my favorite. Oh well.

Dense_Electric

Jul 29, 2009
The first Fullmetal Alchemist anime adaption, by a pretty wide margin (Brotherhood was alright, but got needlessly convoluted toward the end).

Top contenders for second place include:

- Death Note
- Durarara!!
- Baccano!
- FLCL
- Hellsing
- Soul Eater
- Witch Hunter Robin
- Ghost in the Shell
- Probably a bunch of others I'm forgetting

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
I've grown up with two shonen, namely Dragon Ball and Naruto. Love both to bits, but I'd be hard pressed to call either my absolute favorite. Neon Genesis Evangelion was an enthralling mindfuck, and Azumanga Daioh and Haruhi were the first and last of their kind I enjoyed. Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen is mindblowing, as is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. Tanoshii Moomin Ikka counts, right? Oh, oh, my favorite coming of age story? FLCL.

Welcome to the NHK. That's my absolute favorite. It's not all gold though, but as pathetic as this sounds, it got pretty personal for me at times. That probably had a lot to do with it.