Your Favorite Game opening/intro

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Mass Effect 2, it made me speechless...it was...whoa I have not seen that before...

Jun 11, 2009
I'm not sure as to my favourite, but I have a couple.

Firstly, the intro the MGS4. Contrary to what most people seem to get out of it, I rather liked the plotgasm that was the game.

The old Call of Duty games always had good intros. Infinity Ward knew how to do them well, and the Russians always provided great fodder for "heroic last stand" moments.

What made this even better was the fact that the Russians were only handing out rifles to every other soldier, with the guy behind the rifleman getting ammo: "The first gets a rifle, the second, ammunition. When the first is killed, the second takes his rifle and fights!"

So, naturally, you get ammunition for the first bit, which only serves to immerse you further.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Johnny-Natrium said:
Iwata said:
Johnny-Natrium said:
Iwata said:
All three Killzones have, in my opinion, the best intros in gaming.
Wow.. All hail the king of ignorant- O wait I'm trolling.
Scratch
Personal taste. I don't judge that of others, you might want to consider the same philosophy. It's a good way to live.
Surely that's an honorable way of thinking, but it's flawed in some respects. When opinions of something being the best in the world, are based on not enough knowledge of the many better things, it's not wrong to judge this opinion.
"Not enough knowledge"? Assumptions much? I've been playing video games since the 80's. I've seen hundreds, if not thousands of intros. I stand by my opinion. If you think that is somehow wrong, then the problem's most definitely on you.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I have a soft spot for this intro:

I love the whole game as well, and I find that this introduction sets the perfect tone for the game :)

Johnny-Natrium

May 23, 2010
Iwata said:
Johnny-Natrium said:
Iwata said:
Johnny-Natrium said:
Iwata said:
All three Killzones have, in my opinion, the best intros in gaming.
Wow.. All hail the king of ignorant- O wait I'm trolling.
Scratch
Personal taste. I don't judge that of others, you might want to consider the same philosophy. It's a good way to live.
Surely that's an honorable way of thinking, but it's flawed in some respects. When opinions of something being the best in the world, are based on not enough knowledge of the many better things, it's not wrong to judge this opinion.
"Not enough knowledge"? Assumptions much? I've been playing video games since the 80's. I've seen hundreds, if not thousands of intros. I stand by my opinion. If you think that is somehow wrong, then the problem's most definitely on you.
Well yes it was an assumption and I knew it all along but if you've actually experienced some of the much better intros then I'm appalled but content with your opinion.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
I have a fair few intros that I like but one that I haven't seen posted as a video yet at least is the Borderlands intro, so here it is :D

So is Borderlands styled like a film made in that game's universe? What with those false credits and everything...

It was a cool intro.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Allow me to introduce something you yourself said in another thread that vastly improves your original quote:

Johnny-Natrium said:
Well yes it was an assumption and I knew it all along but if you've actually experienced some of the (opinion part)much better(/opinion part) intros then I'm appalled but content with your opinion.
See, these things work both ways. You want people to respect your opinions, then start by enforcing that sentiment yourself.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Borderlands intro mostly due to that fantastic Cage the Elephant song, but my all time favourite is the Guild Wars starting intro:

Johnny-Natrium

May 23, 2010
Iwata said:
Allow me to introduce something you yourself said in another thread that vastly improves your original quote:

Johnny-Natrium said:
Well yes it was an assumption and I knew it all along but if you've actually experienced some of the (opinion part)much better(/opinion part) intros then I'm appalled but content with your opinion.
See, these things work both ways. You want people to respect your opinions, then start by enforcing that sentiment yourself.
Well I knew full well what I was saying there and there's no need for "improvement"
I'm not out for respect for my opinions really, I treat the kind of opinions that say "This is better than That" more like facts. There's a lot of arguments involved and I'm sure to enforce my opinions with arguments, in my mind, before coming to a conclusion as to which would be the best of a certain group.
Killzone is, just factually, not the franchise with the best intros around.
Now if I were in a conversation with you, I would explain this all to you, elaborately, but this is costing me too much time. I really don't care all that much what you think of this now.

Iwata

Feb 25, 2010
Johnny-Natrium said:
Iwata said:

Johnny-Natrium said:
Well I knew full well what I was saying there and there's no need for "improvement"
I'm not out for respect for my opinions really, I treat the kind of opinions that say "This is better than That" more like facts. There's a lot of arguments involved and I'm sure to enforce my opinions with arguments, in my mind, before coming to a conclusion as to which would be the best of a certain group.
Killzone is, just factually, not the franchise with the best intros around.
Now if I were in a conversation with you, I would explain this all to you, elaborately, but this is costing me too much time. I really don't care all to much what you think of this now.
That makes two of us, buddy. Have a nice life. ;)

And thanks for not wasting any more of my time with your wonderful "my opinion is fact" philosophy.

tsb247

Mar 6, 2009
Avayu said:
I've got to agree with several other people here: Dawn of War has one of the greatest intro cinematics and Bioshock has the greatest opening.

tsb247 said:
Honorable mention: World in Conflict New York Cinematic (not an intro, but still awesome!)

-snip vid-
The actual intro for that game was well made, but the first part didn't really fit the tone of the game. So I'd give an honourable mention to the actual WiC campaign intro, if just for its cheesy hilariousness.
"Unmarked containerships" ... with tanks and gunships
Police car driving away: "America is under attack!"
"The vultures have been fed and the world has seen our might ... Now, clear the skies!"
Really, it is as if the whole cinematic isn't meant to be taken seriously up to that point.
I always thought the WiC intro was cool, but it's that, "Cheesiness," that keeps me from truly enjoying it.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
I remember back in 6th grade that when we finished all our assigned work and no tests were coming up that there was a computer in the back with a Green toy soldier figurine FPS. The teacher didn't have the disk for it but all of us (us meaning boys) would crowd into the back and watch the opening cinematic over and over...and pretty much everything final fantasy...and new vegas.

Sep 14, 2009
Terminate421 said:

Gets you in the mood really well
i will admit i always did love this one, the narration/pep talk is amazing background for whats going on and always gets me in the mood to kill some grubs

OT:

this is one i have always loved, and always made me pumped to go fuck some zombies up

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
The intro to singularity.

It is incredibly well done and is actually pretty believable.
http://youtu.be/iEI4AyESckI

It is also the game that sparked my intrest in soviet russia