Your favorite bad game: be it story, gameplay, art design, graphics, etc.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
God Hand.

The game is hideously ugly. Bad voice acting, bad sound design, bad level design, bad writing, and incredibly poorly balanced and hard as hell.

But HOLY SHIT is the combat system fantastic.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
God Hand.

The game is hideously ugly. Bad voice acting, bad sound design, bad level design, bad writing, and incredibly poorly balanced and hard as hell.

I agree with all of that except that I'd argue the combat system by itself is enough to elevate a game that's bad at everything else to be a good game. After all, the voice acting, sound design and writing don't matter as much as the actual gameplay to a game, and the level design and balance aren't bad enough to make the combat less fun.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
God Hand.

Glad to see another GH fan, but the voice acting is not that bad and most of the levels are decent enough, if basic. There was no annoying voices, though some lines are said akwardly, I feel most of it was done intentionally.

You're not Alexander.
I got a killer hand!

Reactions: NerfedFalcon

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever a lot. Despite all the trash that gets flung its way. I got to run around, shoot stuff into gibs and perform executions to restore my lif-ego and continue doing it. Yeah there were some dumb driving segments and some dumb physics puzzles and a lot of jank. But I did enjoy flinging shit everywhere with the mental age of a 10 year old. And the segments where you became tiny were interesting. People give it a lot of shit and sorta keep using the 15-year wait' as an argument. Which I feel is slightly nonsensical cause what we got just took the name and wasn't really developed for that long.

Also it's bloody Duke, and I don't think any amount of development time would've made him culturally relevant when it was released.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I'd have to say anything in the Tecmo's Deception series. And its only bad in the sense that the control layout, voice acting, and story are as bad as any in all of video games. And yet the gameplay is chef's kiss perfection. The gameplay is so good I hesitate to even call the game bad... but then you remember everything else about it is. Well; the sound track is bad but overall sound design isn't terrible, there's even a great cartoon bonk sound effect of the basin hitting someone's head and comedy squeak of someone slipping on the banana peel.

A really fun bad game is also the N64's Hybrid Heaven. Terrible turn based RPG, but the combat is full of professional wrestling moves. You move around in the game and when an encounter is triggered you are teleported early Final Fantasy style into a combat scene where you take turns dropping suplexes and DDT's on a variety of enemies. Leveling up lets you increase your pro-wrestling moves list... its hilarious. The joke wears thin long before the game is over, but the story is so bad there isn't a reason to even play it for anything other than the novelty anyway.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Also it's bloody Duke, and I don't think any amount of development time would've made him culturally relevant when it was released.
If it were anywhere between 1997/98(when the game was supposed to come out)-2004, probably. Anything afterward and you have a point.

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Metroid Other M.

The core of the game is solid. I had my fun with it and such.

Its just the story presentation and the use of only the Wiimote that brings it down.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Resident Evil 5.
Its just more RE 4. And Sheva Alomar > Ashley Grahm.
Joining the RE5 defense league. I scooped it up for a couple bucks and it really is just RE4 but slightly... more. Sometimes too much more. Is it as good as RE4? No, but it's not the trash heap I had always heard.

I don't really have a "bad game" that I can point to as my favorite, so here is a short list of widely disliked games I had fun with (nostalgia goggles fully engaged- I''m sure they wouldn't hold up all that well now)
-Dark Sector
-Star Fox Adventures
-Warhammer 40k Space Marine
-Splatterhouse - totally agree with the video. This is a hidden gem because of how ridiculous and bad it is.
-SRS Street Racing Syndicate (give me a break I was a young teen and hormonal)

Samtemdo8

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 25, 2020
Country
Private
Joining the RE5 defense league. I scooped it up for a couple bucks and it really is just RE4 but slightly... more. Sometimes too much more. Is it as good as RE4? No, but it's not the trash heap I had always heard.

I don't really have a "bad game" that I can point to as my favorite, so here is a short list of widely disliked games I had fun with (nostalgia goggles fully engaged- I''m sure they wouldn't hold up all that well now)
-Dark Sector
-Star Fox Adventures
-Warhammer 40k Space Marine
-Splatterhouse - totally agree with the video. This is a hidden gem because of how ridiculous and bad it is.
-SRS Street Racing Syndicate (give me a break I was a young teen and hormonal)
Whoever said Space Marine was a bad game?

And Star Fox Adventures is more of "what could have been" since it was gonna be its own original game that got Star Fox stitched to it.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
I don't know if I have a favorite bad game, since all games are fundamentally bad. However, I was thinking of one recently that leaves me torn, Front Mission Evolved. A third person action blight on the face of a grid style turn based strategy series. The combat and custom load outs for your mech are fun and varied with plenty of options, the story and characters are truly horrendous, but being able to give a fancy futuristic mech a club and shield along with jet lets to smack other mechs is just a lot of fun.

wings012

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 7, 2011
Country
Malaysia
I don't know if I have a favorite bad game, since all games are fundamentally bad. However, I was thinking of one recently that leaves me torn, Front Mission Evolved. A third person action blight on the face of a grid style turn based strategy series. The combat and custom load outs for your mech are fun and varied with plenty of options, the story and characters are truly horrendous, but being able to give a fancy futuristic mech a club and shield along with jet lets to smack other mechs is just a lot of fun.
Perhaps it was me not being that familiar with the Front Mission franchise, but I also really enjoyed Evolved. Yes the story was kinda dumb and I could've probably done without the on foot segments. And definitely a lot of random issues such as having no freedom to use the alternate leg types - quads and hover were locked to specific missions IIRC? But the game felt good to me, I enjoyed customizing my mech and slapping the shit out of other mechs.

Most FM fans seem to prefer to pretend the game never existed though.

xmbts

Still Approved by Shock
Legacy
May 30, 2010
Country
United States
Perhaps it was me not being that familiar with the Front Mission franchise, but I also really enjoyed Evolved. Yes the story was kinda dumb and I could've probably done without the on foot segments. And definitely a lot of random issues such as having no freedom to use the alternate leg types - quads and hover were locked to specific missions IIRC? But the game felt good to me, I enjoyed customizing my mech and slapping the shit out of other mechs.

Most FM fans seem to prefer to pretend the game never existed though.
Yeah, the rest of the series are depressing geopolitical drama, so Evolved being what it is just doesn't really gel with what series fans expect from the game. But on it's own gameplay merits I think it's rather good, the characters grated on me immensely though.

If you ever do want to give the older games a shot, Front Mission 3 is rather good and it's digitally available on the PS3 or Vita if you have one of those laying around. Squeenix has outright stated they're done with the IP, so if you're the swashbuckling sort you're not hurting anybody.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
I don't know if I have a favorite bad game, since all games are fundamentally bad.
Well, presumably if all games are bad, your favorite game is also your favorite bad game.