Your favorite game soundtracks.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
Soundtracks are an amazing thing to have in video games. The 100 heartless battle from kingdom hearts was made even better with it's soundtrack, Total War's music pumped me up for every battle and Amnesia's soundtracks is the main cause for annual pant pooping.

What are your favorite soundtracks from games? Doesn't have to be something that you really loved, it can also be something that you feel the experience of the game would never be anything close if the music wasn't around.

Mine are:
Dark Souls. Sif's theme in particular. It thrusted grief inside my heart.
Xcom Enemy Unknown. I loved Micheal Cann's Icarus when a friend drew my attention to it. However his work on Xcom was fantastic. This is how Sci-Fi music should be done. My favorite is this one.

xShredd

Jan 24, 2013
Who can forget this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKIx0CmAZM8

Still gives me the chills.

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
I found nothing captured a games essence more than this track from Silent Hill 2. It fits the tone and emotions of the game perfectly.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Why, all of the Final Fantasy series' music of course!

Final Fantasy X's being my favourite.

Final Fantasy in general has great soundtracks.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
"Icarus" Deus Ex: Human Revolution <youtube=ZiN6t7K7txw>
Absolutely, positively sets the stage for the improved Deus Ex setting. The feel, the clashing of old and new, the hint that things just aren't as simple as they look.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I'll agree with FFX, but for me, nothing beats Braid. The OST's stayed with me long after i've had my fill of the gameplay.

<youtube=MWpEcxRD_wI>

karma9308

Jan 26, 2013
Chrono Trigger
FF6
FF10
Mass Effect series
Ocarina of Time
Civilization IV

Just don't ask me to pick my favorite. I love them all equally.
Warning: I've got 8 videos under the tag.
Edit: OOH! Forgot one!

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
FFX has a great soundtrack. maybe it sticks with me more because it was my first.

mega man games have perfect soundtracks though, especially the NES ones and X.

starcraft I and II's soundtracks are also awesome.

MasterBrief

Nov 14, 2012
Zelda will always be number one in my book forever and some of the stuff that spawned from their music like Theophany is awesome as well. The Metroid series had awesome music, Prime especially. Bioshock, Elder Scrolls, Mass Effect, Chrono Trigger, Halo, Castlevania, Megaman. I'm actually surprised at how many games have really good music.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
Shatter is an Arkanoid/Breakout style game with gravity manipulation, which is to say pretty basic. It tells the story of a lone paddle on it's crusade to free it's homeworld from invaders, which is to say pretty basic. The music on the other hand, is an entirely different story. By the time I got to the third level or so, I realized that I was progressing mainly to hear what the next level's music would sound like. I was never disappointed. The fast-paced, brick shattering, high-score fest that was the gameplay was merely the enjoyable bridge between the tracks.

Had the soundtrack been different or mostly absent, it would have likely been a mundane experience that I wouldn't think anything of. The music provided a good deal of immersion and kept me grooving on through (literally, I felt almost lost in how great the music was while playing). The bass, percussion and a good deal of the melodies I can only describe as "amazing" and "bouncy". The latter adjective being amazingly appropriate, given that it's a game about bouncing a spherical weapon of destruction around.

Here's three tracks from the game:

Not enough can be said about Hotline Miami. Great game. Simple, yet deep when you make the effort of peeling the layers off. The music plays a large role in helping you along the way, as you'll notice that it's strange, slow and "hazy" during times of relative safety (to relay the protagonist's deranged state) in contrast to the adrenaline fueled bouts of extreme violence and danger that encompass your average "mission" (where the music is fast, electronic and pumps you up like a good '80s film).

One of the most notable tracks that they use is what plays after you kill all the enemies in a level (thus completing it). You walk through the building, now full of blood and the mangled corpses of Russian mafia members, back to your car while an empty sounding, ambient track plays. You have to backtrack through the entire level (or at least a good deal of it) to get to the car, meaning the game forces you to just look around at the violence that you cause (and even directly asks "do you enjoy hurting others?" at a few points).

Because some of the best music plays while doing so, and a good deal of the "fun" in the game definitely is had while doing so, you really have to wonder. The following three tracks is basically what a level sounds like. Your apartment where you get the briefing on the answering machine, the level itself and the music that plays upon the level's completion:

Sorry about all the words, I'm a bit of a music buff.
I would have put up some classics or more ambient tracks, but these ones are just too good.
Give 'em a look!

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Shadow of the colossus easily, I mean seriously, who can hate this GREAT music?

and lets not forget The Elder Scrolls, Jeremy soule is a gaming music god.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well this is probably my favourite song ever, nevermind favourite video game song.

Most of the character themes in UMVC3 are really freaking good as well.

"Objection! I've got all I need!"

Air Troll Mode, Activate.

Theme of 1v3's

The Ace Attorney games have really good music as well. As an Ace Attorney fan, Phoenix Wright comebacks are what I live for in UMVC3.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
I'm not going to share videos, or anything. Because it's really the whole sound track, and you should all look it up.

Bastion.

Best video game soundtrack ever.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
Two of my favourite soundtracks are from Heroes of Might and Magic 4 and Age of Empires(the first one).

The fourth edition of HoMM might not have been the best in terms of gameplay and all that, but it had a really great soundtrack:

AoE had amazing music, as well as being an awesome game overall:

The complete soundtracks of both games are worth checking out though, as most of the tracks are great.

Tuesday Night Fever

Jun 7, 2011
These are the game soundtracks I tend to listen to when I'm in the mood for soundtracks:

System Shock 2 (PC)
Deus Ex (PC)
Fallout (PC)
Fallout 2 (PC)
StarCraft (PC)
Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn (PC)
UN Squadron (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (SNES)
GoldenEye 007 (N64)

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
SnakeCL said:
"Icarus" Deus Ex: Human Revolution <youtube=ZiN6t7K7txw>
Absolutely, positively sets the stage for the improved Deus Ex setting. The feel, the clashing of old and new, the hint that things just aren't as simple as they look.
This. That game had a fucking great soundtrack. Other favourites of mine are Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Double Agent, Deus Ex, Red Dead Redemption and Max Payne 3.

cutecuddely

Apr 15, 2010
Spec ops the line is defiantly one for me. For those that played it the music at the end just suited it perfectly. In my opinion.
Mass effect 2 was a good one. Especially suicide run.
Arkham city's was good as well.

Slenn

Cosplaying Nuclear Physicist
Nov 19, 2009
For me, my favorite soundtracks go to....

Starcraft:
A lot of the music felt appropriate for each race that you played in the original. The Terrans felt rugged and war torn, but with an uplifting feeling that made it appropriate for their struggle. The Zerg were organic, skittery, evolving and a downright plague. The Protoss music was hypnotic, ambient, and also very sad-toned.

Legend of Mana:
I would probably consider this game to be a "Big game for little hearts." Most of everything in this game comes from a very childlike perspective; the characters, the backgrounds, the feel, the story, the music, even the philosophy. Children are big thinkers more than we give them credit for. And its music easily represents that feel.

Riven:
A stark contrast to its prequel, Myst, Riven's music was mysterious, ambient, alien, and gave you the feeling that the world you were in really felt like it was on the verge of disaster. While some may say most of the soundtrack feels like it's in the same key, I still enjoy it to this day, because I can't think of any other game soundtrack that is quite like it.

crusador90

Nov 16, 2011
There are many game soundtracks that are dear to my heart, Sonic the Hedgehog (Pick a game in the franchise, any game; it has AWESOME music.), Super Mario (Ditto), Castlevania, Contra, Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, Halo, Street Fighter, Portal, Final Fantasy, MegaMan (Nearly each game and all of the spin-off series), God of War, Chrono Trigger, Deus Ex.... yeah. The list goes on and on.

But however, there's one game's soundtrack that sticks out in my mind even greater than that... to a point where I took a reshining to the entire genre it represents, and I want to share that game's soundtrack with all you Escapist fellows.

Has anyone played Madworld on the Nintendo Wii before? If not and you have a Wii/Wii U, I suggest you go to your nearest GameStop, Hole-in-the-wall game store, or look online on Amazon or Ebay or whatever and go buy it right now. If you have any income to speak off, it shall cost you practically nothing. Go do it right now .

Besides playing an amazing, ultra-violent beat-em-up made by Platinum game, and published by Sega, the one thing that stands out from the game more than anything, even the hilarious in-game commentary by the game's announcers Howard and Kreese (Who are voiced by Greg Proops and John DiMaggio respestively), is the soundtrack. The entire game's soundtrack is Hip-hop soundtrack formed entirely from obscure underground artists (These artists are all REALLY REALLY obscure) and it is so awesome that it motivated me to search for more underground Hip-Hop tracks like this game's soundtrack.

Unless you REALLY REALLY hate Rap and Hip-Hop and have a personal vendetta with each and every artist as well as the entire genre (And that's a lot of hate, man), you will like this game's soundtrack)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Recently, the soundtrack to Anarchy Reigns is pretty much the best thing about it.
Edit:
crusador90 said:
Quoted for relevance.

Also Journey is just fucking... nice.